PDA

View Full Version : Wacom Announces Pressure-Sensitive Intuos Creative Stylus for iPad

MacRumors
Aug 19, 2013, 08:25 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/19/wacom-announces-pressure-sensitive-intuos-creative-stylus-for-ipad/)

Wacom today debuted (http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/wacom-delivers-serious-creative-fun-to-the-ipad-220279071.html) its Intuos Creative Stylus (via Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/19/wacom-intuos-creative-stylus-for-ipad/)),*which uses Bluetooth 4.0, integrated shortcut buttons, and 2,048 levels of pressure sensitivity to create "a realistic pen-on-paper feel" when drawing on an iPad. It's designed for sketching, drawing, and painting and aims to deliver "professional-grade performance" to iPad users.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/08/wacom.jpg
The pen comes in blue or black brushed aluminum with a case, extra nibs, and a replacement AAA battery. It is compatible with the third generation iPad, the fourth generation iPad, and the iPad mini. While it is meant to work with the company's Bamboo Paper app, it will apparently be compatible with other apps as well, including SketchBook Pro (http://appshopper.com/entertainment/sketchbook-pro), ArtRage (http://appshopper.com/entertainment/artrage), and ProCreate (http://appshopper.com/entertainment/procreate).Providing the power to produce professional results on an iPad, the Intuos Creative Stylus's advanced technology comes in form of a best-in-class pen experience and pressure sensitivity of 2048 pressure levels. This means that it can reproduce the feel and artistic control of traditional brushes and markers, so it's ideal for sketching, illustrating and image editing. It is also highly responsive, even reacting to light strokes, while rejecting unintentional touches when used with compatible creative apps that integrate Wacom's industry-leading technology.In addition to announcing the stylus, Wacom has released a new version of its Bamboo Paper app. Version 2.0 of the app includes Tumblr and Dropbox sharing, along with premium notebooks, improved palm rejection software, new color palettes, and new tools.

Wacom's Intuos Creative Stylus will be available in Best Buy Stores for $99 beginning in October.

Bamboo Paper (http://appshopper.com/productivity/bamboo-paper-wacom-notes-for-stylus) is an iPad app that can be downloaded for free from the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bamboo-paper-notebook/id443131313?mt=8)]

Article Link: Wacom Announces Pressure-Sensitive Intuos Creative Stylus for iPad (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/19/wacom-announces-pressure-sensitive-intuos-creative-stylus-for-ipad/)

komodrone
Aug 19, 2013, 08:26 PM
my gf thinks my pen is too sensitive to pressure. :(

hobbbz
Aug 19, 2013, 08:30 PM
buy this one for less http://rcm-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=cuup-20&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=B009K448L4

dpace32
Aug 19, 2013, 08:53 PM
Any reason why this wouldnt be good for note taking? I think every stylus I have tried with Pentultimate has been terrible! Or has anyone tried the Wacom Bamboo (http://bit.ly/1dnMAEF) iPad stylus?

AudiA4
Aug 19, 2013, 08:54 PM
Fat nib. Fail.

p.s. It may be hardware related, but Samsung's Note phablet and tablet seem to get the fine nib thing down just fine.

dpace32
Aug 19, 2013, 09:02 PM
Fat nib. Fail.

p.s. It may be hardware related, but Samsung's Note phablet and tablet seem to get the fine nib thing down just fine.

There are small nib iPad stylus available too: http://adonit.net/jot/pro/

Jessica Lares
Aug 19, 2013, 09:05 PM
Mine mine mine mine mine. :D

I'm so glad it uses batteries. That is a nice thing.

MacFan23
Aug 19, 2013, 09:16 PM
Any reason why this wouldnt be good for note taking? I think every stylus I have tried with Pentultimate has been terrible! Or has anyone tried the Wacom Bamboo (http://bit.ly/1dnMAEF) iPad stylus?

I have, I like it.
My everyday stylus is the Adonit Jot Pro.

Renzatic
Aug 19, 2013, 09:17 PM
Fat nib. Fail.

That's because they have a Wacom digitizer built into the screen alongside the capacative.

I'm still holding out hope Apple eventually goes this route with the iPad line.

macduke
Aug 19, 2013, 09:31 PM
I'm finally upgrading from the iPad 2 when the iPad 5th gen comes out this autumn and I'm definitely getting a pressure sensitive Bluetooth stylus. I do wish that Apple would build-in pressure sensitivity. I want an 11" or 12" iPad Pro with pressure sensitive display, quad-core A7, 4GB ram, 128GB SSD, and USB port for $999. Then I want either Apple's Pro apps ported over or some of Adobe's CC apps like Lightroom, Illustrator, and a more advanced Photoshop Touch. I want to design stuff while in my big brown comfy chair.

HiRez
Aug 19, 2013, 09:33 PM
Why the bit about "available in Best Buy stores"? Does that mean it's not available outside of Best Buy stores? If it is, why the special plug for Best Buy? That sentence was written by MacRumors, not Wacom, at least that's how it appears in the post.

APlotdevice
Aug 19, 2013, 10:01 PM
Finally!

It is amazing how slow Wacom was to bringing this pressure sensitive stylus to the iPad. They could have beaten everyone else to the market, but instead chose to release various pieces of metal with a bit of rubber on one end.

ThunderSkunk
Aug 19, 2013, 10:15 PM
It was easy to understand Jobs' & Apples initial refusal to include a stylus and digitizer in the original ipad line. It established that iOS is first & foremost about touch-selecting things from preprogrammed menus, and forced devs to write apps to that effect, not just port over their existing cluttered UI's and make people hunt and peck for commands with a stylus and magnifying glass.

But Good. Great! You've established that. Everybody gets it. Now, can we please have our dang digitizer so we can write words and draw sketches quickly and legibly? I mean it's ridiculous.

But it feels like Apple is just going to milk cycle upgrades with little performance bumps as long as they can, instead of expanding the hardware functionality or intended use. Like they've reached the innovative cul-de-sac that paralyzes so many inventive companies.

...but hey, we get a fingerprint scanner on the home button. How incredibly useful.

ronjon10
Aug 19, 2013, 10:24 PM

I've tried these and found them to be marginally better than thicker nubs, but still not great.

cdmoore74
Aug 19, 2013, 10:39 PM
Fat nib. Fail.

Funny, I'm on a Note 10.1 that I bought last week for $250 from walmart. And they want $100 for this?

MacRumorUser
Aug 19, 2013, 10:55 PM
They also just announced an Android Tablet and a Windows 8 Tablet based Cintiq 13HD....

Now to decide whether to send back my Cintiq 13HD when the courier delivers it tomorrow and wait for the new model to begin shipping later next month.

----------

Finally!

It is amazing how slow Wacom was to bringing this pressure sensitive stylus to the iPad. They could have beaten everyone else to the market, but instead chose to release various pieces of metal with a bit of rubber on one end.

Bluetooth 4 adoption was probably why it didn't appear originally, but yeah its something iPad owners have been crying out for.

My only concern is that it still has a big fat nib so I'm not sure how it will truly replicate outer normal Wacom pen experience.

----------

Fat nib. Fail.

Yeah fat nib is a concern to me and must admit I felt disappointed seeing it...

rhinosrcool
Aug 19, 2013, 11:28 PM
Fat nib. Fail.

I agree. I should mention that I have a Note 8;)

jclo
Aug 20, 2013, 01:44 AM
Why the bit about "available in Best Buy stores"? Does that mean it's not available outside of Best Buy stores? If it is, why the special plug for Best Buy? That sentence was written by MacRumors, not Wacom, at least that's how it appears in the post.

That is actually directly from the Wacom press release, FYI, so I assume Wacom is teaming up with Best Buy to distribute this stylus. I do not know if it will be available outside of Best Buy, as it only specified Best Buy as the place to get it. Here's exactly what the release says:

Pricing and Availability
The Intuos Creative Stylus ($99 USD) will be available at the beginning of October from Best Buy.

The Man
Aug 20, 2013, 03:17 AM
I don't think Apple will add a digitizer anytime soon. For one, Apple wants the iPad to be thinner, and a digitizer makes it thicker. But most of all, I think they are content with the ecosystem of third parties creating accessories for their iPad. There's no other platform with more third parties making accessories than Apple's. Is it the best solution for people using a stylus? No. But I think for the number of people using a stylus daily it is nothing for Apple to worry about.

theBB
Aug 20, 2013, 03:43 AM
buy this one for less http://rcm-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=cuup-20&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=B009K448L4
$20 cheaper, but mediocre reviews and you seem to be trying to get affiliate commissions.

The Man
Aug 20, 2013, 04:08 AM
$20 cheaper, but mediocre reviews and you seem to be trying to get affiliate commissions.

Yeah, it seems you must apply much force to register that pen. I'll probably buy the Wacom, because they have much expertise. I only need a pen like 25% of the time, but it will be nice to have palm rejection and pressure sensitivity. A bit pricey, but I hope it will last me through several generations of iPads.

APlotdevice
Aug 20, 2013, 04:41 AM
Bluetooth 4 adoption was probably why it didn't appear originally, but yeah its something iPad owners have been crying out for.

Well even still Apple has had Bluetooth 4.0 capable hardware for almost a year and a half now.

tuyylihk
Aug 20, 2013, 08:01 AM
I am using this too.
I love it butů the pen cap is very easy to loose when I put it in my pocket.

Waiting for iPen.

blackcrayon
Aug 20, 2013, 08:16 AM
You could also look at the Hex3 Jaja, they have these new Teflon tips that are sort of an "open" disc so they give you a pretty small point to look at...they also glide across the screen pretty well and have less chance of dragging grit. They don't seem to have palm rejection like the jot touch pro though.

cheesyappleuser
Aug 20, 2013, 08:26 AM
Adonit Jot Pro all the way.
Sorry but THAT is good. And is a pen, not a stylus

Who needs a $50 iPen when you have the Jot Pro?!

sik08amg
Aug 20, 2013, 08:32 AM
If only I could draw....

CylonGlitch
Aug 20, 2013, 08:46 AM
If only I could draw....

Only if someone could read my writing . . .

chickenbiskit
Aug 20, 2013, 09:37 AM
A little bit late, but cool news. Personally, I still love my Jot Touch 4 (http://adonit.net/jot/touch/). I can't ever go back to a rubber tip.

moviefanaddict2
Aug 20, 2013, 10:31 AM
Wonder if it will have a palm rejection feature? If not I think I'll opt for the Adonit touch 4. Have the jot mini and love it. But need to rest my palm.

Glassed Silver
Aug 20, 2013, 10:32 AM
That's because they have a Wacom digitizer built into the screen alongside the capacative.

I'm still holding out hope Apple eventually goes this route with the iPad line.

This, this seriously makes me consider the Note 10.1. If only they updated it.

It's funny, because there a lot I want from the iPad AND the Note 10.1...
Apple... please. Capacitive only doesn't cut it and having third party accessories that first have to partner with apps to work... that's very unappealing.

Glassed Silver:mac

cheesyappleuser
Aug 20, 2013, 10:57 AM
Wonder if it will have a palm rejection feature? If not I think I'll opt for the Adonit touch 4. Have the jot mini and love it. But need to rest my palm.

That sounds like first-world problems.
Irritating answers aside, Notability has a working palm rest, should try that.

JohnGrey
Aug 20, 2013, 01:40 PM
I really do not understand Apple's reluctance to incorporate pen-sensitive technology into their tablet products, be it Wacom (preferable) or proprietary. Something like the retina mini, yes, you can argue about cannibalizing sales from the iPad, but there are no competing products in Apple's lineup that would be hurt by the addition.

I've seen the iPad touted as a platform for media content creation. To be taken seriously, it needs to provide the some version of the tools used for the Desktop. Maybe then Adobe would euthanize Ideas and give us a full-throated tablet version of Illustrator. If Apple were to do this, in the rumored 12", and release a retina mini, all of my tablet needs would be met. As it stands, I'm giving serious thought to the Galaxy Note 12.2 due in October.

handsome pete
Aug 20, 2013, 03:20 PM
They also just announced an Android Tablet and a Windows 8 Tablet based Cintiq 13HD....

Now to decide whether to send back my Cintiq 13HD when the courier delivers it tomorrow and wait for the new model to begin shipping later next month.

Yeah fat nib is a concern to me and must admit I felt disappointed seeing it...

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I ordered a 13HD months ago through Amazon but ended up cancelling the order after they kept pushing back the ship date. Now I'm glad I did. The Companion Hybrid model looks like it might be up my alley. I don't need a fully functional Windows 8 tablet.

And the fat nib on the iPad stylus kills it for me.

According to the Wacom site, it does.

Kreme
Aug 21, 2013, 11:51 PM
I already broke down and bought the Galaxy Note 8 for my artistic and note-taking needs a few months ago. I still use my iDevices for everything else, but I'm tired of kidding myself when it comes to precision. Android still feels like beta and the apps just aren't there--I miss Procreate and Art Studio, but it meets my needs where Apple doesn't.

Unfortunately, Fat nibs don't offer the precision I need, and the disk on the jots aren't quite the same as a 'real' stylus. They're annoying in a different way. Plus, two of them scratched my moshi protectors. I don't like that, and I don't like having to turn off global settings to get palm rejection. It's just silly to have to keep jumping through hoops. I also don't have to worry about the charge running out on my Galaxy's stylus and I'm tired of waiting for Apple to pull the heads out of their arses.

Wacom has always made excellent products, and kudos to them for creating this stylus. I'm sure it will be up to their standards, but this is nothing more than a bandaid for a bigger problem that Apple continuously ignores.

I'll be passing this one by and wait for a newer version of the Galaxy 10, or pigs to fly, whichever comes first.

coldmack
Aug 22, 2013, 01:55 AM
Adonit Jot Pro all the way.
Sorry but THAT is good. And is a pen, not a stylus

Who needs a $50 iPen when you have the Jot Pro?!

Last I checked the Jot Pro doesn't offer palm rejection or full pressure sensitivity, which this does offer in some apps.

cheesyappleuser
Aug 22, 2013, 06:56 AM
Last I checked the Jot Pro doesn't offer palm rejection or full pressure sensitivity, which this does offer in some apps.

Notability offers palm rejection.
And although the Jot Pro doesn't offer full pressure sensitivity, don't believe it deserves an extra price tag.

But, hey, it's just an opinion :)

Kreme
Aug 22, 2013, 05:14 PM

Yes. I have several of them, as do my family members. We love everything Wacom. I can't tell you whether you'll like the Bamboo or not. I can only tell you what they're like.

They feel like a regular stylus. The barrel has a nice feel and the grip is very comfortable for my average-sized hands. They also have some very nice colour options.

The tip is somewhat mushy against the screen and takes some getting used to. It's a bit too soft. It requires an even pressure to get the best results and the rubber drags across the screen instead of firmly gliding like most styli.

Tapping (or dotting) will sometimes result in the metal behind the rubber nib to hit the screen with a subtle knocking sound. I haven't seen it damage any of the three screens or their protectors, but I have seen the rubber nib prematurely tear due to this action from the other two owners. I don't have this problem. I'm assuming it might be because the squishy nib annoyed me so much that I stuffed a tiny amount of cotton behind it to make it firmer. Careful though, too much cotton renders the stylus completely useless. it takes trial, error, and a little bit of patience to get the right amount. Mine works great without any tapping, and I haven't had to replace a nib yet.

Kreme
Aug 23, 2013, 07:52 PM
I just took a closer look at this stylus on the Wacom site. Seems that it takes a non-standard battery (AAAA) that lasts 150 hrs, and isn't rechargeable. This would give a person approximately 50 days if they were to use it on an average of 3 hrs a day, assuming I did my math correctly.

I have to admit that it kind of peeked my attention for a bit until I read that and took a closer look at it. Guess I'll be sticking with my Note for a while.:(

APlotdevice
Aug 23, 2013, 08:04 PM
I just took a closer look at this stylus on the Wacom site. Seems that it takes a non-standard battery (AAAA) that lasts 150 hrs, and isn't rechargeable. This would give a person approximately 50 days if they were to use it on an average of 3 hrs a day, assuming I did my math correctly.

I have to admit that it kind of peeked my attention for a bit until I read that and took a closer look at it. Guess I'll be sticking with my Note for a while.:(

AAAA is a standard. It's just not as common as AA or AAA.

Kreme
Aug 24, 2013, 01:03 PM
AAAA is a standard. It's just not as common as AA or AAA.

Guess I should choose my words more carefully. My interpretation of non-standard is basically similar to uncommon as opposed to 'a standard'.

To most commoners, standard generally means wide usage and easy access. It is widely accepted and in broad usage. 'A standard' is generally something that has been standardized in the fact that it exists by approval of one faction or another, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's in wide usage or easy to find. My bad. I was referring to the fact that AAAA's aren't easily accessible or widely accepted at this point in time.

Next time, I will say 'uncommon' to help avoid confusion.

Anyway, it's hard enough for me to find anything local as it is. I'm not inclined to purchase a product that makes me feel like I'm going on an Easter Egg hunt every time I need a new battery. It baffles me as to why Wacom chose this route instead of making the device rechargeable.

asthamapheo
Aug 25, 2013, 08:37 AM
too expensive and a really fat nib, no thanks, there are better alternatives out there.

harlemexplosion
Aug 25, 2013, 08:56 AM
Guess I should choose my words more carefully. My interpretation of non-standard is basically similar to uncommon as opposed to 'a standard'.

To most commoners, standard generally means wide usage and easy access. It is widely accepted and in broad usage. 'A standard' is generally something that has been standardized in the fact that it exists by approval of one faction or another, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's in wide usage or easy to find. My bad. I was referring to the fact that AAAA's aren't easily accessible or widely accepted at this point in time.

Next time, I will say 'uncommon' to help avoid confusion.

Anyway, it's hard enough for me to find anything local as it is. I'm not inclined to purchase a product that makes me feel like I'm going on an Easter Egg hunt every time I need a new battery. It baffles me as to why Wacom chose this route instead of making the device rechargeable.

When they are the best and most trusted... they tend to become rather eccentric.. :rolleyes:

peteding
Sep 8, 2013, 06:49 AM
Anyone used the jot touch 4? I find it does not work with the note taking app that I got. I am thinking of getting it rid of it.

ct1211
Sep 8, 2013, 07:53 PM
I'm finally upgrading from the iPad 2 when the iPad 5th gen comes out this autumn and I'm definitely getting a pressure sensitive Bluetooth stylus. I do wish that Apple would build-in pressure sensitivity. I want an 11" or 12" iPad Pro with pressure sensitive display, quad-core A7, 4GB ram, 128GB SSD, and USB port for $999. Then I want either Apple's Pro apps ported over or some of Adobe's CC apps like Lightroom, Illustrator, and a more advanced Photoshop Touch. I want to design stuff while in my big brown comfy chair.

If any of you had my Note 8 for one day with all wacom functionality built in, you would have stopped worshiping a name brand and bought the Note or the upcoming 10.1 Note. I have accurate type written text recognition and can draw creatively so well I have gone paperless! Also all , my handwritten notes are converted to text and auto synced to evernote, very slick.

APlotdevice
Sep 8, 2013, 08:29 PM
If any of you had my Note 8 for one day with all wacom functionality built in, you would have stopped worshiping a name brand and bought the Note or the upcoming 10.1 Note. I have accurate type written text recognition and can draw creatively so well I have gone paperless! Also all , my handwritten notes are converted to text and auto synced to evernote, very slick.

1. Samsung is a name brand too
2. Going from an iPad to a Note or any other non-Apple tablet means switching to an entirely different operating system. Everything purchase and everything exclusive to the Apple app store becomes inaccessible.

ct1211
Sep 10, 2013, 06:02 AM
1. Samsung is a name brand too
2. Going from an iPad to a Note or any other non-Apple tablet means switching to an entirely different operating system. Everything purchase and everything exclusive to the Apple app store becomes inaccessible.

Yea I know samsung is a brand. My point if toms electronics came out with tech I could use, I will buy it. Yes platfrom swaps suck thats why I stick to dropbox and evernote on all devices including my Macbook Pro.

Charlie Rouleau
Oct 1, 2013, 01:22 PM
I love the LYNKtec TruGlide stylus for everyday use! It's very smooth for navigating and note taking. It works extremely well with the Penultimate app on my iPad.

This stylus is the one I have:
http://www.lynktec.com/TruGlide-Stylus-w-Pocket-Clip-p/lttg-0001.htm

sunrisemusic
Nov 6, 2013, 11:35 AM
I got an Intuos last week. My first stylus, so nothing to compare it to yet, and I have only used it off and on here and there, on apps I've never used before! - but already feeling a bit of a longing for a pressure-sensitive brush as I'm a painter and wanted the stylus for painting...

Since I now have a stylus I also bought a couple of the note taking apps too, (along with ArtRage, which I already use on my mac, and a coupla other painting/sketch apps which I'm still finding my way around), yeh, the pen is thick and the nib is strange for someone who's never used that kind of nib before... Some apps it seems fine, others - esp since I'm on an iPad mini - the thicker tip might be a bit too much.

Of course you can zoom, and since I really still am a bit of a novice to using all these new apps (and stylus as opposed to Wacom Intuos tablets on my macs) I'm not sure I'm doing everything the best/easiest way. It seems to work fine in Noteability, where you're doing larger input anyway... but I can see how a thinner stylus would be nice for some of the other apps (or a bigger iPad, lol!)...

But I do like the pressure sensitivity, once you try it, it's addictive, so, as I wrote on another thread from what I'm reading the Pogo connect's new brushes might be the trick for me. At least I have yet to find any other pressure sensitive brushes out there for now.
The only thing is that it looks like it's not compatible with the iPad Air, which means future iPads may not be good for it (not sure about the Retina mini), so perhaps I'll hold off and get one of the cheaper non-pressure sensitive brushes to tide me over.

If Wacom would make a brush tip for the Intuos I'd definitely snap it up!