Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
I know I'm making way too big a deal of this, but on my 13" 2013 MBA I've been noticing this small bright white spot. Its only really visible when looking at the display at an angle, but the fact that its there just annoys me. I also believe a second one is forming above it (it's really hard to see this in the picture).

I purchased the machine on June 28th so I'm still covered under the one year Applecare + the additional year provided by Amex, so should I bother going to the Apple store and have them take a look at it? It isn't really a big deal for me, its only annoying because I know it's there.

----------

Here's the image.

eDS5Ugk.jpg

Last edited:

lina231

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2013
I know I'm making way too big a deal of this, but on my 13" 2013 MBA I've been noticing this small bright white spot. Its only really visible when looking at the display at an angle, but the fact that its there just annoys me. I also believe a second one is forming above it (it's really hard to see this in the picture).

I purchased the machine on June 28th so I'm still covered under the one year Applecare + the additional year provided by Amex, so should I bother going to the Apple store and have them take a look at it? It isn't really a big deal for me, its only annoying because I know it's there.

I would take it to the Apple store so they could take a look at it, it couldn't hurt, it bothers you, and it's still under warranty.

Plus, it's better just to get it looked at and have nothing wrong with it than not having it looked at and something go wrong with it down the road when it is not covered under warranty (unless you have AppleCare).

Either way if it bothers you I would get it checked out :)

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
I would take it to the Apple store so they could take a look at it, it couldn't hurt, it bothers you, and it's still under warranty.

Plus, it's better just to get it looked at and have nothing wrong with it than not having it looked at and something go wrong with it down the road when it is not covered under warranty (unless you have AppleCare).

Either way if it bothers you I would get it checked out :)

That's what I'm thinking of doing. Nearest Apple store is across the border but its still only around 40 minutes away. Might as well haha

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
That's what I'm thinking of doing. Nearest Apple store is across the border but its still only around 40 minutes away. Might as well haha

Had the same issue on my retina macbook pro, took it to apple and they replaced the screen in store in about an hour as the part was in stock

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
Had the same issue on my retina macbook pro, took it to apple and they replaced the screen in store in about an hour as the part was in stock

I just scheduled an appointment for when I go to Toronto, do you think I should take my original box or charger to the appointment?

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
no I wouldn't bother, I never took mine. I am sure they will have the part in stock I had mine done at the Burlington Apple store which I am sure has much less traffic

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
no I wouldn't bother, I never took mine. I am sure they will have the part in stock I had mine done at the Burlington Apple store which I am sure has much less traffic

I'm actually going to the Square One store which is always super busy whenever I go but I already have an appointment. Say for some reason they were to replace the Air, would they ask for the box or would they just take a new one out of the box and give it to me?

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
I'm actually going to the Square One store which is always super busy whenever I go but I already have an appointment. Say for some reason they were to replace the Air, would they ask for the box or would they just take a new one out of the box and give it to me?

They wouldn't need the box & charger, they would just give you the new Mac by itself.

With that said, I see no reason for them to replace the entire Mac. If this was the 3rd or 4th repair in the month and a half you've owned it then maybe they would but as of right now I would expect them to check the Mac in and replace the display assembly. A display replacement typically isn't a "come back in an hour" repair so I would expect to have it back within a few days. If you explain the long drive to the store then you may be able to arrange pickup in a few hours if they have the part in stock.

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
They wouldn't need the box & charger, they would just give you the new Mac by itself.

With that said, I see no reason for them to replace the entire Mac. If this was the 3rd or 4th repair in the month and a half you've owned it then maybe they would but as of right now I would expect them to check the Mac in and replace the display assembly. A display replacement typically isn't a "come back in an hour" repair so I would expect to have it back within a few days. If you explain the long drive to the store then you may be able to arrange pickup in a few hours if they have the part in stock.

I have been noticing some issues recently with my GPU having some frame rate drops occasionally that weren't occurring when I first got the laptop, but otherwise the display is really the only issue. I'll be leaving the Mississauga area Tuesday so if they won't be able to fix it by then I'll just bring it back and take it to an Apple store around here (still around 45 minutes away, but across the border).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.