Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
I am selling my jailbroken appleTV 2. If I leave my iTunes password in there, can someone extract it from the device?

I'm thinking of leaving it in to sell it as having access to all my music, TV, and movie purchases until they decide to reset it. They should not be able to purchase anything without my CCV code.

I just want to know if they can extract my credentials.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
That sounds like a bad idea, but that's just me - I would be concerned about the safety of your account - just have a bad feeling about that ...

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
I am selling my jailbroken appleTV 2. If I leave my iTunes password in there, can someone extract it from the device?

I'm thinking of leaving it in to sell it as having access to all my music, TV, and movie purchases until they decide to reset it. They should not be able to purchase anything without my CCV code.

I just want to know if they can extract my credentials.

That's a horrible idea.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
The iTunes purchases are tied to the account, you can only transfer them with the account (including the password).

Well not really. You can preload the account on an appleTV. That appleTV would continue to work on the account until the account is changed. The appletv doesn't know it was sold or moved to a new location.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Well not really. You can preload the account on an appleTV. That appleTV would continue to work on the account until the account is changed. The appletv doesn't know it was sold or moved to a new location.

True but that media isn't yours to give away. Read the iTunes TOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.