Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Hi,

I was wondering if migration assistant in 10.9 got any better. The improvement I am in particular looking for is a more control over what is exactly migrated. For example I want to choose the apps, the folders, and so forth and not just "Apps" or "User".

Any knowledge?

Best
LaForge

djoliverm

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2013
Migration Assistant does not see the files on my backup

So I'm searching on the forums since Migration Assistant does not see the files on my SuperDuper! backup from Mountain Lion. The files are all there, and it backed up properly in ML, and is bootable, however when opening Migration Assistant in Mavericks, it shoes the drive, but with a blank page icon, and only like 148k worth of files (essentially nothing), yet there is clearly around 500+GB in that backup.

Now, I have a feeling I might have messed this up by having my backup encrypted alongside a File Vault 2 ML HDD. Some quick searching online has said that it's a bad idea to have the SuperDuper! backup encrypted when using File Vault 2 on the internal HDD as this can cause some issues. My hope right now is to attempt to downgrade to ML, and then use Migration Assistant there. And if that doesn't work, then i'm SOL and will have to see what I can manually transfer over.

If anybody else has had the same issue, please let me know, or if you have any thoughts about my particular problem. Appreciate the help!

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
You might want to wait until Mavericks is officially released before getting snippy. The developers who were legally allowed to run the previews will be able to respond, and everyone else will be able to buy it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So I'm searching on the forums since Migration Assistant does not see the files on my SuperDuper! backup from Mountain Lion. The files are all there, and it backed up properly in ML, and is bootable, however when opening Migration Assistant in Mavericks, it shoes the drive, but with a blank page icon, and only like 148k worth of files (essentially nothing), yet there is clearly around 500+GB in that backup.

Now, I have a feeling I might have messed this up by having my backup encrypted alongside a File Vault 2 ML HDD. Some quick searching online has said that it's a bad idea to have the SuperDuper! backup encrypted when using File Vault 2 on the internal HDD as this can cause some issues. My hope right now is to attempt to downgrade to ML, and then use Migration Assistant there. And if that doesn't work, then i'm SOL and will have to see what I can manually transfer over.

If anybody else has had the same issue, please let me know, or if you have any thoughts about my particular problem. Appreciate the help!

Your problem is, as you suspect, that you encrypted the backup disk. With the backup disk encrypted, Migration Assistant cannot see the files. You should be able to unencrypt the external using Disk Utility then use Migration Assistant.

djoliverm

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2013
Your problem is, as you suspect, that you encrypted the backup disk. With the backup disk encrypted, Migration Assistant cannot see the files. You should be able to unencrypt the external using Disk Utility then use Migration Assistant.

Cool, I also was thinking of maybe doing this. Anybody tried to unencrypt the disk? Ideally it should be OK right? It's just that if it somehow fails during the unencryption, then I'm really SOL. Hmmmm... [Again, this is even after unlocking the drive and saving it to the keychain so OS X can see it, but Migration Assistant still has trouble].

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Cool, I also was thinking of maybe doing this. Anybody tried to unencrypt the disk? Ideally it should be OK right? It's just that if it somehow fails during the unencryption, then I'm really SOL. Hmmmm... [Again, this is even after unlocking the drive and saving it to the keychain so OS X can see it, but Migration Assistant still has trouble].

Hmmm.... that changes things and is troubling. :(

I thought you were trying to run MA during system setup. But if you are running and logged in and you have unlocked the drive, MA should see it. When you do this can you see the files in Finder?

djoliverm

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2013
Hmmm.... that changes things and is troubling. :(

I thought you were trying to run MA during system setup. But if you are running and logged in and you have unlocked the drive, MA should see it. When you do this can you see the files in Finder?

Yes, so when I first installed the 13A603 build, Migration Assistant hanged for a few minutes during setup and then it occurred to me that maybe I have to unlock the drive first since it was indeed encrypted, and MA can work after you've done the initial setup, so that's what I did. As soon as it logged in, it asked me to unlock the drive and I saved it in the keychain. I can see all the files perfectly fine, but when I go into MA, it does show the SuperDuper! partition, yet is shown as a blank page and in the options only shows like 148k of essentially nothing.

djoliverm

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2013
OK, sooo for some reason it started working, and I THINK I know how I got it to work: I think when you have a Finder window open inside of the encrypted backup drive, then run migration assistant, for some reason it does seem to magically pick it up. I will attempt the migration tonight when I get home and will update this post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.