PDA

View Full Version : Google Brings Waze Features to Google Maps for iOS and Android

MacRumors
Aug 20, 2013, 10:03 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/20/google-brings-waze-features-to-google-maps-for-ios-and-android/)

Google announced in a blog post (http://google-latlong.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/new-features-ahead-google-maps-and-waze.html)*today that it is implementing some of Waze's features in the Google Maps applications for both iOS and Android. Beginning today (the update is rolling out gradually), users of both devices will be able to view real-time incident reports from Waze users, including accidents, construction zones, road closures and more.

The rollout is currently limited to 13 countries, including the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, and Mexico, and will rely on data from Waze's user base, which was reported in June to be nearing 50 million users (http://news.yahoo.com/waze-sale-signals-growth-israeli-high-tech-174533585.html).

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/08/waze_incident1.png
Users of Waze are not being left in the dark either, as Google will be gradually rolling out its powerful Search feature into both the web and mobile versions of the Waze service, which will allow for more accurate search results, including the ability to search for local businesses and specific addresses. The Waze Map Editor (https://www.waze.com/editor/)*also features Google Street View after a public beta testing period, which should allow for more accurate maps and route planning.

Waze began as an Israeli startup back in 2008 and was acquired by Google in June of this year for a reported $1.03 billion. It had been rumored that Apple was considering purchasing (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/02/apple-interested-in-purchasing-social-turn-by-turn-navigation-company-waze/) the company in order to improve its own mapping service, which suffered a number of teething problems since the start, but the deal reportedly fell through (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/03/no-deal-in-sight-for-apple-to-acquire-waze/)*over differences in Waze's perceived valuation. Unlike other Google buyouts, such as that of Sparrow (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/20/alternative-email-client-sparrow-acquired-by-google/), the development of Waze is still active and there are currently no plans to merge the two products.

Article Link: Google Brings Waze Features to Google Maps for iOS and Android (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/20/google-brings-waze-features-to-google-maps-for-ios-and-android/)

dpear
Aug 20, 2013, 10:10 AM
Now for what everyone really wants to know... will the Waze police reports show up in the Maps app too? ;)

spacehog371
Aug 20, 2013, 10:10 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess they aren't going to make the Police alerts visible to Google Maps users.

Edit: Totally wrote my post before seeing yours, dpear.

chardzard
Aug 20, 2013, 10:16 AM
Will this be coming in the form of an app update? Or will these just start appearing in the existing version of the Google Maps app?

jroadley
Aug 20, 2013, 10:16 AM
Just keep Waze ad free.

BruiserB
Aug 20, 2013, 10:18 AM
Just keep Waze ad free.

It's not really ad free now is it? I remember it telling me when I was close to a Taco Bell or Dunkin Donuts.

spinedoc77
Aug 20, 2013, 10:18 AM
Now for what everyone really wants to know... will the Waze police reports show up in the Maps app too? ;)

Yep, this is the main reason Waze gets opened every single time I get in my car, incredibly useful feature. Other good stuff too, like road hazards and the real time traffic flow. I haven't used google maps or apple maps in months and months.

ugahairydawgs
Aug 20, 2013, 10:22 AM
Between the Waze info and the ads Google just added will anyone be able to actually see the map?

otismotive77
Aug 20, 2013, 10:29 AM
apple wants to stay number 1, and that's why they're constantly updating nad improving their maps app

gmanist1000
Aug 20, 2013, 10:29 AM
Will this be coming in the form of an app update? Or will these just start appearing in the existing version of the Google Maps app?

The article says it will be rolling out as an update gradually today.

samh004
Aug 20, 2013, 10:30 AM
Certainly hope there wont be any ads in Waze, but was also hoping some of the Google data about traffic congestion they currently gather would also makes its way to Waze, not solely Waze to Google as it appears.

I realise they bought Waze to improve Google Maps, but honestly feel Waze is a better option for me. Quite active in improving roads too.

pickaxe
Aug 20, 2013, 10:30 AM
Okay, now merge the maps with Google's maps - Waze is a lot more precise for my country.

4TheLoveOfTech
Aug 20, 2013, 10:40 AM
apple wants to stay number 1, and that's why they're constantly updating nad improving their maps app

Exactly what does Apple want to stay "number 1" at?

They aren't #1 in the mobile arena
They aren't #1 in the desktop OS arena
They aren't #1 in total apps in App Store

They are #1 in a dying market of iPods and currently Profit in App Market profit.

They are barely hanging on if they even are to a single vendor being number 1 with Samsung far exceeding Apple in sales in the last 3 quarters.

What do you want Apple to stay #1 in?

Wake up and read an article outside of an Apple Forum. The market is not what it was when the iPhone had no real competition and never will be again.

A Hebrew
Aug 20, 2013, 10:41 AM

Sarcasm?????

Apple was never number one.

ratsg
Aug 20, 2013, 10:41 AM
How is it you aren't getting ads in waze?

Are you still on an older version or something?

Certainly hope there wont be any ads in Waze, but was also hoping some of the Google data about traffic congestion they currently gather would also makes its way to Waze, not solely Waze to Google as it appears.

Karma*Police
Aug 20, 2013, 11:20 AM
That is one busy looking UI. I wish Google would just get rid of the green... it's unnecessary and clutters the interface.

oddnendz
Aug 20, 2013, 11:29 AM

I actually I want to know is when Google will shut down Waze. Because I fear it is coming...

JayJayAbels
Aug 20, 2013, 11:40 AM

They are #1 in a dying market of iPods and currently Profit in App Market profit.

They are barely hanging on if they even are to a single vendor being number 1 with Samsung far exceeding Apple in sales in the last 3 quarters.

Wake up and read an article outside of an Apple Forum. The market is not what it was when the iPhone had no real competition and never will be again.

Bahahahahaha! Apple's still the best tech company out. Still #1.

Salty much? :)

4TheLoveOfTech
Aug 20, 2013, 11:55 AM
Bahahahahaha! Apple's still the best tech company out. Still #1.

Salty much? :)

Apple makes the most profit (barely now with Samsung) than any other single vendor in the mobile arena.

Microsoft makes the most profit of any Desktop OS. Does that make Microsoft #1 using your logic?

What is "Bahahahahaha"? Is that the new Apple Fan signature?

SMH

avanpelt
Aug 20, 2013, 12:46 PM
I've got the update in Atlanta. I don't know why they didn't include the timestamp on the Waze events. That makes the feature borderline useless.

jonnysods
Aug 20, 2013, 12:54 PM
I'm pumped score l about this because I don't like Waze that much...

Cartoonkid
Aug 20, 2013, 01:04 PM
I actually I want to know is when Google will shut down Waze. Because I fear it is coming...

Same here. Waze is awesome everywhere I've needed it, but the in-map ads are annoying the hell out of me. If I want to know where Taco Bell is, I'll search for it (or just drive another 20 feet and find the next one).

If Google bastardizes it much more, I'll drop Waze like a hot rock and start using any number of alternative GPS/map apps, including Apple's native map.

ratsg
Aug 20, 2013, 01:14 PM
I don't know if they will kill it off, rename it, or something worse. The advertisements are already pretty bad.

I think that the real question, is what alternatives are their to Waze? In addition to the GPS, I like/use the traffic report and the police report. I never understood the social media tie-ins. I can't imagine a worse time to be in social media then when I am driving down the road.

Bill Killer
Aug 20, 2013, 01:19 PM

Google is so far ahead in the Maps department that it barely qualifies as a real competition.

ericg301
Aug 20, 2013, 02:23 PM
Same here. Waze is awesome everywhere I've needed it, but the in-map ads are annoying the hell out of me. If I want to know where Taco Bell is, I'll search for it (or just drive another 20 feet and find the next one).

If Google bastardizes it much more, I'll drop Waze like a hot rock and start using any number of alternative GPS/map apps, including Apple's native map.

The ads only pop up when you're stopped.

I greatly enjoy Waze and get a lot out of it. A Taco Bell or Home Depot ad when I'm at a stoplight is well worth the price I paid for the app....which is nothing.

Jimmy James
Aug 20, 2013, 03:02 PM
Google has stopped innovating. Eric Schmidt should be personally reporting on all traffic issues.

TimeSquareDesi
Aug 20, 2013, 03:14 PM
I am sure the scores of loyal waze users are happy and love the product but for me, the UI is too "Fisher Price - My first Navigation App" for me. And those smiley face logos are pointless/useless/absolutely unnecessary.

I am a loyal google maps user and will remain that way until something better comes out.

ericg301
Aug 20, 2013, 03:44 PM
I am sure the scores of loyal waze users are happy and love the product but for me, the UI is too "Fisher Price - My first Navigation App" for me. And those smiley face logos are pointless/useless/absolutely unnecessary.

I am a loyal google maps user and will remain that way until something better comes out.

You know you can turn off 95% of those right?

Cartoonkid
Aug 20, 2013, 03:48 PM
The ads only pop up when you're stopped.

I greatly enjoy Waze and get a lot out of it. A Taco Bell or Home Depot ad when I'm at a stoplight is well worth the price I paid for the app....which is nothing.

Yes, but considering the only time I look at the app is when I'm stopped, I see ads quite often, and it's annoying...even if it is free.

saback
Aug 20, 2013, 04:05 PM
I would like to see as a new feature, a video recording, there is no good car video recording with a good gps navigator!!!!

TimeSquareDesi
Aug 20, 2013, 04:08 PM
You know you can turn off 95% of those right?

No, I did not but now I do :D

chardzard
Aug 20, 2013, 04:09 PM
The article says it will be rolling out as an update gradually today.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but can they do that with the iOS app store?

JackieInCo
Aug 20, 2013, 04:10 PM
Google is so far ahead in the Maps department that it barely qualifies as a real competition.

I don't like either choice so I use TomTom.

gmanist1000
Aug 20, 2013, 04:52 PM
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but can they do that with the iOS app store?

I think it rolls out to countries individually, but once it lands in a country it rolls out to everyone in that country immediately.

thefrustum
Aug 20, 2013, 06:49 PM
Google Maps is the best Maps solution for iOS, but it is missing a key feature, at least for me (traffic in the bay area is crazy!), i.e., re-routing based on traffic and Waze does this so well. Waze almost re-routes me through parking lots of downtown hi-rises to save tons of time everyday! But Waze has issues with its search and Points of Interest and now, like predicted, Google is integrating the good stuff from both of these mapping solutions!

http://thefrustum.com/blog/2013/8/9/the-ios-maps-problem

bozzykid
Aug 20, 2013, 09:01 PM
I think it rolls out to countries individually, but once it lands in a country it rolls out to everyone in that country immediately.

This is a server side update, not a app update. It will rollout without any user interaction.

pickaxe
Aug 21, 2013, 12:40 AM

Oh, I completely agree. In my region, Waze is the most complete and dependable navigation software, and I HATE using that amateur UI.

otismotive77
Aug 21, 2013, 10:23 AM

Sarcasm?????

Apple was never number one.

everybody, chill! it was just a mistake, i wanted to write google
apple maps isn't the number 1 maps apps and they never were

heutusops
Aug 21, 2013, 12:11 PM
sensible thing to do. i wonder when will the bring all of the WAZE's features to google maps

samh004
Aug 22, 2013, 06:55 AM
How is it you aren't getting ads in waze?

Are you still on an older version or something?

Perhaps they're not showing ads to those based outside the US?

I'm on the latest version, 3.7.2 when I check the app.

adam044
Oct 4, 2013, 09:38 AM
I don't see any waze reports while using google maps on my iPhone. What gives?

If I go to the waze app there are many reports on the map in the area but they don't show on google maps app

appleii.c
Oct 4, 2013, 09:44 AM
The only thing I really used Waze for was for the Police trap locations. This helps a lot. I rarely use it now since I noticed the ads appearing more often. A bit annoying. Hopefully these show up in Google Maps, or even Apple bring something similar soon.