Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loomish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2005
Ohio
Hey guys,

I have a 2001 G3 iMac, and recently I've noticed that when I wake the computer out of sleep mode or screen saver, the screen starts to shake. Is my iMac on the verge of death?

Also, I was thinking about buying an iBook, and I thought since I am a poor college student, Apple would give me a discount. I went to my school's store, and they're the same price as apple.com. What's goin on?

Loomish

Loomish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2005
Ohio
Will Cheyney said:
As you're a student you qualify for Apple student discount.
Be sure to check out the 'Education' sub-section of apple.com.

It still says iBooks are $949- which is the same as retail. I'm confused.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Loomish said:
Hey guys,

I have a 2001 G3 iMac, and recently I've noticed that when I wake the computer out of sleep mode or screen saver, the screen starts to shake. Is my iMac on the verge of death?

Also, I was thinking about buying an iBook, and I thought since I am a poor college student, Apple would give me a discount. I went to my school's store, and they're the same price as apple.com. What's goin on?

Loomish
Just how much of a shake is it? A little or a huge amount of shaking? Is it continuous or does it stop after a few shakes?

My iMac in sig does shake when I start it up. Also, there is a little shaking associated when the washer/dryer is running (because the Mac is just on the other side of the wall).

iBook prices:
12" 1.33/512/32vram/40/combo/APE/BT2.0+EDR
$949USD-Student price (regular price is $999USD)

Refurbished iBook G4 1.2GHz/ 256MB/ 30GB/ Combo/ AP Extreme Card/ E/ 56K/ 12-inch TFT Price: $719

Refurbished iBook G4 1.33GHz/ 256MB/ 60GB/ Combo/ AP Extreme Card/ E/ 56K/ 14-inch TFT Price: $899.00

Loomish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2005
Ohio
It's like a slight vibration. No fans or machines nearby.

Refurbished computers are used, right? Are they a good way to go? Thanks for all your info, joepunk.

Loomish

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Loomish said:
Hey guys,
A continuous wobbling of the screen, or a contraction and expansion of the size of the screen could be a dying analog board. Quite common in iMac G3s. Don't know what the repair cost is, couple of hundred? Your choice if it is worth it or not. Back up your data - not because it will necessarily be lost when the analog board goes, but because it's a &!^@# to get the data off of a machine that won't start up.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
The screen shaking may be from the hard drive vibrating as it must be getting on a bit, well your iMac G3 is probably on its last legs anyway and you should start looking for a new mac, the extra power will definatly be worth it,

SHadow

Loomish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2005
Ohio
This might be a stupid question, but isnt the only way to back up an iMac is by burning a CD? I don't have an external zip drive.

iowacity

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2005
I have a similar problem with a G5 iMac. During use, the screen seems to shift, blurring the information of the screen, and freeze for a second or two, then continue normally. This happens a few times an hour. The computer was purchased for a print shop at our school this past spring. We bought three of them and this one is the only one we're having trouble with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.