PDA

View Full Version : Youtube ios7 update

ajiuo
Aug 20, 2013, 12:49 PM
Looks like yoitube has made the first step towards ios7

New icon and new white ui.

The Red shadow under the icon is kind of ugly.. But a good start :)

Angry Tube is still much better.

ajiuo
Aug 20, 2013, 12:51 PM
White

ajiuo
Aug 20, 2013, 12:52 PM
Side bar

HarryPot
Aug 20, 2013, 12:54 PM
Me likes it!

But I prefer how Apple makes the top bar (carrier, battery, etc.) is the same color as the app navigation bar.

Tyler23
Aug 20, 2013, 12:57 PM
Me likes it!

But I prefer how Apple makes the top bar (carrier, battery, etc.) is the same color as the app navigation bar.

Apps cannot release updates using the new iOS 7 API's until iOS 7 is officially released.

I'm betting most apps will take advantage of this once they can.

Smith288
Aug 20, 2013, 12:58 PM
Guarantee you run their build through ios 7 sdk it will look like garbage.

HarryPot
Aug 20, 2013, 01:03 PM
Apps cannot release updates using the new iOS 7 API's until iOS 7 is officially released.

I'm betting most apps will take advantage of this once they can.

Makes sense.

Still, good to know developers are starting to update their apps. From what I've seen in some design sites (Dribble, deviantArt), many designers are liking the "flat" concept of iOS7.

Now I'm just missing Whatsapp, Things and Twitter to change their apps. They look ugly alongside all the Apple icons, which I've actually come to like a lot.

ajiuo
Aug 20, 2013, 01:03 PM
Its not totally updated.. I think they are just laying the groundwork..

The keyboard and status bar obviously can not be updated yet.

This isnt stopping google from updating the non standard elements and icon though

Also has a cool new feature with shrinking video window while browsing

WJKramer
Aug 20, 2013, 01:04 PM
Google has done this "3D ing" of all their app icons. I hate it. I remove any app from my home screen that does this. Hopefully the flattening of the iOS will change things. I have heard developers think it makes their app stand out but this has the opposite effect for me.

nikicampos
Aug 20, 2013, 01:05 PM
All the apps can change the icon, but I think they want to wait until iOS 7 is released so the icon change reflects the app change.

Armen
Aug 20, 2013, 01:08 PM
Looks like yoitube has made the first step towards ios7

New icon and new white ui.

The Red shadow under the icon is kind of ugly.. But a good start :)

Angry Tube is still much better.

You missed the most important part of the update. You can now watch a video while searching for another!

Blaine
Aug 20, 2013, 01:12 PM
Still no background audio :'(

ajiuo
Aug 20, 2013, 01:17 PM
You missed the most important part of the update. You can now watch a video while searching for another!

I posted that in my last comment :)

----------

Angry tube looks a lot nicer.. Backgrounding, add blocking, and video downloading as well.. Plus it has a flat icon :)

Armen
Aug 20, 2013, 01:25 PM

----------

Angry tube looks a lot nicer.. Backgrounding, add blocking, and video downloading as well.. Plus it has a flat icon :)

Oh fine! :)

jeremiah239
Aug 20, 2013, 01:26 PM

This makes me sad, I miss it so much.

Vinamra
Aug 20, 2013, 01:36 PM
I'm loving what Google is doing to their apps. To be honest, I even love their UI for the Google+ app!

EDIT:

That was the best feature of the native YouTube app!

WhackyNinja
Aug 20, 2013, 01:48 PM
Google is going in a very good direction with their UI. Much better than what we saw back in 2010 and even 2011.

apollo1444
Aug 20, 2013, 01:49 PM
Google has no clue how to make good apps, if you go to the video history the app kind of hangs and if you scroll down the app hangs

WhackyNinja
Aug 20, 2013, 01:55 PM
Also I have no problem with Google's "3D" icons...but they look weird in iOS 7 compared to iOS 6

rovex
Aug 20, 2013, 01:59 PM
Still can't choose resolution playback??

Or volume toggle??

famoussasjohn
Aug 20, 2013, 02:06 PM

Pro Tuber > YouTube app.

;)

haydn!
Aug 20, 2013, 02:07 PM
I like it. But what I don't get is they've ditched their iconic logo for the icon. That doesn't make sense.

applelover1016
Aug 20, 2013, 02:07 PM
Definitly loving the update, still wish I could control playback quailty over cellular network

bad03xtreme
Aug 20, 2013, 02:12 PM
Redtube, wait what? :D

Rooster411
Aug 20, 2013, 02:12 PM
Still no sharing in iOS 7

Paddle1
Aug 20, 2013, 02:37 PM
I like it. But what I don't get is they've ditched their iconic logo for the icon. That doesn't make sense.

iOS 5 had a TV. http://cs3-3.4pda.to/533419.jpeg

lancastor
Aug 20, 2013, 02:38 PM
GREAT !!!!

I love to see Apps gets ready für iOS7 and it's new design Philosophie.

coldjeanzzz
Aug 20, 2013, 02:43 PM
the new UI has nothing to do with catering to iOS7, this is just the way google wants its apps and soon to be OS to look now

BFG86
Aug 20, 2013, 02:43 PM

Ridiculous. Still no HQ toggle either?

C DM
Aug 20, 2013, 03:03 PM
the new UI has nothing to do with catering to iOS7, this is just the way google wants its apps and soon to be OS to look nowYeah, most of Google's apps have been going through similar updates before and unrelated to iOS 7.

People just like to find connections even when there are none.

----------

Still no sharing in iOS 7What do you mean no sharing?

----------

Ridiculous. Still no HQ toggle either?Doesn't it essentially display a video in its best available quality?

BFG86
Aug 20, 2013, 03:20 PM
Doesn't it essentially display a video in its best available quality?

and that's the problem. some of us don't have the bandwidth to play videos at their best. and even if you wanted to let one buffer, you can't unless you keep the app open because there is no back-grounding. When you use the youtube mobile site you can tap the red hq button to turn hq off

C DM
Aug 20, 2013, 03:21 PM
and that's the problem. some of us don't have the bandwidth to play videos at their best. and even if you wanted to let one buffer, you can't unless you keep the app open because there is no back-grounding. When you use the youtube mobile site you can tap the red hq button to turn hq offSo this is basically when not on Wi-Fi then?

haydn!
Aug 20, 2013, 03:24 PM
iOS 5 had a TV. Image (http://cs3-3.4pda.to/533419.jpeg)

That's when it was integrated into the OS and no doubt the agreement meant YouTubes branding was kept to a minimum, so give the impression it was seamlessly integrated.

Now it's YouTubes own app to do with what they please, that's why it's surprising they've not used their own logo.

Rogifan
Aug 20, 2013, 03:26 PM

iOS 5 and prior designed by Jobs and Forstall. :)

Fzang
Aug 20, 2013, 03:27 PM
I hope iOS 7 will once and for all tell all developers: "we don't want your weird perspectives or shadows. Stop it goddamit".

KeanosMagicHat
Aug 20, 2013, 03:44 PM
When viewing videos posted by your subscribed channels, they seem to have removed the time stamp details on when they were uploaded.

I used this info all the time to quickly determine, at a glance, which I'd probably viewed already.

Hope they add it back.

shandyman
Aug 20, 2013, 04:58 PM
Still no sharing in iOS 7

Yes there is.

apollo1444
Aug 20, 2013, 05:29 PM
Yes there is.

sharing was broken with iOS 7 all betas (meaning the app crashed when opening the share sheet) on the previous youtube app, maybe he is stating sharing is broken still?

C DM
Aug 20, 2013, 05:40 PM
sharing was broken with iOS 7 all betas (meaning the app crashed when opening the share sheet) on the previous youtube app, maybe he is stating sharing is broken still?Sharing sheet would come up just fine in previous and current beta with the previous version of the YouTube app (although perhaps there were issues of actually sharing from that point where you select where to share and nothing happens). The post seemed to imply that sharing is broken in this new version of the YouTube app, but app everything from the sharing sheet to actually sharing seems to be fine--I was able to share things to Facebook earlier today.

shandyman
Aug 20, 2013, 05:50 PM
sharing was broken with iOS 7 all betas (meaning the app crashed when opening the share sheet) on the previous youtube app, maybe he is stating sharing is broken still?

I know what the problem was and I am saying it's not broken anymore. It's working fine.

Patriot24
Aug 20, 2013, 10:19 PM

Seeing this icon now...wow. We've come a long way.

Thierry ba
Aug 21, 2013, 07:37 AM
It's not iOS7 related update, they updated the app on Android aswell with same design.

Rooster411
Aug 21, 2013, 07:41 AM
I have not been able to share videos through the YouTube app since being on iOS 7.
It worked fine on 6.
Not a huge deal, I do not use the app now. Just copy and paste from safari to a new message.
I am surprised others can share to messages from within the YouTube app. I thought it affected every iOS 7 user.

jeremiah239
Aug 21, 2013, 07:44 AM
I have not been able to share videos through the YouTube app since being on iOS 7.
It worked fine on 6.
Not a huge deal, I do not use the app now. Just copy and paste from safari to a new message.
I am surprised others can share to messages from within the YouTube app. I thought it affected every iOS 7 user.i never had a problem, try reinstalling the app.

Todd B.
Aug 21, 2013, 07:46 AM
It's a Youtube update so, most likely, it will be terrible and less of an improvement then the previous version.

Seems to be the standard with Youtube these days...

Rooster411
Aug 21, 2013, 08:05 AM
i never had a problem, try reinstalling the app.

Tried numerous times. Hit the share button, pick my option( messages, Facebook, etc... ) then nothing happens. Same with each beta.

Donka
Aug 21, 2013, 08:23 AM

----------

Video downloading is not allowed from YouTube in apps - previous apps were asked to remove such a feature. I'm assuming this app doesn't have this feature?

profets
Aug 21, 2013, 08:25 AM
Google has done this "3D ing" of all their app icons. I hate it. I remove any app from my home screen that does this. Hopefully the flattening of the iOS will change things. I have heard developers think it makes their app stand out but this has the opposite effect for me.

I really can't stand their 3Dish icons either. I'm not saying they should be flat, but that 3D effect at the bottom of the icon makes them look like they're a different size when they're next to other icons. Google, Gmail, Maps all have this. Terrible.

famoussasjohn
Aug 21, 2013, 08:25 AM
[/COLOR]Doesn't it essentially display a video in its best available quality?

I believe it reverts to 360P regardless on if you're on LTE or 3G. Wifi is when it will do HD. Protuber app gives you the option of changing the resolution and downloading the video.

Thierry ba
Aug 21, 2013, 08:31 AM
Video downloading is not allowed from YouTube in apps - previous apps were asked to remove such a feature. I'm assuming this app doesn't have this feature?

Check app called ProTuber. :cool:

Donka
Aug 21, 2013, 08:33 AM

I have the older version of McTube which allows it. they brought out a new version instead of updating the old app when they were requested to remove downloads but I'll check out ProTuber just now. :)

jeremiah239
Aug 21, 2013, 08:39 AM
Tried numerous times. Hit the share button, pick my option( messages, Facebook, etc... ) then nothing happens. Same with each beta.
That's strange, did you ever do a fresh install of iOS 7 or are did you just update to iOS 7 from 6? I would also try resetting all setting in the system settings and see of that helps, if not do a fresh install it should fix it.

C DM
Aug 21, 2013, 09:24 AM
Tried numerous times. Hit the share button, pick my option( messages, Facebook, etc... ) then nothing happens. Same with each beta.Started working in this version (at least for me).

Donka
Aug 21, 2013, 09:51 AM

Thanks. ProTuber is nice. Any idea what the full unlock gives you?

shandyman
Aug 21, 2013, 09:53 AM
Started working in this version (at least for me).

Same here. Problems sharing in all betas until this release

Rooster411
Aug 21, 2013, 10:48 AM
Yep, reset, reinstalled, still no sharing.
Hmmmm....
Oh well.
Final iOS 7 should remedy.

famoussasjohn
Aug 21, 2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks. ProTuber is nice. Any idea what the full unlock gives you?

You are limited to a certain amount of downloads of videos, so I'm guessing unlimited downloads of videos.

Donka
Aug 21, 2013, 10:52 AM
You are limited to a certain amount of downloads of videos, so I'm guessing unlimited downloads of videos.

Thanks. Figured it was something like that but couldn't find any info on it.

famoussasjohn
Aug 21, 2013, 10:53 AM
Thanks. Figured it was something like that but couldn't find any info on it.

No problem. I've contacted the Dev a few weeks ago, they responded quickly saying that updates were coming soon about links opening up in the ProTuber app as currently they will just open up in Safari instead of the app, but overall it's way better than the standard YouTube app.

Donka
Aug 21, 2013, 10:58 AM
No problem. I've contacted the Dev a few weeks ago, they responded quickly saying that updates were coming soon about links opening up in the ProTuber app as currently they will just open up in Safari instead of the app, but overall it's way better than the standard YouTube app.

As long as they can keep the download feature. Such a great facility for downloading training guides etc. and viewing them when away from a decent connection.

famoussasjohn
Aug 21, 2013, 11:02 AM
As long as they can keep the download feature. Such a great facility for downloading training guides etc. and viewing them when away from a decent connection.

I'd keep an eye out for patch notes, as Google won't allow downloads and may request them to kill the feature or stop the app from accessing YouTube like they did to Microsoft. So far it's worked great for me. Plus you can save the videos to your library and connect it to your computer and extract that to your computer and watch it there.

Donka
Aug 21, 2013, 11:05 AM
I'd keep an eye out for patch notes, as Google won't allow downloads and may request them to kill the feature or stop the app from accessing YouTube like they did to Microsoft. So far it's worked great for me. Plus you can save the videos to your library and connect it to your computer and extract that to your computer and watch it there.

Yes, I'll be surprised if the download feature remains. Just noticed it was only released this month which is why it still has this feature. The UI could use some options as the default view has large thumbnails for things in downloads, subscriptions etc. Does seem a fine application though.

----------

----------

Does this app still have downloads? I can't see them in there.

adnbek
Aug 21, 2013, 11:08 AM
Doesn't it essentially display a video in its best available quality?

Nope. I'm on LTE and it only plays at low quality. Why Google won't let us select quality I'll never understand.

Anonymous Freak
Aug 21, 2013, 11:12 AM
iOS 5 and prior designed by Jobs and Forstall. :)

Yup - In iOS 5, YouTube was an Apple-shipped app that only updated when the OS updated. When iOS 6 was announced, Apple removed the Apple-shipped YouTube app, so Google developed their own, which they can update whenever they feel like. The app works just fine on iOS 5 though. (I have it on my original iPad, which can't run iOS 6.)

Of note: Many of Google's apps have been using this general interface style for a while now - if anything, Apple is moving to be like Google, not the other way around. Or, more likely, they're both moving to a similar target independently.

cmichaelb
Aug 21, 2013, 11:13 AM

I'm just the opposite, I find the flat look old and dull.