PDA

View Full Version : YouTube App Updated With Continuous Playback and Search-While-Watching Features

MacRumors
Aug 20, 2013, 12:54 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/20/youtube-app-updated-with-continuous-playback-and-search-while-watching-features/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/08/youtube.pngYouTube has updated its iOS app (http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2013/08/play-on-player-with-updated-youtube.html) with new support for continuous, touch-free playback of playlists as well as a new picture-in-picture mode that allows viewers to keep watching a video while still browsing through search results or the rest of the app.
More YouTube in your YouTube apps

With the swipe of a finger, you can watch a video at the bottom of your screen while you keep exploring. Think about it this way--you can watch a video about making the perfect fried chicken while searching for homemade salted caramel sauce recipes. You can always go back to full screen with a swipe up so you never lose your place, or swipe right or left to dismiss the video. Just try to not drop your phone in the sauce.

Play ALL the videos!!!

Want to sit back and watch all of Epic Rap Battles Season 2? You can now search and browse channels for playlists on mobile apps, and watch great collections of back-to-back videos. Finally, you and your friends can decide if Season 2 is better than Season 1.ir1xdtIb-g0
The YouTube app also has a new logo. It's a free download (http://appshopper.com/photography/youtube) for the iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id544007664?mt=8)]

Article Link: YouTube App Updated With Continuous Playback and Search-While-Watching Features (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/20/youtube-app-updated-with-continuous-playback-and-search-while-watching-features/)

Risco
Aug 20, 2013, 12:59 PM
No HD on 3G.......

xlost6
Aug 20, 2013, 01:00 PM
I wonder if the stutter is fix and if we can regulate HD or non-HD on video quality when we are over cellular networks? That is the reason I stay with m.youtube.com because of that HQ feature.

HowEver
Aug 20, 2013, 01:02 PM
Downloaded the update, and it locked my iPhone 5 running the latest iOS 7 beta, with a black screen, but with the top bar (time, etc.) updating. DFUd to get out of it. Yay!

DJAKO
Aug 20, 2013, 01:05 PM
Downloaded the update, and it locked my iPhone 5 running the latest iOS 7 beta, with a black screen, but with the top bar (time, etc.) updating. DFUd to get out of it. Yay!

Did not have that issue here.

lunaoso
Aug 20, 2013, 01:05 PM
Love the new features! The gestures are really fluid. So glad Apple dropped YouTube in iOS 6! Now if only we can force HD so videos don't randomly drop quality even though the connection is fine...

DJTaurus
Aug 20, 2013, 01:06 PM
You still cant continue playing a video when you are not into the app or download a video and watch it offline... no thanks... i will stick with superior proTuber!

John.B
Aug 20, 2013, 01:07 PM
But still no background audio? No ability to configure video quality based on connection speed or device video resolution? Fail.

Cougarcat
Aug 20, 2013, 01:11 PM
No background audio sucks, but at least in iOS 7 youtube videos played in Safari can be played in the background now.

andy845
Aug 20, 2013, 01:12 PM
This is really nicely done. Very smooth, fluid and above all useful.

Blaine
Aug 20, 2013, 01:13 PM
Still no background audio :'(

inselstudent
Aug 20, 2013, 01:14 PM
The search-while-playing is pretty laughable on the tiny iPhone screen. As though Google wanted mock me with my tiny iPhone :D

dodder92
Aug 20, 2013, 01:15 PM
Just updated the app and it didn't remember my login from the previous version, so I tried to login to my account and I get an authentication error message each time I try to login. I've killed the app and reopened and restarted my iPhone but to no avail, any help would be greatly appreciated.

DJTaurus
Aug 20, 2013, 01:16 PM
No background audio sucks, but at least in iOS 7 youtube videos played in Safari can be played in the background now.

How?.. when i play a video it auto goes on full screen. No background audio on safari.

Eminemdrdre00
Aug 20, 2013, 01:21 PM
Why is everyone asking for background audio? Isn't that what Pandora, Spotify, or MP3 versions of your favorite podcasts are for?

L-U-R-C-H
Aug 20, 2013, 01:23 PM
Still no background audio, you can't check your inbox messages on YouTube, and you can't reply to comments...

Cougarcat
Aug 20, 2013, 01:25 PM
How?.. when i play a video it auto goes on full screen. No background audio on safari.

You're right, you can't listen and browse in Safari. But you can exit out when it's playing. It'll automatically pause, and you can go to the control center to resume the audio.

nStyle
Aug 20, 2013, 01:26 PM
Cool I guess but why the under the wraps logo change? They should at least change their web logo as well.

tremlock
Aug 20, 2013, 01:30 PM
No updated icon on my end. iOS 7 beta 6

Sirious
Aug 20, 2013, 01:32 PM
I love how it fits in with the look of iOS 7 :)
A bit cramped for older iPhones though.

Great improvements none the less.

Small White Car
Aug 20, 2013, 01:32 PM
Why is everyone asking for background audio? Isn't that what Pandora, Spotify, or MP3 versions of your latest podcasts are for?

Yes, but never underestimate people's abilities to jury-rig free systems out of something and then get annoyed when the company doesn't cater to their fringe money-avoidance plans. (Since, you know, there's no money in it.)

Brenster
Aug 20, 2013, 01:40 PM
Liking the minimised video whilst browsing on the iPad. Kind of redundant on my iP5 though. And I think the new YouTube icon is my first ios7 era flat icon :)

Otherwise the same YouTube app I've loved since Apple dropped the first party one. I'm happy at least.

kenboy127
Aug 20, 2013, 01:44 PM
I think the biggest flaw in the Youtube app is its terrible handling of quality playback. For example, for some reason it defaults to HD even though I'm on a slow connection, thereby pausing the video every 3 seconds. 3rd party youtube apps let you select the quality and avoid the horrible pause and load effect.

Defender2010
Aug 20, 2013, 01:48 PM
I love how it fits in with the look of iOS 7 :)
A bit cramped for older iPhones though.

Great improvements none the less.

True, but the shading on the app icon looks bad on iOS 7. It should just be all one shade of red.

chabig
Aug 20, 2013, 01:50 PM
Sounds nice. What's that? Oh, it's from Google...no thanks!

Virtual Steve
Aug 20, 2013, 02:03 PM
No updated icon on my end. iOS 7 beta 6

Weird, works for me on iOS 7 Beta 6. Silly question, but are you sure your YouTube app has been updated yet??

dodder92
Aug 20, 2013, 02:04 PM
Just updated the app and it didn't remember my login from the previous version, so I tried to login to my account and I get an authentication error message each time I try to login. I've killed the app and reopened and restarted my iPhone but to no avail, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any help with this guys???

doug in albq
Aug 20, 2013, 02:15 PM
Nice Icon (not logo) re-design...flat done right.

Uncle David
Aug 20, 2013, 02:15 PM
Truth be told I would rather use YouTube because I'm more comfortable signing in with my Gmail account, but until YouTube includes background audio and a decent video controller I'll stay with McTube.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=429247&stc=1&d=1377026037

Rushli0n
Aug 20, 2013, 02:16 PM
I can't get a single video to work. Keep getting "Playback error". I've even deleted and reinstalled the app. I'm running 6.1.3 on my iPod touch.

Prodo123
Aug 20, 2013, 02:19 PM
And they STILL can't do background playback?

befrank4444
Aug 20, 2013, 02:30 PM
Why is everyone asking for background audio? Isn't that what Pandora, Spotify, or MP3 versions of your latest podcasts are for?

!!!!!!!

Suck a RIDICULOUS request to be crying over...YouTube is about VIDEO...why would they make the video play in the background...they want you to WATCH...
I get it, but it's not logical.

Lylyluvda916
Aug 20, 2013, 02:39 PM
ProTuber is the best youtube app. It's sad when a developer app is better than the original app.

Prodo123
Aug 20, 2013, 02:41 PM
!!!!!!!

Suck a RIDICULOUS request to be crying over...YouTube is about VIDEO...why would they make the video play in the background...they want you to WATCH...
I get it, but it's not logical.

Maybe you want to listen to an audio podcast on YouTube while jogging, or a specific song, audiobook or video. The moment you lock your phone the video stops. When you move to another app the video stops.

For example, you would not be "watching" this podcast. The main focus of it would be what they are talking about, not what they are doing in the video. Then why keep the screen on, waste battery and have to deal with accidental presses that may stop the video?

lR_6Zg1iCgs

It's very logical for many of us. YouTube is more than video, it's multimedia.

tremlock
Aug 20, 2013, 02:42 PM
Weird, works for me on iOS 7 Beta 6. Silly question, but are you sure your YouTube app has been updated yet??

Deleted and redownloaded twice and now it's good to go

BulkSlash
Aug 20, 2013, 03:32 PM
It's a pretty good update. The UI seems to be tailored for iOS 7 which is good. I'm not sure about the new icon though, it's a bit plain.

It's great to finally have playlists actually working like playlists. Now if only they could add background playback and bring back the stock iOS video controls (so that there is an on-screen volume control) and it will be pretty much perfect.

It's depressing how long it takes between updates...

jonnysods
Aug 20, 2013, 03:51 PM
I hate the YouTube app. Even on android it sucks.

ArtOfWarfare
Aug 20, 2013, 04:35 PM
I appreciate the meme use, and I wish that I had a way of expressing this as a meme.

APlotdevice
Aug 20, 2013, 05:07 PM
Did they really have to make the newer versions require iOS 6? I know iOS 5 still has the built-in YouTube app, but there are countless videos that will only play in the Google one.

seecoolguy
Aug 20, 2013, 05:11 PM
wow... it is very fluid. I will get used to the icon, tho I liked the last icon more. the pip is cool I can see why Galaxy users like this, it lets you search for other content while you are viewing (or listening) to another.

I do think that background playback should at least be enabled at minimum for playlists. because who really watches video in a playlist one after another?

I have a lot of subscriptions, maybe google could introduce a "youtube-station" service where I can create playlists based on *new* content available to watch on subscriptions I create (ala podcast app by apple).

this would be neat because I can easily "tune in" to a group of new videos of subscriptions that I like and by playlist order. so I could create my own comedy channel, own news channel, new tech gadget channel etc...

alchemistmuffin
Aug 20, 2013, 05:24 PM
For those wondering about Background audio, it's because of how Google uses Adobe's Flash to iOS method, which restricts video playback in background.

Also, in iOS 6 update earlier in the year, Apple removed the background video playback via Audio, even in Safari, because for long time, that was considered a bug that was not fixed. So, regardless, if you want background video audio playback, it's been "fixed"

For those listening to audio podcast on YouTube, check iTunes to see if they have a downloadable version in either mp3 or mp4 format. If not, ask if they have any plans to make it downloadable in audio format. (If they don't, either they're lazy, or are technologically limited and don't know how to really set up a podcast via RSS for free)

xdhd350
Aug 20, 2013, 05:29 PM
[QUOTE=Brenster;17763043I think the new YouTube icon is my first ios7 era flat icon :)[/QUOTE]

<rant mode on>
Yup I got the new POS flat icon that plagues the rest of IOS7. Must be cheaper to use child labor for this new look.

And for the record, I have really loved IOS through the current version 6. I own a lot of company stock. I'm not just an all around Apple basher, just one who thinks they went the wrong way with the 'new flat look'. Hell, I had a really flat look on my ancient Atari 800 and subsequent PC systems because that's all they could do.

I want immersive UI elements that you can't take your eyes off of even when you want to.

<rant mode off>

iMerik
Aug 20, 2013, 05:42 PM
For those wondering about Background audio, it's because of how Google uses Adobe's Flash to iOS method, which restricts video playback in background.

Also, in iOS 6 update earlier in the year, Apple removed the background video playback via Audio, even in Safari, because for long time, that was considered a bug that was not fixed. So, regardless, if you want background video audio playback, it's been "fixed"

For those listening to audio podcast on YouTube, check iTunes to see if they have a downloadable version in either mp3 or mp4 format. If not, ask if they have any plans to make it downloadable in audio format. (If they don't, either they're lazy, or are technologically limited and don't know how to really set up a podcast via RSS for free)
Thanks for the information!

I can see where background playing would be nice so you could switch to Messages for a moment while listening to the video and then go back to YouTube. For those that want to play audio long-term, like listening to a video podcast while you jog, I feel like you're just trying to mesh two things that aren't meant to go well together. Is the source a video just so you can watch them talk to you without them needing to present any content to you to help with the talk?

applesith
Aug 20, 2013, 05:53 PM
Reminds me of the jasmine app icon.

snowleopard48
Aug 20, 2013, 07:06 PM
Great update, but the one thing I really want is the option to manually select quality. The auto quality selection sometimes makes it so blurry it's impossible to watch, and gets stuck like that for the rest of the video, while it would be much easier to just stop it a few times to wait for it to load, rather than having to completely close the video to make it watchable.

gatearray
Aug 20, 2013, 07:44 PM
Nice Icon (not logo) re-design...flat done right.

Haha, wait until 500,000 other apps reduce their icons to the lowest common denominator as well, we're gonna run out of primary colors and simple shapes. :)

It still blows my mind that now we have retina displays capable of incredible detail, and what theme does Apple choose for the new iOS design? Something that would have been right at home on Mac OS 7 with a 640x480 CRT computer monitor, sigh.

Reminds me of the jasmine app icon.

Get used to every icon reminding you of every icon! :)

a0me
Aug 20, 2013, 09:16 PM
It's very logical for many of us. YouTube is more than video, it's multimedia.
YouTube is a video-sharing website and they make money by serving up ads. I am not saying that you're wrong, but your use of YouTube is very atypical, both from a user and a business perspective.

twoodcc
Aug 20, 2013, 09:22 PM
glad they finally updated it

HowEver
Aug 20, 2013, 10:03 PM
Deleted the app, re-downloaded it, working now.

doug in albq
Aug 20, 2013, 10:04 PM
Haha, wait until 500,000 other apps reduce their icons to the lowest common denominator as well, we're gonna run out of primary colors and simple shapes. :)

It still blows my mind that now we have retina displays capable of incredible detail, and what theme does Apple choose for the new iOS design? Something that would have been right at home on Mac OS 7 with a 640x480 CRT computer monitor, sigh.

Welcome to the MODERN world. Do not despair, my friend, as the design pendulum will eventually start to swing back the other direction...as it always does. Skinny jeans, straight leg, bell-bottom...rinse and repeat.

Drunken Master
Aug 20, 2013, 10:39 PM

You're right, app icons should look like Baroque architecture and the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

How did they miss that.

Am3r1ca16
Aug 20, 2013, 11:24 PM
I love how you can minimize the video and still search for other videos at the same time. just like in the samsung galaxy S4. But it would be better if it was integrated into iOS which I know will never happen.

ReanimationN
Aug 20, 2013, 11:26 PM
Still no onscreen volume controls? Come on Google.

Prodo123
Aug 21, 2013, 12:28 AM
YouTube is a video-sharing website and they make money by serving up ads. I am not saying that you're wrong, but your use of YouTube is very atypical, both from a user and a business perspective.

A large portion of videos are dedicated to playing music with the video portion showing lyrics. That is one of the typical uses of YouTube, and I'm sure you've gone to at least one of these videos. I mean, that's as typical as it gets...unless you enjoy looking at lyrics all day, those "videos" aren't meant to be watched but rather listened to.

Maybe Google should take that into consideration and replace those annoying 5-second-then-skip ads with something more meaningful, because THOSE don't make sense from a user and business perspective.

Zedcars
Aug 21, 2013, 01:59 AM
I was about to download the update and then I saw the new icon...

Someone - pass the sick bucket. What a horrible looking piece of crap! No thanks, I'll stick with the previous version. I don't want that undifferentiated red blob sitting on my iPhone.

The only annoyance is that I'm going to have a permanent update badge stuck to my App Store icon.

ReanimationN
Aug 21, 2013, 06:47 AM
Oh no, I just realised the app's been given the same horrible layout as the Android app. There's no comments, suggested videos and info tabs anymore, it's the same, long, continuously scrolling layout that the Android app has.

The Phazer
Aug 21, 2013, 07:21 AM
I was about to download the update and then I saw the new icon...

Someone - pass the sick bucket. What a horrible looking piece of crap! No thanks, I'll stick with the previous version. I don't want that undifferentiated red blob sitting on my iPhone.

The only annoyance is that I'm going to have a permanent update badge stuck to my App Store icon.

The icon is horrible, but then it's not terribly hard to fix yourself still.

Much harder than it was, granted. Thanks Scott Forstall and iOS6.

----------

A large portion of videos are dedicated to playing music with the video portion showing lyrics. That is one of the typical uses of YouTube, and I'm sure you've gone to at least one of these videos. I mean, that's as typical as it gets...unless you enjoy looking at lyrics all day, those "videos" aren't meant to be watched but rather listened to.

Google aren't allowed to let that use of YouTube exist under their deals with the music labels. That's not going to change.

It is precisely to stop this use that the change was made.

Rossatron
Aug 21, 2013, 07:43 AM
last time i used the official youtube app it was complete rubbish. wouldn't play HD, lots of stutter and what not.

Razeus
Aug 21, 2013, 01:04 PM
An awesome update. I love the Google stuff. Updates galore WITHOUT waiting for an annual OS update to add features. I wish Apple would do this on a regular basis, but then again, the barely update their desktop apps so...

lencotb
Aug 21, 2013, 03:12 PM
Does anyone know how Google implented this transparency effect you see when you have a video minimized in the right corner and when you slide the video ton the left the transparency appears? Is this CSS or Objective C? And dragging a video down to get the pip, is it the same technique? CSS or Objective C

kjs862
Aug 21, 2013, 04:37 PM
Really liking this app. Great update!

cclloyd
Aug 22, 2013, 01:45 AM
But still no background audio? No ability to configure video quality based on connection speed or device video resolution? Fail.

Luckily I'm sure Protube will fix that after a JB comes out.

-------------

On another note, the icon's been iOS 7ified. It would be fine, but the red is too... red. And I don't like that they tried to make it 3D.

Xenc
Aug 22, 2013, 05:29 AM

I'm not too sure about this. Background audio functions fine in iOS 7, and whilst on youtube.com

Whatever happened to "it just works"?

John.B
Aug 22, 2013, 09:00 AM

:confused:

Not sure why you're looking to place the blame with Apple on this.

The limitation on background audio in the YT app is 100% on Google.

alchemistmuffin
Aug 24, 2013, 06:21 PM

It DOES WORK!!!!! I do not mean to offend anyone, but people are just plain stupid, and don't know how things work. It's really easy to make an audio version of podcast that they made for YouTube by simply exporting the file to audio only, host it on web server with RSS, and then post it on iTunes.

It's simply easy as following this instruction:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1819

asthamapheo
Aug 25, 2013, 08:25 AM
looks like google learned from samsung...that's samsung's feature. but who cares, it's a good feature and everyone should have access to it

harlemexplosion
Aug 25, 2013, 09:05 AM

Maybe Google should take that into consideration and replace those annoying 5-second-then-skip ads with something more meaningful, because THOSE don't make sense from a user and business perspective.

I think that videos are the more typical use of youtube. While music with lyrics do exist within Youtube, the most popular videos are still.... well... videos. Most videos are mini shows that talk about something or more like rant about something. There is a reason why people love "watching" youtube... not simply listening to it. Just my 2 cents.

heutusops
Aug 25, 2013, 09:27 AM
i love it, gonna go update it:D