PDA

View Full Version : Accessing 2 iTunes libraries on 1 ATV

misslind
Aug 21, 2013, 04:19 AM
I'm writing from Germany, and my Mac was purchased here, so forgive me if I sometimes use the wrong terminology; I always have to remember what the English equivalents are.

I share a Mac with my boyfriend. We each have separate iTunes IDs and separate sign ons - this works fine. We just got an ATV, and I was able to set it up with 2 Apple IDs, but no matter which ID is signed on (on the ATV), I can only access my media library under the "computer" tab.

I have activated homesharing on the Mac for both of our libraries (see screenshot), but this obviously didn't allow me to see both libraries on ATV.

What am I doing wrong?

priitv8
Aug 21, 2013, 05:06 AM
The pic you show, is not for HomeSharing. It is for the old library sharing.
For aTV you need to make sure your 2 Macs and aTV all log in to Home Sharing with the same Apple ID. It must not be your ID you use for store purchases (but it can be, doesn't hurt).
On the Macs you need to sign in to HS in File menu (iTunes 11):
http://pad1.whstatic.com/images/thumb/8/85/Share-Music-Between-Two-Computers-with-Home-Share-Step-3.jpg/550px-Share-Music-Between-Two-Computers-with-Home-Share-Step-3.jpg
PS Once you start Home Sharing your media, you can switch off the old-style sharing (on your pic). Won't affect your playback and media sharing in any way.

misslind
Aug 21, 2013, 05:13 AM
Thank you so much for the answer, but I do have a question about it. We don't have separate Macs - we just have one, so if I turn on HomeSharing with my iTunes ID when he is logged on to the Mac, we won't see his library, we will see my iTunes account - or do I still not get it?

I do have the most recent iTunes version, and I did turn on the HomeSharing like shown above. But like I wrote, there is only 1 PC, so I checked the HomeSharing like you showed above and it was already activated (with my iTunes ID) and switched to my boyfriend's log in (on the Mac), and his was also already activated under his iTunes ID.

Panch0
Aug 21, 2013, 07:41 AM
both iTunes Libraries need to use the same account for HomeSharing. This is different from the account that is used for the iTunes Store. Have the BF turn home sharing OFF, then turn it back on using YOUR iTunes account.

Alternately, create a new AppleID that you can share and use that for Home Sharing on BOTH accounts AND the ATV. All three must use the same Home Sharing ID.

For Home Sharing to work, iTunes must be running. This may be a problem for you as I am not sure if you can leave it running in the background and still have it available. The only way it would possibly work is if you use the User Switching built into OS X to keep both of you logged in at the same time.

misslind
Aug 21, 2013, 12:46 PM
Panch0: Thank you so much! That worked!