PDA

View Full Version : New apartment = new Macs, TVs, home theater questions

FrenchPB
Aug 21, 2013, 05:17 AM
Hey all,

I'll soon move from my small student apartment to a brand new 3-bedrooms apartment. Very excited about the move, but I need help to plan my dream computer and home theater set up in the new place.

Right now, I only have a late 2011 27" iMac connected to a 32-inch TV in the main room of the apartment... the desk is in the living room, so I can do it all on my iMac then watch TV shows and sports on the big screen TV (source = iMac).

In the new place, I'll have a 55-inch TV in the living room, a 32-inch TV in the master bedroom, and a 26-inch TV in the kitchen. The 27-inch iMac will be in a secondary bedroom / office room. Every TV and computer will be linked to the network.

So here's the main question : what would be the best way to access and control all my media on the different TV ? I mostly watch large HD sports video files downloaded on the internet, TV shows and some movies stored on an external harddrive.

There are many possibilities, I really would like to hear your advices to select what to buy :

- could I just buy a big external harddrive, plug it to my router, put m video files on it and access video files directly on the TVs (I need to buy new TVs, I don't know if the new models can decode large HD files) ?

- should I get a Mac Mini in the living room for a powerful Home Theater experience, to watch 1080p videos with DTS sound ?

- would Apple TVs in the master bedrooms and kitchen add something that current smart TVs do not have ?

Basically, I think my current iMac won't be enough to do all the things I'd like. I probably need to buy a Mac Mini or a MBA, as well as Apple TVs and maybe an iPad mini to control everything.

Could you guys help me out find the right combo ?