PDA

View Full Version : Will There be an Beta 7?

whiteshadoww
Aug 21, 2013, 08:52 AM
My first year as a developer so not sure we have ever gone from a beta with clear issues (iOS Beta 6) to a GM. Has this happened in the past or has the last Beta before GM been 99% perfect?

zbarvian
Aug 21, 2013, 08:53 AM
Wait and see. I'd personally be shocked if there wasn't another beta.

Tyler23
Aug 21, 2013, 08:54 AM
My first year as a developer so not sure we have ever gone from a beta will clear issues (iOS Beta 6) to a GM. Has this happened in the past or has the last Beta before GM been 99% perfect?

Even GMs are never 100% perfect. That's why there are point releases (6.0.1, 6.1, etc..).

As of now, we have no idea if there will be a beta 7. I hope so, and I hope it comes soon, but for all we know we could get nothing until the GM around September 10th. So all we can do is wait and see.

fullauto
Aug 21, 2013, 09:03 AM
One would hope.

C DM
Aug 21, 2013, 09:34 AM
Did the other beta release threads not address this kind of question somehow?

Gogurt48
Aug 21, 2013, 09:37 AM
At least we know we aren't going to have to wait more than three more weeks for an update. Of course, I hope there's a beta 7 and that it arrives soon. Today would be nice. :)

bp1000
Aug 21, 2013, 12:15 PM
I hope so

I like the number 7

stu.h
Aug 21, 2013, 12:16 PM
No Beta 7 today

Armen
Aug 21, 2013, 12:29 PM
there has to be a Beta 7. 6 is still crashing in settings and other places sometimes.

Paddle1
Aug 21, 2013, 12:31 PM
It's "a" beta, not "an" beta. And I think there will be one.

ionjohn
Aug 21, 2013, 12:35 PM
Even GMs are never 100% perfect. That's why there are point releases (6.0.1, 6.1, etc..).

As of now, we have no idea if there will be a beta 7. I hope so, and I hope it comes soon, but for all we know we could get nothing until the GM around September 10th. So all we can do is wait and see.

In the past years, the GM build was the same as the release build so yeah we might have to wait until 7.01 or 7.1 to get rid of all bugs

Tyler23
Aug 21, 2013, 12:36 PM
In the past years, the GM build was the same as the release build so yeah we might have to wait until 7.01 or 7.1 to get rid of all bugs

Yes, I know that the GM is the release build. What I'm saying is that even the version that's released is never perfect, that's why there are further updates to the OS as time goes on. Even these updates can still have bugs.

nikicampos
Aug 21, 2013, 12:47 PM

Mmm no, there's never a version that gets rid of all bugs, even 6.1.4 has some, so yeah, some versions are more stable than others but never bug free.

ionjohn
Aug 21, 2013, 12:48 PM
Mmm no, there's never a version that gets rid of all bugs, even 6.1.4 has some, so yeah, some versions are more stable than others but never bug free.

Yeah well there'll always be bugs in a OS but I meant it'll be mostly stable by 7.01

nikicampos
Aug 21, 2013, 01:17 PM
Yeah well there'll always be bugs in a OS but I meant it'll be mostly stable by 7.01

It's pretty stable right now (beta 6) so when the public release comes out it'll be even more stable, and remember the debug code that slows down betas, so it'll be faster.

jbenkelman
Aug 21, 2013, 01:23 PM
I don't think I am ready for the fun of the beta cycle to be over. Bring on beta 7 so we can enjoy it one last time this cycle!

WJKramer
Aug 22, 2013, 11:46 AM
Do I smell a beta in the air? Any chance we will see one in 15 mins?

Mabus51
Aug 22, 2013, 11:48 AM
One would hope. But I seriously doubt it. I think :apple: will make us wait for GM release now.

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 11:50 AM
Do I smell a beta in the air? Any chance we will see one in 15 mins?Going to be asking the same thing 24 hours from now?

nikicampos
Do I smell a beta in the air? Any chance we will see one in 15 mins?

By now it's pretty hard to tell unless someone has insider information, beta 6 can easily be the one previous the GM.

Of course anyone can guess it right, but I don't think anyone is willing to bet all their money on an exact date.

Gogurt48
Well, it's almost 1:00 Eastern time. Who's up for a nice steaming cup of disappointment?

WJKramer
Aug 22, 2013, 11:52 AM
Well, it's almost 1:00 Eastern time. Who's up for a nice steaming cup of disappointment?

I know....lets ask BGR.com!

Tyler23
Aug 22, 2013, 11:53 AM

Every day something new gives me hope..Today, it's that Mavericks DP 6 was released last night, and Mavericks DPs and iOS 7 betas have usually been pushed simultaneous days.

Of course, I'm fully prepared for disappointment..but we'll see.

Orlandoech.com
Aug 22, 2013, 11:53 AM
Beta 6 has significant bugs with settings, safari and messages apps crashing.

Gogurt48
Aug 22, 2013, 11:54 AM
I know....lets ask BGR.com!

Good idea! They have inside sources, you know.

WJKramer
Aug 22, 2013, 11:54 AM
Every day something new gives me hope..Today, it's that Mavericks DP 6 was released last night, and Mavericks DPs and iOS 7 betas have usually been pushed simultaneous days.

Of course, I'm fully prepared for disappointment..but we'll see.

OSX 10.8.5 was seeded in-house today too apparently. Someones active!

Orlandoech.com
Aug 22, 2013, 11:55 AM
It's pretty stable right now (beta 6) so when the public release comes out it'll be even more stable, and remember the debug code that slows down betas, so it'll be faster.

Not even close to stable enough. Even with clean install.

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 11:56 AM
Beta 6 has significant bugs with settings, safari and messages apps crashing.Perhaps for some (and perhaps related to something else in some way) since these don't seem to be widespread issues.

Sodner
Aug 22, 2013, 11:56 AM
Beta 6 has been very solid for me. I hope the GM gets better battery life but other than that I have been extremely happy with this beta.

Edit: And Oh I did a fresh install of beta 2 and all other OTA. Just fyi..

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 11:57 AM
Not even close to stable enough. Even with clean install.Doesn't seem to be something that most are experiencing.

dannyyankou
Aug 22, 2013, 12:01 PM
Not today

nikicampos
Aug 22, 2013, 12:06 PM
Not even close to stable enough. Even with clean install.

Well, we have a different opinion on what a stable beta is, obviously if you compare it to iOS 6.1.4, no, but if you compare it to previous iOS 7 betas and iOS 6 betas, it's very stable, I think Apple will seed one more beta (Beta 7) before the GM, but also, it wouldn't surprised me if beta 6 is the one previous the GM.

sunsetblow
Aug 22, 2013, 12:11 PM
They still have a lot of bugs to squash... definitely will be a beta 7

Orlandoech.com
Aug 22, 2013, 12:12 PM
Well, we have a different opinion on what a stable beta is, obviously if you compare it to iOS 6.1.4, no, but if you compare it to previous iOS 7 betas and iOS 6 betas, it's very stable, I think Apple will seed one more beta (Beta 7) before the GM, but also, it wouldn't surprised me if beta 6 is the one previous the GM.

True. I hope one more beta too.

Fenderf4i
Aug 22, 2013, 12:13 PM
Beta 6 has significant bugs with settings, safari and messages apps crashing.

I have had zero crashing on my 4S. It's so good I'd swear it's the GM if it didn't say otherwise.

naasrd
Aug 22, 2013, 12:31 PM
You lost me at "an"

Parise
Aug 22, 2013, 01:00 PM
Yes, I know that the GM is the release build. What I'm saying is that even the version that's released is never perfect, that's why there are further updates to the OS as time goes on. Even these updates can still have bugs.

"Never perfect" and "extremely buggy" are two different things.

Beta 6 is the latter.

----------

I have had zero crashing on my 4S. It's so good I'd swear it's the GM if it didn't say otherwise.

And many people disagree with you.

ajt1995
Aug 22, 2013, 01:06 PM
If you guys have that many problems, go back to iOS 6. Apple will send an OTA to your phone when iOS 7 is done.

edit: I've never had my Safari crash...

Parise
Aug 22, 2013, 01:06 PM

Let me list for you the issues I'm having and please let me know if you consider this "stable".

My messages force close on certain threads requiring me to reboot my phone in order to access them. In addition to that, after running the phone for a period of time, my messages won't update requiring me to back out of whatever message I'm in, close the messages app, and reopen.

Safari force closes way too often. This site, actually, causes my safari to crash at least 50% of the time.

When editing pics, on certain ones that I've taken (havent found a pattern yet) rotating a picture causes my photo app to crash.

I'm not sure what you consider "stable", but this is not stable. Not even close.

Armen
Aug 22, 2013, 01:09 PM
If Developers are going to get the GM on Sept 10 then technically if we're looking at the 2 week schedule Beta 7 should drop on the 27th which is next Tuesday.

ajt1995
Aug 22, 2013, 01:10 PM
If Developers are going to get the GM on Sept 10 then technically if we're looking at the 2 week schedule Beta 7 should drop on the 27th which is next Tuesday.

They have a lot of work to do before its ready for the GM label...

nikicampos
Aug 22, 2013, 01:13 PM
Let me list for you the issues I'm having and please let me know if you consider this "stable".

My messages force close on certain threads requiring me to reboot my phone in order to access them. In addition to that, after running the phone for a period of time, my messages won't update requiring me to back out of whatever message I'm in, close the messages app, and reopen.

Safari force closes way too often. This site, actually, causes my safari to crash at least 50% of the time.

When editing pics, on certain ones that I've taken (havent found a pattern yet) rotating a picture causes my photo app to crash.

I'm not sure what you consider "stable", but this is not stable. Not even close.

For me... None.

I'm not sure what you consider "stable", but this is stable. So close to GM.

Parise
Aug 22, 2013, 01:22 PM

For me... None.

Ah the ol "its not a problem for me, therefore it must not be a problem" mantra that I see so much on these forums.

In the 13 years I've worked as a software engineer, I consider a release "stable" when it can completely pass regression testing of all core functionality AND perform any new functionality without error aside from the minor bugs here and there. As you may have noticed above, I gave you 4 situations where core functionality is broken completely and it's not broken just for me. There are plenty on this forum who have the same problem, just read the threads.

Defender2010
Aug 22, 2013, 01:31 PM
so many updates today....it may come later.

kaiseryeahhh
Aug 22, 2013, 01:34 PM
The beta 6 in the iPad 3 it's very slow and many bugs.
Beta 7 it's necessary, or GM very optimized.

imaginex20
Aug 22, 2013, 01:38 PM
so many updates today....it may come later.

Agree. I think the update is imminent today.

Parise
Aug 22, 2013, 01:38 PM
Agree. I think the update is imminent today.

If my memory serves me correctly, Beta 6 came out at like 8PM EST.

Cougarcat
Aug 22, 2013, 01:39 PM
The beta 6 in the iPad 3 it's very slow and many bugs.
Beta 7 it's necessary, or GM very optimized.

As per the rumor, I have a strong suspicion the iPad version will come out in October along with the new iPads.

Stalyn
Aug 22, 2013, 01:46 PM
I'm so hard mentally that I think it be out today.

nikicampos
Aug 22, 2013, 01:52 PM
Ah the ol "its not a problem for me, therefore it must not be a problem" mantra that I see so much on these forums.

In the 13 years I've worked as a software engineer, I consider a release "stable" when it can completely pass regression testing of all core functionality AND perform any new functionality without error aside from the minor bugs here and there. As you may have noticed above, I gave you 4 situations where core functionality is broken completely and it's not broken just for me. There are plenty on this forum who have the same problem, just read the threads.

What threads???

The only ones that have activity are the "App Failure List" for beta 4 and beta 5.

Your are the one that should be reading more threads and see that for almost everyone beta 6 it's been good, beta 6 could easily be the one prior the GM, if not, I don't think it will feel much different than beta 7 if it comes out.

JarScott
Aug 22, 2013, 01:54 PM

Does that mean we won't see a public release on keynote day?

TommyA6
Aug 22, 2013, 01:55 PM
Tomorrow will be a week since beta 6 arrived, and it makes more sense for beta 7 to come a week from that than only a couple of days (had it been released on Monday or Tuesday). A week gives them enough time to iron out bugs which were introduced in beta 6 (although it was a fairly small update).
Of course this is just pure speculation and beta 7 could arrive next Monday or Tuesday (or not at all) :D

Cougarcat
Aug 22, 2013, 01:56 PM
Does that mean we won't see a public release on keynote day?

If it's like previous years, no. Just the GM for developers. But if you google you'll be able to find it, and it'll most likely be the same as the final released the following week.

mr100percent
Aug 22, 2013, 02:09 PM
As for the people claiming it's stable, you are clearly iPhone users and not iPad ones. Beta 6 for iPad still has many bugs; known crashes and freezes. There's even a crash involving the Smart Cover. Checking every day for a new release.

kaiseryeahhh
Aug 22, 2013, 02:09 PM
As per the rumor, I have a strong suspicion the iPad version will come out in October along with the new iPads.

It's possible...
Apple out beta 7 for iPad and not for iPhone?

Parise
Aug 22, 2013, 02:25 PM
As for the people claiming it's stable, you are clearly iPhone users and not iPad ones. Beta 6 for iPad still has many bugs; known crashes and freezes. There's even a crash involving the Smart Cover. Checking every day for a new release.

Nah, they're the "lucky" ones. Not even the iPhone is stable.

apollo1444
Aug 22, 2013, 02:28 PM

For me... None.

Apple will definitely release a beta 7 current release has still lots of bugs.

ajt1995
Aug 22, 2013, 02:33 PM
Nah, they're the "lucky" ones. Not even the iPhone is stable.

Mine is... I don't have any explanation... :apple:

Parise
Aug 22, 2013, 02:36 PM

Many explanations, I may have different apps installed than you, my message sizes may be larger, network configuration, etc.

Not everyone is running the same exact phone/software configuration.

Cougarcat
Aug 22, 2013, 02:37 PM

It's stable, but there are plenty of small bugs if you look for them. The only annoying one for me is the long boot times.

Here's a fun one: launch an app, then immediately hold your finger on the app icon. You'll get a mini window of the app you can move around for a second.

whiteshadoww
Aug 22, 2013, 02:49 PM
You lost me at "an"

Oh man you are so clever spotting the error.

You know what someone who is really truly clever does? They understand the issue being raised (notwithstanding the error) and add to the conversation.

Showing off your "intellect" with a snide comment is only a sign of insecurity.

zbarvian
Aug 22, 2013, 03:15 PM
It's stable, but there are plenty of small bugs if you look for them. The only annoying one for me is the long boot times.

Here's a fun one: launch an app, then immediately hold your finger on the app icon. You'll get a mini window of the app you can move around for a second.

Ah! That's really strange, sort of amusing. Yes, beta 6 is far from a final version.

WJKramer
Aug 22, 2013, 03:19 PM
Going to be asking the same thing 24 hours from now?

No...because I will be out of town for the weekend....I am sure someone will take my place though....I will resume Monday.

Mrg02d
Aug 22, 2013, 03:22 PM
Oh man you are so clever spotting the error.

You know what someone who is really truly clever does? They understand the issue being raised (notwithstanding the error) and add to the conversation.

Showing off your "intellect" with a snide comment is only a sign of insecurity.

Lol. It IS a pretty bad grammatical error! I'd have just blamed it on "Otto". (Otto is my name for auto correct.)

whiteshadoww
Aug 22, 2013, 03:26 PM
Lol. It IS a pretty bad grammatical error! I'd have just blamed it on "Otto". (Otto is my name for auto correct.)

It is. I think my initial idea was to write "Will There be an iOS 7 Beta 7" and I dropped the iOS.

roadbloc
Aug 22, 2013, 04:09 PM
Steve told me its coming tomorrow.