Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I know the HTC One received almost universal acclaim from professional reviews but just demoing the phone a few times I view it as a mess of a device. I commend its screen, curved aluminum backing, and front speakers, but there is so much not to like about this phone IMO. If the One does not sell well for HTC, I feel they only have themselves to blame.

I really think HTC screwed up with the One. There is so much I personally don't like about it and I have to think some others agree.

The most glaring issues IMO.

1. Terrible placement of power button. Top left is just terrible. Power button should always be on the right side of the phone when your phone sports a screen larger than 4.5". This becomes even more important when waking your phone requires you to hit the power button because there is no physical home button.

2. Notification light is way too small and hidden in the speaker grille.

3. Volume buttons are way too recessed.

4. Lack of Menu button forces it to be found on-screen at times, taking up screen real estate.

5. Home button bizarrely placed in the lower right.

6. Blinkfeed cannot be removed entirely from a home screen. Sure you can disable all feeds and hide it away on a screen of your choice but this feels like a workaround and not a proper solution.

Again, I'm not saying the One is worthless. There are things I do like about it. But its flaws seem obvious and I think HTC made some bad decisions with this phone. Perhaps choices they could not afford to make at this time.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
There is an option to return a smartphone after I admit a rather short timeframe for trial but I say most did not with regards to the One.

Klosefabrinio

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
yeah, although it does have some great things, but i also returned the phone, they should move the power button to right side, they should add a home button (imagine if that HTC logo worked as a home button, that would've been awesome), the ultrapixel camera produces bad results in bright light and there is not SD card slot. HTC should improve this.

PerfectDB

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2012
Boston, Lincolnshire
I actually agree with all of the OPs points, but I'd argue they're minor issues, which are addressed in part by the 4.2.3/4.3 update. I'd still take the One over other devices, quirks
and all.

HTC may have issues, but I'd hardly call the One a mess.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

1. Terrible placement of power button. Top left is just terrible. Power button should always be on the right side of the phone when your phone sports a screen larger than 4.5". This becomes even more important when waking your phone requires you to hit the power button because there is no physical home button.

What about left handed people.... I never found it a bother, on the other hand I'm always accidentally pressing / tipping off my S4 power button. I actually wish it was on the top like the iPhone, Z10 or HTC One.

But you can see it clearly when it lights up so what's the problem ? Why do you need to see it when it's not lit up ?

? ? Never had the problem.

4. Lack of Menu button forces it to be found on-screen at times, taking up screen real estate.

Corrected in 4.2.2

Design choice, but can understand some folks not liking it. I never was bothered but I certainly don't speak for everyone.

Solution use an app that makes swiping up from the HTC logo return you to the home screen.

6. Blinkfeed cannot be removed entirely from a home screen. Sure you can disable all feeds and hide it away on a screen of your choice but this feels like a workaround and not a proper solution.

Design choice, but can understand some folks not liking it. I never was bothered but I certainly don't speak for everyone.

Solution : use a launcher like Nova or Apex

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007

What about left handed people.... I never found it a bother, on the other hand I'm always accidentally pressing my S4 power button

But you can see it when it lights up so what's the problem ? Why do you need to see it when it's not ?

? ? Never had the problem.

Corrected in 4.2.2

Studies say that 70%-90% of humans are right handed. Makes more sense to cater to them. Also how exactly do you keep accidentally hitting the power button on the S4?

The light itself is simply too small. My guess is that it's easier to miss because it's so small plus it would be easier to see if it were larger like the one on the S4.

Volume button is way too flush with the side of the device. If you have no issue with it so be it but a button on the side should always stick out a bit.

So the Menu issue is gone now with 4.2.2?

Does using a launcher eliminate Blinkfeed from showing up on all your screens?

If you can use an app to swipe up from the logo that's certainly an improvement to an issue that should have never existed in the first place.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Studies say that 70%-90% of humans are right handed. Makes more sense to cater to them. Also how exactly do you keep accidentally hitting the power button on the S4?

When I pick it up I tend to hold it from the upper part rather than lower and always seem to tip off the power button or if I am putting it in my right hand to type with my left, I find I occasionally accidentally press the power button with my thumb. I accidently press it at least once a day if not more.

The light itself is simply too small. My guess is that it's easier to miss because it's so small plus it would be easier to see if it were larger like the one on the S4.

Yeah never really had an issue, I aways saw it when it blinking at me - so maybe it's a manufacture defect of yours that its hidden behind a grill hole more than it should be ?

Volume button is way too flush with the side of the device. If you have no issue with it so be it but a button on the side should always stick out a bit.

I ask because some folks also said their power button was very flush , neither my power-button or volume buttons were so flush that they were hard to press or feel, so I'm wondering if it could be your handset perhaps ?

Yep. You can assign a long press of the back button to be menu.

Yep.

If you can use an app to swipe up from the logo that's certainly an improvement to an issue that should have never existed in the first place.

Again it was a design choice but yeah there is an app Coach has linked to previously that can do what you want to improve the experience for you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.matthewma.swipehomebuttonfree&hl=en

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

I had to comment on that haha. That seems like a massive difference...are there 30% lefties or 10% lefties

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007

When I pick it up I tend to hold it from the upper part rather than lower and always seem to tip off the power button or if I am putting it in my right hand to type with my left, I find I occasionally accidentally press the power button with my thumb. I accidently press it at least once a day if not more.

Yeah never really had an issue, I aways saw it when it blinking at me - so maybe it's a manufacture defect of yours that its hidden behind a grill hole more than it should be ?

I ask because some folks also said their power button was very flush , neither my power-button or volume buttons were so flush that they were hard to press or feel, so I'm wondering if it could be your handset perhaps ?

Yep. You can assign a long press of the back button to be menu.

Yep.

Again it was a design choice but yeah there is an app Coach has linked to previously that can do what you want to improve the experience for you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.matthewma.swipehomebuttonfree&hl=en

I've never heard this complaint before about accidentally hitting the power button on the side. When on a flat surface I always pick my phone up in the middle or bottom. I'm guessing most others do too.

I don't have the One. But I've seen the notification light in person and in images online. It's tiny. If it doesn't bother you so be it but the light itself is smaller than what is used by most other OEM's.

Again, I don't own an One. I stated that from the start. And it's a complaint I've seen in reviews and from users online. The power button and volume buttons are way too flush IMO.

But is the Menu icon gone from appearing on the screen?

Good to know a launcher will eliminate Blinkfeed entirely from appearing.

Again, it's good that an app exists for such a thing but I think HTC was just mistaken by placing that home button in the lower right. No other OEM does this and for good reason.

----------

I had to comment on that haha. That seems like a massive difference...are there 30% lefties or 10% lefties

It's impossible to say for sure. Usually the common saying is that 9 out of 10 people are right handed. It's probably closer to 80%-90% versus 70% but regardless the majority of people are right handed is the point.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
The OPs concerns are valid and part of the reason I didn't get one.
I do believe HTC can improve these issues on the next version and make a great phone.

Additionally I would like to add that the bezels on the screen needs to get smaller and the screen needs to get a little larger.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
HTC's bigger problem is they get Samsung's leftovers in the Android market and Nokia's leftovers in the WP market.

The One is a good phone. So is the 8X. But looking forward, there's a good chance they're screwed in each of their submarkets whether they put out a good phone or not. Which is why their stock is taking a dump and Lenovo and other companies are trying to buy them out.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
The OPs concerns are valid and part of the reason I didn't get one.
I do believe HTC can improve these issues on the next version and make a great phone.

Additionally I would like to add that the bezels on the screen needs to get smaller and the screen needs to get a little larger.

Agreed. Envision the HTC One but with 3 on-screen buttons and a 5" screen. (Plus a power button on the right side.) Now that would have been a killer flagship.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
There is no perfect phone. I own the iPhone 5 and the HTC One and really like them both for fairly different reasons. The OP points are all valid opinions but many of them exist on other phones.

Build quality and styling wise, its tough to find a phone better than the One right now and that is one big reason i think the pundits love it right now.

I like the buttons overall and i guess my fairly large hands have no problems with the placement of the power button per se.

Blinkfeed I really like, so can't identify with the desire to deinstall it. I suppose one could always put a stock Rom on it if they wanted.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
There is no perfect phone. I own the iPhone 5 and the HTC One and really like them both for fairly different reasons. The OP points are all valid opinions but many of them exist on other phones.

Build quality and styling wise, its tough to find a phone better than the One right now and that is one big reason i think the pundits love it right now.

I like the buttons overall and i guess my fairly large hands have no problems with the placement of the power button per se.

Blinkfeed I really like, so can't identify with the desire to deinstall it. I suppose one could always put a stock Rom on it if they wanted.

It's less of an issue if a launcher eliminates it from your screens entirely. However HTC should have allowed an option to get rid of it from all your screens without needing a launcher. It reminds me of Apple's Newstand app that could not be hidden until iOS 7.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Agreed. Envision the HTC One but with 3 on-screen buttons and a 5" screen. (Plus a power button on the right side.) Now that would have been a killer flagship.

I would not have purchased my One if it had a 5" screen.

----------

Agreed. There are compromises with every phone.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I would not have purchased my One if it had a 5" screen.

You really think that .3" would have been much harder to handle? I went from an iPhone 5 to the S4 Active and I can still use it with one hand with no issues. And I have borderline small hands for a man.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I don't have the One. But I've seen the notification light in person and in images online. It's tiny. If it doesn't bother you so be it but the light itself is smaller than what is used by most other OEM's.

Again, I don't own an One. I stated that from the start. And it's a complaint I've seen in reviews and from users online. The power button and volume buttons are way too flush IMO.

So your opinion is not based on first hand experience ? :confused::confused::confused:

So your opinions are formed third hand ???

Well in that case here's a big list of mistakes from companies that have designed products that I don't own or have used in person....

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

If that's what you prefer, it's already available, called the Galaxy S4. ;)

To address some of your qualms:

1. I guess I'm in the minority with MR but I dislike having the power/sleep button on the ride side. I'm right handed and when I hold the phone, my thumb is always close to the power button if its on the ride--was always inadvertently pressing it on my Note II. With the One I find it much easier to just slide my index finger up behind the device to press it on the top left--moving it to the top right make it even less convenient.

2. Yes it's small but I've never had a problem seeing it, even in bright daylight. If there is a fault with it, it's that it's a two color LED--only red or green. I loved being able to customize the notification light on the Note II.

3. Never had a problem using them. My thumb is always very closely but unlike the problem I had with the Note II, because they are nearly flush, inadvertent presses aren't a problem.

4. Already addressed, though we are still on 4.1.2 in North America so we're still waiting on this fix.

5. Yup, not typical and while I have no problems using it, not using the space where the HTC logo is was a mistake IMO.

6. Won't disagree, though I actually like it and use it regularly. I use Nova launcher so it's not on my home screens but I configure Sense so that Blinkfeed is my only home screen in Sense and set up a gesture in Nova to launch it--best of both worlds IMO.

No, the HTC One isn't perfect in my opinion but I could create a similar thread identifying what I see as flaws in the Galaxy S4 (and thus why I didn't purchase it). There never will be a perfect smartphone because so much of what we're looking for is subjective and varies from individual to individual.

----------

You really think that .3" would have been much harder to handle? I went from an iPhone 5 to the S4 Active and I can still use it with one hand with no issues. And I have borderline small hands for a man.

But the One is already as big, if not bigger than the S4, mostly because of the large dual speakers. An HTC One with a 5" display and an S4 with a 5” display are not the same size device.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

1. I guess I'm in the minority with MR but I dislike having the power/sleep button on the ride side. I'm right handed and when I hold the phone, my thumb is always close to the power button if its on the ride--was always inadvertently pressing it on my Note II. With the One I find it much easier to just slide my index finger up behind the device to press it on the top left--moving it to the top right make it even less convenient.

2. Yes it's small but I've never had a problem seeing it, even in bright daylight. If there is a fault with it, it's that it's a two color LED--only red or green. I loved being able to customize the notification light on the Note II.

3. Never had a problem using them. My thumb is always very closely but unlike the problem I had with the Note II, because they are nearly flush, inadvertent presses aren't a problem.

4. Already addressed, though we are still on 4.1.2 in North America so we're still waiting on this fix.

5. Yup, not typical and while I have no problems using it, not using the space where the HTC logo is was a mistake IMO.

6. Won't disagree, though I actually like it and use it regularly. I use Nova launcher so it's not on my home screens but I configure Sense so that Blinkfeed is my only home screen in Sense and set up a gesture in Nova to launch it--best of both worlds IMO.

No, the HTC One isn't perfect in my opinion but I could create a similar thread identifying what I see as flaws in the Galaxy S4 (and thus why I didn't purchase it). There never will be a perfect smartphone because so much of what we're looking for is subjective and varies from individual to individual.

----------

But the One is already as big, if not bigger than the S4, mostly because do the large dual speakers. An HTC One with a 5" display and an S4 with a 5” display are not the same size device.

I've used the One and now have a GS4 and I agree with 100% of this post.

The One is a great handset - if I come into some extra money, I'm thinking about going back and getting a GPE just for funsies.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
So your opinion is not based on first hand experience ? :confused::confused::confused:

So your opinions are formed third hand ???

Well in that case here's a big list of mistakes from companies that have designed products that I don't own or have used in person....

My opinions are in no way invalidated because the One is not my daily driver.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007

But the One is already as big, if not bigger than the S4, mostly because of the large dual speakers. An HTC One with a 5" display and an S4 with a 5” display are not the same size device.

I've never once come close to hitting the power button on my S4 by accident. I think most people hold their phones on the bottom or the middle, and the power button is essentially in upper right. Also having to constantly hit that power button in the upper left with my index finger would be a nightmare. Mimicking this action on my S4 is so awkward and unnatural.

I'd say that's another flaw with the One. It's just as big if not slightly bigger than the S4 yet the screen is .3" smaller.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My opinions are in no way invalidated because the One is not my daily driver.

No but it's like forming beliefs on politics and history etc.. from wikipedia...... or something you overheard in a bar one time...

It also begs why would you start a thread bemoaning a device you don't own or use ? It just seems crazy ? If it was a newbie we would all be calling them trolls.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Maybe not completely - but you can't blame those of us who actually owned the phone and used it daily for taking your comments with a MASSIVE grain of salt now...

Well that's your fault and anyone who chooses to do so. Notice how many people here that use or used the One are already saying my points are valid. If you want to dismiss my original points in any way because I don't use the One then that's your choosing. I would counter that my conclusions are obvious ones and it's up to any user to determine whether it would bother them or not. I in absolutely no way feel anything that I've stated initially should be taken with any grain of salt or anything else. A lot of this is common sense stuff. Home button on the lower right? Power button on the upper left? Flushed buttons? Come on.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well that's your fault and anyone who chooses to do so. Notice how many people here that use or used the One are already saying my points are valid. If you want to dismiss my original points in any way because I don't use the One then that's your choosing. I would counter that my conclusions are obvious ones and it's up to any user to determine whether it would bother them or not. I in absolutely no way feel anything that I've stated initially should be taken with any grain of salt or anything else. A lot of this is common sense stuff. Home button on the lower right? Power button on the upper left? Flushed buttons? Come on.

Seriously step back.

This is the kind of post we would all be under normal circumstances face palming. I'm genuinely shocked it's coming from a regular poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.