Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Taiwan's Apple Daily has posted a new video [Google translation, via iPhone Hacks] showing a hands-on overview of the plastic rear shell of Apple's "iPhone 5C". While the shell has been seen a number of times in photos and a few videos, Apple Daily highlights the durability of the shell while also taking measurements of the part with a digital caliper. Assuming the part is a legitimate back shell sourced from Apple's supply chain, the report offers a few additional details about what to expect from the iPhone 5C.

iphone-5s_5c_apple_daily_promo.jpg
In the durability tests, Apple Daily placed the shell in a plastic bag with a key and some coins before shaking the bag vigorously, then removing the items and attempting to directly scratch the shell with the key. While the video is somewhat blurry at times, the accompanying article notes that there were no visible scratches on the shell. According to sources, the shell scores a high "8H" rating on the pencil hardness test.

iphone_5c_key_scratch.jpg
Based on caliper measurements, the iPhone 5C measures 124.55 mm tall x 59.13 mm wide, in line with case makers' design drawings showing it slightly larger than the iPhone 5/5S due to the thicker plastic shell. Apple Daily measure the thickness of the device at 8.98 mm compared to 8.50 mm in the design drawings, but Apple Daily has paired the shell with a front panel that sticks out somewhat from the rear shell and it is unclear if that panel is seated correctly to provide accurate measurements.

iphone_5c_apple_daily_colors.jpg
The report also includes an image of an iPhone 5S rear shell showing the pill-shaped window for the rear camera's dual-LED flash. The shell is blue in color, but appears to have some sort of coating applied to it. Another blue iPhone 5S shell also appeared in photos today, although its authenticity is also very questionable.

Article Link: iPhone 5C Rear Shell Subjected to Scratch Tests, Caliper Measurements

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Sort of reminds me of the coating on the Spigen Slim Armor (although the case scratches extremely easily on the Spigen). There's probably a scratch resistant coating on the 5C. Should have done it with the 5 as well, knowing how easy it is to scratch.

The report also includes an image of an iPhone 5S rear shell showing the pill-shaped window for the rear camera's dual-LED flash. The shell is blue in color, but appears to have some sort of coating applied to it. Another blue iPhone 5S shell also appeared in photos today, although its authenticity is also very questionable.

Gold? Blue? I'm not saying it'll happen, but wouldn't that be crazy if Apple allowed some sort of customization (similar to Moto X)? Just silver and slate in store, but options to custom order a few select aluminum colors (perhaps for a small fee) only at the apple online store. Sort of like how Apple allows(ed??) custom engraving.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
If this thing has better build quality than the 5 and is matte plastic, this could be a big deal for some people.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
I honestly think most people don't mind plastic; it's just the posters who have taken such a hardline "OMG Samesung uses plastic lolllllllllllllllllllll" stance that convincing them that there are benefits, which include reduced cost and increased durability, is virtually impossible.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Gold? Blue? I'm not saying it'll happen, but wouldn't that be crazy if Apple allowed some sort of customization (similar to Moto X)? Just silver and slate in store, but options to custom order a few select aluminum colors (perhaps for a small fee) only at the apple online store. Sort of like how Apple allows(ed??) custom engraving.

Is it really blue or is it just bad lighting? To me, it looks like some other black colored items do in the right light.

----------

I liked that iPhone 5C "Fridge Blue".

Now, that, I like....

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Apple would do well to make the 5S come in some of those 5C colors, rather than just black and white (and champagne).

I don't understand the marketing behind offering the 5C in red, blue, etc. and not the 5S. Do you WANT people to forgo your more expensive device even though they can afford it because they just really want a blue iPhone? Because I can see that happening. Maybe not often, but it'll happen.

Vctr

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
Shouldn't the fact that there is a picture of a blue iPhone 5S call into question the legitimacy of those pictures? I don't understand why you would take these photos and videos seriously and post them. I understand this is a rumor site, but shouldn't there be some sort of filter?

cameljockey

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2012
Shouldn't the fact that there is a picture of a blue iPhone 5S call into question the legitimacy of those pictures? I don't understand why you would take these photos and videos seriously and post them. I understand this is a rumor site, but shouldn't there be some sort of filter?

Blue iPhone 5S?

What are you smoking bro?

----

Black iPhone 5C

iphone-5c-black-2.jpg

iphone-5c-black-1.jpg

iphone-5c-black-3.jpg

Last edited:

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
small percentage of this not worth the extra hassle...

Apple would do well to make the 5S come in some of those 5C colors, rather than just black and white (and champagne).

I don't understand the marketing behind offering the 5C in red, blue, etc. and not the 5S. Do you WANT people to forgo your more expensive device even though they can afford it because they just really want a blue iPhone? Because I can see that happening. Maybe not often, but it'll happen.

Probably not often enough for Apple to justify putting the resources behind doing the entire rainbow spectrum for the iPhone 5S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.