PDA

View Full Version : LTE-A in IOS 7???

bushman4
Aug 21, 2013, 01:51 PM
Anyone find any evidence that the new LTE-A standard is going to be in the new IPhone ????

WhackyNinja
Aug 21, 2013, 03:08 PM
Anyone find any evidence that the new LTE-A standard is going to be in the new IPhone ????

It took years for the iPhone to get 4G (or LTE) god knows how long it will take for it to get LTE-A

Eddy Munn
Aug 21, 2013, 03:09 PM
Personally, albeit without any verification, I feel like it's a no brainer, especially as a selling point for countries that can use it.

C DM
Aug 21, 2013, 03:11 PM
It took years for the iPhone to get 4G (or LTE) god knows how long it will take for it to get LTE-AWell, it took years for the technology (and in particular hardware) to become better and for the carriers to actually offer the service. Similar things would likely apply to LTE Advanced.

TommyA6
Aug 21, 2013, 04:05 PM
LTE-A is still a novelty. It's barely available worldwide (only a handful of countries have it running or only testing it), so I don't see it being a big deal. That being said it is possible they include LTE-A chip in the 5s, just don't be surprised if they don't.

LTE has only been seriously accepted and developed worldwide for a year or so, and LTE-A is not much faster, and therefore doesn't offer a much better experience. (Really, how much faster is 150 Mbps compared100 Mbps - all theoretical of course).

CanesDrew
Aug 21, 2013, 07:13 PM
(Really, how much faster is 150 Mbps compared100 Mbps - all theoretical of course).

Well, really, it's 50mbps faster...

batting1000
Aug 21, 2013, 07:16 PM
If Apple hasn't done NFC yet, I don't think they'll do LTE-A.

JoEw
Aug 21, 2013, 07:17 PM

Well, really, I am lucky to even get 10mb/sec on my LTE:rolleyes:

WhackyNinja
Aug 21, 2013, 07:21 PM
If Apple hasn't done NFC yet, I don't think they'll do LTE-A.

Im gonna be ticked if NFC doesnt come to iPhone 5S. People have been begging for this feature

viperGTS
Aug 21, 2013, 07:24 PM
Im gonna be ticked if NFC doesnt come to iPhone 5S. People have been begging for this feature

Personally I haven't heard even one iPhone user ask for NFC.

batting1000
Aug 21, 2013, 07:26 PM

I can see why, but I don't feel it's widespread / mainstream enough. At least Android devices can take advantage of by being able to customize NFC tags to change settings and whatnot.

WhackyNinja
Aug 21, 2013, 07:26 PM
Personally I haven't heard even one iPhone user ask for NFC.

I have.

rtomyj
Aug 21, 2013, 08:20 PM
I have.

Why use NFC when you can use AirDrop with Bluetooth?

WhackyNinja
Aug 21, 2013, 08:25 PM
Why use NFC when you can use AirDrop with Bluetooth?

NFC can be used for mobile payments something AirDrop cant do.

viperGTS
Aug 21, 2013, 09:09 PM

Passbook can be used for mobile payments.

rtomyj
Aug 21, 2013, 10:00 PM

Passbook has been mentioned. Also Bluetooth can accomplish this as well.

Mr. Wonderful
Aug 21, 2013, 10:23 PM
The bigger feature of LTE-A is it allows seamless transitions between different bands of LTE frequency. You want this if you want reliable Voice over LTE.

Xenc
Aug 22, 2013, 05:36 AM

You should complain to your provider. My iPhone reaches 52mbps on EE in the UK (6.5 megabytes per second!).

I actually turn off my Wi-Fi at home as LTE is much quicker.

TommyA6
Aug 22, 2013, 08:27 AM

Thank you very much for that... :rolleyes:
You know what I meant with that one :cool:

TommyA6
Aug 22, 2013, 08:57 AM

I easily get 60+ mbps (best reception) with my carrier, and around 30-40 with good (not perfect) reception. Even with 1-2 bars I get 10-20 mbps.

You should talk to your carrier or change it completely!

daviddth
Aug 22, 2013, 09:09 AM
Passbook can be used for mobile payments.

Not an most places worldwide it can't. Hell Passbook here is next to useless.

NFC is a technology that has an interesting future as long as it supports existing payment schemes in use throughout the world. Well over 50% of my purchaces use my credit card with a swipeless technology, so having the ability to use my iPhone (with additional security of requiring it unlocked or fingerprint image) to draw on my bank balance, or a fund "stored on my iPhone", would be a great thing here.

As for LTE-A, probably not in this iPhone, but maybe next year I'd say there is a chance then

Dwalls90
Aug 22, 2013, 10:22 AM
Support for it would require updated hardware.

If the new iPhone(s) support it, then their respective builds of iOS 7 will have that support.

daijholt
Aug 22, 2013, 11:57 AM

I don't think NFC has really taken off. In the UK at least, there's a few ads that mention their app using it like the banks, but the majority of shops have yet to incorporate NFC for payments. It's not all that widespread yet, and I'm not sure it ever will be.

Granted some people want it, but the majority of the market don't seem to care. The fact it's still quite insecure also doesn't help. Looks to me like NFC had its chance!

Mabus51
Aug 22, 2013, 12:21 PM
NFC is really just a battery drain at this point. Most retailers in the US and UK aren't using it.

kmichalec
Aug 22, 2013, 12:49 PM
Passbook has been mentioned. Also Bluetooth can accomplish this as well.

With Bluetooth, don't you have to go through the whole "pairing up" process between the devices?

I can't imagine using any payment service where I have to stand there for 1-2 mins waiting for my phone to pair up with the payment device at the cash register, then verify the pin codes match, then complete the pairing, and then can finally send my payment. With NFC, you just swipe and go. Is that even possible with Bluetooth?

apollo1444
Aug 22, 2013, 02:31 PM

NFC is the bluray of mobile tech.

rtomyj
Aug 22, 2013, 09:11 PM
With Bluetooth, don't you have to go through the whole "pairing up" process between the devices?

I can't imagine using any payment service where I have to stand there for 1-2 mins waiting for my phone to pair up with the payment device at the cash register, then verify the pin codes match, then complete the pairing, and then can finally send my payment. With NFC, you just swipe and go. Is that even possible with Bluetooth?
You combine that with wifi derect and select the terminal and that's it. Yes it's slower, but it would be safer seeing as it's between two devices where NFC could get hacked or interfered by another since it's more proximity. Also, no extra hardware is necessary for iPhone 5, iPod 5, mini, and the fourth iPad.

JoEw
Aug 23, 2013, 01:28 AM
I easily get 60+ mbps (best reception) with my carrier, and around 30-40 with good (not perfect) reception. Even with 1-2 bars I get 10-20 mbps.

You should talk to your carrier or change it completely!

ATT, their capacity is overloaded around here. Use to get 60mb/sec when 5 first came out and so did LTE in my area.

C DM
Aug 23, 2013, 05:37 PM
NFC is the bluray of mobile tech.What do you mean by that?

bushman4
Aug 24, 2013, 11:33 AM
ATT, their capacity is overloaded around here. Use to get 60mb/sec when 5 first came out and so did LTE in my area.
AT&T considerably slower 1 year after the initial roll out of LTE. As more people purchase 4G devices today's 4 G will become even slower. Unfortunately none of the large carriers are keeping up
There are some areas that are still seeing great speed however these basically are smaller cities and communities not the large cities Most people would think its just the opposite since the larger cities should have better coverage

JoEw
Aug 24, 2013, 01:44 PM
AT&T considerably slower 1 year after the initial roll out of LTE. As more people purchase 4G devices today's 4 G will become even slower. Unfortunately none of the large carriers are keeping up
There are some areas that are still seeing great speed however these basically are smaller cities and communities not the large cities Most people would think its just the opposite since the larger cities should have better coverage

Agree and it sucks, but i am at a point where lte is plenty fast for my needs. Unless unlimited plans come back in the game so i can stream superhd netflix, anything above 10mb is plenty.

However does kinda suck how every day i get less and less what i pay for ;)

orangebluedevil
Aug 24, 2013, 06:29 PM
Wrt1625L has it. iPhone 5S and maybe C should get that chip. So it should have it. We'll never know until later though.

benji888
Aug 24, 2013, 07:13 PM
this is the first I've heard of LTE-A...I drive through zones that are still only "Edge" network...still need 3G/4G or LTE! (AT&T) ...they really need to update ALL of their cell towers to LTE before doing any more upgrades, that, and fill in the dead zones in rural areas, I shouldn't be able to drive down any road without service in this day and age...it's getting ridiculous. :p

Nermal
Aug 24, 2013, 07:16 PM

Is NFC the same as PayWave (Visa) or is that something else? I got a card with PayWave a few weeks ago and so far I've only seen one place showing PayWave support (and when I waved my card the reader then told me to swipe it, go figure).

Edit: According to this (http://www.visa-asia.com/ap/nz/cardholders/cardsservices/visa_paywave_overview.shtml), PayWave "can include" NFC, whatever that means.

vigilant
Aug 24, 2013, 11:14 PM

The mobile payments thing I don't thing I don't think is really heavily standardized yet.

The things I have seen NFC used for outside of mobile payments seem to be solutions in search of a problem, like Bluetooth pairing, or quick sharing.

I'm not saying it's never going to happen, but outside of geeks throwing it out as a spec that the iPhone doesn't have, and the potential for mobile payments, I haven't seen a mass market use for it yet.

I would think the passive charging things we've seen in Nokia, and HTC phones seem to be more mass market friendly then NFC.

Clovel19
Aug 25, 2013, 11:31 AM
Hello.

I find it sad that people are complaining when they get roughly 4 MB/s. I live in France and I'm dancing with joy when I get 250 KB/s !

So please, start by covering everybody in the US and us "other under-equiped counties" with at least a good 3G+. I live in Europe and I still can't have 3G+.

Seriously.