Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deadeyeshark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
England
I plan on using the Migration Assistant when my new iMac arrives. My current set up includes an iMac with an external 12TB hard drive array.

My question is, when I use the Migration Assistant will it try to move the files from my external hard drive onto the new iMac? I currently hold my entire iTunes library externally, which is probably around 6tb. For this reason I would like to keep my external set up as is, and for the links to move across to the new Mac.

I would guess that it retains the links and keeps the files where they are on the external drive, but would like some clarification.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
My suggestion would be to disconnect the external array when you run migration assistant. And be prepared to fix any links you had after the migration - they shouldn't break, but you never know.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
In addition to the post above, you will find that some apps need to be re-installed also.

Last time I did a MA, I used a direct T/Bolt connection which made the process fast, but Office and a few games required re-installation.

If your Itunes library is NOT backed up to the TM then it won't carry over when you migrate.

Deadeyeshark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
England
Thanks guys.

Unfortunately my source Mac is too old for a Thunderbolt cable, so I think it will be an ethernet between the two machines. My TM is on a USB and think that will be too slow.

Part of my iTunes library is backed up from my external array to an external drive via TM, the rest I've just cloned any drives from the array which are already full.

My concern is breaking my library links, though I believe if this happens once I reattach the Drive array (with the library) iTunes will relocate those files?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
My concern is breaking my library links, though I believe if this happens once I reattach the Drive array (with the library) iTunes will relocate those files?
Before you start the migration, stop iTunes and set it so it doesn't start on login. Then unmount and detach the external drive.

After you have the migration done, connect the external drive to the new system and then start iTunes.

What you said should be correct, but my suggestion is easiest and safest. Also you really dont want any applications running on your old mac while you're migrating data. This makes sure all files are up to date on disk and not in the middle of being modified by an application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.