Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SBacklin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Seattle, WA
Does anyone testing out iOS 7 have/use iCloud email on their device? To those who do, what options does iOS 7 give for marking email messages as junk? Also, is there any notifications with your device with iOS 7 that mail has arrived in the Junk folder?

SBacklin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Seattle, WA
Mail.app lets you move one or several emails to Junk folder.

There's no option to notify you of Junk mail.
Well, I'm glad Apple finally decided to give iOS users a way to mark email as SPAM so the server knows about it. I'm hoping that iOS Junk Filter isn't an independent one of the server like the Junk Filter in OSX Mail.app.

I was hoping that iOS would finally allow notifications of incoming messages in other folders other then the inbox.

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Well, I'm glad Apple finally decided to give iOS users a way to mark email as SPAM so the server knows about it. I'm hoping that iOS Junk Filter isn't an independent one of the server like the Junk Filter in OSX Mail.app.

I was hoping that iOS would finally allow notifications of incoming messages in other folders other then the inbox.

It actually can. You can subscribe to push updates from subfolders on iCloud mail.

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
How exactly do you do that? I've been wanting this option for a while. Thanks.
I can't screen right now (don't have time to remove my corporate stuff from the images).
  1. In Mail.app back out to your top level mailbox view.
  2. Click Edit in the top right
  3. Click "Add Mailbox" at the bottom of the current options (above accounts).
  4. (If you have multiple accounts). Select the account you want the additional mailbox to.
  5. Select the Mailbox you want.
  6. Click Done.

Really? Is this something new that comes with iOS 7?
The ability to do it on your main iCloud account is new. Previously you could add the folders in the account under Settings --> Mail, Contacts & Calendars.

SBacklin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Seattle, WA
That's just to add folders to iCloud. What me and the other poster is talking about is receiving notifications of incoming mail in folders other then the inbox.

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
That's just to add folders to iCloud. What me and the other poster is talking about is receiving notifications of incoming mail in folders other then the inbox.

No, that's not what I was describing. This isn't creating a new folder, it is what is used to list existing folders nested under your inbox in mail.app. In my experience messages filtered to these folders will then hit notification center.

Attachments

• photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    59.6 KB · Views: 123
  • photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    62.9 KB · Views: 119
  • photo 3.PNG
    photo 3.PNG
    35.6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

SBacklin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Seattle, WA
No, that's not what I was describing. This isn't creating a new folder, it is what is used to list existing folders nested under your inbox in mail.app. In my experience messages filtered to these folders will then hit notification center.
Well if you select any current folders, you can either edit the name or delete the folder. Unless there's new options listed there that is new in iOS 7. When selecting any folders listed, what options are listedr? (Assuming you're using iOS 7) **I didn't see the attachments, lemme look**

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Well if you select any current folders, you can either edit the name or delete the folder. Unless there's new options listed there that is new in iOS 7. When selecting any folders listed, what options are listed? (Assuming you're using iOS 7)
I added screens to my last post. In the third and final screen, if I put a check next to "Junk", it would be listed on my main mailbox scren (with unread, personal, attachments, flagged, etc.). Once it's there e-mails are pushed and hit notification center.

SBacklin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Seattle, WA
I added screens to my last post. In the third and final screen, if I put a check next to "Junk", it would be listed on my main mailbox scren (with unread, personal, attachments, flagged, etc.). Once it's there e-mails are pushed and hit notification center.
I went back to take a look. If that's the case, then I'm glad. I've been hounding Apple to get these features. ;)

jtfolden

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Springfield, Ohio
What I would like is if the badge on Mail would get updated when new messages are read on my Mac.

If 3 new emails come in, iOS reports that in the badge. If I sit down and read them on my Mac instead, the badge is never cleared from the phone until I actually open Mail.

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
What I would like is if the badge on Mail would get updated when new messages are read on my Mac.

If 3 new emails come in, iOS reports that in the badge. If I sit down and read them on my Mac instead, the badge is never cleared from the phone until I actually open Mail.

That functionality has been baked in since Mobile Me. Is your account on your phone still set to push?

jtfolden

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Springfield, Ohio
That functionality has been baked in since Mobile Me. Is your account on your phone still set to push?

It's however iCloud set it up by default when I got the iPhone 5 last November...

Push is what it should be, correct? I just verified and it is.

Conversely, if I read/delete the emails on the iPhone then the mac is immediately updated.

SBacklin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Seattle, WA
Apple has already stated in a support article that read statuses aren't pushed to iOS devices if read from your computer. That's been a feature that multiple people want but for some reason it doesn't happen. I'm hoping Apple will update their services to allow it.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ

i have this issue with my icloud emails on my iphone 5, ipad mini and ipod 4. im running ios 7 on both the 5 and mini and emails never sync when checked on one device or another. i need to go into the inbox to make the new messages disappear on the device it wasnt originally checked on. i thought once i checked something on my phone, it would automatically mark it as read on my mini. and ive had icloud set up as my main email for awhile and its always been set on push. i dont have a mac computer, so this issue is plaguing me just across ios devices where i was under the impression it should be working.

SBacklin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Seattle, WA
i have this issue with my icloud emails on my iphone 5, ipad mini and ipod 4. im running ios 7 on both the 5 and mini and emails never sync when checked on one device or another. i need to go into the inbox to make the new messages disappear on the device it wasnt originally checked on. i thought once i checked something on my phone, it would automatically mark it as read on my mini. and ive had icloud set up as my main email for awhile and its always been set on push. i dont have a mac computer, so this issue is plaguing me just across ios devices where i was under the impression it should be working.
Yeah, its very annoying that Apple doesn't upgrade their systems for the read/delete/moved statuses to be synced from Computer to iOS. If you do it from iOS, it syncs fine, just not the other way around.

SBacklin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Seattle, WA
I can't screen right now (don't have time to remove my corporate stuff from the images).
  1. In Mail.app back out to your top level mailbox view.
  2. Click Edit in the top right
  3. Click "Add Mailbox" at the bottom of the current options (above accounts).
  4. (If you have multiple accounts). Select the account you want the additional mailbox to.
  5. Select the Mailbox you want.
  6. Click Done.

The ability to do it on your main iCloud account is new. Previously you could add the folders in the account under Settings --> Mail, Contacts & Calendars.
Does it also update the badge icon counter?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Yeah, its very annoying that Apple doesn't upgrade their systems for the read/delete/moved statuses to be synced from Computer to iOS. If you do it from iOS, it syncs fine, just not the other way around.

what im saying is i do it from ios devices, my iphone 5 and mini, and nothing every syncs. if i check it on my phone, it doesnt update my ipad unless i open the app itself to refresh it.

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Apple has already stated in a support article that read statuses aren't pushed to iOS devices if read from your computer. That's been a feature that multiple people want but for some reason it doesn't happen. I'm hoping Apple will update their services to allow it.

Weird. It works perfectly fine for me, my fiance and my parents. And has for years?

the-prophet

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2013
Does anyone testing out iOS 7 have/use iCloud email on their device? To those who do, what options does iOS 7 give for marking email messages as junk? Also, is there any notifications with your device with iOS 7 that mail has arrived in the Junk folder?
Yes. For the first time, you can actually send messages to the Junk folder.

Don't know what was stopping us before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.