PDA

View Full Version : Real Racing 3 Updated with New Cars and Events

MacRumors
Aug 21, 2013, 04:32 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/21/real-racing-3-updated-with-new-cars-and-events/)

Real Racing 3 received a major update today, adding both new content and performance enhancements to the popular freemium game. Players can now access Dodge and Shelby muscle cars and race in all new events.

The game's difficulty has been slightly tweaked, to allow for faster and more accurate skill adjustments and visual physics enhancements offer up realistic pitch and bodyroll for classic muscle cars.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/08/musclecars.jpg- New cars - Dodge and Shelby add a collection of big V8 muscle cars to Real Racing 3
- New events - compete in multiple challenging Series featuring a field of muscle cars hailing from Detroit
- Difficulty tuning - faster and more accurate skill adjustment for even tighter competition
- Visual physics enhancements - classic muscle cars come to life with realistic pitch and bodyroll
- Improved cameras - enhanced sense of speed and motion yields a more authentic racing experience
- Additional social networking options for enhanced Time Shifted Multiplayer and Cloud Save functionalityReal Racing 3 marked EA's first foray (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/27/controversial-freemium-game-real-racing-3-hits-the-u-s-app-store/) into freemium pricing for a game series that was formerly offered at a set price. The pricing structure proved to be a success, and the game stayed on the top charts for multiple weeks. In July, the company revealed (http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/23/ea-made-more-sales-on-ios-than-any-other-platform-last-quarter/) that Real Racing 3 has been downloaded 45 million times, averaging 2 million daily active users.

EA has since followed up by introducing other high-profile freemium games including Plants vs. Zombies 2 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/14/plants-vs-zombies-2-launching-worldwide-on-august-15/). EA announced yesterday that it would bring the freemium pricing model to its mobile FIFA titles as well.

Real Racing 3 (http://appshopper.com/games/real-racing-3) is a free app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/real-racing-3/id556164008?mt=8)]

Article Link: Real Racing 3 Updated with New Cars and Events (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/21/real-racing-3-updated-with-new-cars-and-events/)

nutmac
Aug 21, 2013, 04:35 PM
How much are the new cars? I stopped playing once I found out I need to spend $80 for a single super car.

macnisse
Aug 21, 2013, 04:39 PM
Coolness!

rmwebs
Aug 21, 2013, 04:50 PM
Meh was fun the first few times I played it but seemingly like all of the iOS racing games has zero replayability. Plus it's full of EA money grabbing crap.

ArtOfWarfare
Aug 21, 2013, 05:04 PM
But what about Tesla?

If a racing game wants to have real cars in it, I'm not interested unless it has cars in it that don't suck (and, to date, I'm unaware of any cars from any company besides Tesla that don't suck.)

barneyevo
Aug 21, 2013, 05:17 PM
I would update the game, if only it were still installed. Developers keep note: People will delete your app/game if you send them 10 push notifications a day, reminding us to use/play your product.

TheUndertow
Aug 21, 2013, 05:17 PM
EA is dead to me due to this milking of the gamer's teat...AND I do buy IAP stuff in certain games - I'm just not cool with it being the standard like EA is making it.

timborama
Aug 21, 2013, 05:30 PM
EA is dead to me due to this milking of the gamer's teat...AND I do buy IAP stuff in certain games - I'm just not cool with it being the standard like EA is making it.

Agreed.

cclloyd
Aug 21, 2013, 05:32 PM
I would update the game, if only it were still installed. Developers keep note: People will delete your app/game if you send them 10 push notifications a day, reminding us to use/play your product.

That's basically what I do. The only freemium game I played that doesn't do this is Clash of Clans. They send me messages pretaining to the gameplay, which I need, but they only send you 2 messages after 3 days and after 8 days of inactivity, then nothing more.

shartypants
Aug 21, 2013, 05:49 PM
That looks cool. I just wish they hadn't gone freemium.

pipa
Aug 21, 2013, 05:51 PM

Settings>notifications>edit>slide real racing to "not in notification center.

PgherinLev
Aug 21, 2013, 06:18 PM
I would much rather play this on my Mac with a Cinema display than on my iPhone.

JCCL
Aug 21, 2013, 06:18 PM
Installed, played it a couple of days, then found out I basically needed to pay and keep paying all the way if I wanted to complete it. Deleted and have never even thought of playing it again

Mactendo
Aug 21, 2013, 07:10 PM
They'd better add new race tracks. It's more important than new cars on the same (boring after some point) tracks.

Paradoxally
Aug 21, 2013, 07:59 PM
It's frowned upon, but when games are these are just aiming to get big money from customers, I just pirate the IAP. No way am I giving EA money for gold or in-game cash for an iOS app. I already buy their PC games.

alent1234
Aug 21, 2013, 08:09 PM
It's frowned upon, but when games are these are just aiming to get big money from customers, I just pirate the IAP. No way am I giving EA money for gold or in-game cash for an iOS app. I already buy their PC games.

you must lead a very eventful life that you have to go so far just to get far ahead in a video game

Paradoxally
Aug 21, 2013, 08:17 PM
you must lead a very eventful life that you have to go so far just to get far ahead in a video game

Wow, like you've never pirated anything. Spare me the moral lesson, unless you love spending $80 for a car - in that case, I'd be willing to accept your generous "donation" so I can progress in a video game in my so "very eventful life". :rolleyes:

Mazda 3s
Aug 21, 2013, 08:20 PM
Still doesn't fix the cheating AI -- they will ram into you and not lose speed, or ram you off the road. And if you dare touch them while moving, you lose 30 mph and they go full speed ahead. And those stupid f**kers will brake on purpose in the middle of a corner even if they can get through full speed just to block you. It's infuriating!!

With that said, I still like the game. For those that complain about paying, I've made it to "Performance Rumble" without paying a dime.

Speedy Dingo
Aug 22, 2013, 12:30 AM
It hurts me to say it but I found a non jail-brake hack for the game when it came out, in retaliation to EAs greediness. Oh look, you bought a new car - that'll be 10 coins to deliver now. What a load of BS! So now I have 100,000 gold coins and all original $80 super cars unlocked. I paid $10 for RR2 back in the day and was happy to do so again for RR3...

sk8mash
Aug 22, 2013, 03:45 AM
It hurts me to say it but I found a non jail-brake hack for the game when it came out, in retaliation to EAs greediness. Oh look, you bought a new car - that'll be 10 coins to deliver now. What a load of BS! So now I have 100,000 gold coins and all original $80 super cars unlocked. I paid $10 for RR2 back in the day and was happy to do so again for RR3...

Just change the time on your phone ;)

danielowenuk
Aug 22, 2013, 03:54 AM
Flipside...

Myself and my little boy (7) love RR3, have never paid a penny for it or any IAP and I won't either. I wouldn't have dropped $10 on the game had it been a paid for app.

Well done EA for providing something free to us casual gamers :)

Kissaragi
Aug 22, 2013, 07:09 AM
I never liked the feel of real racing, hard to put it into words why but I just never enjoyed playing it.

Tha Professor
Aug 22, 2013, 08:42 AM
what happened to the good old beating the game track by track? I have gotten some nastily fast cars in this game without spending a penny.. The balance in this game between free and premium is very good in my opinion and it doesn't cripple the game like some other titles manage to do...

But If you NEED to race with that Veyron straight away, then you should probably pay up, just as you do in real life...

Anyways, seems like Detroit has found a way out of the red by selling itself via videogames.. Can't wait for the official 8Mile game...

Jimmy James
Aug 22, 2013, 08:55 AM
RR2 online multiplayer. That's all I want to play.

alent1234
Aug 22, 2013, 09:16 AM
Wow, like you've never pirated anything. Spare me the moral lesson, unless you love spending $80 for a car - in that case, I'd be willing to accept your generous "donation" so I can progress in a video game in my so "very eventful life". :rolleyes:

i've raced a few dozen races and earned $80,000 or so to buy a new car. haven't played it for a while

spending real money or pirating the game is not that big of a priority to get ahead in the game. lots of other games out there i don't have time to play yet

Nightarchaon
Aug 22, 2013, 10:13 AM
Update it so it costs $9.99 and has no microtransactions or enforced wait timers and ill buy and play it, until then, pft.

----------

That looks cool. I just wish they hadn't gone freemium.

Can we stop using Freemium to describe this game, Freemium to me is a game where you can play for free maybe buy extras for, or buy-in to upgrade to a full package later, with no further purchases needed.

RR3 is more "Pick the player up by the ankles and shake until money stops falling out"-ium

TheMacBookPro
Aug 22, 2013, 12:12 PM
But what about Tesla?

If a racing game wants to have real cars in it, I'm not interested unless it has cars in it that don't suck (and, to date, I'm unaware of any cars from any company besides Tesla that don't suck.)

I hope you're just making a (quite poor) joke, but in the unlikely event that you're not, what would you define as a 'real car'?

egoistaxx9
Aug 22, 2013, 01:17 PM
i still dont believe this game is free, i spend at least 2hrs on this game daily, it's really fantastic, and who ever is reading this and hasn't tried out the game yet SHOULD check it out.

PNutts
Aug 22, 2013, 02:13 PM
Installed it and played for a few days, then uninstalled. I'm not looking to immerse myself into an ecosystem, especially one that is designed to endlessly generate revenue. I buy apps, I make in-app purchases, but I don't do subscriptions which is what I consider RR3 to be. Love RR2 and still play it alone and with my kids. I just want to race and then put it down. I signed into the Game Center for awhile but I'm not looking for a social experience with strangers.

ArtOfWarfare
Aug 22, 2013, 03:16 PM
I hope you're just making a (quite poor) joke, but in the unlikely event that you're not, what would you define as a 'real car'?

Any car that exists in the real world. I'll allow cars that no longer exist but have existed in the past (IE, the model T,) to also fall into this category.

The cars that are in fantasy racing games, such as Mario Kart, Wipeout, or F-Zero, or the Flintstones, do not qualify as real cars.

The Tesla Model S and X are definitely real cars, and I'd really want them in the game. Many other (dare I say, "most" or "all"?) cars are also real cars. I own a 2004 Buick LaSaber, which is a real car (note that it exists in the real world) but I wouldn't actually want to drive it in the game (except to maybe laugh at. Might be silly to record a video of it and show my friends.)

SkippyThorson
Aug 22, 2013, 06:18 PM
[...](and, to date, I'm unaware of any cars from any company besides Tesla that don't suck.)

So I assume you, and everyone you know, owns a Model S? :rolleyes:

That was the most absurd comment I have read in a very long time.

ArtOfWarfare
Aug 22, 2013, 07:16 PM
So I assume you, and everyone you know, owns a Model S? :rolleyes:

That was the most absurd comment I have read in a very long time.

No, nobody I know owns one. Everyone I know wishes they owned one. Feel free to come up with a single car that doesn't suck that isn't a Tesla.

TheMacBookPro
Aug 23, 2013, 07:10 AM
Any car that exists in the real world. I'll allow cars that no longer exist but have existed in the past (IE, the model T,) to also fall into this category.

The cars that are in fantasy racing games, such as Mario Kart, Wipeout, or F-Zero, or the Flintstones, do not qualify as real cars.

The Tesla Model S and X are definitely real cars, and I'd really want them in the game. Many other (dare I say, "most" or "all"?) cars are also real cars. I own a 2004 Buick LaSaber, which is a real car (note that it exists in the real world) but I wouldn't actually want to drive it in the game (except to maybe laugh at. Might be silly to record a video of it and show my friends.)

So Lamborghinis, Porsches etc aren't real cars that don't suck?

No, nobody I know owns one. Everyone I know wishes they owned one. Feel free to come up with a single car that doesn't suck that isn't a Tesla.

I'll enter my personal Porsche Panamera 4S into the 'car that doesn't suck that isn't a Tesla' category.

Test drove a Model S P85 a few months ago- lots of fun toys, quick acceleration, decent handling (thanks to the low-down weight- steering feel was nothing exciting though) but interior quality was lacking and it simply didn't make me want one. I'd rather order a new Turbo to replace my current car than have a Model S, as technologically advanced as it is.

As a commuter car I'm sure it's fantastic but it isn't as fun to drive as many other cars I've had the pleasure of owning.

ArtOfWarfare
Aug 23, 2013, 09:16 AM
So Lamborghinis, Porsches etc aren't real cars that don't suck?

I'll enter my personal Porsche Panamera 4S into the 'car that doesn't suck that isn't a Tesla' category.

Test drove a Model S P85 a few months ago- lots of fun toys, quick acceleration, decent handling (thanks to the low-down weight- steering feel was nothing exciting though) but interior quality was lacking and it simply didn't make me want one. I'd rather order a new Turbo to replace my current car than have a Model S, as technologically advanced as it is.

As a commuter car I'm sure it's fantastic but it isn't as fun to drive as many other cars I've had the pleasure of owning.

But how long will your Porsche last? That's the big issue I have with most cars - they have to go in for major repairs that take a few days every few years. I know most people with a lot of disposable income use it as an excuse to buy a new car every 2-3 years. That sounds like a PC to me.

I vastly prefer Macs (and Teslas) where they continue to just work year after year. Your battery pack is swapped out for you occasionally when you visit a turbo charge station (like a gas station) meaning without you noticing or saying anything, one of the two components that probably fail most frequently on a Tesla you'll probably never notice. My understanding is you don't need to take it in for anything like an oil change ever (whereas I have to take my gasoline based cars in about once every six weeks because of how much I drive every day.)

It seems to me - I haven't done research on this component of a Tesla - but it seems to me that the thing that will fail most often will probably be the tires. I think I'll be okay if the tires are the only part of my car that ever needs repair.

But please, go on about how you like your current car so much that you'll buy another. Realize that in doing so, you're telling me it will fail, like a PC. Macs don't fail (well, the HDD will probably rot... SSD Macs won't fail) and neither should my car. I'll upgrade to a newer model when the newer model has enough new features I want, not because my current model has broken down.

blitzer09x87
Aug 23, 2013, 09:38 AM
i love it! awesome game, the best app i've ever played on a smartphone. the app should be awarded the best app of the year award.

TheMacBookPro
Aug 23, 2013, 10:55 PM
But how long will your Porsche last? That's the big issue I have with most cars - they have to go in for major repairs that take a few days every few years. I know most people with a lot of disposable income use it as an excuse to buy a new car every 2-3 years. That sounds like a PC to me.

I vastly prefer Macs (and Teslas) where they continue to just work year after year. Your battery pack is swapped out for you occasionally when you visit a turbo charge station (like a gas station) meaning without you noticing or saying anything, one of the two components that probably fail most frequently on a Tesla you'll probably never notice. My understanding is you don't need to take it in for anything like an oil change ever (whereas I have to take my gasoline based cars in about once every six weeks because of how much I drive every day.)

It seems to me - I haven't done research on this component of a Tesla - but it seems to me that the thing that will fail most often will probably be the tires. I think I'll be okay if the tires are the only part of my car that ever needs repair.

But please, go on about how you like your current car so much that you'll buy another. Realize that in doing so, you're telling me it will fail, like a PC. Macs don't fail (well, the HDD will probably rot... SSD Macs won't fail) and neither should my car. I'll upgrade to a newer model when the newer model has enough new features I want, not because my current model has broken down.

It'll last as long as I keep it. If I wanted to keep it for 10 years, it'll probably run as well as my friend's DD does (a 996 C4S he bought brand new in 2002). I trade in my cars when I get bored of them (remind you of the bolded part of your post?)- not because there's some massive repair I want to avoid. People buy new things when they want a new toy to play with, not necessarily because there's something wrong with their old one.

For example, I had my M5 in Hong Kong since 08 and just traded it in on a new AMG. Nothing out of the ordinary that had to be repaired, and I don't expect my new car to have any major issues either.

If you think the Tesla's unbelievably complex electronics won't ever have issues then you think too much of it. It's no different from any other modern car in that area.

Mac-and-PC- that's been hashed out over and over again. Silly to say how one would work year after year and the other wouldn't, esp when they run on roughly the same components. Not an apt comparison to ICE-vs-EV.

A battery pack swap will cost between $60 and $80, about the same as filling up a 15-gallon gas tank, Musk said. Drivers who choose to swap must reclaim their original battery on their return trip or pay the difference in cost for the new pack.

The 90sec battery swap is a temporary solution for long road trips. Expect to pay thousands if you want to keep the 'new' battery. [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/21/tesla-battery-swap-90-seconds_n_3476383.html]

The Model S requires yearly maintenance like many ICE vehicles. If you're wearing out modern synthetic oil in a matter of weeks, then you clearly drive a lot- is an electric car really the solution? I don't see the Supercharger network expanding enough in the near future to cover any routes outside the usual NY-to-LA etc.

Teslas have been out for what, 4 years? The Model S, a year or two? That's not enough time to determine reliability over the long-term, certainly not enough time for one to guarantee it'll work 'year after year'.

Solomani
Aug 23, 2013, 11:25 PM
I would much rather play this on my Mac with a Cinema display than on my iPhone.

Yes, the Mac version of Real Racing 2 is a beautiful gem. I wish they'd bring RR3 to OSX soon, as was originally planned.

ArtOfWarfare
Aug 23, 2013, 11:38 PM
Teslas have been out for what, 4 years? The Model S, a year or two? That's not enough time to determine reliability over the long-term, certainly not enough time for one to guarantee it'll work 'year after year'.

The Roadster has been out for a good deal longer and is what I base my claims of durability off of.

I don't currently have the money to spend on a nice car though (still in school, and working to keep my debt down as best I can.)

Mike MA
Aug 24, 2013, 06:33 AM
Loved Real Racing 2 and was looking forward to play part three, even on a higher price level. But as many people stated before I'm not supporting this Freemium crap.

It would be interesting to see the overall revenue figure comparing part two and three - not the download figures. But I fear the successor might have been a winner.

StephenCampbell
Aug 27, 2013, 02:26 AM
What is the real money cost of this game if you want to be able to play through it like a normal game, the way you could in RR2?

I've spent $100.60 so far, and I've completed the Amateur section plus 16% of Performance Rumble. I own 14 fully upgraded cars, plus the '66 Cobra 427 with 14/33 upgrades installed. The third level of upgrades for the Cobra are around $100,000 each... :eek: I can only imagine what the fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth levels of the Engine upgrade cost, let alone the rest of it. I'm guessing this car alone will cost me R$5,000,000 and 400 or 500 gold to finish upgrading.

I currently have R$219,528 and 22 gold.

alent1234
Aug 28, 2013, 01:27 PM
What is the real money cost of this game if you want to be able to play through it like a normal game, the way you could in RR2?

I've spent $100.60 so far, and I've completed the Amateur section plus 16% of Performance Rumble. I own 14 fully upgraded cars, plus the '66 Cobra 427 with 14/33 upgrades installed. The third level of upgrades for the Cobra are around $100,000 each... :eek: I can only imagine what the fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth levels of the Engine upgrade cost, let alone the rest of it. I'm guessing this car alone will cost me R$5,000,000 and 400 or 500 gold to finish upgrading.

I currently have R$219,528 and 22 gold.

you spent $100 for a mobile game?

i haven't played for a while, but i made over $100,000 of game money for a bunch of upgrades and a second car. it wasn't that hard to get first or second place in most of the races in the first league that you race in

CausticPuppy
Aug 28, 2013, 03:39 PM

"The app 'blah blah' would like to send you push notifications." Does anybody actually answer Yes to this question the first time the app is run?

I have notifications disabled for everything except for a few key apps.

StephenCampbell
Aug 30, 2013, 02:55 AM
you spent $100 for a mobile game?

i haven't played for a while, but i made over $100,000 of game money for a bunch of upgrades and a second car. it wasn't that hard to get first or second place in most of the races in the first league that you race in

I got several cars before I spent any real money. It just got to the point where I thought "it's not like it's actually a significant amount of money, why not pay some more and move along fast through the game." But it seems like it might be over $1000 before I'm actually through the whole game...

StephenCampbell
Aug 31, 2013, 03:34 AM
Well I just bought the Platinum Card and the Truckload of Gold ($99.99 each, R$5,000,000 and 1,000 gold).

I figured since I keep buying in bits and pieces and will eventually spend $200 probably, I should get the better value by buying bulk.

If anyone is curious how far through the game R$5,000,000 and 1,000 gold gets you, stay tuned.

Just FYI, I never use gold to shorten wait times. That's a major waste. And I calculate the costs of car upgrades to see which is a better value between the R$ or the gold. Most of the time the R$ is the better value because it comes with the wait time so you save money by being willing to wait. I find the wait times essential because it gives me an enforced break time, haha.

Klosefabrinio
Aug 31, 2013, 10:50 AM
the thing why i got this game instead of the asphalt 8 is because you can download it for free (only in-game purchases) but the asphalt charges you upfront and then tempts you for in-app purchases.