PDA

View Full Version : iBook/transfer help

corinnew
Nov 19, 2005, 11:39 PM
I've recently received an iBook and have transferred my files/folders from my G4 desktop (via firewire). HOWEVER; I am having a problem because I have no 'access priveleges' on the library, etc I've transferred. The whole thing stems from wanting to check my email on the laptop and not being able to set it up.

SO, I need help understanding this whole situation.

Anyone?:confused:

mad jew
Nov 20, 2005, 12:07 AM
Nice signature. :D

How exactly did you transfer the files? Did you do it manually or use an app like Migration Assistant? Which Library is locked? If you Get Info (File menu)on the folders with bad permissions, does it say you can read and write to them? Have you repaired permissions recently (with Disk Utility)? Was it that same version of OSX on both machines?

Sorry for all the questions but hopefully we'll get this sorted soon. :)

corinnew
Nov 20, 2005, 12:37 AM
Nice signature. :D

How exactly did you transfer the files? Did you do it manually or use an app like Migration Assistant?
YES-I USED MIGRATION.

Which Library is locked?
MY HD > USERS > LIBRARY WHICH I TRANSFERRED

If you Get Info (File menu)on the folders with bad permissions, does it say you can read and write to them?
"NO ACCESS"

Have you repaired permissions recently (with Disk Utility)?
NO--I JUST GO THIS LAPTOP THIS PAST WEEK AND DID THE TRANSFER JUST TONIGHT.

Was it that same version of OSX on both machines?
NO-TIGER ON THIS ONE AND PANTHER ON THE DESKTOP.

Sorry for all the questions but hopefully we'll get this sorted soon. :)
THANKS FOR AT LEAST TRYING!!!
:)

corinnew
Nov 20, 2005, 12:42 AM
oh-well i guess you'll be able to explain the whole email thing? Like why I can't get any?
Also-why didn't my iTunes transfer?

THANK YOU!!!!!

corinnew
Nov 20, 2005, 01:59 PM
I think I have more information on my problem.

I see that I have 2 different homes and one is in my 'administrative' account. I'm at a loss. How do I combine them into the same acct. How come my quick time isn't working suddenly.:confused:

mad jew
Nov 20, 2005, 11:19 PM
Okay, well I think the easiest option would be to do an archive and install using the OSX disks. From there, manually pull your files across. I know it'll be a bit of work but I think the Migration Assistant really messed up here (not sure why) and a fresh start will get things working properly again. :)

poolin1243
Nov 21, 2005, 01:01 AM
wouldnt target disk mode work here as well????

or is that what u were talking about...

corinnew
Nov 21, 2005, 11:55 AM
ok.

Well, if I do an 'archive', will it also archive the messed up stuff? I don't have anything I need to save since I haven't done any work on that HD yet.
Then when I re-set up, will dragging over the plist stuff get my mail going?

Thx!

mad jew
Nov 21, 2005, 10:59 PM
An archive and install will keep all your messed up settings as files but it will not use them. They'll just be stored in a place named Previous System Folder (or something like that). As for your mail, which client do you use (Mail?) and what sort of account(s) do you have (IMAP, POP3...)? The preference files do not keep your mail. It is kept elsewhere but that place depends on what client and type of account you have. :)

corinnew
Nov 26, 2005, 04:49 PM
With your help and Apple's, I'm back up and running! :)

I found out how to EXACTLY how to get my preferences, etc. switched over.

Thank you so much for your help!!!;)

mad jew
Nov 26, 2005, 04:55 PM
Excellent. I'm glad it's all working now. :)