Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadAce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Is there any disadvantage to keeping the MacBook Air plugged in for long times (6-7 hours or more)?
Or is it necessary to let the battery drain after some time?

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Is there any disadvantage to keeping the MacBook Air plugged in for long times (6-7 hours or more)?

I think I remember reading from Mac customer service that they recommended unplugging it after 2-3 days to keep things moving inside the battery..6-7 hours shouldn't hurt a thing.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

I agree with this. After 2 years, my mid-2011 macbook air only has 200 cycles. I sold it already last weekend but I thought that was pretty impressive. I hardly use the battery and do long hours of coding so I plug it in. But I plug it off when not in used.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB

6-7 hours won't create any problems. Remember, the MacBook draws power from the charger, it's not the charger forcing current into the MacBook. Once it's charged the MacBook stops drawing current. No harm done.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
After being in your position initially op, I got the best response from a cool poster here -

Use it however it is convenient for you. Don't force yourself to charge it, and don't force yourself to unplug it. Don't keep a strained eye on the cycle count.

You've paid good money for one of the finest laptops ever built, use it as you desire. (even to cut an apple!)

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I just sold my 2011 MBA a few weeks ago. It spent most of its life on my desk. plugged into the power adapter and an external screen. It still got excellent battery life - I was able to get through a 12 hour work day when travelling by just using some common sense power management.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
What GGJStudios said.

Really just use it as needed. 6-7 hours is perfectly fine, 6-7 weeks would hurt the battery a bit. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.