PDA

View Full Version : Just bought ATV3, no Hulu or Netflix...or anything

Turboboost910
Aug 22, 2013, 05:40 AM
My home screen has 4 icons. "Computer" "Settings" "Qello" and "Crunchyroll."

I thought it would be packed with more?? I want Hulu or Netflix more than anything, but thought it should all be preloaded. What i'm reading on the forums is to "reset" it and it should all be there, but its brand new, and i reset it twice.

Heres the kicker. I'm stationed in Korea, and bought this from a US military store (AAFES) which sells legitimate stuff, but this shouldn't affect what is preloaded as these are US units. Is there something blocking the apps from being seen because i'm using a Korean IP address? I would assume the apps would still be loaded, just cant access them unless you use a VPN...

Macman45
Aug 22, 2013, 05:51 AM
The features are missing because the ATV is set by default to the country it's being used in.

If you set your location to USA, then the missing content should appear .

waw74
Aug 22, 2013, 07:34 AM
most of the icons are network based, if i restart my aTV with no network access, the home screen is pretty empty.

Latt
Aug 22, 2013, 07:56 AM
Pretty sure it wont matter what country you set your ATV to be in, in the settings menu. The icons are solely based on your location according to your IP and dns.

Use unblock-us to fool your device into thinking you're in the US and you'll notice your missing icons will appear right away.

Some content in apps are also based on where your ATV think it is in the world. Netflix for instance, will load US content if you're in the US (or unblock-us makes it think you are), but it will load Danish content if you're in Denmark and not using unblock-us (or similar).

Toubro
Aug 23, 2013, 01:14 AM
Pretty sure it wont matter what country you set your ATV to be in, in the settings menu. The icons are solely based on your location according to your IP and dns.

Use unblock-us to fool your device into thinking you're in the US and you'll notice your missing icons will appear right away.

Some content in apps are also based on where your ATV think it is in the world. Netflix for instance, will load US content if you're in the US (or unblock-us makes it think you are), but it will load Danish content if you're in Denmark and not using unblock-us (or similar).

The apps depend on the nationality of the Apple ID used, and the regional settings. It doesn't care about IP/DNS. This is very clear if you have different IDs. I have an american, english and danish Apple ID, and my ATVs are hooked up to the american for the most content and cheapest prices.

It's true that Netflix uses the IP to determine your country and offers you the local content, no matter what country you signed up your account in.

How all the sports apps etc. work, I don't know, I never use them and have removed them from the home screen.