PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 (iSight) high-pitched whine

martinlk
Nov 20, 2005, 07:07 AM
Hi everybody

I just bought the 20" iMac G5 with a built-in iSight. The first one i got made a faint high-pitched whine when turned off. At first this wasn't a concern to me because there was a bigger problem with the machine. When I put it to sleep (standby) it would emit a quite loud whine. It was similar to the noise emitted when turned off, just a lot louder. Really annoying!

So I went back to the store and got it replaced. I was thrilled after realizing that my new iMac did not make the loud whine when in standby. After turning the machine off I noticed that the new machine did however also make a faint high-pitched whine when turned off. This whine is only noticeably when in a quiet room. If I put my ear up against the left side of the machine it's even more noticable. I suspect that it's the PSU that's making the noise.

So here's where I want some help from you fellow iMac (with iSight) owners out there. Turn your machine off and tell me if your machine emits the same noise as mine. None of my previous PCs have had this problem, so it's very annoying to me. I want my new iMac to be the best that it can be.

martinlk
Nov 21, 2005, 03:55 AM
If you have one of the new iMacs please help me out by listening for a similar whine (it's very faint) on your machine. I need to know if I should get my machine replaced. I'm very frustrated at this moment.