Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a 2012 MacBook Air 11 Inch and when i sit with it on my lap depending on how i sit it will go to sleep and the when i move it will wake up again, is there some kind of sensor on the bottom of the air that makes it think the lid is closed or something, it gets a bit annoying at times?

Cheers
Jake

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Hi,
I have a 2012 MacBook Air 11 Inch and when i sit with it on my lap depending on how i sit it will go to sleep and the when i move it will wake up again, is there some kind of sensor on the bottom of the air that makes it think the lid is closed or something, it gets a bit annoying at times?

Cheers
Jake

i am more and more convinced that ML doesn't play nice with SSDs...
you mean it just randomly goes to sleep while you're using it, right? it's not an energy saver issue?

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
yeah exactly! when i then move it to a different place it wakes up again!

it's enough to drive you bonkers, isn't it?

i'm in law school and my computer went to sleep WHILE the prof was asking me a question the other day. Law school professors like to randomly call on people and ask questions about god knows what... i was trying to look at my case outline because i actually knew the answer and when i turned the computer it went right to sleep...and then i had to hit buttons frantically to wake it back up and type in my password to get back in. i'm sure it looked like i was just BS'ing as opposed to merely trying to look over and get the case name.

i was so pissed.
it also d/c's the wifi and i have to log back into the school wifi.

i was convinced before that it had something to do with the sudden acceleration detection settings...but obviously that's not the case with the airs so i have to assume it's something to do with the way lion and the drive are playing with each other.

i've tried contacting the "geniuses" about it and they pretend like i'm the only person it happens to but i'm pretty sure that's not the case...

bottom line it's just an annoyance and i'm not really looking to raise hell about it.

now if it keeps happening with Mav then i'll start rumbling but for now i'm just gritting my teeth and dealing with it.

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
it's enough to drive you bonkers, isn't it?

i'm in law school and my computer went to sleep WHILE the prof was asking me a question the other day. Law school professors like to randomly call on people and ask questions about god knows what... i was trying to look at my case outline because i actually knew the answer and when i turned the computer it went right to sleep...and then i had to hit buttons frantically to wake it back up and type in my password to get back in. i'm sure it looked like i was just BS'ing as opposed to merely trying to look over and get the case name.

i was so pissed.
it also d/c's the wifi and i have to log back into the school wifi.

i was convinced before that it had something to do with the sudden acceleration detection settings...but obviously that's not the case with the airs so i have to assume it's something to do with the way lion and the drive are playing with each other.

i've tried contacting the "geniuses" about it and they pretend like i'm the only person it happens to but i'm pretty sure that's not the case...

bottom line it's just an annoyance and i'm not really looking to raise hell about it.

now if it keeps happening with Mav then i'll start rumbling but for now i'm just gritting my teeth and dealing with it.

Yeah totally! That must be annoying when your working! I would have thought were the only two people having this problem, lets hope it get fixed in mavericks!

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Yeah totally! That must be annoying when your working! I would have thought were the only two people having this problem, lets hope it get fixed in mavericks!

there's a poll that was floating around for a few weeks not that long ago where people were having this problem. it's not just us

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
This poster claims this fixed his issue...

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17759740/

thanks for posting. although according to pmset the time on this feature should be 10 minutes. it doesn't make sense that it is turning itself on WHILE using the computer...definitely a bug- hopefully something they fix soon.

i will make sure these features off and see how it goes.

out of curiosity, why would this feature be needed at all with solid state drives?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.