PDA

View Full Version : imac to ibook

istonedu321
Nov 20, 2005, 08:29 AM
I have a 20 inch g4 imac. does this come stock with a airport card and if so could i put it in my ibook?sorry if this is a stupid question but i have no idea.

simonsezhello
Nov 20, 2005, 08:46 AM
I have a 20 inch g4 imac. does this come stock with a airport card and if so could i put it in my ibook?sorry if this is a stupid question but i have no idea.

if your iMac came with wireless built in, i dont think it is the same card as the ibook. Even if it was, it would only be airport 802.11b, which is much slower than airport extreme. better off paying the 40 for an airport extreme card.

johnnyjibbs
Nov 20, 2005, 08:56 AM
The 20" iMac G4 was new in late 2003 and was Airport Extreme compatible (802.11b/g). This means it accepts the current Airport Extreme card but I don't think it contained it as standard, unless it was the more expensive configuration. You can check if you have Airport Extreme already by opening the System Profiler application: go to Apple menu -> About this Mac and then click on More Info. It will tell you there.

This machine is NOT compatible with the original Airport card, which is no longer available from Apple anyway and is only 802.11b.

iBook G4s are compatible Airport Extreme cards (same as this iMac) but iBook G3s are not (old Airport).

istonedu321
Nov 20, 2005, 09:02 AM
The 20" iMac G4 was new in late 2003 and was Airport Extreme compatible (802.11b/g). This means it accepts the current Airport Extreme card but I don't think it contained it as standard, unless it was the more expensive configuration. You can check if you have Airport Extreme already by opening the System Profiler application: go to Apple menu -> About this Mac and then click on More Info. It will tell you there.

This machine is NOT compatible with the original Airport card, which is no longer available from Apple anyway and is only 802.11b.

iBook G4s are compatible Airport Extreme cards (same as this iMac) but iBook G3s are not (old Airport).

ok so then i need to buy a card and a base station for my ibook. is there any alternative to the airport or is that best way to go for a mac.

varmit
Nov 20, 2005, 09:11 AM
ok so then i need to buy a card and a base station for my ibook. is there any alternative to the airport or is that best way to go for a mac.
The Linksys WRT54G is the best base station out there as an alternative to Apple's airport in my mind. But anything that does 802.11b/g will work. As for cards that go in the laptops, stick to what Apple wireless cards.

istonedu321
Nov 20, 2005, 09:29 AM
is the linksys cheaper than an airport express. cause the airport express is 200 new.

varmit
Nov 20, 2005, 03:34 PM
is the linksys cheaper than an airport express. cause the airport express is 200 new.
Yes, its usually about $70.

istonedu321
Nov 20, 2005, 03:47 PM
i was looking on ebay and saw a linksys with the usb hook up but it also came with a linksys card. would this fit in my mac?

SummerBreeze
Nov 20, 2005, 04:59 PM
i was looking on ebay and saw a linksys with the usb hook up but it also came with a linksys card. would this fit in my mac?

The card that comes with it will cater to Windows laptop users, and would most likely not fit well. Best thing to do is to buy the card and base station separately.

poolin1243
Nov 21, 2005, 01:04 AM
just stick with apple products...its more streamlined for you...especially in encryption and configs!