PDA

View Full Version : Apps have begun updating to iOS 7?

Am3r1ca16
Aug 22, 2013, 01:06 PM
The craigslist app that I use got updated yesterday and it looks nice. Pretty simplistic like iOS 7 and blends in.

Do you think this is how many apps will be updated to once iOS 7 is released?

Do you like it?

GoCubsGo
Aug 22, 2013, 01:08 PM
Yes I do and yes I like it.

mrapplegate
Aug 22, 2013, 01:44 PM
Many apps will start to make cosmetic changes, but no developer is allowed to submit an app yet using any iOS7 code.
I can't wait to see what developers will do. It's an exciting behind the scenes release.

cwosigns
Aug 22, 2013, 01:56 PM
The Find iPhone app was apparently updated, but isn't compatible with iOS 6. I'm sure it will be corrected, but I was able to download the app from the App Store before it's pulled. It replaced the version I had installed via Xcode, and is much more stable and has a flatter UI design.

mrapplegate
Aug 22, 2013, 02:04 PM
The Find iPhone app was apparently updated, but isn't compatible with iOS 6. I'm sure it will be corrected, but I was able to download the app from the App Store before it's pulled. It replaced the version I had installed via Xcode, and is much more stable and has a flatter UI design.

So it works better than the version that is on the developer site? Which is the same version 2.0.3.

----------

Looks like they fixed it:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2047246/find-my-iphone-bug-requires-developer-accounts-and-ios-7-beta.html#tk.twt_lexfri

cwosigns
Aug 22, 2013, 02:05 PM
So it works better than the version that is on the developer site? Which is the same version 2.0.3.

Correct. The icon is different and the performance is better. On the one installed from Xcode, the app would hang when I would open it. Then it would crash. Then I would open it again and it would work. This app I downloaded from the App Store works first time every time (in my limited tests).

mrapplegate
Aug 22, 2013, 02:06 PM
Correct. The icon is different and the performance is better. On the one installed from Xcode, the app would hang when I would open it. Then it would crash. Then I would open it again and it would work. This app I downloaded from the App Store works first time every time (in my limited tests).

Interesting. I never had a problem with it on iOS7. They apparently fixed it, but the version is still the same, 2.0.3, so it should be the same.

mainer4101
Aug 22, 2013, 02:15 PM
I noticed an iOS 7 feel to the YouTube app update too.

coldjeanzzz
Aug 22, 2013, 02:22 PM
I noticed an iOS 7 feel to the YouTube app update too.

There is nothing iOS 7 about it, it's a google app that follows googles design schemes

cwosigns
Aug 22, 2013, 02:30 PM
There is nothing iOS 7 about it, it's a google app that follows googles design schemes

I disagree. iOS 7 has a unique design language, and I think the new app icon is reflective of the direction that Apple took iOS 7.

Cougarcat
Aug 22, 2013, 02:32 PM
I disagree. iOS 7 has a unique design language, and I think the new app icon is reflective of the direction that Apple took iOS 7.

It's just a coincidence, Google has been working on their design language for quite a while. They weren't influenced by iOS 7's design with the new icon, if that's what you're thinking.

cwosigns
Aug 22, 2013, 02:41 PM
It's just a coincidence, Google has been working on their design language for quite a while. They weren't influenced by iOS 7's design with the new icon, if that's what you're thinking.

Source?

Parise
Aug 22, 2013, 02:44 PM
Source?

Design Principles (http://developer.android.com/design/get-started/principles.html)

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 02:45 PM
I disagree. iOS 7 has a unique design language, and I think the new app icon is reflective of the direction that Apple took iOS 7.The design of Google's other apps and their icons has been in place for some time now (even before iOS 7), even though it just happens to be a flat/simple design that is analogous to iOS 7's design, and YouTube has more or less just got aligned with it with the latest update.

Cougarcat
Aug 22, 2013, 02:47 PM
Source?

http://theverge.com/2013/1/24/3904134/google-redesign-how-larry-page-engineered-beautiful-revolution

cwosigns
Aug 22, 2013, 02:49 PM
Design Principles (http://developer.android.com/design/get-started/principles.html)

That's not exactly a source. There's no date to show that their design philosophy predates iOS 7. And my YouTube app on my Galaxy S III looks nothing like the iOS YouTube icon. If it Google was truly NOT under the influence of iOS 7, why the need for two unique icons?

Cougarcat
Aug 22, 2013, 02:51 PM
That's not exactly a source. There's no date to show that their design philosophy predates iOS 7. And my YouTube app on my Galaxy S III looks nothing like the iOS YouTube icon. If it Google was truly NOT under the influence of iOS 7, why the need for two unique icons?

See my link above, they've been working on their current design philosophy since 2011.

No idea why it took them this long to get the YouTube app aligned with it, though.

cwosigns
Aug 22, 2013, 02:51 PM
http://theverge.com/2013/1/24/3904134/google-redesign-how-larry-page-engineered-beautiful-revolution

Yeah...still nothing that states definitively that the current iOS YouTube icon predates iOS 7.

Cougarcat
Aug 22, 2013, 02:52 PM
Yeah...still nothing that states definitively that the current iOS YouTube icon predates iOS 7.

It doesn't, but their design language obviously does.

cwosigns
Aug 22, 2013, 02:53 PM
It doesn't, but their design language obviously does.

So you cannot know for certain that iOS 7 didn't guide the design of the iOS YouTube app.

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 02:54 PM
The craigslist app that I use got updated yesterday and it looks nice. Pretty simplistic like iOS 7 and blends in.

Do you think this is how many apps will be updated to once iOS 7 is released?

Do you like it?That design looks more like Google/Android design that iOS 7. Furthermore, CraigsList has always been a simple/flat web site, so nothing unusual for an app for it to be similar in that respect, unrelated to iOS 7.

WJKramer
Aug 22, 2013, 02:54 PM
All 3D icons are horrible....Google is horrible at design....Anyway, Apple has not opened the window yet for iOS7 app submission. Some developers are trying to get a head-start on ironing out bugs and making it known in the release notes. I've even seen negative reviews being left on the App Store from people angry about apps crashing using iOS7 beta which is total BULL.

The new art work within apps is becoming very common because thats the way design is headed....clean, simple and non-skumorphic. iOS 7 will give it that last push, I hope.

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 02:55 PM
So you cannot know for certain that iOS 7 didn't guide the design of the iOS YouTube app.Nor can you know that it did. With the design and updates of the other Google apps (again, even before iOS 7 was revealed) it seems more likely that the YouTube design update was to bring it more in line with that than with anything specifically iOS 7 related.

Cougarcat
Aug 22, 2013, 02:55 PM
So you cannot know for certain that iOS 7 didn't guide the design of the iOS YouTube app.

Perhaps it gave them the impetus to finally redesign it, sure. But it's redesigned to their preexisting design principles, not iOS 7.

The google maps app was similarly redesigned with the flatter/simpler look before iOS 7.

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 02:56 PM
By the way, there's a fairly recent thread about this kind of thing already: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1625062

cwosigns
Aug 22, 2013, 02:57 PM
Nor can you know that it did. With the design and updates of the other Google apps (again, even before iOS 7 was revealed) it seems more likely that the YouTube design update was to bring it more in line with that than with anything specifically iOS 7 related.

I never said it did. Just that it seemed to be reflective of the flatter icon design that the iOS 7 UI has. It was someone else who seemed certain that it didn't, which no one has cited a source that indicates that.

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 03:03 PM
I never said it did. Just that it seemed to be reflective of the flatter icon design that the iOS 7 UI has. It was someone else who seemed certain that it didn't, which no one has cited a source that indicates that.I think it's more that it fits in with the overall iOS 7 design concept, which is similar, but not that it's related to it in any way necessarily (beyond simply being similar in the overall design concept). Perhaps iOS 7 was somehow influenced by the design of Google's apps and now that YouTube has updated to be more in line with Google's latest general iOS app design it could be said that iOS 7 is more reflective of its (and Google's latest general iOS) design, than the other way around.

coldjeanzzz
Aug 22, 2013, 03:11 PM

I don't care about the icon, but the app design itself has NOTHING to do with iOS 7. If you have ever looked at Google's apps (Google Now, Keep, Music Player, even the Play store) they all use the same white "card" UI and the three little squares as a menu. The people that think Google changing the Youtube app to cater to iOS 7 are just looking for a connection that isn't there.

cwosigns
Aug 22, 2013, 03:17 PM
Wow. People on here aren't much for reading. I don't see where anyone has said the app design was about iOS 7. Just that the icon update fits well with iOS 7's design language.

mainer4101
Aug 22, 2013, 03:26 PM
Wow. People on here aren't much for reading. I don't see where anyone has said the app design was about iOS 7. Just that the icon update fits well with iOS 7's design language.

Yeah, that was all I was referring to. I don't think we'll see many apps changing their UI to be just like iOS 7, but I think most will at least change their app icon.

Drop Box is another app icon very flat and iOS 7-like.

Cougarcat
Aug 22, 2013, 03:28 PM

Just some miscommunication. I thought (and others, too) that's what you meant when you said it was "reflective" of iOS 7.

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 03:31 PM
Wow. People on here aren't much for reading. I don't see where anyone has said the app design was about iOS 7. Just that the icon update fits well with iOS 7's design language.You did start with this:I disagree. iOS 7 has a unique design language, and I think the new app icon is reflective of the direction that Apple took iOS 7.In that context, and the context of the the thread, "reflective" isn't really the same as simply "fitting in" (there's more of an implication of influence). Furthermore, even if does "fit in" in can very easily, again given the general Google iOS design principles, be more of a coincidence, or even more that iOS 7 "fits in" really nicely with the design of Google's iOS apps.

----------

Yeah, that was all I was referring to. I don't think we'll see many apps changing their UI to be just like iOS 7, but I think most will at least change their app icon.

Drop Box is another app icon very flat and iOS 7-like.But Dropbox also had that before iOS 7 too as I recall. So, it's more of iOS 7 fitting in with it, than the other way around really.

mainer4101
Aug 22, 2013, 03:33 PM
But Dropbox also had that before iOS 7 too as I recall. So, it's more of iOS 7 fitting in with it, than the other way around really.

I'm not sure on this, but was the Drop Box app icon updated during this Beta release, or was it before? Maybe I just noticed it during the Beta because it was similar to the flatness of iOS 7.

coldjeanzzz
Aug 22, 2013, 03:37 PM

No one even mentioned icons until you brought it up for no reason. This thread was about app design, not ICON design. You then quoted me for some reason to talk about it even though I clearly quoted someone who was referring to the app. Seems you're the one that lacks reading comprehension.

Cougarcat
Aug 22, 2013, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure on this, but was the Drop Box app icon updated during this Beta release, or was it before? Maybe I just noticed it during the Beta because it was similar to the flatness of iOS 7.

I'm not sure when it was last updated, but it's been like that for quite a while.

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 03:41 PM
I'm not sure on this, but was the Drop Box app icon updated during this Beta release, or was it before? Maybe I just noticed it during the Beta because it was similar to the flatness of iOS 7.While I might not be 100% certain, I'm pretty sure it was like that for a while before iOS 7 was relieved (along with at least a number of various other apps that decided to go into a more flat/simple design direction, at least as far as their icons, even before iOS 7).

Am3r1ca16
Aug 22, 2013, 04:28 PM
That design looks more like Google/Android design that iOS 7. Furthermore, CraigsList has always been a simple/flat web site, so nothing unusual for an app for it to be similar in that respect, unrelated to iOS 7.

not really i had the previous craigslist version and it wasnt that flat.

Smwdesigns
Aug 22, 2013, 04:30 PM
App Developers can't update their apps to be iOS7 compatible until Apple releases iOS7.

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 04:40 PM
App Developers can't update their apps to be iOS7 compatible until Apple releases iOS7.Not as far as using iOS 7 APIs, but definitely as far as those apps being able to run without bugs in iOS 7 as well as when it comes to using iOS 7 (inspired) look/feel--a number of them already have, as mentioned at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1625062.

Smwdesigns
Aug 22, 2013, 04:42 PM
Not as far as using iOS 7 APIs, but definitely as far as those apps being able to run without bugs in iOS 7 as well as when it comes to using iOS 7 (inspired) look/feel--a number of them already have, as mentioned at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1625062.

That's what I meant to imply. Developers can't update apps to use iOS7 APIs until iOS7 has been released.

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 04:45 PM
That's what I meant to imply. Developers can't update apps to use iOS7 APIs until iOS7 has been released.Right. I think this thread (and the other one I mentioned) seem to come at it more from the look/feel side of things than anything else.

aldoF
Aug 22, 2013, 05:31 PM

just deleted my developer version and installed the one from the store, you're 100% correct, this one works properly (no more hangups), the new icon is cool too. Interestingly enough I did the same on my iPad mini and this version works well too, but the icon is still the same old one...maybe on the next update they will update it.

charlituna
Aug 22, 2013, 05:33 PM
The Find iPhone app was apparently updated, but isn't compatible with iOS 6.

Not at all.

For about 20 minutes right after the update posted there was an iCloud issue that caused an error message for a few people. Most of whom were likely opening it just to see what changes there were and didn't actually need to use it

Rogifan
Aug 22, 2013, 05:37 PM
I'd really love it if Google would add volume control to the app as well as the ability to go forward/backwards 30 seconds.

Papajuice
Aug 22, 2013, 06:12 PM
The new YouTube app has some grey text on grey background when you type in a search. Not very attractive or smart

Fenderf4i
Aug 22, 2013, 06:28 PM
Todays update to Find My Friends told me that I have to turn on Background Apps in settings on iOS 7 (I had it off to save battery) for people to see me on the map. It looks like Apple is doing some iOS 7 updates already.

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 06:45 PM
Todays update to Find My Friends told me that I have to turn on Background Apps in settings on iOS 7 (I had it off to save battery) for people to see me on the map. It looks like Apple is doing some iOS 7 updates already.Haven't had to do that on mine when I used it after it was updated (still have background apps set to off).

ajiuo
Aug 22, 2013, 07:03 PM
Googles youtube app kind of sucks... This one is better, does mach IOS7, and supports downloads, add blocking.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/angry-tube-for-youtube/id681880736?mt=8

Fenderf4i
Aug 22, 2013, 08:48 PM
Haven't had to do that on mine when I used it after it was updated (still have background apps set to off).

Attached is a screenshot. If I turn background apps off, it turns off showing my location as well, and tells me to turn background apps back on.

VTECaddict
Aug 23, 2013, 01:44 AM

Nope. It follows Google's own design language that has existed for a while. Google Maps, Gmail, Google+, and Google apps all have the same style icon design as the newly updated YouTube app. All of those other apps were released well before iOS 7 was announced.

Besides, the icons aren't even 'iOS 7-flat'. There is a strip of drop shadow at the bottom as well as a thin white line at the top to give the icon a slight 3D button-like appearance. It's not completely flat like iOS 7 icons are.

You make it seem like iOS 7 is triggering a revolution in design, but iOS 7 isn't really guiding anything. UI/web/graphic design has been going in the direction of more "flat"/simple/minimalistic for years now. Android, Windows Phone, Windows 8, and plenty of iOS apps and app icons had "flat" designs before iOS 7 was even on the radar. If anything, iOS 7 is playing catch-up to the direction the rest of the industry has already been moving to.

aslucher
Aug 23, 2013, 12:53 PM
Many apps will start to make cosmetic changes, but no developer is allowed to submit an app yet using any iOS7 code.
I can't wait to see what developers will do. It's an exciting behind the scenes release.

Then why does this say iOS 7 support buddy. Also not the first app I've seen claiming to have added support for iOS 7. They are universal apps why wouldn't they be coded already.....

Tmelon
Aug 23, 2013, 01:00 PM
Then why does this say iOS 7 support buddy. Also not the first app I've seen claiming to have added support for iOS 7. They are universal apps why wouldn't they be coded already.....

Apps that have been updated so far with "iOS 7 support" simply means that they work on iOS 7 and don't crash like many other non-updated apps. These apps aren't actually using iOS 7 APIs such as the new keyboard.

Tyler23
Aug 23, 2013, 01:12 PM
Apps that have been updated so far with "iOS 7 support" simply means that they work on iOS 7 and don't crash like many other non-updated apps. These apps aren't actually using iOS 7 APIs such as the new keyboard.

Exactly this. When apps are currently saying support for iOS 7, they mean their apps aren't going to crash on the current build of iOS 7, now.

Once iOS 7 is released, these apps will be releasing updates built for iOS 7, which they can't do now.

cwosigns
Aug 23, 2013, 01:28 PM
You make it seem like iOS 7 is triggering a revolution in design...

THAT'S kind of a stretch there...

mrapplegate
Aug 23, 2013, 01:30 PM

What the others have said. iOS 7 support means just that their apps now don't crash on iOS 7. It does not mean they are using iOS 7 API's.

aslucher
Aug 23, 2013, 03:45 PM
What the others have said. iOS 7 support means just that their apps now don't crash on iOS 7. It does not mean they are using iOS 7 API's.

I guess I misunderstood what you had said. That makes total sense once I read everyone's comments!!

My brain works differently. Support to me still means coded. APIs are just special additions. This is how I visualize it in my mind at least. And I understand there is way more involved but I'm not some big shot programmer here haha I simplify. Please take no offense! :)

mrapplegate
Aug 23, 2013, 05:10 PM
I guess I misunderstood what you had said. That makes total sense once I read everyone's comments!!

My brain works differently. Support to me still means coded. APIs are just special additions. This is how I visualize it in my mind at least. And I understand there is way more involved but I'm not some big shot programmer here haha I simplify. Please take no offense! :)

No worries, I did not take offense. It's easy to confuse things when developers release updates mentioning iOS 7.