Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
The craigslist app that I use got updated yesterday and it looks nice. Pretty simplistic like iOS 7 and blends in.

Do you think this is how many apps will be updated to once iOS 7 is released?

Do you like it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 231

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Many apps will start to make cosmetic changes, but no developer is allowed to submit an app yet using any iOS7 code.
I can't wait to see what developers will do. It's an exciting behind the scenes release.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
The Find iPhone app was apparently updated, but isn't compatible with iOS 6. I'm sure it will be corrected, but I was able to download the app from the App Store before it's pulled. It replaced the version I had installed via Xcode, and is much more stable and has a flatter UI design.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
The Find iPhone app was apparently updated, but isn't compatible with iOS 6. I'm sure it will be corrected, but I was able to download the app from the App Store before it's pulled. It replaced the version I had installed via Xcode, and is much more stable and has a flatter UI design.

So it works better than the version that is on the developer site? Which is the same version 2.0.3.

----------

Looks like they fixed it:
http://www.macworld.com/article/204...er-accounts-and-ios-7-beta.html#tk.twt_lexfri

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
So it works better than the version that is on the developer site? Which is the same version 2.0.3.

Correct. The icon is different and the performance is better. On the one installed from Xcode, the app would hang when I would open it. Then it would crash. Then I would open it again and it would work. This app I downloaded from the App Store works first time every time (in my limited tests).

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Correct. The icon is different and the performance is better. On the one installed from Xcode, the app would hang when I would open it. Then it would crash. Then I would open it again and it would work. This app I downloaded from the App Store works first time every time (in my limited tests).

Interesting. I never had a problem with it on iOS7. They apparently fixed it, but the version is still the same, 2.0.3, so it should be the same.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I disagree. iOS 7 has a unique design language, and I think the new app icon is reflective of the direction that Apple took iOS 7.

It's just a coincidence, Google has been working on their design language for quite a while. They weren't influenced by iOS 7's design with the new icon, if that's what you're thinking.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I disagree. iOS 7 has a unique design language, and I think the new app icon is reflective of the direction that Apple took iOS 7.
The design of Google's other apps and their icons has been in place for some time now (even before iOS 7), even though it just happens to be a flat/simple design that is analogous to iOS 7's design, and YouTube has more or less just got aligned with it with the latest update.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
That's not exactly a source. There's no date to show that their design philosophy predates iOS 7. And my YouTube app on my Galaxy S III looks nothing like the iOS YouTube icon. If it Google was truly NOT under the influence of iOS 7, why the need for two unique icons?

See my link above, they've been working on their current design philosophy since 2011.

No idea why it took them this long to get the YouTube app aligned with it, though.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The craigslist app that I use got updated yesterday and it looks nice. Pretty simplistic like iOS 7 and blends in.

Do you think this is how many apps will be updated to once iOS 7 is released?

Do you like it?
That design looks more like Google/Android design that iOS 7. Furthermore, CraigsList has always been a simple/flat web site, so nothing unusual for an app for it to be similar in that respect, unrelated to iOS 7.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
All 3D icons are horrible....Google is horrible at design....Anyway, Apple has not opened the window yet for iOS7 app submission. Some developers are trying to get a head-start on ironing out bugs and making it known in the release notes. I've even seen negative reviews being left on the App Store from people angry about apps crashing using iOS7 beta which is total BULL.

The new art work within apps is becoming very common because thats the way design is headed....clean, simple and non-skumorphic. iOS 7 will give it that last push, I hope.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So you cannot know for certain that iOS 7 didn't guide the design of the iOS YouTube app.
Nor can you know that it did. With the design and updates of the other Google apps (again, even before iOS 7 was revealed) it seems more likely that the YouTube design update was to bring it more in line with that than with anything specifically iOS 7 related.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
So you cannot know for certain that iOS 7 didn't guide the design of the iOS YouTube app.

Perhaps it gave them the impetus to finally redesign it, sure. But it's redesigned to their preexisting design principles, not iOS 7.

The google maps app was similarly redesigned with the flatter/simpler look before iOS 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.