PDA

View Full Version : Favorite iOS7 Feature(s)

Smwdesigns
Aug 22, 2013, 05:45 PM
Thought of a maybe fun topic... What's your favorite iOS7 feature that Apple has introduced? Why?

Paddle1
Aug 22, 2013, 05:46 PM
Control Center.

tevion5
Aug 22, 2013, 05:49 PM
Good luck getting any responses to this topic here at MacWhiners :p

BHP41
Aug 22, 2013, 05:52 PM
In before the "i hate the icons" "please change the icons" "whats with the my little pony theme" posts.

silverboy31
Aug 22, 2013, 05:59 PM
Control centre , auto updates , and NC .. And I do like the new UI , call me crazy ...... As a developer I'm very happy to see the direction that iOS is going in ....

Di4mondz
Aug 22, 2013, 06:03 PM
Gesture to go back is a definite one.
and ofc Control Center.

WJKramer
Aug 22, 2013, 06:11 PM
COntrol Center and iTunes Radio!

pottyvick
Aug 22, 2013, 06:14 PM
Control center and Multi-tasking... Maybe airdrop as soon as my friends update to ios7

ionjohn
Aug 22, 2013, 06:19 PM
Control center, the new ugly dock and ugly icons... Ohh no wait those arent features right?

Tammster
Aug 22, 2013, 06:20 PM
Some of my favorites have been already mentioned... but one thing I'm very excited about is the new abilities of the shared photo streams. Right now, each of my family members has a separate stream they post pictures to that the rest of the family can see on their photo stream. Now, we can create ONE family stream and all post to it! :D

Armen
Aug 22, 2013, 06:45 PM
Thought of a maybe fun topic... What's your favorite iOS7 feature that Apple has introduced? Why?

Swipe to go back because it's difficult to reach the back button if you're using the phone with only 1 hand.

Smwdesigns
Aug 22, 2013, 06:57 PM
Swipe to go back because it's difficult to reach the back button if you're using the phone with only 1 hand.

I'm pretty sure swipe to go back has already been introduced in the App Store app and a few other places in the OS.

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 07:03 PM
I'm pretty sure swipe to go back has already been introduced in the App Store app and a few other places in the OS.As in iOS 6 and before? What screens/apps, out of curiosity?

Smwdesigns
Aug 22, 2013, 07:07 PM
As in iOS 6 and before? What screens/apps, out of curiosity?

I'm running iOS7 on my iPhone 5. If you go in settings you can swipe back. And and if your in the App Store looking at an app you can swipe back.

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 07:10 PM
I'm running iOS7 on my iPhone 5. If you go in settings you can swipe back. And and if your in the App Store looking at an app you can swipe back.Oh, you mean in iOS 7 in general? Yeah, it's been introduced more or less system-wide (which is I think what Armen was referring to, and what the thread is basically about). I thought with your earlier reply where you mentioned "... has already been introduced ..." you meant that that feature was there in some places before iOS 7.

mavis
Aug 22, 2013, 07:13 PM
I love Control Center and AirDrop and automatic app updating, but the thing I love/use the most is probably the swipe gestures in Safari, Messages, Settings, etc. So nice to be able to swipe to go back now ... :D

sik08amg
Aug 22, 2013, 07:16 PM
Air drop, but its not completely awesome until we are able to airdrop to and from a mac. :D

Smwdesigns
Aug 22, 2013, 07:19 PM
Oh, you mean in iOS 7 in general? Yeah, it's been introduced more or less system-wide (which is I think what Armen was referring to, and what the thread is basically about). I thought with your earlier reply where you mentioned "... has already been introduced ..." you meant that that feature was there in some places before iOS 7.

Oh no. I was just referring to Apple already introducing swipe to go back in iOS7. Sorry for the confusion.

----------

Air drop, but its not completely awesome until we are able to airdrop to and from a mac. :D

I agree. Hope Apple allows you to use airdrop between Macs and iPhones.

Mlrollin91
Aug 22, 2013, 07:30 PM
Swipe to go back. Especially in safari. Such a small feature but very convenient.

ajvizzgamer101
Aug 22, 2013, 07:33 PM
I use Today everyday. And Automatically updates are nice from connivence stand point and from a geek stand point. Best feeling was just the other day I looked at my iPhone and saw a new app icon for Youtube. :D

Jett0516
Aug 22, 2013, 07:46 PM
block calls!

Gogurt48
Aug 22, 2013, 07:47 PM
I love Control Center and AirDrop and automatic app updating, but the thing I love/use the most is probably the swipe gestures in Safari, Messages, Settings, etc. So nice to be able to swipe to go back now ... :D

I agree. I often find myself swiping back in apps that don't support it, just out of habit, and being disappointed when nothing happens. I can't wait until more apps support it.

red41
Aug 22, 2013, 07:50 PM
Having the exact time of each text message. It's a small feature but something I've always wanted on my iPhone.

Armen
Aug 22, 2013, 09:13 PM
Oh, you mean in iOS 7 in general? Yeah, it's been introduced more or less system-wide (which is I think what Armen was referring to, and what the thread is basically about). I thought with your earlier reply where you mentioned "... has already been introduced ..." you meant that that feature was there in some places before iOS 7.

Exactly. The system wife swipe to go back is my favorite feature of iOS 7

ajay96
Aug 22, 2013, 09:41 PM
Swipe to go back has been a big deal for me.

vigilant
Aug 22, 2013, 09:47 PM
New multitasking screen and the transparency as an interface element.

Transparency is something that I thought I'd hate, but the layering of things has made it really nice. I like the interface changing behind the Safari controls as I scroll.

M5RahuL
Aug 22, 2013, 09:55 PM
Lock Screen w/o the top/bottom bands ; Palm Pre type Multi-Tasking :p ; Airdrop [ when it works ] ; and audio controls w/flash light built in!!

vigilant
Aug 22, 2013, 09:59 PM
Lock Screen w/o the top/bottom bands ; Palm Pre type Multi-Tasking :p ; Airdrop [ when it works ] ; and audio controls w/flash light built in!!

The new Lockscreen really is great.

There is almost nothing from a functional perspective added, but cleaning all of that up just makes it great.

nitromac
Aug 22, 2013, 10:10 PM
Control center. That's pretty much it. The parallax/transparency got old in a few hours. New notification center is confusing -- I'd expect "All" to still show today's notifications/events along with past ones. Like it was in iOS6. Everything else is too minor to call an actual "feature". Yes, everything looks cleaner and I like it. But somehow it just doesn't feel like they brought anything really new to the table.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much -- it's only a software update. But it's apple's own damn fault to hype it up so much and pretend like it's a brand new thing when it's really just a new skin that's been reorganized a bit.

The weirdest thing is the camera app, which doesn't follow the design aesthetic of the OS at all.

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 11:23 PM
Control center. That's pretty much it. The parallax/transparency got old in a few hours. New notification center is confusing -- I'd expect "All" to still show today's notifications/events along with past ones. Like it was in iOS6. Everything else is too minor to call an actual "feature". Yes, everything looks cleaner and I like it. But somehow it just doesn't feel like they brought anything really new to the table.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much -- it's only a software update. But it's apple's own damn fault to hype it up so much and pretend like it's a brand new thing when it's really just a new skin that's been reorganized a bit.

The weirdest thing is the camera app, which doesn't follow the design aesthetic of the OS at all.All still shows all of notifications, but just notifications not other stuff (like today's events and widget type of information). Seems somewhat cleaner to separate those.

JoeyCloverfield
Aug 23, 2013, 12:38 AM
The App Store is now a native app instead of a skinned web-browser. I hope they do the same with iTunes. I'm patiently waiting for iOS 8 (not a typo).

HarryAinslie
Aug 23, 2013, 02:29 AM
Maps, will be even more awesome when integrated with Mac Maps on Mavericks.

My only faults with this app now is:

1. Needs to know more businesses when you search
2. Available to work offline

Merkie
Aug 23, 2013, 02:59 AM
These features please me the most:
1. Control Center
2. Swipe to go back (and forward in Safari)
3. New multitasking UI (sometimes the thumbnail is enough for me :) )
4. Automatic updating of appsThe App Store is now a native app instead of a skinned web-browser. I hope they do the same with iTunes. I'm patiently waiting for iOS 8 (not a typo).
Huge improvement indeed.

aDRock1154
Aug 23, 2013, 06:14 AM
1. Control Center
2. Gestures (Back,Forward)
3. Notification Center on Lock Screen
4. AirDrop
5. Spotlight (Pull down)
6. Multitasking

FlatlinerG
Aug 23, 2013, 06:20 AM
1. Swipe to go back.
2. Change to the multitask menu.
3. Automatic app updates.

All of these have been mentioned already in this thread but still. I don't even care about the lack of buttons to go back pages, swipe to go back is 100 times better.

Galer
Aug 23, 2013, 06:29 AM
Parallax effect.
Spotlight.
Swipe to delete and more options.
Font size settings.
Automatic app updates.

Tammster
Aug 23, 2013, 07:10 AM
But somehow it just doesn't feel like they brought anything really new to the table.

Really? Nothing new? It might not be features you care about (or maybe you thought they should have been available already) but there are certainly new features in this software update.

-Control center
-Airdrop
-Auto updates
-iTunes Radio
-A number of of new camera & photo related features (new collections, new ability for photo streams to go both ways)
-Audio only Facetime
-Safari now has a few NEW features (shared links, iCloud keychain, password generator)
-New security features
-iOS in the car is also a new feature, although I am thinking it will be a while before anyone can really use that one.

I'm sure I missed a bunch. Again, maybe not new features you are excited about, but new features nonetheless.

Sodner
Aug 23, 2013, 07:14 AM
I like the new traffic / travel time info in notification center. To me that's just a wow cool type thing. Also like new multi-task interface.

VSMacOne
Aug 23, 2013, 08:39 AM
I like the new gestures. I find myself using them more and more in Mail and Messages.

Tar Sniffer
Aug 23, 2013, 08:32 PM
The retina quality white that they've added to all the apps..

TrenttonY
Aug 23, 2013, 09:42 PM
Do you get a notification when a app has been updated or is it when a update is available or both? And is the use cellular data in App Store settings for app updates? If off it won't update apps on cellular?

benji888
Aug 25, 2013, 06:30 AM
Maps, will be even more awesome when integrated with Mac Maps on Mavericks.

My only faults with this app now is:

1. Needs to know more businesses when you search
2. Available to work offline

In keeping with the subject of this thread...All of the improvements of the look, such as the lock screen, control center, multitasking, notifications improvements...one of my favorite things is the way they changed the layout of the number keys when you sign in (w/passcode)...at first I didn't really like it being more spread out, longer reach, have to hold it slightly differently, however, I found myself able to do 2 things I couldn't before:

1) I can now type my passcode in with my left hand as well as my right (I'm partly ambidextrous)
2) I can now enter my passcode without looking (with my writing hand). I could not do this before, the keys were too close and the shape...now, with even symmetrical spacing, and space between the keys, I don't have to look.:D

While Maps is definitely improved, I hate the fact they integrated Yelp more...I was hoping they would buy Foursquare or license their data...Foursquare is lightyears beyond Yelp, not only in their app UI and functionality, but, also the data...Yelp can be out of date or missing/innacurate much more information than Foursquare.

haydn!
Aug 25, 2013, 06:39 AM
In before the "i hate the icons" "please change the icons" "whats with the my little pony theme" posts.

In with what though, you contributed nothing.

For me, it is the new UI :)

Tyler23
Aug 25, 2013, 06:40 AM
Do you get a notification when a app has been updated or is it when a update is available or both? And is the use cellular data in App Store settings for app updates? If off it won't update apps on cellular?

It will only show up on notification center after an app has been updated.

And yes, you can set it to only update apps while on wifi (that is how I have it set.)

Badandy
Aug 25, 2013, 10:21 AM
I like the new traffic / travel time info in notification center. To me that's just a wow cool type thing. Also like new multi-task interface.

If you think that's "wow cool" then you need to see Google Now.

Excited for iOS7 though.

vigilant
Aug 25, 2013, 10:36 PM
If you think that's "wow cool" then you need to see Google Now.

Excited for iOS7 though.

The Today view is actually a bit different then Google Now. Google Now threads through all of your services that are Google based and shows them to you without any context or hierarchy. That's from me messing with it a few times.

Google Now is potentially far more useful because it's always being updating and evolving.

I am probably nitpicking but the different implementations of these is fascinating.

I love Google Now's implementation because it's so flexible. The interface for Today though is an excellent focused snap shot.

bgro
Aug 25, 2013, 10:47 PM
Control center and swipe back. Also the ability to add videos to ohotostreams and the ability to add to ohotostreams you were invited to

BlankStar
Aug 26, 2013, 08:33 AM
control center, new notification center that tells me how long the drive home will be, swipe to go back in safari, auto-updates, the new camera-app, fact that notification center is available on the lockscreen, ...

iapplelove
Aug 26, 2013, 09:35 AM
Love auto updates and now u can have Siri read email via BT over my factory car system while I'm driving. Comes in handy for work.