Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
I ordered my 70D July 2nd. Amazon is shipping them out on 8/26 here in the United States.

I can't wait!

I'll update this post once I get some footage with it!

Anyone else order one? Or are you waiting for the 7D Mark II... or something else? Let's discuss!

Update:

Just received it.

Last edited:

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
The 70D looks great. Probably later this year I'll be upgrading from a 40D. I'm looking forward to your comments.

Thanks, I'm (not) patiently awaiting it!

----------

I have the 7D and I really doubt I'll ever buy another camera. For my non-pro uses, it really is that good.

Dale

Indeed that is a great camera. I mainly choose to buy the 70D because of the new AF system.... just can't beat it for a DSLR.

I'll be interested to see how well it works on the 7D Mark II.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Indeed that is a great camera. I mainly choose to buy the 70D because of the new AF system.... just can't beat it for a DSLR.

Isn't the new twin focusing system only for video? :confused:

EDIT: Just read DPReviews preview review of it, if you are a video or liveview user then the new AF is the goods. It is a nice step up from the 60D in some ways, still lacks microadjustment though. :-(

Last edited:

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009

EDIT: Just read DPReviews preview review of it, if you are a video or liveview user then the new AF is the goods. It is a nice step up from the 60D in some ways, still lacks microadjustment though. :-(

I'll be using it for video probably 90% of the time.

I also want to pair it with the new Sigma 18-35 F1.8.... but I can't afford that at the moment ha!

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Just revived the 70D today. Here is a quick sample shot!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 186

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Wow, these are crisp as heck! Good dynamic range too.
How's the autofocus? Is it the exact same as the 7D?

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Wow, these are crisp as heck! Good dynamic range too.
How's the autofocus? Is it the exact same as the 7D?

It's amazing. I'm seriously impressed.

Live view auto focus is great, it's super fast and super smooth, looks like cinema quality.

I've never used the 7D but I'm sure has a better auto focus system than it!

----------

The 70D looks great. Probably later this year I'll be upgrading from a 40D. I'm looking forward to your comments.

I'm really loving it so far. My first DLSR, and it's a huge upgrade from my Sony Handycam. The AF is really, really good. I'm also loving how many settings I can tweak to get the perfect shot.

The 18-135 STM lens is fast at focusing, but it doesn't have a great macro shot... it's only 1.3 FT.

Other than that I'll have to keep playing with it to find more things I like/dislike.

----------

I have the 7D and I really doubt I'll ever buy another camera. For my non-pro uses, it really is that good.

Dale

I'm hearing this from a lot of people. I'm curious which lens you use? Also what types of activities do you shoot?

The 70D has an amazing AF system, would that be of interest to you? Or are you mostly a manual focusing shooter?

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan

:confused::confused:

I remember reading same article, http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-70d and it stated
The 70D also regains an array of features that disappeared between the EOS 50D and 60D, such as AF microadjustment.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
:confused::confused:

I remember reading same article, http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-70d and it stated

This review has been added to several times already, I don't think it was there when I read it initially, but it may have been. That's good that it's back again on the X0 series bodies, it was the major let down for me with my 60D as one of my EF-S lenses needed the adjustment compensation. I could only use it on liveview as a consequence. It would be good if it lets you set adjustment points for both ends of a zoom lens.

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
I'm going to wait a few months, if I can help, it for the price to drop. I've got three lenses, two are Canon lenses and are compatible with the 70D. I'm just hoping my Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 EX DC will work with the 70D.

It'll be nice to upgrade from my 20D finally.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
I'm going to wait a few months, if I can help, it for the price to drop. I've got three lenses, two are Canon lenses and are compatible with the 70D. I'm just hoping my Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 EX DC will work with the 70D.

It'll be nice to upgrade from my 20D finally.

You might want to check out the black friday deals when they start popping up, you might be able to get a discount then.

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
You might want to check out the black friday deals when they start popping up, you might be able to get a discount then.

No Black Friday in Japan. :)

The prices slide gradually from the day they come out, and usually reach an 'acceptable' level around the 6 month mark from introduction. I was hoping the 70D would be released near the end of the year like most of the previous Ds (albeit release a year or two ago - I've been waiting a looong time for the 70D) so I could pick it up in summer and go out in the sun with it. Winter just has bad lighting and isn't as exciting for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.