PDA

View Full Version : [iPhone] Phone Not Charging on iOS 7

Squilly
Aug 22, 2013, 11:25 PM
I don't understand at all. My phone isn't charging. It's an iPhone 5. When it does, it charges and turns on. Afterwards, it stops charging (when it fully turns on). I have to repeat the process just to use my phone for the 3% I get each time it boots. It's so cumbersome and annoying. Anyone else have the issue?

C DM
Aug 22, 2013, 11:27 PM
Have you tried a different charging cable, charger, and/or outlet?

Squilly
Aug 22, 2013, 11:30 PM
Have you tried a different charging cable, charger, and/or outlet?

Tried both. 5w and 10w adapter and original and oem cable. Both adapters work, the original lightning cable doesn't. OEM works, but not when phone is on.

imaginex20
Aug 22, 2013, 11:34 PM
Downgrade back to iOS 6 and see if the charging problem still exists...if not then bring to apple with iOS 6 on it to get it exchanged.

Squilly
Aug 22, 2013, 11:39 PM
Downgrade back to iOS 6 and see if the charging problem still exists...if not then bring to apple with iOS 6 on it to get it exchanged.

Can I downgrade? I don't even know if I have the necessary battery life to complete a restore.

imaginex20
Aug 22, 2013, 11:42 PM
Yes you can downgrade...download iOS 6 ipsw and click option (mac) or shift (windows) and click restore and select the ipsw to downgrade...

Armen
Aug 23, 2013, 12:06 AM
I don't understand at all. My phone isn't charging. It's an iPhone 5. When it does, it charges and turns on. Afterwards, it stops charging (when it fully turns on). I have to repeat the process just to use my phone for the 3% I get each time it boots. It's so cumbersome and annoying. Anyone else have the issue?

A friend of mine at work had this issue. He cleaned the charging port on his iphone 5 and it charges normally now.

Squilly
Aug 23, 2013, 12:38 AM
A friend of mine at work had this issue. He cleaned the charging port on his iphone 5 and it charges normally now.

Big problem now, wish I thought of it earlier. My computer isn't recognizing the iPhone at all (even in DFU). I restored it and can't even get back on iOS 7 due to the dreaded activation error. I created an Apple service appointment but they won't service it since iOS 7 voids warranty if you're not a registered developer.

dcp10
Aug 23, 2013, 09:22 AM
I have charging issues too with my 5. Both Apple & licensed 3rd party cables often don't register or keep switching between charging or not. I find that I have to keep the phone very still for it to maintain charging. I'm worried that there is a physical issue, but this appeared out of nowhere around beta 4, so I'm hoping its beta related. Anyone else seen anything similar?

Squilly
Aug 23, 2013, 09:32 AM
Has Apple serviced your guys' phones running iOS 7? Only thing I can think of is tampering with the internals so they won't know iOS 7 is on there.

Armen
Aug 23, 2013, 10:36 AM
Has Apple serviced your guys' phones running iOS 7? Only thing I can think of is tampering with the internals so they won't know iOS 7 is on there.

I remember seeing a thread on these forums regarding the Apple store servicing an iphone running iOS 7.

grockk
Aug 23, 2013, 11:27 AM

This. I had problems with different adapters and not charging. I used a flat toothpick and kept pulling more and more lint out. Like a lot of lint. Worked perfectly afterwards.

naasrd
Aug 23, 2013, 11:32 AM
This. I had problems with different adapters and not charging. I used a flat toothpick and kept pulling more and more lint out. Like a lot of lint. Worked perfectly afterwards.

It's amazing how much builds up, certainly over time, enough to create a layer that will hinder charging.

Armen
Aug 23, 2013, 11:46 AM

thats' exactly what my buddy did. Used a flat toothpick.

Squilly
Aug 23, 2013, 05:06 PM
Went to Apple. Guy was really nice. Instant replacement. We even talked about iOS 7 and jailbreaks lol

dcp10
Aug 24, 2013, 02:40 PM
It's amazing how much builds up, certainly over time, enough to create a layer that will hinder charging.

Yep, that's what it was. Pulled out quite a bit, now everything is fine. Interestingly, I was getting the not supported message with my 3rd party cable which is no longer the case.

sealos
Aug 24, 2013, 08:07 PM
I actually started having that issue with the last Beta. Tried cleaning the port out, but it was pretty clean since I use a LifeProof case. Figured out that It charges fine depending on which way I plug in the cable. Doesn't work on one side, works on the other. Same result using at least 5 different Apple cables across different power adapters.

Will see if it is indeed fixed in the next Beta. If not... Will take it to the Apple store.

WDE87
Aug 24, 2013, 10:03 PM
Had a major charging problem with my iPhone 5 running iOS 7. I couldn't even keep it on long enough to try to restore back to iOS 6 before taking it to the apple store.

Made an appointment anyways and the guy never said anything about iOS 7. He cleaned out the port using a 'special tool' (some sort of plastic toothpick) and it charges perfectly now. Considering getting a Lifeproof case just to protect that port now.