Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Maybe Apple hired some designers instead of handing it off to the marketing department.

photo-34.png

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
you could have posted this in the same thread on the front page...this is just my honest opinion...

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
you could have posted this in the same thread on the front page...this is just my honest opinion...

Sorry, I don't read the front page, so I don't know what's there. This is the only forum in which I hang out, so if it's not here, I don't know about it.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Sure it is. The icon has been "flattened" and simplified to be consistent with the iOS 7 style.

Not to be a jerk, but if I created an iOS 6 app and made it a "flat" designed icon, it suddenly is iOS 7 related?

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Not to be a jerk, but if I created an iOS 6 app and made it a "flat" designed icon, it suddenly is iOS 7 related?

No, but if you previously had a glossy, skeuomorphic iOS 6 icon and you flattened it, removed the gloss and simplified it in order to make it fit in better with iOS 7, then, yes, it would be iOS 7 related.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Was the Find My iPhone beta icon (for the beta that was released when iOS 7 beta 1 was released) the same?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
You realize they are just deconstructing the iOS 6 icons and removing the superfluous, but tasteful details? It really doesn't take much skill to take a design and strip it down. What was wrong with the map and bevel? Made it look more obvious and tactile. Flat is often a dumb trend.

Di4mondz

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
Its actually very simple on how they made this icon. On Photoshop, the angle gradient gives you the ability to create that sharp line with a gradient.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
You realize they are just deconstructing the iOS 6 icons and removing the superfluous, but tasteful details? It really doesn't take much skill to take a design and strip it down. What was wrong with the map and bevel? Made it look more obvious and tactile. Flat is often a dumb trend.

We'll, you wouldn't think so, but considering how badly the marketing department botched some of the other ones (Safari, Settings, etc.) I don't know. My point is that if you're going to simplify the Find My iPhone icon, this is about what it should look like. I wish the people who did this one would take a crack at some of the others.

HarryAinslie

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2011
Doncaster, England, UK
Funny how most of the threads on this forum now consist of a million and 1 posts saying:

- It's a beta
- Wrong place to post
- Another thread, why not just put it in the other
- This isn't iOS 7 related

YAWN. . . . . . . .

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Funny how most of the threads on this forum now consist of a million and 1 posts saying:

- It's a beta
- Wrong place to post
- Another thread, why not just put it in the other
- This isn't iOS 7 related

YAWN. . . . . . . .

You forgot:
- Haters gonna hate*
- Safari is snappier

* I despise that one... You sometimes get that from an insecure nerds when you are being objective and do not blindly like everything Apple does.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
It doesn't come with iOS, so I think it would be the same app everyone else downloaded.

The app that could be downloaded wasn't working, so you had to install a beta version of Find My iPhone from the dev center to use it.

The icon for Find My iPhone beta was the same as the old Find My iPhone icon.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
i like the icon however the design inside the app is still horrendously iOS 6. its awful!

No app at this time is allowed to show off their new design for iOS 7. They must be saved for after the release of iOS 7.

If any apps have shown their iOS 7 design, well, thats up to them - but you'll definitely see all of Apple's apps get an internal redesign between the GM and final public release of iOS 7.

jordancrombie92

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
United Kingdom
No app at this time is allowed to show off their new design for iOS 7. They must be saved for after the release of iOS 7.

If any apps have shown their iOS 7 design, well, thats up to them - but you'll definitely see all of Apple's apps get an internal redesign between the GM and final public release of iOS 7.

I know that but I just don't understand why they didn't wait til iOS 7 had been released before updating it. Just shows inconsistency.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
We have known what the icon looked like since beta 1 in the iCloud settings.

I think you'll find that that is still the old icon, not the new one. Notice how the new boarder is white, and the previous border is grey. The icon you posted there in iCloud Settings has a grey border, still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.