Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
When should they be re-optimized? After editing metadata? Or only after physically changing the file (removing/remuxing tracks, adding chapters, etc)?

And do they need to be removed and re-added to iTunes AFTER reoptimizing?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
When should they be re-optimized? After editing metadata? Or only after physically changing the file (removing/remuxing tracks, adding chapters, etc)?

And do they need to be removed and re-added to iTunes AFTER reoptimizing?
Once a file is "Optimized", it does not need to be re-optimized unless it is entirely re-written from new non-optimized source.

When optimizing you are moving a small packet of information from the end of the file to the beginning. Unless you do something to re-write the file from a source that has that packet of information at the end of the file, the packet will stay at the beginning.

That said, if you have any doubts or experience some delay in streaming the file, you can always re-optimize. It only takes a couple minutes with Subler. If the file is already optimized, Subler optimization will have no effect.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Does optomizing mp4/m4v files change the quality or sound of the movie?
No, just the time it takes from start of byte streaming to picture appear on screen.
PS If you are transcoding with HandBrake, you can optimize it in same pass. Just tick the WEB optimized checkbox under Video options.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
No, just the time it takes from start of byte streaming to picture appear on screen.
PS If you are transcoding with HandBrake, you can optimize it in same pass. Just tick the WEB optimized checkbox under Video options.

Great tip, I did not realize that. Thanks!

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
So, say, changing the artwork in iTunes wouldn't require re-optimisation?

Billit

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2013
Illinois
Just how does one optimize a file using Subler?

I have looked and failed to find where this is done within the program. I have read numerous forum threads on this site and have looked on the developers site but I am not finding the answer.

I use Subler to tag all of my movies and tv episodes after encoding with Handbrake and they load within ~5 seconds streamed to a aTV or iPad, so maybe Subler does this automatically?

I know where to do this within Handbrake, but I don't because ~5 seconds seems like a reasonable amount of time to me, which may very well be due to Subler if the optimizing is being done automatically before being added to my iTunes library.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
In File menu. At least in version 0.25
59dad53b1037b9b8403b5fb8af0530e4-214x344.png

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Doh! I didn't even think to look through the menus, I was just clicking around in the GUI.

Thanks.

Also, if you have the queue open, you can click on the arrow at the bottom to open the sub-menu and click the checkbox to automatically optomize every file that goes through. =]

This setting will persist every time you re-open the program and prevents you from having to click optomize for every single file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.