Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m1kygarcia

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Hello Guys, i´m trying to diagnose wether my mac mini or my VGA monitor is failing, and i need your help, right now when ever i turn on the mini it boots just fine, but when i turn on the display it takes like 5 minutes to turn on, it kind of blinks the green led and it seems like is rebooting itself.
Obviously i am using and Apple thunderbolt to VGA adapter, i´ve reset the PRAM, SMC and repair permissions in Safe mode, but i am out of options.

my monitor is and LG the exact model i am not sure, the funny thing is that it just happens only when booting time, after that i can turn off and on the display and it works 100% fine.

this weekend i´m gonna try plug it in to my LED TV, to see if it does the same symptoms but mean while i´d appreciate it if someone have already experience that.

Thanks in advance.

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
My guess is the VGA adapter takes awhile to register itself or that the boot resolution is outside the monitor's capabilities.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Hello Guys, i´m trying to diagnose wether my mac mini or my VGA monitor is failing, and i need your help, right now when ever i turn on the mini it boots just fine, but when i turn on the display it takes like 5 minutes to turn on, it kind of blinks the green led and it seems like is rebooting itself.
Obviously i am using and Apple thunderbolt to VGA adapter, i´ve reset the PRAM, SMC and repair permissions in Safe mode, but i am out of options.

my monitor is and LG the exact model i am not sure, the funny thing is that it just happens only when booting time, after that i can turn off and on the display and it works 100% fine.

this weekend i´m gonna try plug it in to my LED TV, to see if it does the same symptoms but mean while i´d appreciate it if someone have already experience that.

Thanks in advance.

Could be the auto detect feature in the monitor hanging on another input like HDMI instead of the VGA input. If you permanently use the VGA you can usually bypass auto detect. It can always be reversed.

m1kygarcia

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Could be the auto detect feature in the monitor hanging on another input like HDMI instead of the VGA input. If you permanently use the VGA you can usually bypass auto detect. It can always be reversed.

how do i bypass it, :) thanks

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Every monitor is different. You need to go into the settings in the actual monitor. It may not be the cure. I am just suggesting to try it to eliminate it as a possibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.