PDA

View Full Version : Expansive Photo Gallery Highlights Numerous Alleged iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C Parts

MacRumors
Aug 23, 2013, 10:31 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/23/expansive-photo-gallery-highlights-numerous-alleged-iphone-5s-and-iphone-5c-parts/)

Sonny Dickson has posted a new gallery (http://sonnydickson.com/2013/08/23/up-close-iphone-5c-and-iphone-5s-side-by-side-with-complete-part-set-screens-included/) of nearly 70 photos showing parts allegedly from Apple's upcoming iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C. While many of the parts and even some of the individual photos have been seen previously, the gallery provides a good look at the various parts apparently making their way out of Apple's supply chain.

The photos include rear shells of both new iPhone models at various angles, as well as parts such as screens, flex cables and connectors, and SIM trays. The shots of both phones appear to be consistent with various leaks and reports throughout the past few months, and are claimed to be "direct from sources within Apple's supply chain".

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/08/sonnydicksoniphone2.jpgYou're looking at our most extensive iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C part leak yet, with a variety of ribbon cables and components, including the entire intact casings, vibration motor, audio jack, SIM trays, the front and rear cameras, the mounts to attach all of the components to the casing, and more. Nearly everything except the logic board - even the screens!http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/08/sonnydicksoniphone1.jpg
The shots notably show the back housing of the alleged "gold" iPhone 5S, which appears to be similar to parts that surfaced (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/22/high-quality-photos-of-champagne-iphone-5s-rear-shell-surface/) yesterday showing a "champagne" color for the back plate along with a white top and bottom. The iPhone 5S pictured appears to have a dual LED flash, something that has been rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/12/photos-of-top-strip-of-iphone-5s-rear-shell-again-point-to-dual-led-flash/) and seen in a leaked prototype (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/24/apples-prototype-iphone-5s-based-on-new-a7-chip/). The shots also show the rear shell of a blue iPhone 5C complete with separated parts, all of which is consistent with prior reports (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/02/high-resolution-renderings-of-apples-lower-cost-plastic-iphone/) and leaks (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/29/possible-photos-of-plastic-rear-shell-from-apples-lower-cost-iphone/) about the phone.

Apple will reportedly unveil (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/10/apple-to-unveil-next-generation-iphone-on-september-10/) the next-generation iPhone on September 10, and will likely unveil not only the iPhone 5S but also the lower-cost plastic iPhone 5C. Both devices are also rumored to launch (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/20/iphone-5s-and-5c-expected-to-launch-in-japan-on-september-20/) in the first wave of markets on September 20.

Article Link: Expansive Photo Gallery Highlights Numerous Alleged iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C Parts (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/23/expansive-photo-gallery-highlights-numerous-alleged-iphone-5s-and-iphone-5c-parts/)

clunkmess
Aug 23, 2013, 10:33 AM
we get it already... a new iPhone is coming.

jav6454
Aug 23, 2013, 10:33 AM
Nice to know the "5S" is still showing up

Oldfash33
Aug 23, 2013, 10:34 AM
Still no pics of the front

boshii
Aug 23, 2013, 10:35 AM

Exactly. Why are there never pics of the front?

irfaanfaki
Aug 23, 2013, 10:39 AM
Still no pics of iPhone 6 😁

lewisd25
Aug 23, 2013, 10:42 AM
I'm not a fan of Champagne/White color combination. Hopefully Apple also makes a Champagne/Black version...

Xenc
Aug 23, 2013, 10:43 AM

There are photos of the front in the article source.

http://sonnydickson.com/2013/08/23/up-close-iphone-5c-and-iphone-5s-side-by-side-with-complete-part-set-screens-included/

heyitsfez
Just by looking at the shot of the back with the dual led flash I guess we can assume that most of the current ip5 cases won't fit/will interfere with the new flash, sucks that I'll probably have to get a new case :/

GuitarDTO
5" version please.

BMcCoy
Aug 23, 2013, 10:44 AM
Hopefully we'll not see any leaks of the home button/fingerprint sensor, so there's still one surprise left in the keynote..!

---

Errr... is the home button different enough from the iPhone 5 button to suggest a fingerprint sensor is incorporated?

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2847/9575530019_f3727abdde.jpg

rotax
Aug 23, 2013, 10:46 AM
What I want to know, more so than most of the common new features touted is, will the CDMA / Verizon version of the phone contain the required dual antennas to support both voice and LTE data like competitor models do, OR, if there will be hardware support for Voice Over LTE - VOLTE that would achieve the same thing. This is my only regret having switched from AT&T. I also would love to now if VOLTE will solve AT&T's dropped call problems and not create any dropped call problems for carriers in general, which is the main reason I switched.

nagromme
Aug 23, 2013, 10:49 AM
An iPhone 4-ish two-tone black and champagne would have looked better than white and champagne. I miss the two-tone black option.

Vctr
Aug 23, 2013, 10:49 AM

Probably because the front is just a screen ... ?

ValSalva
Aug 23, 2013, 10:52 AM

Yes, but let's look at yet more photos of the SIM tray and volume buttons! :rolleyes: This won't end until September 10th so we better get used to it.

VacTacks11
Aug 23, 2013, 10:55 AM
This is exactly why I sold my iPhone 5 and switched to the HTC One. I'm disappointed by the screen size.

It's not that I think Android is the better OS; it's that the iPhone is just small now. I don't need a screen size like the monstrosity that is the Note 2, but the 4" on the 5 feels cramped when I compare it to the 4.7" on my One. The extra .35" on either size makes a difference, and this is what disappoints me about the iPhone 5S or C or whatever its called.

Apple says they want to give their customers the best one-handed experience, and I get that. And maybe I just have giant hands, but on the One I can reach the top apps without straining my thumbs. I get that not everyone has my sized hands, but my point is the one-handed argument isn't what it was in the past.

It's been a challenge getting my iOS ecosystem ported over to Android, and Android is a hell of a lot less convenient. But here I am, looking at my One, knowing full well that I'm settling for it, but what else can I do? The bigger screen on this phone makes a huge difference. And that's not hyperbole.

Maybe the 6 will have a larger 4.5-4.7" screen. I hope it does. If it does, I'll happily come back.

bnnentertainmen
Aug 23, 2013, 10:58 AM
is it just me or that black color iphone 5s does have a new and better finishing. i'm a bit worried, why havent we seen any fingerprint scanner leaks (i mean, someone using that feature)

everything-i
Aug 23, 2013, 10:58 AM
I'm not a fan of Champagne/White color combination. Hopefully Apple also makes a Champagne/Black version...

I was thinking that as well. We can hope;)

BJMRamage
Aug 23, 2013, 11:02 AM
This is exactly why I sold my iPhone 5 and switched to the HTC One. I'm disappointed by the screen size.

I am testing a Samsung Galaxy S4 for a month and notice I have to adjust my hand to reach from top to bottom.

It is GREAT for video watching and looking at 16:9 photos though.
*and makes my iPhone 4 feel tiny*

calaverasgrande
Aug 23, 2013, 11:12 AM
geez, how long until we get a Jersey Shore approved Ed Hardy iPhone?
:p
Seriously, I actually prefer that blue iPhone over the "champagne" version.
But then I don't have spinners on my rims, and what rims my car does have involve these old-timey gadgets called "hubcaps".

tbrand7
Aug 23, 2013, 11:22 AM
70 Pictures? So much for Tim Cook "Doubling Down" on secrecy.

Millah
Aug 23, 2013, 11:26 AM
Hopefully we'll not see any leaks of the home button/fingerprint sensor, so there's still one surprise left in the keynote..!

---

Errr... is the home button different enough from the iPhone 5 button to suggest a fingerprint sensor is incorporated?

Image (http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2847/9575530019_f3727abdde.jpg)

Yes, did you look at the length of the ribbon cable and the number of pins on the connector at the end? Way longer than the current ribbon cable, even longer than the iPads I believe. And the number of pins on the connector has also increased.

That suggests there's more going on in the home button than previous iPhones, which had a much simpler/shorter cable.

BMcCoy
Aug 23, 2013, 11:49 AM
Yes, did you look at the length of the ribbon cable and the number of pins on the connector at the end? Way longer than the current ribbon cable, even longer than the iPads I believe. And the number of pins on the connector has also increased.

That suggests there's more going on in the home button than previous iPhones, which had a much simpler/shorter cable.

Yup, you're right...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7318/9578660298_7def7615ba_o.jpg

bchery21
Aug 23, 2013, 11:50 AM

Believe it or not, there are visitors perusing the site. Old news for us, yes, but potentially these leaks can be new for them.

blue22
Aug 23, 2013, 12:03 PM
Where's the alleged camera specs update part in photos??? I'm more interested in that than the new color option. :D

pmz
Aug 23, 2013, 12:04 PM

It's not that I think Android is the better OS; it's that the iPhone is just small now. I don't need a screen size like the monstrosity that is the Note 2, but the 4" on the 5 feels cramped when I compare it to the 4.7" on my One. The extra .35" on either size makes a difference, and this is what disappoints me about the iPhone 5S or C or whatever its called.

Apple says they want to give their customers the best one-handed experience, and I get that. And maybe I just have giant hands, but on the One I can reach the top apps without straining my thumbs. I get that not everyone has my sized hands, but my point is the one-handed argument isn't what it was in the past.

It's been a challenge getting my iOS ecosystem ported over to Android, and Android is a hell of a lot less convenient. But here I am, looking at my One, knowing full well that I'm settling for it, but what else can I do? The bigger screen on this phone makes a huge difference. And that's not hyperbole.

Maybe the 6 will have a larger 4.5-4.7" screen. I hope it does. If it does, I'll happily come back.

This will never, ever be an intelligent nor popular reason to switch from an iPhone to something else.

Not ever. You may think this kind of thing is happening, because of how susceptible to marketing you are...but it's not. The opposite is still happening (see Android to iPhone switching data from last week).

Radio
Aug 23, 2013, 01:00 PM
I'm not excited :(

I really want to update my old iPhone 5

Xeperu
Aug 23, 2013, 01:02 PM

Because Apple lacks real innovation and the front looks the same since the iPhone 1.0.

ffmed124
Aug 23, 2013, 01:15 PM
I don't get the big deal, it's an iPhone! They really haven't changed the looks to much since they started making them, it's not like we don't know what to expect.

Bare
Aug 23, 2013, 01:45 PM
Just by looking at the shot of the back with the dual led flash I guess we can assume that most of the current ip5 cases won't fit/will interfere with the new flash, sucks that I'll probably have to get a new case :/
So there are people who already have an iPhone 5 who are considering getting the 5S? Do you need dual LED flash and a fingerprint sensor in your home button that badly?

This is coming from a guy who went from a 3G, to a 4, to a 5. Apple has never been able to convince me to (literally) buy into this "S" BS.

----------

Because Apple lacks real innovation and the front looks the same since the iPhone 1.0.
FALSE

The front of the white iPhone 4 was white. First time they'd changed the front. That's why I waited ten months after the release of the iPhone 4 to get a white one when it finally came out -- I was sick of looking at the exact same thing on the front.

Ivabign
Aug 23, 2013, 02:01 PM

What? You want it kidney shaped? Maybe trapezoidal? It never fails that some yahoo says something dim about innovation regarding a part that has limited potential for change.

Is Steve spinning in his grave?

Are you switching to Android?

Is Apple going to go out of business?

How about saying something smart about Cook's commitment to secrecy? Haven't heard that line for 2-3 posts.

TennisandMusic
Aug 23, 2013, 02:05 PM
This will never, ever be an intelligent nor popular reason to switch from an iPhone to something else.

Not ever. You may think this kind of thing is happening, because of how susceptible to marketing you are...but it's not. The opposite is still happening (see Android to iPhone switching data from last week).

Errr..I know plenty of people that have made the switch for this exact reason.

I also know iPhone owners who complain non stop about the tiny size of the screen.

It is happening. Period.

TimeSquareDesi
Aug 23, 2013, 02:25 PM
I agree that the iPhone needs a bigger screen size but nothing crazy (as you said) like the Note. The thing for me is, the iPhone is so stable, I will literally purchase any model they make even if other competitors have larger screens, faster procs, etc. sounds back asswards, i was never like this before, but i personally want stability over any of the other bells and whistles.

It would be nice if they had a larger screen for the 5s or the 6 when it comes out, but regardless, i'll be buying one so long as iOS 7 is as stable as 6 has been for me :)

Battlefield Fan
Aug 23, 2013, 02:34 PM
Meh. Less attention on the iPhone and more attention on squashing the bugs out of iOS 7 plz!

Carlanga
Aug 23, 2013, 03:11 PM
geez, how long until we get a Jersey Shore approved Ed Hardy iPhone?
:p
Seriously, I actually prefer that blue iPhone over the "champagne" version.
But then I don't have spinners on my rims, and what rims my car does have involve these old-timey gadgets called "hubcaps".

Actually having hubcaps is more getto than regular rims. They shouldn't exist in this day and age. As for champagne, we don't even know if that color is going to be exclusive for the oriental market, a market where gold colored things is seen as fancy. Cultural differences ftw

koigirl
Aug 23, 2013, 03:17 PM
I'm probably hallucinating (and wishful thinking) but does it look a tad wider in the pics than the iphone 5 lying next to me?:o

jonnysods
Aug 23, 2013, 03:40 PM
Man, it's coming, we get it already. Show me a retina MBP already. Non gold coloured.

cmichaelb
Aug 23, 2013, 03:47 PM
An iPhone 4-ish two-tone black and champagne would have looked better than white and champagne. I miss the two-tone black option.

Either combo seems too 1970's to me. Might as well make an Avocado green one.

macnisse
Aug 23, 2013, 03:54 PM

Yes, defiitely prefer silver/white and champagne/black.

E.Lizardo
Aug 23, 2013, 04:49 PM

And that's where I stopped reading.

----------

70 Pictures? So much for Tim Cook "Doubling Down" on secrecy.

You people are so clever!One of these in every thread!NEVER GETS OLD

----------

I'm holding out for Harvest Gold!

odedia
Aug 23, 2013, 04:50 PM
This color reminds me of the original iPhone more than anything else. So yes, Steve WOULD have done it :).

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4050/5129993676_91f15b206c_o.jpg

D.T.
Aug 23, 2013, 05:04 PM
Actually having hubcaps is more getto than regular rims. They shouldn't exist in this day and age. As for champagne, we don't even know if that color is going to be exclusive for the oriental market, a market where gold colored things is seen as fancy. Cultural differences ftw

Wheels, they're wheels :)

sulpfiction
Aug 23, 2013, 05:25 PM

Front we already know.... It's the home button that u (and me) really want to see.

----------

Pms 488

iLoveiTunes
Aug 23, 2013, 05:48 PM
5" version please.

that what she.....wait, a sec

Eduardo1971
Aug 23, 2013, 06:37 PM
Darn. The headphone jack stays at the bottom.
:(

Carlanga
Aug 23, 2013, 07:13 PM
Wheels, they're wheels :)

nope, hubcaps are wheel covers or wheel trims (which are decorative), not wheels.
http://www.hubcapqueen.com/momhubcapgarden.JPG

D.T.
Aug 23, 2013, 07:16 PM
nope, hubcaps are wheel covers or wheel trims (which are decorative), not wheels.

You referred to wheels as rims, check your post, unless I totally misread it [?] :)

I know a few things about wheels, but thanks for the info :D

Sorry, meant to add/edit (coordinating some application deployment this evening ... slightly distracted and wouldn't even had noticed this if my Taptalk notification hadn't made a racket on my iPhone), it's just a peeve of mine, saying rim vs. wheel. I'm sure you meant wheel (and not in the context of a hubcap, which I'm actually old enough to remember when they were "cool" :) )

Peace.

Carlanga
Aug 23, 2013, 08:05 PM
You referred to wheels as rims, check your post, unless I totally misread it [?] :)

I know a few things about wheels, but thanks for the info :D

Sorry, meant to add/edit (coordinating some application deployment this evening ... slightly distracted and wouldn't even had noticed this if my Taptalk notification hadn't made a racket on my iPhone), it's just a peeve of mine, saying rim vs. wheel. I'm sure you meant wheel (and not in the context of a hubcap, which I'm actually old enough to remember when they were "cool" :) )

Peace.

lol, your edit makes things more confusing.
I am not a mechanic, but I meant rims, not wheels in my post. Yes, rims are part of the wheel after 19th century, but regular rims of today replace the crappy black rims that need a hubcap to cover them to look good so I stand by my post. :)

thekb
Aug 23, 2013, 08:14 PM

I also know iPhone owners who complain non stop about the tiny size of the screen.

It is happening. Period.

Absolutely right. I have no need for a 5.5" screen like the Note 2, but there is no reason they can't go to 4.5" It would make a huge difference and I too know many people that complain about that #1 with the iphone.

It is a perfectly valid reason to switch and many have.

D.T.
Aug 23, 2013, 08:28 PM
I am not a mechanic, but I meant rims, not wheels in my post. Yes, rims are part of the wheel after 19th century, but regular rims of today replace the crappy black rims that need a hubcap to cover them to look good so I stand by my post. :)

Hahaha, sorry about that, I'm kind of loopy tonight (the whole week actually), yeah we're on the same page, even I'm not making any sense :D

Back to arguing about gold phones and whatnot ... ;)

a0me
Aug 23, 2013, 10:35 PM

Then they should stop using their iPhone and buy a phone with a bigger screen? The vast majority of Android phones with a bigger screen are way cheaper than iPhone anyway, so it's not like money is preventing them from switching.

Personally, I wish I could keep my 3.5" iPhone 4 forever because it's the perfect size for me. If Apple ever releases a 5" iPhone I certainly hope they'll keep the 4" models for people who want a device that fits in their pocket.

bushido
Aug 24, 2013, 02:37 AM

It is happening. Period.

thats the reason i got the Nexus 4 with its 4.7 screen as a secondary device to try something new and bigger but turns out i hate the screen size ... its uncomfortable to hold in many situations like in bed and i literally get cramps in my hand holding it for too long

dankedieter
Aug 24, 2013, 03:02 AM

Or silver alu/black glass!

AppleMark
Aug 24, 2013, 03:47 AM

This is my problem with posts like this.

iPhone is the perfect size for what it was originally designed to be. A phone.

Not only a phone, but a phone that bucked the trend of micro sized phones. My non-iphone mobile in 2007 was so tiny and slim it is remarkable that I now have (and accept) a phone larger than my some of my first handsets.

In short, it is a phone that allows access to email and casual web surfing & multimedia etc, it cannot and is not designed to replace a computer or laptop (or dare I say... iPad?).

I think most users would still like a phone to fit comfortably in their pockets, rather than a much larger footprint.

I am not opposed to Apple releasing a larger phone as an option, just that I prefer the current size and do not feel that complaints as to it's size is a legitimate reason for abandoning the platform.

If like myself it sounds like you need a larger screen on the go at times, then like me you may have simply needed to buy an iPad mini. Otherwise good luck with your current platform.

j4zb4
Aug 24, 2013, 03:56 AM

Hahaha, sorry about that, I'm kind of loopy tonight (the whole week actually), yeah we're on the same page, even I'm not making any sense :D

Back to arguing about gold phones and whatnot ... ;)

Wheels and Rims are used interchangeably... The hub caps (or wheel covers) are used for the Steel wheels... The new alloy wheels don't need those...

Hope it clarifies... :p :p :p

macs4nw
Aug 24, 2013, 04:58 AM
There are photos of the front in the article source.

http://sonnydickson.com/2013/08/23/up-close-iphone-5c-and-iphone-5s-side-by-side-with-complete-part-set-screens-included/

I can't believe both the quality and quantity of all these leaked photos lately. Is it me, or are there a lot more of these hi-res shots making the rounds lately, than there ever were, prior to other launches?

Does Tim not care anymore, or has he given up, trying to stem the tide of these leaks. Or, as I'm starting to wonder, are these 'leaksters' doing this with Apple's tacit approval, or even complicity, as a pre-emptive strike, to stem the tide of impatient potential 'defectors'?

egoistaxx9
Aug 24, 2013, 07:54 AM
if that gold iphone had black strips instead of those ugly white ones, it'd have been my next iphone. i hope apple "considers" this (gold iphone with black strips) option.

Masteron
Aug 24, 2013, 02:05 PM
I can't believe both the quality and quantity of all these leaked photos lately. Is it me, or are there a lot more of these hi-res shots making the rounds lately, than there ever were, prior to other launches?

Does Tim not care anymore, or has he given up, trying to stem the tide of these leaks. Or, as I'm starting to wonder, are these 'leaksters' doing this with Apple's tacit approval, or even complicity, as a pre-emptive strike, to stem the tide of impatient potential 'defectors'?

I do not see why they would be secret about a phone that basically is the same as the 5. I see nothing amazing about the 5s, the fingerprint reader will be a fun toy for the first few weeks then most will disable it as it will be a pain in the butt and just an extra step to use your phone.

calaverasgrande
Aug 24, 2013, 11:39 PM
avocado green I would buy!
Gold + White = Liberace.
Avocado Green + Black = cool.

GenesisST
Aug 25, 2013, 07:17 AM

Yeah, life is hard...

Klosefabrinio
Aug 25, 2013, 08:06 AM
i hope we see a redesigned iphone next year, enough of this design, but this year was a good time to redesign the iphone (because they have recently released a completely redesigned iOS)

the8thark
Aug 25, 2013, 11:22 AM
This color reminds me of the original iPhone more than anything else. So yes, Steve WOULD have done it :).

Image (http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4050/5129993676_91f15b206c_o.jpg)

I own that exact exact phone and I use it every day. And it's great. I especially like the feel and weight of it. I hope the 5C can match this, as I don't think I'll be able to afford the 5S. Outright this is, not paying for a contract.

ChrisTX
Aug 25, 2013, 01:15 PM

This is true. But it may also be assumed that most iPhone 5 users signed a 2 year contract, and will not be upgrading to the 5S.

It's just a screen, what else can Apple do to make the front different. It's a rectangle, and I assume it will continue to be a rectangle for many years to come! My guess is there are no front shots because they want to protect/hide the finger print scanner.

Waughy
Aug 25, 2013, 05:34 PM

This is where I'm at, and why I swapped my i5 for an S4. It dwarfs the i5 but it isn't too big for me. Android isn't that hard to get used to and it's come a long way in recent years. I still have my iPad and when I'm home I use it more than the S4 as I still prefer iOS, but only just. to me there isn't much in it when you compare the two OS's these days. Apps is a different story but the gap isn't what it was.
An iphone the size of the S4 (no bigger) would get me to come back to iOS. I thought I was happy with the 4" on the i5, until I had a play with the S4, the extra screen real estate makes a big difference.

cmichaelb
Aug 26, 2013, 03:01 AM
avocado green I would buy!
Gold + White = Liberace.
Avocado Green + Black = cool.

lol well played!

machomandave
Aug 26, 2013, 10:47 AM

This is exactly why I'm switching to the iphone; the android competitors are getting too huge! I want to be able to carry the phone in my pocket, I dont want to have to get a purse to carry the thing like a laptop or tablet. So happy the 5s is the same size (though that was expected).
Once you get a case on the phones these days they're bulky enough. Not only that, the big screen and size is a sneaky way to 'upgrade' the internal workings of the phone without the difficult engineering it takes to shrink parts and pieces.

cheers.

bogER
Aug 27, 2013, 04:24 AM
i would like to have an iPhone with bigger screen...