Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
Looks like no beta 7 today. With just over two weeks to go before we should see the GM, I'm becoming more and more convinced there won't be a beta 7. I'm sure they know what they're doing, but I'd have liked one more beta before the GM.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Looks like no beta 7 today. With just over two weeks to go before we should see the GM, I'm becoming more and more convinced there won't be a beta 7. I'm sure they know what they're doing, but I'd have liked one more beta before the GM.

There is usually a long gap from final beta to GM. No beta 7 and skipping straight to GM would be consistent with the past.

There is still Tues for Beta 7, which would leave nearly a two week gap for GM.

Unlikely though.

They aren't much concerned about devs anymore. Beta5/6 have been stable enough for app developer API testing purposes. Apple is in crunch mode internally to get manufacturing spun up. They like to launch devices within a week after announcement. That means they have already been churning out devices now for 2 months. They need GM internally ASAP to start loading onto all those devices.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
They aren't much concerned about devs anymore. Beta5/6 have been stable enough for app developer API testing purposes. Apple is in crunch mode internally to get manufacturing spun up. They like to launch devices within a week after announcement. That means they have already been churning out devices now for 2 months. They need GM internally ASAP to start loading onto all those devices.

That's a good point. They may feel they have a handle on all the outstanding bugs and they don't need any more input from us. They'll fix it, test it internally, and go to GM. I guess that's as likely a scenario as any.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012

I agree, except for the guessing that there won't be a Beta 7. I think that, if not today, then monday is a good candidate.

There is still a lot of FCs in iOS and recently updated apps. There's also some little lag here and there. We should be able to take a sneak peak at "a little more final" iOS 7 before GM.

Apple is choosing to launch a not so perfect iOS 7.0 and using it's workforce for iOS 7.1, though this is not very nice, because the market is not exactly "booming" right now, so the company should focus on launching the best iOS 7 version yet.

Also there were many UI changes since Beta 5 (Beta 6 was just a hotfix), then it would be nice to see how it evolved, as a developer and a consumer.

Last edited:

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
I agree, except for the guessing that there won't be a Beta 7. I think that, if not today, then monday is a good candidate.

There is still a lot of FCs in iOS and recently updated apps. There's also some little lag here and there. We should be able to take a sneak peak at "a little more final" iOS 7 before GM.

Apple is choosing to launch a not so perfect iOS 7.0 and using it's workforce for iOS 7.1, though this is not very nice, because the market is not exactly "booming" right now, so the company should focus on launching the best iOS 7 version yet.

Also there were many UI changes since Beta 5 (Beta 6 was just a hotfix), then it would be nice to see how it evolved, as a developer and a consumer.

How do you know iOS 7 that gets delivered to the public will be "not so perfect"? Are you internally testing this?

And why do we deserve to see anything prior to the public release if they got all the feedback needed?

Feel entitled do we?

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013

I'd love to do that, but I think this is a case where Apple's interests don't necessarily coincide with ours. We're excited for a "sneak peak" at the progress they've been making on iOS 7 since the last beta, but all they're interested in is getting it ready for prime time. If they feel that releasing another beta will help them do that, then that's what they'll do. If not, then I guess we'll just have to wait.

I'm sure that's what they're doing. Beta 6 is "not so perfect," as you say, but Apple may feel it has all the feedback it needs now to make it perfect, or as nearly perfect as possible.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

If there was a beta 7 followed by a GM 2 weeks later (Sept 10 release to devs) than Beta 7 should drop on the 27th.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
How do you know iOS 7 that gets delivered to the public will be "not so perfect"? Are you internally testing this?

And why do we deserve to see anything prior to the public release if they got all the feedback needed?

Feel entitled do we?

Just take a look at iOS 4.0, 5.0, 6.0 and all of the previous launches, plagued with battery problems and others.

So, .0 launches are never so perfect, but the risks of changing everything about the UI and other aspects is always very high. So yes, we have some history to look at and presume that there should be more to be fixed.

My iPhone 5 had a sleep of death two times after Beta 6. If this is perfect for you, you're "entitled" to think that there's no need for a Beta 7, as much as I'm to think that there should be another one before GM.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I think we can decide for sure by Wednesday (28th). If Apple don't release Beta 7 by then, then that's it. I'm hoping for it to be released on Monday at 6PM GMT.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
I'd love to do that, but I think this is a case where Apple's interests don't necessarily coincide with ours. We're excited for a "sneak peak" at the progress they've been making on iOS 7 since the last beta, but all they're interested in is getting it ready for prime time. If they feel that releasing another beta will help them do that, then that's what they'll do. If not, then I guess we'll just have to wait.

I'm sure that's what they're doing. Beta 6 is "not so perfect," as you say, but Apple may feel it has all the feedback it needs now to make it perfect, or as nearly perfect as possible.

Yes, but at least regarding rumors, there's a Beta 7 with the "partners". I wonder if developers should be considered a lesser partner, if they can't put their hands on Beta 7. :)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Beta 7 is a Beta...and GM is the finished product...no?
Yes.

GM is the final version right before the public version. In some cases, the GM version will be the same as the public version.
In all cases GM is the same as public version by definition. GoldMaster is what is loaded at the factory.

Sometime around the 27th-3rd if not already they'll have to start the laborious job of flashing 5 Million+ iPhones (launch day number for iPhone 5) with the GM build.

----------

There are lot of debug routines active, etc, and beta flags set on in the current builds. The extra logging and diagnostic has always eat up resources.

There is almost always a *magic* jump in performance from beta to GM.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the iPhone 5S announcement rumored to be happening on September 10th with the actual release date close to a week afterwards? I assume the GM build will be released following the iPhone 5S announcement, so I still find it likely that we might see Beta 7 on Monday.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
Yes.

In all cases GM is the same as public version by definition. GoldMaster is what is loaded at the factory.

Sometime around the 27th-3rd if not already they'll have to start the laborious job of flashing 5 Million+ iPhones (launch day number for iPhone 5) with the GM build.

----------

There are lot of debug routines active, etc, and beta flags set on in the current builds. The extra logging and diagnostic has always eat up resources.

There is almost always a *magic* jump in performance from beta to GM.

Yes, that's what I was always told... And Beta 7 could be the supposed GM build, without the debug routines. That's also one of the reasons I wish there'll be a Beta 7. There's no secrecy anymore, so there's apparently no need to miss a new "beta". Unless it reveals some of the secret 5S features that we haven't seen yet.

PS: The iPad version of iOS7 seems to be pretty broken too...

Smwdesigns

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2013
How about we stop trying to guess if there's going to be a beta 7 and just let apple do it's job. Sure it'll be nice to have a beta 7 to squash a few bugs before the GM version but Apple is handling things. If you want to help handle things then maybe you should look at getting a job at Apple.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Beta 7 is a Beta...and GM is the finished product...no?

It went over your head. I'm saying that it doesn't matter if there is a beta 7. Are there any huge bugs? If not then what's the point of pushing out an update if there are only minor bugs?

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
How about we stop trying to guess if there's going to be a beta 7 and just let apple do it's job. Sure it'll be nice to have a beta 7 to squash a few bugs before the GM version but Apple is handling things. If you want to help handle things then maybe you should look at getting a job at Apple.

And you should get a job as a judge, as you seem to love judging people, particularly in this small, specific *discussion* thread.

Get a life, please?

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
I hope there is one more beta since beta 6 was so unexpected, but I don't mind if there isn't. Hope the GM includes some neat new features for us with older devices!

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2013
How about we stop trying to guess if there's going to be a beta 7 . . .

How about we stop telling people what to talk about. If you're not interested in the topic of this thread, there are many other fine threads you might enjoy.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
It went over your head. I'm saying that it doesn't matter if there is a beta 7. Are there any huge bugs? If not then what's the point of pushing out an update if there are only minor bugs?

Lots of things go ever my head.

So here's another dumb question...isn't it better to have fewer minor bugs by having another Beta, than have more minor bugs that might have been eliminated by dropping another Beta prior to releasing the GM which have to be fixed after general distribution?

Not to mention the horrendous complaining that would occur here if there were an excessive number of "minor bugs"?

Why is there such a big rush...what's a few more weeks?

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
This all seems very odd to me, for example the iPad versions are way buggy and crashy and the beta 6 while the release is very stable on the iPhone some animations drop frames.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.