Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billybobbers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Ok, trying not to panic. I'm in Windows 7 on my bootcamp partition, and I seem to have royally screwed up the mac partition by trying to allocate some unused disk space to the windows side.

The mac partition seems to have just gone, and there isn't even the recovery partition to boot from. I've used something called MiniTool Lost partition recovery, and it has recognised the missing mac partition as deleted but I'm not sure it can recover it.

Does anyone have any advice? The content of the Mac partition are all backed up on a time capsule, so I'm not so worried about content, but I'm just clueless at to what I should do.

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Does anyone have any advice? The content of the Mac partition are all backed up on a time capsule, so I'm not so worried about content, but I'm just clueless at to what I should do.

I am not an expert on this, but you should never use any Windows programs to resize the Windows partition when it was first created in Boot Camp under OS X. If you do need to change the Windows partition size, it's logical to do it from OS X, not even sure if there is any utility application capable of doing it. The safer way is to backup the Windows volume, wipe it out and recreate a new partition size and reinstall Windows under Boot Camp.

Since you still have the OS X backup, just wipe out all your current partitions under OS X and follow this link to restoring data from Time Machine backups.

billybobbers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Thank you, I tried to install from the time capsule in the recovery assistant but no luck. I got an error message when I selected the time capsule saying that I had either entered the wrong password or the backup was damaged. :confused:

billybobbers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
I eventually reinstalled Mountain Lion, and then used time capsule to bring across applications, which it did an average job of. I understand nothing is ever failsafe but after spending that amount money on Time Capsule, and then to only ever use it properly once, it's pretty disappointing to have it not function correctly. What a waste.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.