Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L T

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
UK
So its currently at 100% and showing 5 hours, I know this will gradually get better. Shall I do a couple of run flat and charge up cycles?

And also do I need to unplug it whenever I get to 100%?

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Out of the box I charged mine for about 10 minutes to 100%, unplugged and it showed 14 hours remaining.

No calibration necessary:

Portables with built-in batteries
Current Apple portable computer batteries are pre-calibrated and do not require the calibration procedure outlined in this article. These computers use batteries that should be replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

MacBook

MacBook (13-inch, Late 2009) and later
MacBook Air

MacBook Air (all models)
MacBook Pro

MacBook Pro with Retina display (all models)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) and later
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) and later
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009) and later

And, according to the FAQ - no need to unplug at 100%, but it's recommended to let it run down (a little or a lot, it doesn't specify) every 2-3 days to keep things moving inside the battery.

Apple's thoughts here: http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

Standard Maintenance
For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month. Need a reminder? Add an event to your desktop’s iCal. When your battery no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs, you may choose to replace it. If your notebook came with a built-in battery, you should have the battery replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So its currently at 100% and showing 5 hours, I know this will gradually get better. Shall I do a couple of run flat and charge up cycles?

And also do I need to unplug it whenever I get to 100%?
No, you don't need to unplug it when it's fully charged. It will stop charging and run on AC power once it is fully charged. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.