PDA

View Full Version : 1 ATV and Two Tvs (want to sync playback)

kbutler84
Aug 23, 2013, 02:14 PM
I will have two Tvs on opposite sides of a wall and was wondering if I could buy an hdmi splitter to run from the Apple TV to the two Tvs in order to sync playback for both Tvs. I know they won't be able to view content from the ATV independently, but I don't care about that. Any reason this would not work?

Lord Hamsa
Aug 23, 2013, 02:16 PM
Absolutely no reason it shouldn't work. Once the signal has left the ATV, you should be able to muck around with it to your heart's content.

Over a long distance, there may actually be a slight delay because of how far the signal travels, but in that case, who'd be close enough to both to notice?

jdechko
Aug 23, 2013, 03:13 PM
Over a long distance, there may actually be a slight delay because of how far the signal travels, but in that case, who'd be close enough to both to notice?

If the difference is enough to be noticeable, then you could always buy identical-length cables so the signal has the same distance to travel. But then you have to account for things like EMI.

QWERTYMac7
Aug 26, 2013, 08:14 AM
I have a similar setup:

One TV in the living room (HDMI) On TV in a bedroom just off the living room (HDMI).

ATV is run to a HDMI splitter and the signal feeds to both TVs at the same time.

The odd part:
I can play a movie and if there is a slight lag in audio, I go to the audio setup on the bedroom and adjust the lip sync (slider from 0 to +3). I can ALWAYS make the audio sync perfectly to the living room TV.

Once the next movie selected, occasionally the audio will be out of sync and will need to be adjusted back to the prior setting...go figure.

ALL movies ripped and added to iTunes the same way. All played back from my Mac Mini through ATV.

Just an FYI for you.

Good luck!