PDA

View Full Version : [General] [Coming January] Further 'flattening' iOS 7's icons

cobbyco
Aug 23, 2013, 03:04 PM
Release

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18644454

Discussion continues here. This thread is now closed (hopefully).

-------

Let's get something out of the way first. I don't hate the current iOS 7 icons.

I was thinking to myself about the icons in iOS 7, and I realized how flat they are now in comparison to iOS 6. However, I still thought that Apple could have gone flatter and still made it look good. After all, the icons found in Siri and Settings are very flat, mostly consisting of a plain background and a white image. I wanted to see what the iOS 7 icons would look like in that style (no gradients/textures etc.) so inevitably I opened up MS paint and had a go at it. After realizing I quite liked the icons, I started to refine them and neaten them up a bit. This is the result:

1st party (Apple) icons:
http://i.imgur.com/XIufQRA.png
Image also here (http://i.imgur.com/XIufQRA.png)

3rd party (App Store) icons:
http://i.imgur.com/xumudx2.png
Image also here (http://i.imgur.com/xumudx2.png)

Things to note:

The icons make use of iOS 7's 'Icon Grid System' (Google it).
The icons still use iOS 7's colour scheme found in all of the built-in apps.
Some of the icons have had major redesigns, including Game Center, Newsstand and Voice Memos.
Clock has had no changes done to it, while Calculator has had a very minor colour change and Reminders has had it's subtle texture removed.
Yes, all of these icons were made entirely on MS Paint.

Free theme!
I've decided that I will be making this into a free Cydia theme for all iOS 7 devices (when the OS gets jailbroken). There will be alternative icons (if you request them) that will override the standard set of icons, such as a Safari icon without the border. Don't forget, I've still yet to finalize all the icons so I will be making small changes where needed/requested.

Alternative icons (http://i.imgur.com/xj507qf.png)

Let me know what you guys think of this below, and whether you will download this when it goes on Cydia for free. Thanks for reading!

vcao
Aug 23, 2013, 03:08 PM
so simple. its genius.

haydn!
Aug 23, 2013, 03:23 PM
To be fair, they look pretty good. Except one, game centre. I really don't get why people don't get it's not a game, hence why the icon isn't of some generic gamer type thing. You've made it look like a darts game!

Hook1903
Aug 23, 2013, 03:24 PM
I like weather,game center icons.App/itunes store and videos icons better than current ones(colour scheme)but safari icon need a redesing,i think.

Cougarcat
Aug 23, 2013, 03:27 PM
It's better (especially memos––nice). But my problem wasn't that they weren't flat enough, it's the ugly gradients (which you've inadvertently fixed) and the garish colors.

pickaxe
Aug 23, 2013, 03:30 PM
See now this I can get behind. These icons are actually uniform. The OS is "officially" about getting rid of depth and adornments yet half the icons have faux-depth effects and almost all of them have those tacky gradients.

cobbyco
Aug 23, 2013, 03:31 PM
Except one, game centre. I really don't get why people don't get it's not a game, hence why the icon isn't of some generic gamer type thing. You've made it look like a darts game!

I've heard this several times before, and you do have a point. My only problem is that I hate the current 'bubbles' design of both the icon and the app. Until I can think of something else to represent the social aspects of the app, I am falling back onto the darts board. It is a change I am considering making to the icon at some point, but we'll see what others think about it first before re-redesigning it.

cmichaelb
Aug 23, 2013, 03:36 PM

I was thinking to myself about the icons in iOS 7, and I realized how flat they are now in comparison to iOS 6. However, I still thought that Apple could have gone flatter and still made it look good. After all, the icons found in Siri and Settings (as of beta 5) are very flat, mostly consisting of a plain background and a white image. I wanted to see what the iOS 7 icons would look like in that style (no gradients/textures etc.) so inevitably I opened up MS paint and had a go at it. After realizing I quite liked the icons, I started to refine them and neaten them up a bit. This is the result (left = current, right = 'flat'):

Image (http://s17.postimg.org/72h6waegv/Flat_Pack_for_i_OS_7_comparison.png)
Things to note:

Some of the icons have had major redesigns, including Game Center, Newsstand and Voice Memos.
Clock and Maps have had no changes done to them, while Calculator has had a very minor colour change.

I've decided that, provided I get enough positive feedback from you guys, I will be making this into a free Cydia theme for all iOS 7 devices (when the OS gets jailbroken). There will be alternative icons (if you request them) that will override the standard set of icons, such as a Safari icon without the border. Don't forget, I've still yet to finalize all the icons so I will be making small changes where needed/requested.

Let me know what you guys think of this below, and whether you would download this if it were on Cydia for free. Thanks for reading!

Your game center icon is actually an improvement. News stand, I understand what you were going for, but it looks too much like a flag.

Otherwise, nice work, just not my taste. Still, you did a nice job, especially using MS Paint.

cobbyco
Aug 23, 2013, 03:47 PM
Your game center icon is actually an improvement. Otherwise, nice work, just not my taste.

You might like this then:http://s22.postimg.org/4obq8p1xd/Game_Center_256.png
(I forgot to round off the corners)

----------

News stand, I understand what you were going for, but it looks too much like a flag.

How did I not see that before...

zbarvian
Aug 23, 2013, 03:48 PM
Too reductive. What are the merits of flat design in your eyes? Soon enough there aren't going to be professional visual artists, instead a bunch of armchair designers working on MS Paint.

apollo1444
Aug 23, 2013, 03:51 PM
http://static4.fjcdn.com/comments/God+i+haven+t+noticed+that+horrible+_0a24ae961a606998234d7855173c26b2.jpg

Doublea6
Aug 23, 2013, 03:56 PM
Very good! Especially in Microsoft paint. I'm just trying to decide if it looks too cartoony for me. For me I dislike the inconsistency of ios 7. Some of the pages are white, some are black.

cobbyco
Aug 23, 2013, 04:00 PM
Too reductive. What are the merits of flat design in your eyes? Soon enough there aren't going to be professional visual artists, instead a bunch of armchair designers working on MS Paint.

Not everyone likes the same style of design. You can see that from the comments above: some people like it and some people don't.

What difference does it make if I used a $300 program suite or a free Windows add-on? Surely it's about the end result, not about the tools used to get there? Also, I'm not a professional designer selling my work to Apple or anything like that, and so I'm not trying to take over the world with flat design.

----------

Image (http://static4.fjcdn.com/comments/God+i+haven+t+noticed+that+horrible+_0a24ae961a606998234d7855173c26b2.jpg)

I laughed at that for at least a minute :)

Fair enough though, not everyone is a fan of that design style.

cmichaelb
Aug 23, 2013, 04:07 PM
You might like this then:Image (http://s22.postimg.org/4obq8p1xd/Game_Center_256.png)
(I forgot to round off the corners)

----------

How did I not see that before...

It's a great representation of a newspaper though. I'm not sure what else you could do.

cobbyco
Aug 23, 2013, 04:13 PM
It's a great representation of a newspaper though. I'm not sure what else you could do.

I might fill up more of the icon with lines of 'text', to make it a bit less flag-shaped. I'll try not to ruin it and post it tomorrow.

azjack
Aug 23, 2013, 05:49 PM
Some of those look pretty darn good. I wonder what US Airways might think of your Newstand icon?

charlituna
Aug 23, 2013, 06:03 PM
Not everyone likes the same style of design.

Very true.

For example I have no issue with most of the icons or the general style. I do think that the revised settings icon. I find the existing one too busy. I feel the same about the Newstand app. To me two 'magazines' would have gotten the idea across. The compass and stocks are too dark for my tastes. But I'm likely to shove them in a folder and forget them so whatever. And the Game Center apps are too vague and don't reflect what it does. Face off might make more sense to reflect the app purpose, taken perhaps from the iOS 6 challenges view

Naif1998
Aug 23, 2013, 06:17 PM
I hate the new logo of Game center, why does it have bubbles on it?

matttye
Aug 23, 2013, 06:40 PM
Have to say I prefer the Apple ones - sorry man.

I prefer the colours and the general design of most of the ones on the left.

ominx
Aug 23, 2013, 06:42 PM
I'm like these a lot. But I am more impressed by the fact that you did these in MS Paint without the use of layers. Nice work.

Gogurt48
Aug 23, 2013, 06:47 PM
For Game Center, how about a silhouette of a game controller?

http://www.the-tshirts.com/wp-content/uploads/images/340/Game-Controller-TShirts.jpg

ThisIsNotMe
Aug 23, 2013, 08:19 PM
Why does News Stand look like the American Flag???

ThisIsNotMe
Aug 23, 2013, 08:36 PM
Yes-Yes-Yes-No
Yes-Yes-Yes-Yes
Yes-Yes-Yes-No
No-Yes-Yes-Yes
Yes-No-Yes-Yes
Yes-Yes-Yes-Yes

Camera - Don't like the color
Game Center - Like the idea but something is off
News Stand - Why is it a gray American Flag?
Voice Memo - Color/White is meh

syd430
Aug 23, 2013, 10:17 PM
Your Settings icon is terrible imo. Too vague and too safe. I also dislike your Photos, Newsstand, Game Centre and Voice Memos icons as well.

djtech42
Aug 23, 2013, 10:51 PM

Image (http://www.the-tshirts.com/wp-content/uploads/images/340/Game-Controller-TShirts.jpg)

Not bad, but it reminds me of the Sega Genesis! (a.k.a. MegaDrive) haha

3 button controller :D

chrf097
Aug 23, 2013, 10:56 PM

I was thinking to myself about the icons in iOS 7, and I realized how flat they are now in comparison to iOS 6. However, I still thought that Apple could have gone flatter and still made it look good. After all, the icons found in Siri and Settings (as of beta 5) are very flat, mostly consisting of a plain background and a white image. I wanted to see what the iOS 7 icons would look like in that style (no gradients/textures etc.) so inevitably I opened up MS paint and had a go at it. After realizing I quite liked the icons, I started to refine them and neaten them up a bit. This is the result (left = current, right = 'flat'):

Image (http://s17.postimg.org/72h6waegv/Flat_Pack_for_i_OS_7_comparison.png)
Things to note:

Clock and Maps have had no changes done to them, while Calculator has had a very minor colour change and Reminders has had it's subtle texture removed.
The colours do look less childish on the device itself, in comparison to standard LCDs.

I've decided that, provided I get enough positive feedback from you guys, I will be making this into a free Cydia theme for all iOS 7 devices (when the OS gets jailbroken). There will be alternative icons (if you request them) that will override the standard set of icons, such as a Safari icon without the border. Don't forget, I've still yet to finalize all the icons so I will be making small changes where needed/requested.

Let me know what you guys think of this below, and whether you would download this if it were on Cydia for free. Thanks for reading!

I'm very impressed. Overall great job. I like the approach taken, but here's a few issues that I (personally) have:

The Red border on the calendar icon makes it hard to read the actual name of the day.
Settings and Newsstand still seem slightly uncomfortable. Settings should probably have a darker icon, and Newsstand doesn't really convey the app very well.
The Photos app icon is slightly awkward. Try using less vibrant, brighter colors, and maybe slight overlap.
The Microphone on the Voice Memos app is too fat/seems stretched.
The Mail icon in the dock looks a little unsettling. Maybe a small amount of gradients on the icons might work. I don't know, it might not, just a theory.

Otherwise, I love this. If this was a cydia theme for iOS 7 i'd download it definitely, hell i'd probably even pay for it. Really well done! :D Much better than any other iOS 7 redesign i've seen.

cmichaelb
Aug 23, 2013, 11:44 PM
I might fill up more of the icon with lines of 'text', to make it a bit less flag-shaped. I'll try not to ruin it and post it tomorrow.

I'll check back :cool:

Virginaustralia
Aug 23, 2013, 11:56 PM
Yeah i dont think it would be very fair if newsstand had an american flag on it.

Doublea6
Aug 24, 2013, 12:20 AM
Yeah i dont think it would be very fair if newsstand had an american flag on it.

It's not suppose to be a flag, just happened.

Virginaustralia
Aug 24, 2013, 12:57 AM
It's not suppose to be a flag, just happened.

Of course it did, of course it did.

cobbyco
Aug 24, 2013, 04:40 AM
Updated with some minor changes here and there. Keep the suggestions coming!

----------

Of course it did, of course it did.

Considering I'm from the UK, I don't think so.

fullauto
Aug 24, 2013, 04:48 AM
I bet they tried to go completely flat. IMO having that slight gradient is needed to give just a little bit of depth and lift from the background. Really like your icons though.

----------

Looking forward to seeing a flatter Remote app + icon. Blue with a white circle and blue play symbol, or reversed - white icon with blue circle and white play symbol.

cobbyco
Aug 24, 2013, 04:57 AM
Looking forward to seeing a flatter Remote app + icon. Blue with a white circle and blue play symbol, or reversed - white icon with blue circle and white play symbol.

Wow, I somehow completely forgot about Apple's App Store Apps. Seems like I've got a lot more work to do :)

Sirious
Aug 24, 2013, 04:57 AM
I never knew MS paint could do all that!

I loved Apples new icon set, and I love yours too.

Macman45
Aug 24, 2013, 05:22 AM
The text in the edited versions stands out better than the current "Flat" icons that are in use now...They are easier to read, and somehow better defined. I like them:)

adildacoolset
Aug 24, 2013, 05:36 AM
These icons are worse than the current ones. Sorry.

ValSalva
Aug 24, 2013, 07:53 AM
What are you going to do with these icons once iOS7 is released? Make them available for jailbroken phones? Or are you just doing this for fun?

MarcBook
Aug 24, 2013, 08:08 AM
I generally like them, although I think Newsstand is fine as it is and the second Game Center (with the controller icon) is much better.

I still don't understand why Apple decided to go with such tacky and amateurish gradients in most of the icons. It doesn't bother me too much day-to-day, but when I stop and actually analyse them, it pains me.

cobbyco
Aug 24, 2013, 09:12 AM
What are you going to do with these icons once iOS7 is released? Make them available for jailbroken phones? Or are you just doing this for fun?

I'll be making a free theme on Cydia once iOS 7 is released and Jailbroken.

----------

...and the second Game Center (with the controller icon) is much better.

Then it's settled. I'll be making a new icon based on a controller. I want you guys to pick a colour for the icon, so here's the ones I'm offering to do:
1. Green background, white controller
2. White background, green controller
3. Purple background, white controller
4. White background, purple controller
5. White background, blue controller (already a lot of blue icons though)

The green will be the one used at the moment, the purple will be the one used in Game Center's UI, and the blue will be the one used in the Weather/Safari/Videos icons. Which colour scheme do you all want?

Paddle1
Aug 24, 2013, 09:37 AM
Why is there a phone app on an iPod?

cobbyco
Aug 24, 2013, 09:50 AM
Why is there a phone app on an iPod?

It's just there to show I've made that icon. That's also why Cydia is there.

myrtlebee
Aug 24, 2013, 12:55 PM
Looks pretty good, but the beige in Maps should be the same gray as Settings to keep a consistent color scheme. Also, the shape of the color elements in photos seems off. Perhaps a segmented circle would do. I'm glad to see you've done away with depth shadows -- especially in the tabs of Contacts, as they are skeumorphic and not flat.

cobbyco
Aug 24, 2013, 01:13 PM
...the beige in Maps should be the same gray as Settings to keep a consistent color scheme.

It won't be the same colour as the one used in the Maps app, and to be honest I don't really care about that. It shall be done for you in the next update (which at this rate could possibly be in the next few hours).

Bacong
Aug 24, 2013, 02:16 PM
the calendar icon is beautiful and didn't need changing. I do like the app store icon better though.

cobbyco
Aug 24, 2013, 04:08 PM
Update 2 is here! If you're wondering, Game Center is now based off the MFi controller image (http://photos.appleinsider.com/13.06.12-MFi_Controller.jpg).

myrtlebee
Aug 24, 2013, 04:19 PM
Awesome job -- perhaps the Game Center App could be iTunes Store purple instead of green for further visual balance

Paddle1
Aug 24, 2013, 04:34 PM
Game Center shouldn't be so green, it isn't as important as Phone or Messages.

cobbyco
Aug 24, 2013, 04:41 PM
Game Center shouldn't be so green, it isn't as important as Phone or Messages.

How about the purple used in the app's UI?

Paddle1
Aug 24, 2013, 05:08 PM
How about the purple used in the app's UI?

That might work better.

cobbyco
Aug 25, 2013, 09:00 AM
Update 3 is done! I've changed Game Center's colour as suggested, but the green version still exists in the alternatives.

Tyler23
Aug 25, 2013, 09:20 AM
All of the red looks terrible.

Weather, App Store and iTunes Store are the only ones I feel are improvements over the current ones designed by Apple.

dcp10
Aug 25, 2013, 11:31 AM
You're thinking too literal, especially with the Game Center icon. The name already implies games. But unlike the Apple designed icon yours does nothing to convey the role the cloud plays in bringing players together.

Design can be both simple to provide necessary information, or more complex to also include an emotional connection as well. A good example might be Toyotas logo. I doubt many people realize that it's intent is to

"symbolize the unification of the hearts of our customers and the heart of Toyota products. The background space represents Toyota's technological advancement and the boundless opportunities ahead."

I can't say Apple is more or less successful with there attempts, but I suspect this approach is a prime reason for some of the dissatisfaction expressed on these boards.

Just my opinion.

Gogurt48
Aug 25, 2013, 12:13 PM
I really like your photos icon because it resembles a camera aperture. Have you considered making the colored panels a little translucent, like Apple did with theirs? That might look nice. Or it might wreck the aperture look. It would be interesting to see, though.

cobbyco
Aug 25, 2013, 12:20 PM
You're thinking too literal, especially with the Game Center icon. The name already implies games. But unlike the Apple designed icon yours does nothing to convey the role the cloud plays in bringing players together.

Design can be both simple to provide necessary information, or more complex to also include an emotional connection as well. A good example might be Toyotas logo. I doubt many people realize that it's intent is to

"symbolize the unification of the hearts of our customers and the heart of Toyota products. The background space represents Toyota's technological advancement and the boundless opportunities ahead."

I can't say Apple is more or less successful with there attempts, but I suspect this approach is a prime reason for some of the dissatisfaction expressed on these boards.

Just my opinion.

While I do agree that icons such as Game Center are perhaps a bit too literal, and that specifically Game Center doesn't convey the app's purpose well, I'm not changing it.
The general consumers don't tend to appreciate images for their deeper meaning: they recognise them simply for their face value and consumers just use the image as a way to identify a specific brand or app or whatever. Apps such as Safari do have icons that have meaning behind them (to navigate the web, for example) but are also easily distinguishable and recognisable which is what makes the icons 'successful'.
My problem with Game Center specifically is that while it does in ways have deeper meaning behind the icon (the bubbles overlapping represent bringing together players) the image itself is not recognisable enough and just doesn't stand out against the other icons.
When designing an icon, I feel the image's ability to stand out from the crowd is slightly more important due to the fact that's what the general consumer tends to appreciate more. The controller has some relevance to the app, but importantly will be recognised.

And let's face it: designing an app icon that's distinguishable, relevant and meaningful is difficult. In my opinion, Apple didn't succeed with Game Center.

----------

Have you considered making the colored panels a little translucent, like Apple did with theirs? That might look nice. Or it might wreck the aperture look. It would be interesting to see, though.

I think it will be difficult to pull off a fully flat design with Photos that also incorporates transparency. And I think you're right in saying it could weaken the aperture effect of the icon.

And that you can't do transparency in MS Paint :)

Gogurt48
Aug 25, 2013, 12:32 PM
I think it will be difficult to pull off a fully flat design with Photos that also incorporates transparency. And I think you're right in saying it could weaken the aperture effect of the icon.

And that you can't do transparency in MS Paint :)

True. Have you tried it without the thin white line separating the petals?

Also, I think you might be taking the word "flat" too literally. I don't think it means an image has to be literally two dimensional. Subtle gradients and subtle shading can do wonders to bring a "flat" icon to life.

http://lioven.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/ios7icons.jpg.png

(I don't like the Safari icon there, but the other three are beautiful.)

cobbyco
Aug 25, 2013, 12:59 PM
I think you might be taking the word "flat" too literally. I don't think it means an image has to be literally two dimensional. Subtle gradients and subtle shading can do wonders to bring a "flat" icon to life.

Image (http://lioven.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/ios7icons.jpg.png)

(I don't like the Safari icon there, but the other three are beautiful.)

I agree. Those icons do look very, very nice. Gradients and drop shadows, when used correctly, give great results.

However, the design style I was going for was the fully flat, almost overly consistent look used in the beta 5/6 Settings app. I don't think I'm the right person to successfully pull off a design like in the image above.

Gogurt48
Aug 25, 2013, 01:04 PM
I agree. Those icons do look very, very nice. Gradients and drop shadows, when used correctly, give great results.

However, the design style I was going for was the fully flat, almost overly consistent look used in the beta 5/6 Settings app. I don't think I'm the right person to successfully pull off a design like in the image above.

Me either. Man, I wish I could. Then, like you, I'd do more than just complain, I'd come up with something better. (Or, at least something I, personally, like better).

I look at those icons and I want to scream, "Hey, Apple! Look! Flat doesn't have to be ugly!"

vcao
Aug 25, 2013, 02:28 PM
looks like flaticons...

cobbyco
Aug 28, 2013, 08:47 AM
Updated today with a few new icons and a couple of small changes. If you want to see some minor changes to the flat icons, request them!

Paddle1
Aug 28, 2013, 10:50 PM
It seems more consistent in a way...

Joe HS
Aug 29, 2013, 09:51 AM
Icons can still be flatter than in iOS 6 without losing gradients, which help make them feel warm and relatable.

http://i43.tinypic.com/15q5e6v.png

haydn!
Aug 29, 2013, 11:29 AM
Icons can still be flatter than in iOS 6 without losing gradients, which help make them feel warm and relatable.

http://i43.tinypic.com/15q5e6v.png

The colour choices there are pretty awful. Looks drab and miserable.

cobbyco
Aug 29, 2013, 11:35 AM
Image (http://oi43.tinypic.com/15q5e6v.jpg)

Looks nice, but the colours seem almost too bland.

Anyway, as I said above, that isn't the look I'm going for.

mattburley7
Aug 29, 2013, 08:32 PM
any chance of some icons changing in the GM version? i thought i read somewhere they rushed the changes of the icons out so iOS 7 would be ready for WWDC ?

WhackyNinja
Aug 29, 2013, 10:47 PM
Im kind of disappointed they didnt change the iMessage bubble to something like is in the bottom

http://dribbble.s3.amazonaws.com/users/139313/screenshots/1106457/messagedrib.jpg

cobbyco
Aug 30, 2013, 12:58 AM
any chance of some icons changing in the GM version? i thought i read somewhere they rushed the changes of the icons out so iOS 7 would be ready for WWDC ?

It's possible, but Apple are quite stubborn on their decisions so expect minor tweaks if anything.

Gogurt48
Aug 30, 2013, 04:01 AM

I wish, but I doubt it. They seem to think they've done a good job on the icons.

nancyfromafrica
Aug 30, 2013, 06:18 AM
I don;t think apple cares about the feedback's from its users they just following windows default.

mattburley7
Aug 30, 2013, 07:17 AM
Im kind of disappointed they didnt change the iMessage bubble to something like is in the bottom

Image (http://dribbble.s3.amazonaws.com/users/139313/screenshots/1106457/messagedrib.jpg)

that looks great! i like the icons enough how they are but any changes would be welcome as well.

WhackyNinja
Aug 30, 2013, 07:38 AM
that looks great! i like the icons enough how they are but any changes would be welcome as well.

Yes! I mean I like the iMessage icon as well but it would be cool if they get that bubble icon.

Sodner
Aug 30, 2013, 07:44 AM
Very nice actually. Two suggestions. Game Center isn't a game, it's more a score center. Perhaps build the icon around the idea of a score board? Also the newsstand icon is off. First it looks like a flag, and it gives no indication of magazines which is what it most people use it for.

All others are really good.

cobbyco
Aug 30, 2013, 01:01 PM
Game Center isn't a game, it's more a score center. Perhaps build the icon around the idea of a score board?

People seemed to like the controller as it represents games as a whole, but you're definitely right in saying that it doesn't represent the actual purpose of the app. I'm thinking perhaps a podium with Podcasts-styled people on it?

Sodner
Aug 30, 2013, 07:31 PM
People seemed to like the controller as it represents games as a whole, but you're definitely right in saying that it doesn't represent the actual purpose of the app. I'm thinking perhaps a podium with Podcasts-styled people on it?

Man that sounds perfect!!!! 1st 2nd 3rd place. Exactly!!!!

cobbyco
Sep 1, 2013, 10:39 AM
Updated today with a fresh batch of App Store icons, as well as a few minor changes.

It would be great if you guys could suggest some App Store icons for me to flatten! Preferably popular apps such as Twitter, and no games for now please.

cobbyco
Sep 2, 2013, 03:23 PM
Update 6 is done, with new 3rd party icons, redesigned Game Center icon and a poll. Again, if you want an icon 'flattened', suggest it!

Markyyy
Sep 2, 2013, 03:30 PM
The podium for the game centre icon is a FANTASTIC idea! I hope Apple adopts it! It makes so much sense! You haven't executed the idea that well, but the idea of a podium is great so well done :) APPLE! LOOK OVER HERE!

Liquidizer
Sep 2, 2013, 03:39 PM
Update 6 is done, with new 3rd party icons, redesigned Game Center icon and a poll. Again, if you want an icon 'flattened', suggest it!

Could you flatten Paper by Fiftythree's icon? It'd be great to see what you can do with it, I'm loving all the other icons you've made :)

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/paper-by-fiftythree/id506003812?mt=8

cobbyco
Sep 2, 2013, 03:49 PM
Could you flatten Paper by Fiftythree's icon? It'd be great to see what you can do with it, I'm loving all the other icons you've made :)

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/paper-by-fiftythree/id506003812?mt=8

That is a very interesting icon, and no doubt I'll have some trouble with flattening it. I'll try my best not to ruin it!

cobbyco
Sep 3, 2013, 09:58 AM
Updated with 3 new icons. Thanks for the suggestion Liquidizer!

Liquidizer
Sep 3, 2013, 11:38 AM

Awesome icon, thanks!

iCarabma
Sep 3, 2013, 12:21 PM

Just a general really good job. Even in examples that I don't like over the originals I like where your head is at.

- The Apple Store icon is so good. Like most really good designs it seems obvious and simple after you look at it. I'm going to be disappointed when they don't use it.

- the podcast icon is nice update, but I think they have to rethink it from the ground up. In fact, I bet they have. I'd be willing to bet the reason the recorder icon is not a microphone like you have made is because the podcast will be.

- For the record I mostly really like Apples new icons. After the initial shock has worn, I'm quite fond of most of them. Newsstand is one of my least faves. It's the only one that still looks like it would be more at home on android to me.

Your newsstand misses too, in my opinion. It's a tough nut to crack. Part of the problem is yours leans into newspaper, when I suspect most people will use this app for magazines (if at all).

I'm not a designer, but I would think you would want something that evoked looking at an actual newsstand. Maybe the outline of a traditional city newsstand.

Or a simplified take on rows of mags and papers. The one thing the current icon has going for it is that at least it's clear what it is.

Anyway. Thanks for using you skills to give us all something to have an actual constructive thread about.

cobbyco
Sep 3, 2013, 01:12 PM
Just a general really good job. Even in examples that I don't like over the originals I like where your head is at.

- The Apple Store icon is so good. Like most really good designs it seems obvious and simple after you look at it. I'm going to be disappointed when they don't use it.

- the podcast icon is nice update, but I think they have to rethink it from the ground up. In fact, I bet they have. I'd be willing to bet the reason the recorder icon is not a microphone like you have made is because the podcast will be.

- For the record I mostly really like Apples new icons. After the initial shock has worn, I'm quite fond of most of them. Newsstand is one of my least faves. It's the only one that still looks like it would be more at home on android to me.

Your newsstand misses too, in my opinion. It's a tough nut to crack. Part of the problem is yours leans into newspaper, when I suspect most people will use this app for magazines (if at all).

I'm not a designer, but I would think you would want something that evoked looking at an actual newsstand. Maybe the outline of a traditional city newsstand.

Or a simplified take on rows of mags and papers. The one thing the current icon has going for it is that at least it's clear what it is.

Anyway. Thanks for using you skills to give us all something to have an actual constructive thread about.

Podcasts - I think an overall redesign is required for the icon, so I'll have a think about what I could do with it. You could be right in saying Apple will be using a microphone for the updated icon, but I don't think I'll be going down that route. Of course, I'm not going to redesign it just for the sake of it.
Newsstand - This has proven a difficult icon to design, but your idea sounds great! I'll try it out sometime this week and post the results.

And thanks for the feedback: it really helps with the making of the icons.

cobbyco
Sep 3, 2013, 03:20 PM
Really interesting poll results so far. It seems like the Darts icon will become the default one with the Controller icon being the alternative, but who knows? Perhaps the results will soon change...

Keep the votes coming in! I'll count the results on 10th September (5PM BST/9AM Pacific).

Carlanga
Sep 3, 2013, 03:55 PM
If you are making a game controller game centre icon it should be based on the only official apple controller and not a Wii classic controller.
Here is a pic:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/Pippin-Atmark-Console-Set.png

HussamRaed
Sep 3, 2013, 04:01 PM
I think the idea and the philosophy behind the original Game Center icon is that it was made with those 3D bubbles to show how games in the App Store are lively and moving, not static as some of the other reproductive apps, hence the 3D Bubbles they chose. Making the Game center icon flat as the rest of the other stock apps would also eliminate the differentiator between those two categories (Games and reproductivity apps), making it harder to distinguish between them.

The original icon might not be the best looking thing in the world, but it fits perfectly.

cobbyco
Sep 3, 2013, 04:09 PM
If you are making a game controller game centre icon it should be based on the only official apple controller and not a Wii classic controller.
Here is a pic:
Image (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/Pippin-Atmark-Console-Set.png)

Thankfully this exists...
Update 2 is here! If you're wondering, Game Center is now based off the MFi controller image (http://photos.appleinsider.com/13.06.12-MFi_Controller.jpg).

Sodner
Sep 3, 2013, 04:19 PM
Hey that Game Center icon came out perfect. Great Job. Apple should seriously switch to that over the bubbles. Never did get that one.

kmj2318
Sep 3, 2013, 04:33 PM
Let me know what you guys think of this below, and whether you would download this when it goes on Cydia for free. Thanks for reading!

This is coming together very nicely:D

If you care, here are a few of my nitpicks:

- The day on the calendar icon looks a little too thin. Maybe just because this is online, but I feel like it's less legible than the official iOS 7 version. Maybe bumping up the weight a notch would help. I can't tell but it looks like it's either Helvetica Thin or Ultra Light. On iOS7 it's actually in Helvetica Light.

- The grey background on the Remote icon is a little clashing. I think white would work better, seeing how it looks on the new Find My iPhone icon.

- I think official iBooks icon (from Mavericks) is better in that it looks like a book. I understand that yours is basically how bookmarks look now, but I don't think that the system iconography necessarily has to be consistent with the app icons (seeing how none of them are anyway). And perhaps, maybe bookmarks and iBooks shouldn't look similar anyway as to not confuse two unrelated things.

- The 45 degree line in the Find My iPhone icon is sorely missed.

- The Find My Friend's icon retains too much of it's old essence. I expect the new one to have more pop like the rest of iOS 7, also given that it's a social app; we'll find out in next week though.

- The positioning of the Camera icon bothers me. I like how you're trying to fit the inner circle to the grid, but I don't think it works. I think grids are meant to be used for general positioning, and not specific details. Either way, design is about compromise: I think you lose more by not having the camera centered than what you gain by having the circle centered.

I like how you're embracing the new grid system, which is something almost no mockups do.

Edit: Also, I really like what you did with the Voice Memos icon, I can see all the ways in which it lines up with the grid. :D I was thinking, the main part of the app has a black background, so I'm wondering how it would be with a black icon. There's not too many black icons as it is. The only problem is that black and red is a really harsh color combination imo.

cobbyco
Sep 4, 2013, 01:16 AM
This is coming together very nicely:D

If you care, here are a few of my nitpicks:

- The day on the calendar icon looks a little too thin. Maybe just because this is online, but I feel like it's less legible than the official iOS 7 version. Maybe bumping up the weight a notch would help. I can't tell but it looks like it's either Helvetica Thin or Ultra Light. On iOS7 it's actually in Helvetica Light.

- The grey background on the Remote icon is a little clashing. I think white would work better, seeing how it looks on the new Find My iPhone icon.

- I think official iBooks icon (from Mavericks) is better in that it looks like a book. I understand that yours is basically how bookmarks look now, but I don't think that the system iconography necessarily has to be consistent with the app icons (seeing how none of them are anyway). And perhaps, maybe bookmarks and iBooks shouldn't look similar anyway as to not confuse two unrelated things.

- The 45 degree line in the Find My iPhone icon is sorely missed.

- The Find My Friend's icon retains too much of it's old essence. I expect the new one to have more pop like the rest of iOS 7, also given that it's a social app; we'll find out in next week though.

- The positioning of the Camera icon bothers me. I like how you're trying to fit the inner circle to the grid, but I don't think it works. I think grids are meant to be used for general positioning, and not specific details. Either way, design is about compromise: I think you lose more by not having the camera centered than what you gain by having the circle centered.

I like how you're embracing the new grid system, which is something almost no mockups do.

Edit: Also, I really like what you did with the Voice Memos icon, I can see all the ways in which it lines up with the grid. :D I was thinking, the main part of the app has a black background, so I'm wondering how it would be with a black icon. There's not too many black icons as it is. The only problem is that black and red is a really harsh color combination imo.

Calendar - On the device, it's definitely legible. It's because I resized the screenshot to 70%. However, I don't know how I'm going to make that icon in the theme as I repositioned the day and the date, and the text is in white as opposed to it previously being in red...
Remote - I like the grey, but I'll make a white alternative for those who want it.
iBooks - The icon is based off a low-res icon found in iOS 7. I might consider changing it to the Mavericks one though.
Find my iPhone - This was a tough icon to make as I wanted to stay within the colour scheme Apple uses. I really didn't want to exclude the line from the icon but in the end I felt it just didn't look right. I'll try some things out with the icon and I'll hopefully post the results soon.
Find my Friends - Again, this is based off an icon found in iOS 7. Before I realised that icon existed I made the icon with a white background and a green foreground, but I switched to the colour scheme Apple used for it as I felt it looked a lot nicer. I want to try to keep the icons consistent with Apple's ones, so I don't think I'll be changing it anytime soon. Though I think Apple were kind of lazy with the icon as it looks the same colour as the leather iOS 6 one. They didn't think about why the icon used those colours...
Camera - I'm using the same positioning and size Apple used with their icon. I think because it has the circle directly in the middle of the icon, most of the focus is put on that which draws your attention away from the camera being postitioned higher. Personally, I don't ever notice the odd postitioning. I've had problems with postitioning in the other icons as well, and it's something I need to work on.
Voice Memos - Like you said, black and red wouldn't look right. Also, I wanted to make it the same colours as the camera icon as they are both recording apps. And I'm also pretty happy with how I managed to align it to the grid system :)

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try out some changes with the icons sometime this week.

cobbyco
Sep 8, 2013, 02:08 PM
I've got a small update almost ready for tomorrow. I'm going to be busy from now onwards, so I might only manage to make and alter icons once per week.

Please vote for Game Center if you haven't already! There's only a few days left before I stop counting results.

Also, please give more of your feedback on the icons. It really helps to improve the design of the icons!

sportsfrk214
Sep 9, 2013, 02:09 PM
Overall, really fantastic work here. I think iOS 7 overall looks pretty good, but you've effectively gotten rid of the few annoyances that were there, particularly the gradients. I'd pay for this theme.

I think it would be really cool if you could do icons for Tweetbot, Dropbox, and Google Maps. The icon you have for Apple Maps would be sufficient for Google Maps I think. Dropbox is already pretty flat so there's not much to do there. Tweetbot could just potentially use a generic Twitter icon, that could be used for any app that accesses Twitter.

Really nice work though, keep it up!

AppleFanatic10
Sep 9, 2013, 03:13 PM

Image (http://www.the-tshirts.com/wp-content/uploads/images/340/Game-Controller-TShirts.jpg)

I like it! :)

Markyyy
Sep 9, 2013, 04:45 PM
I sketched the GAME CENTRE podium idea out the way I'd want it to be.
(5th EDIT)
http://i41.tinypic.com/28km4va.jpg

myrtlebee
Sep 9, 2013, 06:09 PM
I sketched the GAME CENTRE podium idea out the way I'd want it to be. I like my design, but would rather some better colours. Here it is :)

Image (http://i41.tinypic.com/xcvw29.jpg) Image (http://i41.tinypic.com/qx3tqq.jpg)

Perfect for Halloween.

Zeeshee
Sep 9, 2013, 07:36 PM
People have so much free time

Defender2010
Sep 10, 2013, 10:18 AM
I really hope developers update their apps (and icons in particular) asap. They can be rather slow to adopt to Apples changes - just look how long some apps took to go retina or get updated for the iPhone 5 display!

rtimoff
Sep 10, 2013, 10:21 AM
http://timovijn.roon.io/shadow-ee
What you think about that project ?

cobbyco
Sep 10, 2013, 11:22 AM
http://timovijn.roon.io/shadow-ee
What you think about that project ?

The shadows are kinda weird, but I think the icons look quite nice.

cobbyco
Sep 10, 2013, 11:49 AM
Overall, really fantastic work here. I think iOS 7 overall looks pretty good, but you've effectively gotten rid of the few annoyances that were there, particularly the gradients. I'd pay for this theme.

I think it would be really cool if you could do icons for Tweetbot, Dropbox, and Google Maps. The icon you have for Apple Maps would be sufficient for Google Maps I think. Dropbox is already pretty flat so there's not much to do there. Tweetbot could just potentially use a generic Twitter icon, that could be used for any app that accesses Twitter.

Really nice work though, keep it up!

Google Maps - I'll do a seperate icon for this, though I might just base it off the Apple icon with Google graphics on top.
Dropbox - Icon seems easy enough to flatten.
Tweetbot - I think I might do a different icon, but I'm not sure. If people only use one Twitter app, is there any point?
I should have those done by Sunday. Thanks for the suggestions!

And if anyone is wondering, I'm not doing Skype or IGN as they are both flat and both fit the Grid System.

cobbyco
Sep 11, 2013, 02:24 PM
Updated today with new icons and a few updates. I'm trying to release updates about once a week now, but they should hopefully be larger updates with more new App Store icons.

cobbyco
Sep 12, 2013, 02:36 PM
I sketched the GAME CENTER podium idea out the way I'd want it to be.

I don't like your icon, but not for the reason you might think. Take a look at this:
http://i.imgur.com/ZtJmwA1.png

What I've done is (roughly) overlaid parts of the iOS 7 icon Grid System over your icon. My problem is that no part of your icon aligns with this grid, whereas all of the other icons in iOS 7 do.
I'd love to see if you could reshape and re-postition the podium to fit the Grid System. Make sure none of the podium goes outside of that outer circle (the reflection is fine), and also you could align the bottom of the podium to the bottom green line I drew on. Use this (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Tc3aDx4OgRs/UcI1Ggpu-sI/AAAAAAAAAew/Q2LmiccWCWQ/s1600/IOS7-Icon-Grid-System.png) as a guideline. This (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/ios7newicons.jpg) could also help to see how other icons make use of it.

Markyyy
Sep 12, 2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks, but I sketched it in Brushes for iPad just so I could show the concept. It is not by any means a well-thought out design. Just a tidy sketch of the podium idea for fun. Would be cool to see your take on it, but with more colour.

cobbyco
Sep 16, 2013, 02:48 PM
Updated today with new icons and a few minor changes. I did Dropbox but I made a mess of it, so I might give that another go soon. Though apparently, they're ready to release a new app and flat icon within the next few weeks. I'll also get on with a few of the other suggestions like Google Maps and Tweetbot.

I will be theming the icons within the OS as well. This means in the Share menu, Settings app, Siri and all the other places beginning with 's' that you encounter the iOS 7 icons.

chrf097
Sep 16, 2013, 02:56 PM
big post; deleted the content

I've been following you ever since you made the first alternate game center logo and I have to say, I am EXTREMELY impressed now.

Honestly this is a theme I'd be willing to pay for. When iOS 7 becomes jailbroken you can believe me this will be a theme I download.

Only thing I have to comment on is the camera icon doesn't really go with the red background, and I'm not the biggest fan of the hockey puck looking photos app but over all very well done.

cobbyco
Sep 16, 2013, 03:07 PM
I've been following you ever since you made the first alternate game center logo and I have to say, I am EXTREMELY impressed now.

Honestly this is a theme I'd be willing to pay for. When iOS 7 becomes jailbroken you can believe me this will be a theme I download.

Only thing I have to comment on is the camera icon doesn't really go with the red background, and I'm not the biggest fan of the hockey puck looking photos app but over all very well done.

Thanks very much! :)

Camera - I did make a grey version of the icon for those who didn't like the red (in the 'alternatives' section), but I might make another colour choice to replace the grey one. Speaking of the Camera icon, I literally just realised my icon hasn't ever been properly aligned!
Photos - I like the icon I did, but I realise other may not (hence why I make alternative icons). If you can think of a design or image I could use, then I could make a separate icon based around that.

chrf097
Sep 16, 2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks very much! :)

Camera - I did make a grey version of the icon for those who didn't like the red (in the 'alternatives' section), but I might make another colour choice to replace the grey one. Speaking of the Camera icon, I literally just realised my icon hasn't ever been properly aligned!
Photos - I like the icon I did, but I realise other may not (hence why I make alternative icons). If you can think of a design or image I could use, then I could make a separate icon based around that.

The photos one isn't bad at all, I think it's just the colors are too bright, try toning them down a bit and just see, it may look better with the brightness they're at.

I didn't see the alternative camera icon and I really like that one too.

Paddle1
Sep 16, 2013, 04:42 PM
I don't like your icon, but not for the reason you might think. Take a look at this:
Image (http://i.imgur.com/ZtJmwA1.png)

What I've done is (roughly) overlaid parts of the iOS 7 icon Grid System over your icon. My problem is that no part of your icon aligns with this grid, whereas all of the other icons in iOS 7 do.
I'd love to see if you could reshape and re-postition the podium to fit the Grid System. Make sure none of the podium goes outside of that outer circle (the reflection is fine), and also you could align the bottom of the podium to the bottom green line I drew on. Use this (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Tc3aDx4OgRs/UcI1Ggpu-sI/AAAAAAAAAew/Q2LmiccWCWQ/s1600/IOS7-Icon-Grid-System.png) as a guideline. This (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/ios7newicons.jpg) could also help to see how other icons make use of it.
Videos, Reminders, Notes, and other icons don't completely align to the grid, there is no need to be mean. Plus, the heads are just about as aligned as the Contacts icon.

TrenttonY
Sep 16, 2013, 05:32 PM
What's the wallpaper in update nine?

cobbyco
Sep 16, 2013, 11:26 PM
What's the wallpaper in update nine?

One of the new iOS 7 wallpapers.

TC03
Sep 17, 2013, 02:57 AM
Let me know what you guys think of this below, and whether you will download this when it goes on Cydia for free. Thanks for reading!Why do you think 'flat' and 'minimalistic' are interchangeable?

You didn't only flatten the icons, you dumbed them down. An example is the removal of the dashes in the Safari icon.

I like flat but I also like details. Bring back the details.

cobbyco
Sep 17, 2013, 12:09 PM
Why do you think 'flat' and 'minimalistic' are interchangeable?

You didn't only flatten the icons, you dumbed them down. An example is the removal of the dashes in the Safari icon.

I like flat but I also like details. Bring back the details.

I removed detail where I thought it wasn't necessary. Safari is one of the more extreme cases of this.
I also explicitly stated that I was aiming for the same simplicity used in the icons found in Settings and Siri. In some cases that means removing small details from the image to achieve that more minimalistic appearance.

If you don't like the icons, don't download them.

xAnthony
Sep 17, 2013, 10:25 PM
I love this!

cobbyco
Sep 20, 2013, 12:33 PM
I've been working on a Camera redesign; what do you think I could change to improve it?
http://i.imgur.com/LnKos4U.png

With parts of the Grid System overlaid:
http://i.imgur.com/bp9d6sg.png

darngooddesign
Sep 20, 2013, 12:55 PM
I hate the new logo of Game center, why does it have bubbles on it?

Because that's the app's interface, representing groups/circles of gamers.

----------

Podcasts - I think an overall redesign is required for the icon, so I'll have a think about what I could do with it...

Currently the rings have almost the same visual weight as the person's head. I'd lighten them up to give more of a visual difference.

cobbyco
Sep 20, 2013, 01:33 PM
Currently the rings have almost the same visual weight as the person's head. I'd lighten them up to give more of a visual difference.

It shall be done. Currently the icon is just the Game Center icon with a person rather than a dart, so a design tweak is required.

I'm interested as to what Apple will do with it. Will they stick with the same design as before like Find my Friends, or will they change it completely like Voice Memos?

darngooddesign
Sep 20, 2013, 01:55 PM
Is there a way to get these icons on the phone?

cobbyco
Sep 20, 2013, 02:04 PM
Is there a way to get these icons on the phone?

Not until it's jailbroken.
There was a way before where for some of the icons (including some App Store ones) you could use a Web App shortcut to 'link' you to the app. However, despite that feature being there since the very early days of iOS, Apple removed it in iOS 7 beta 5.

What you're actually seeing in these screenshots is just a page of completely useless, blank Web Apps.

cobbyco
Sep 26, 2013, 02:50 PM
Update 10 is done, with a few new icons as well as a refreshed camera icon. Enjoy!

chrf097
Sep 26, 2013, 05:01 PM
Update 10:
New icons:
- AirPort Utility
- Tweetbot (based on upcoming icon update)
- 4oD
Updated icons:
- Camera has gone under a complete redesign.
- Facebook has been tweaked to make the 'f' taller, like it should be.
- Flickr has been tweaked to better fit the Grid System.

Let me know what you guys think of this below, and whether you will download this when it goes on Cydia for free. Thanks for reading!

Love the new camera icon.

One thing that didn't really bother me before, but kind of does now, is the voice memos icon. It looks a little fat and bulbous, but that's just my critique.

Do you think you could mock up a tumblr and netflix icon?

I seriously love this theme (only iOS 7 reimagine that I like) and can't wait to download it!

cobbyco
Sep 26, 2013, 11:33 PM
Love the new camera icon.

One thing that didn't really bother me before, but kind of does now, is the voice memos icon. It looks a little fat and bulbous, but that's just my critique.

I seriously love this theme (only iOS 7 reimagine that I like) and can't wait to download it!

Thanks!
Yep, I'll get those icons done for you over the weekend, and I'll have a look over Voice Memos as well.

cobbyco
Sep 29, 2013, 01:30 PM
I've decided to re-render ALL of the icons. The icons will still be made on MS Paint at high resolution (512*512), but the scaling will now be handled by GIMP so that the edges look MUCH smoother (edges on shapes, especially circles, will look much less pixelated).

The next update will focus on these smoothing improvements, as well as include a few new icons (Tumblr and Netflix were requested). Look out for that in the next few days.

cobbyco
Oct 2, 2013, 04:57 PM
Sup,
I've finished rendering all the icons again, and I'm just putting the finishing touches on for showing them tomorrow. In the process, I made a few changes to some of the icons to ensure they properly fit the Grid System. Most notably, Messages has had it's bubble made smaller as before the icon didn't fit the grid in any way (why did Apple design it like that?).

I've also had the chance to make two new icons: Dropbox and Tumblr. I'm still working on some other icons like Netflix and Google Maps, so expect them some time soon.

Basically, look out for another update tomorrow.

Thanks.

cobbyco
Oct 3, 2013, 10:11 AM
Update is done. That took longer than expected.

AQUADock
Oct 3, 2013, 11:03 AM
I like it, i wonder why Apple didn't go for this better look.

TL24
Oct 3, 2013, 11:25 AM
This is how Apple should have made the icons to begin with! Loving the icons, I'll download this theme for sure when we get a JB for iOS 7!

cobbyco
Oct 12, 2013, 07:13 AM
12th update is finished. What does everyone think of the Shazam [RED] icon?

cobbyco
Oct 17, 2013, 03:21 PM
Finally Contacts isn't an address book! What does everyone think of the 13th update?

djtech42
Oct 17, 2013, 04:02 PM
The icons are really coming together. I still don't like the black around the Chrome logo. It should be white.

cobbyco
Oct 17, 2013, 04:08 PM
I still don't like the black around the Chrome logo. It should be white.

I'll make an alternative version with a white border, and it'll be included in the next update (weekend or mid-next week). Also, thanks for the feedback!

cobbyco
Oct 23, 2013, 02:13 PM
Update done. I've still got a lot of work to do, including the rest of the iWork and iLife icons.

As requested, I've added a white version of Google Chrome in the Alternatives.

pickaxe
Oct 24, 2013, 03:51 AM
These icons are so good!

cobbyco
Nov 6, 2013, 01:22 PM
I'm back, and update 15 is done. Check out that new Safari icon!

DramaLLama
Nov 6, 2013, 01:50 PM
So you're making these ahead of an iOS 7 jailbreak, correct?

cobbyco
Nov 6, 2013, 01:56 PM
So you're making these ahead of an iOS 7 jailbreak, correct?

Yep, have been since the end of August really. I'm hoping the jailbreak will be ready by the end of 2013, and that I can release the theme as soon as possible after then.

That is, of course, if the jailbreak ever gets done. And if WinterBoard is updated to work with it. :)

cobbyco
Nov 10, 2013, 09:55 AM
If anyone wants to see what the theme originally looked like:
http://i.imgur.com/pIQmowD.png

Triangle Man
Nov 10, 2013, 10:16 PM
Why'd you shrink the bubble inside the Messages icon? Now it looks smaller than the rest of the stock icons.

Otherwise, I think you're doing a great job!

djtech42
Nov 10, 2013, 11:53 PM
Still not crazy about that photos icon, but the rest looks pretty good

cobbyco
Nov 11, 2013, 09:35 AM
Why'd you shrink the bubble inside the Messages icon? Now it looks smaller than the rest of the stock icons.

http://i.imgur.com/WR8WX3R.png

Also, you'll get used to it very quickly. The bubble in the old icon will start to look over-sized after using the theme for a while.

Triangle Man
Nov 17, 2013, 05:32 PM
Image (http://i.imgur.com/WR8WX3R.png)

Also, you'll get used to it very quickly. The bubble in the old icon will start to look over-sized after using the theme for a while.

Well, now you have to shrink the App Store, iTunes, Contacts, Clock, Photos, Settings, Voice Memos because the insides of those are too big according to your "over-sized" logic.

Make it one way or the other. Shrink them all or leave them all oversized.

cobbyco
Nov 20, 2013, 01:15 PM
Well, now you have to shrink the App Store, iTunes, Contacts, Clock, Photos, Settings, Voice Memos because the insides of those are too big according to your "over-sized" logic.

Make it one way or the other. Shrink them all or leave them all oversized.

I resized the bubble because it didn't fit the Grid System (look at the picture above), and so in order to fit it I made it smaller. Yes, there are other ways to align it to the grid, but seeing as I thought the bubble looked over-sized in the first place I decided smaller would be better. Like I've said, these icons aren't done yet, so I can still change them. In fact I was recently considering changing messages, so don't consider this the final icon.

The other icons you mentioned that are 'oversized' are different in that there are gaps and spaces in the image to let the background colour through. Messages' bubble is just one solid white mass, whereas in Photos (for example) there is space in the middle and separation lines between the pills to allow the white backdrop to pass through.

cobbyco
Nov 20, 2013, 03:23 PM
Update 16!

Because... choice.

cobbyco
Nov 21, 2013, 01:31 PM
It looks like if you voted in the previous poll you can't vote in the new poll. I've asked to get it fixed, but for now if you can't vote just give your opinion in the comments.

If you can vote then don't worry; this doesn't affect you.

SumYoungGai
Nov 21, 2013, 02:35 PM
I would definitely download this if it came available; they look fantastic! Good work

cobbyco
Nov 21, 2013, 03:01 PM
I would definitely download this if it came available; they look fantastic! Good work

Thanks! If you want a specific app icon flattened then just post it in the comments and I'll get round to doing it (no games or iPad-only apps).

I've finally gotten round to doing Netflix for you, so expect that in the update next week. Sorry that took so long! Also I'll redo Tumblr sometime this week to fit with their new slimmer 't' logo.

cobbyco
Dec 23, 2013, 12:00 PM
The theme will be releasing for free this January! Read the first post for more.

http://i.imgur.com/7CNFaFf.jpg

pickaxe
Dec 28, 2013, 09:04 AM
This looks so good. I can't wait! You're wonderfully talented.

lewismayell
Dec 28, 2013, 02:16 PM
Everything looks pretty much fine, but I think soundcloud and YouTube need cleaning up, they look abit rough

cobbyco
Dec 28, 2013, 09:33 PM
Everything looks pretty much fine, but I think soundcloud and YouTube need cleaning up, they look abit rough

Yea YouTube does need sorting out. I'll get round to doing that when I get home in a few weeks. SoundCloud was taken directly from the app itself (from the button in the top left) with no resizing or anything, and to me the icon looks fine... Am I missing something?

----------

This looks so good. I can't wait! You're wonderfully talented.

Thanks, I can't wait to release it!

lewismayell
Dec 29, 2013, 05:01 AM
Yea YouTube does need sorting out. I'll get round to doing that when I get home in a few weeks. SoundCloud was taken directly from the app itself (from the button in the top left) with no resizing or anything, and to me the icon looks fine... Am I missing something?

----------

Thanks, I can't wait to release it!

Perhaps it's my phone but it looks slightly misshapen

hackthatphone
Dec 29, 2013, 08:46 AM
Why does News Stand look like the American Flag???

It looks like a newspaper to me. I'd like to see what you think an American flag looks like.

cobbyco
Dec 29, 2013, 11:43 AM
It looks like a newspaper to me. I'd like to see what you think an American flag looks like.

It used to look a bit like an American flag back when I first showed off the theme (it was unintentional), but I've massively improved it since then.

That post was back in August anyways. I've progressed a lot since then.

Bonilla
Dec 29, 2013, 02:48 PM
Whats the name of the theme ? How can i found it on cydia ?

ios 7 theme ?
ios7 flattening?

Slumpey
Dec 29, 2013, 02:57 PM
Can't read can you?

If you look at the title it says "Coming in January". Last time I checked, it's still December

cobbyco
Dec 29, 2013, 10:50 PM
Whats the name of the theme ? How can i found it on cydia ?

It's not out yet, but when it is it will be called UltraFlat for iOS 7.

TL24
Dec 30, 2013, 10:01 PM
Seriously, I cannot wait for this theme! Mad props to you sir!

cobbyco
Dec 30, 2013, 11:25 PM
Seriously, I cannot wait for this theme! Mad props to you sir!

Not long now :D

BumpyFlatline
Dec 30, 2013, 11:30 PM
I'm not a themer but I gotta say, this looks sweet! Great job my friend. Very well done.

cobbyco
Dec 30, 2013, 11:37 PM
I'm not a themer but I gotta say, this looks sweet! Great job my friend. Very well done.

Thanks, I was expecting way more people to dislike it!

----------

By the way everyone, the theme won't just cover the Homescreen; other areas like in Settings and Siri also get the new icons. I should even be able to theme the Game Center pop-up as well!
I'll also fix a few minor things as well such as the Sounds icon in the Usage subsection of Settings (I'll replace it with the one used on the main Settings page, like it is in 7.1).

Basically, I want to be as thorough as possible with this theme. Look forward to it guys!

pickaxe
Jan 1, 2014, 08:05 AM
Thanks, I was expecting way more people to dislike it!

----------

By the way everyone, the theme won't just cover the Homescreen; other areas like in Settings and Siri also get the new icons. I should even be able to theme the Game Center pop-up as well!
I'll also fix a few minor things as well such as the Sounds icon in the Usage subsection of Settings (I'll replace it with the one used on the main Settings page, like it is in 7.1).

Basically, I want to be as thorough as possible with this theme. Look forward to it guys!

Sweet! Good luck man.

TL24
Jan 1, 2014, 03:06 PM
Has the theme been released? There's a theme out called Flat7 Theme?

chrf097
Jan 1, 2014, 04:05 PM
[CENTER][SIZE="5"]General update

I'm absolutely loving the project so far. They all look amazing.

Is it possible to get access to the individual icon files? For instance, some of my icons I want to change, but others I'd rather keep how they are. For instance, I want to use your Snapchat icon, but I want to keep my Facebook and Twitter icons I'm using and not have to replace them all.

Would that be ok if I could get my hands on say, just that icon?

Dundonik
Jan 1, 2014, 06:19 PM
I'm really looking forward to this release

cobbyco
Jan 1, 2014, 07:26 PM
I'm absolutely loving the project so far. They all look amazing.

Is it possible to get access to the individual icon files? For instance, some of my icons I want to change, but others I'd rather keep how they are. For instance, I want to use your Snapchat icon, but I want to keep my Facebook and Twitter icons I'm using and not have to replace them all.

Would that be ok if I could get my hands on say, just that icon?

I might be able to give you a few icons early if you're REALLY desperate (let's say a maximum of 3). But right now I can't give you anything; I'm away from home until next Thursday.

When the theme comes out, you could always go into the theme's folder with iFile and delete the folders of the icons you don't want to change (eg: delete the folder for Facebook). Or if you want to keep the files for another time you can just rename the folder (eg: add something like 'new' to the end of the folder name so it won't theme but you still have the icons).

goobot
Jan 1, 2014, 07:37 PM
My only suggestion would to be to make cydia's brown closer to what it currently is.

cobbyco
Jan 1, 2014, 09:04 PM
My only suggestion would to be to make cydia's brown closer to what it currently is.

I'm using the brown from the iOS 7 colour scheme (found in Calendar and Reminders apps). The lighter colour fits in much better with the rest of the icons.

rutiger
Jan 1, 2014, 09:14 PM
Looking forward to the release. The way some icons don't fit with the default theme (ie. Google apps) drives me nuts.

Dundonik
Jan 1, 2014, 09:15 PM
I'm using the brown from the iOS 7 colour scheme (found in Calendar and Reminders apps). The lighter colour fits in much better with the rest of the icons.

I know the title says coming January but is there a ETA? I'm really excited for this theme

cobbyco
Jan 1, 2014, 09:25 PM
I know the title says coming January but is there a ETA? I'm really excited for this theme

It really depends on how long it takes for me to finish up. I've still got all of the small stuff to do such as in Settings, and I don't know how long that could take. That's why I've only given 'January' as a release time.

Honestly though, I could just release it with only the Homescreen themed and then update it a few weeks later with everything else. That would probably mean a release mid-January. Should I do that instead?

----------

The way some icons don't fit with the default theme (ie. Google apps) drives me nuts.

Couldn't agree more :D

cobbyco
Jan 1, 2014, 09:51 PM
Has the theme been released? There's a theme out called Flat7 Theme?

Nope. Mine will be called UltraFlat for iOS 7 when it is released.

Though a few of the icons on Flat7 look slightly familiar...

chrf097
Jan 1, 2014, 11:12 PM
I might be able to give you a few icons early if you're REALLY desperate (let's say a maximum of 3). But right now I can't give you anything; I'm away from home until next Thursday.

When the theme comes out, you could always go into the theme's folder with iFile and delete the folders of the icons you don't want to change (eg: delete the folder for Facebook). Or if you want to keep the files for another time you can just rename the folder (eg: add something like 'new' to the end of the folder name so it won't theme but you still have the icons).

I can wait till the full release date.

The reason I ask for access to the icons individually is just because I hate dealing with Winterboard.

cobbyco
Jan 1, 2014, 11:25 PM
I can wait till the full release date.

The reason I ask for access to the icons individually is just because I hate dealing with Winterboard.

I can just give you the whole theme folder once it's been released. You can then just go through the folder and get all the icons you want out. After that you can manually theme them through iFunbox/SSH/whatever.

And if you want I can give you 3 icons of your choice early. Just tell me which 3 you want and remind me to give them to you on the 9th (when I get back)!

chrf097
Jan 2, 2014, 12:07 AM
I can just give you the whole theme folder once it's been released. You can then just go through the folder and get all the icons you want out. After that you can manually theme them through iFunbox/SSH/whatever.

And if you want I can give you 3 icons of your choice early. Just tell me which 3 you want and remind me to give them to you on the 9th (when I get back)!

That would be awesome then :D.

I could do with the Snapchat early though since I want it on my main page but it looks so UGLY next to the others. Spotify would nice too :)

Thanks so much and I love the theme overall!

cobbyco
Jan 2, 2014, 12:40 AM

I could do with the Snapchat early though since I want it on my main page but it looks so UGLY next to the others. Spotify would nice too :)

No problem :D

Side note: Calendar won't work without WinterBoard, unless you can fiddle with the text placement and colour manually. It doesn't matter too much, seeing as the icon is already flat.

Dundonik
Jan 2, 2014, 01:31 AM
It really depends on how long it takes for me to finish up. I've still got all of the small stuff to do such as in Settings, and I don't know how long that could take. That's why I've only given 'January' as a release time.

Honestly though, I could just release it with only the Homescreen themed and then update it a few weeks later with everything else. That would probably mean a release mid-January. Should I do that instead?

----------

Couldn't agree more :D

Yeah man the sooner the better I would love tm show these icons off they're all excellent and I use many of the apps you stated

TL24
Jan 7, 2014, 07:03 PM
Any update on this theme??

cobbyco
Jan 8, 2014, 04:00 AM
Any update on this theme??

Good news: I just bought a retina iPad mini, which also means I can now make the iPad version of the theme. The iPad was VERY cheap in Singapore airport's duty free (only £255 in total for 16GB WiFi grey).

Bad news: iPad version won't be ready on launch. Launch won't be for about a week.

Bottom line: I'm going to need this week to finalise all the small details. But trust me, it will be worth the wait!

Dundonik
Jan 8, 2014, 09:44 AM
Good news: I just bought a retina iPad mini, which also means I can now make the iPad version of the theme. The iPad was VERY cheap in Singapore airport's duty free (only £255 in total for 16GB WiFi grey).

Bad news: iPad version won't be ready on launch. Launch won't be for about a week.

Bottom line: I'm going to need this week to finalise all the small details. But trust me, it will be worth the wait!
Can't wait !

TL24
Jan 8, 2014, 10:47 AM

I think.... we all just Jizzed lol

Thanks again for all of your hard work!

cobbyco
Jan 9, 2014, 11:20 AM

PMed.
Though apparently I didn't send a message, so tell me if you got nothing.

chrf097
Jan 9, 2014, 03:29 PM
PMed.
Though apparently I didn't send a message, so tell me if you got nothing.

Thank you!! :D

cobbyco
Jan 9, 2014, 03:32 PM
Thank you!! :D

No problem :)

cobbyco
Jan 9, 2014, 04:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4zWtZdE.png

Knockoutjosie
Jan 9, 2014, 04:09 PM
How much will it be?

cobbyco
Jan 9, 2014, 04:09 PM
How much will it be?

Free.

Knockoutjosie
Jan 9, 2014, 09:05 PM
Free.

I would donate for this app.

cobbyco
Jan 10, 2014, 02:30 AM
I would donate for this app.

Well, thanks! I'll add a donate button somewhere to the thread.

vcao
Jan 12, 2014, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the inspiration. :D

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/594/2vy0.png

cobbyco
Jan 12, 2014, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the inspiration. :D

Image (http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/594/2vy0.png)

There are 100s of iOS 7 flat themes going around atm, and to think they were all based on one much superior theme:

Mine. :D

But seriously, that's a nice icon set. Especially that Safari icon.

vcao
Jan 12, 2014, 11:09 AM
Reeeeeeemix 😮

darricksailo
Jan 12, 2014, 01:17 PM
There are 100s of iOS 7 flat themes going around atm, and to think they were all based on one much superior theme:

Mine. :D

But seriously, that's a nice icon set. Especially that Safari icon.

really looking forward to the release of this theme :)

How many icons are there in total?

cobbyco
Jan 12, 2014, 01:22 PM
really looking forward to the release of this theme :)

How many icons are there in total?

All the Apple icons, including the App Store ones, are themed. There will also be about 15 other icons included for 3rd party apps, but I have more ready for an update.

So idk like 40+ icons at launch?

darricksailo
Jan 12, 2014, 01:25 PM
All the Apple icons, including the App Store ones, are themed. There will also be about 15 other icons included for 3rd party apps, but I have more ready for an update.

So idk like 40+ icons at launch?

sounds great! :D

Dundonik
Jan 12, 2014, 01:36 PM
When can we expect this ?

cobbyco
Jan 12, 2014, 01:41 PM
When can we expect this ?

Well since WinterBoard just got updated that means I can now theme the smaller stuff like in Settings and Siri. I'd prefer to do all of this stuff now and include it in the first release rather than just updating the theme later.

This means the theme is going to be released a few days later than planned. I'm going to play this safe and say before the end of next week, though it could easily be out sooner.

pickaxe
Jan 13, 2014, 04:38 AM
Said it before, but your work is awesome towards making iOS 7 more usable.

SumYoungGai
Jan 13, 2014, 08:44 AM
Well since WinterBoard just got updated that means I can now theme the smaller stuff like in Settings and Siri. I'd prefer to do all of this stuff now and include it in the first release rather than just updating the theme later.

This means the theme is going to be released a few days later than planned. I'm going to play this safe and say before the end of next week, though it could easily be out sooner.

I'm waiting to JB just for this. :D
Also, I think most of us would agree that we'd want a complete pack rather than an incomplete one, so take your time

cobbyco
Jan 13, 2014, 10:37 AM
Well I think I've hit a wall. I need to theme the icons inside the Settings app, but that requires theming the .artwork file. While this is possible, I need to know the names of the files I'm theming, and I can't do that as I don't have the hardware or software to extract the .artwork file.

So, this is kind of an appeal. If you have a Mac with XCode installed and you know how to use it, I need your help. If someone could install and run the extractor found here (http://modmyi.com/forums/skinning-themes-discussion/830222-ios7-car-file-extractor-compactor-start-new-theming-platform.html) (you may need to install more programs, I'm not sure), then extract the files from this (https://mega.co.nz/#!YRpiTIYZ!L7RaKTpjfOHNh0_fPhWAyElhV8AmY_QzqRR4f3o-Btg) .artwork file, and finally PM all the .pngs extracted to me, that would be brilliant.

Thanks,
cobbyco.

ionjohn
Jan 13, 2014, 02:04 PM
Would it be possible to get the mountain lion dock with those icons?

cobbyco
Jan 13, 2014, 02:47 PM
Would it be possible to get the mountain lion dock with those icons?

Try ActiveDock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTafIirge1c) - It's the Mountain Lion dock with a few extras, though I don't know if it has iOS 7 compatibility yet.

Otherwise there's probably a Mountain Lion theme for the dock; just have a search in Cydia.

ionjohn
Jan 13, 2014, 05:00 PM
Try ActiveDock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTafIirge1c) - It's the Mountain Lion dock with a few extras, though I don't know if it has iOS 7 compatibility yet.

Otherwise there's probably a Mountain Lion theme for the dock; just have a search in Cydia.

All right, I will! Haven't jailbroken my devices in years haha

cobbyco
Jan 15, 2014, 11:43 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18644454

Discussion continues here. This thread is now closed (hopefully).

maflynn
Jan 15, 2014, 11:57 AM
[MOD NOTE]
Closed per request