Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Game Center icon do you like the most? (Pictures in post below)

• White and Orange

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orange and White

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • White and Brown

• Brown and White

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • White and Green

• Green and White

• White and Darker Green

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Darker Green and White

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Release

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18644454

Discussion continues here. This thread is now closed (hopefully).

-------​

Let's get something out of the way first. I don't hate the current iOS 7 icons.

I was thinking to myself about the icons in iOS 7, and I realized how flat they are now in comparison to iOS 6. However, I still thought that Apple could have gone flatter and still made it look good. After all, the icons found in Siri and Settings are very flat, mostly consisting of a plain background and a white image. I wanted to see what the iOS 7 icons would look like in that style (no gradients/textures etc.) so inevitably I opened up MS paint and had a go at it. After realizing I quite liked the icons, I started to refine them and neaten them up a bit. This is the result:

1st party (Apple) icons:
XIufQRA.png

Image also here

3rd party (App Store) icons:
xumudx2.png

Image also here

Things to note:
  • The icons make use of iOS 7's 'Icon Grid System' (Google it).
  • The icons still use iOS 7's colour scheme found in all of the built-in apps.
  • Some of the icons have had major redesigns, including Game Center, Newsstand and Voice Memos.
  • Clock has had no changes done to it, while Calculator has had a very minor colour change and Reminders has had it's subtle texture removed.
  • Yes, all of these icons were made entirely on MS Paint.

Free theme!
I've decided that I will be making this into a free Cydia theme for all iOS 7 devices (when the OS gets jailbroken). There will be alternative icons (if you request them) that will override the standard set of icons, such as a Safari icon without the border. Don't forget, I've still yet to finalize all the icons so I will be making small changes where needed/requested.

Alternative icons

Let me know what you guys think of this below, and whether you will download this when it goes on Cydia for free. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
To be fair, they look pretty good. Except one, game centre. I really don't get why people don't get it's not a game, hence why the icon isn't of some generic gamer type thing. You've made it look like a darts game!

Hook1903

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
I like weather,game center icons.App/itunes store and videos icons better than current ones(colour scheme)but safari icon need a redesing,i think.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
It's better (especially memos––nice). But my problem wasn't that they weren't flat enough, it's the ugly gradients (which you've inadvertently fixed) and the garish colors.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
See now this I can get behind. These icons are actually uniform. The OS is "officially" about getting rid of depth and adornments yet half the icons have faux-depth effects and almost all of them have those tacky gradients.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Except one, game centre. I really don't get why people don't get it's not a game, hence why the icon isn't of some generic gamer type thing. You've made it look like a darts game!

I've heard this several times before, and you do have a point. My only problem is that I hate the current 'bubbles' design of both the icon and the app. Until I can think of something else to represent the social aspects of the app, I am falling back onto the darts board. It is a change I am considering making to the icon at some point, but we'll see what others think about it first before re-redesigning it.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Let's get something out of the way first. I don't hate the current iOS 7 icons.

I was thinking to myself about the icons in iOS 7, and I realized how flat they are now in comparison to iOS 6. However, I still thought that Apple could have gone flatter and still made it look good. After all, the icons found in Siri and Settings (as of beta 5) are very flat, mostly consisting of a plain background and a white image. I wanted to see what the iOS 7 icons would look like in that style (no gradients/textures etc.) so inevitably I opened up MS paint and had a go at it. After realizing I quite liked the icons, I started to refine them and neaten them up a bit. This is the result (left = current, right = 'flat'):

Things to note:
  • The icons make use of iOS 7's 'Icon Grid System' (Google it).
  • The icons still use iOS 7's colour scheme found in all of the built-in apps.
  • Some of the icons have had major redesigns, including Game Center, Newsstand and Voice Memos.
  • Clock and Maps have had no changes done to them, while Calculator has had a very minor colour change.

I've decided that, provided I get enough positive feedback from you guys, I will be making this into a free Cydia theme for all iOS 7 devices (when the OS gets jailbroken). There will be alternative icons (if you request them) that will override the standard set of icons, such as a Safari icon without the border. Don't forget, I've still yet to finalize all the icons so I will be making small changes where needed/requested.

Let me know what you guys think of this below, and whether you would download this if it were on Cydia for free. Thanks for reading!

Your game center icon is actually an improvement. News stand, I understand what you were going for, but it looks too much like a flag.

Otherwise, nice work, just not my taste. Still, you did a nice job, especially using MS Paint.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Too reductive. What are the merits of flat design in your eyes? Soon enough there aren't going to be professional visual artists, instead a bunch of armchair designers working on MS Paint.

Doublea6

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Very good! Especially in Microsoft paint. I'm just trying to decide if it looks too cartoony for me. For me I dislike the inconsistency of ios 7. Some of the pages are white, some are black.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Too reductive. What are the merits of flat design in your eyes? Soon enough there aren't going to be professional visual artists, instead a bunch of armchair designers working on MS Paint.

Not everyone likes the same style of design. You can see that from the comments above: some people like it and some people don't.

What difference does it make if I used a $300 program suite or a free Windows add-on? Surely it's about the end result, not about the tools used to get there? Also, I'm not a professional designer selling my work to Apple or anything like that, and so I'm not trying to take over the world with flat design.

----------

I laughed at that for at least a minute :)

Fair enough though, not everyone is a fan of that design style.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
It's a great representation of a newspaper though. I'm not sure what else you could do.

I might fill up more of the icon with lines of 'text', to make it a bit less flag-shaped. I'll try not to ruin it and post it tomorrow.

azjack

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
Some of those look pretty darn good. I wonder what US Airways might think of your Newstand icon?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Not everyone likes the same style of design.

Very true.

For example I have no issue with most of the icons or the general style. I do think that the revised settings icon. I find the existing one too busy. I feel the same about the Newstand app. To me two 'magazines' would have gotten the idea across. The compass and stocks are too dark for my tastes. But I'm likely to shove them in a folder and forget them so whatever. And the Game Center apps are too vague and don't reflect what it does. Face off might make more sense to reflect the app purpose, taken perhaps from the iOS 6 challenges view

ominx

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I'm like these a lot. But I am more impressed by the fact that you did these in MS Paint without the use of layers. Nice work.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Yes-Yes-Yes-No
Yes-Yes-Yes-Yes
Yes-Yes-Yes-No
No-Yes-Yes-Yes
Yes-No-Yes-Yes
Yes-Yes-Yes-Yes

Camera - Don't like the color
Game Center - Like the idea but something is off
News Stand - Why is it a gray American Flag?
Voice Memo - Color/White is meh

S

syd430

Your Settings icon is terrible imo. Too vague and too safe. I also dislike your Photos, Newsstand, Game Centre and Voice Memos icons as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.