Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sowon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Hi All ..
I have a problem & I would appreciate help from expert users here :)

I have an external hard disk & it was working fine with my MacBook Air (Mac OS X 10.6.8) I could carry my mac with the external hard plugged in & move to another place without it unplug..
However lately,I noticed there are many sudden "unplug" within any move or with no move..I get the message that it was unplugged & I should have pressed "Eject" before unplugging it..at such cases,I used to plug in instantly then eject properly and it would work fine for some time later..
Days ago,I got the message of the disk unplugged but whenever I try plug it in again..it never shows in the finder..
however by pressing
Apple->About this mac->More Info->USB ->
I see this info
Capacity: 500.07 GB (500,074,283,008 bytes)
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: Yes
BSD Name: disk2
Product ID: 0x0730
Vendor ID: 0x1058 (Western Digital Technologies, Inc.)
Version: 10.12
Serial Number: 575850314143303534343733
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Western Digital
Location ID: 0x24100000 / 3
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500
Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
Volumes:
AMANY:
Capacity: 500.07 GB (500,074,219,008 bytes)
Writable: Yes
File System: MS-DOS
BSD Name: disk2s1
--------
I tried to see if the external disk works on another pc & it worked fine..also I used another USB on my mac & it was detected in finder normally..
I also tried Disk Utility but the external hard didn't appear there.
--------
Do have any suggestions for me??
Thank you for your help

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
U have a loose USB connector or cable OR the drive's power requirement is hitting the notebook's limit.

Given what u have already done, I would try to self-power the external or use a powered hub see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.