PDA

View Full Version : Delete button needed in App Store "updates" tab

lazybump91
Aug 24, 2013, 02:53 AM
It is possible to clear the itunes app updated list?

Macman45
Aug 24, 2013, 02:55 AM
It should go away if you switch to the main store screen...hit featured and then return to the purchased / update section...should be gone.

Stupotpot
Aug 24, 2013, 03:09 AM
It should go away if you switch to the main store screen...hit featured and then return to the purchased / update section...should be gone.

Erm...no it isn't.

AFAIK there's no way to clear it.

Macman45
Aug 24, 2013, 03:12 AM
Erm...no it isn't.

AFAIK there's no way to clear it.

That's weird, it always clears on my IP5..:confused:

jtfolden
Aug 24, 2013, 03:25 AM
No, you can not clear this... it only tracks so many days/updates, however.

lazybump91
Aug 24, 2013, 04:22 AM
It so annoying like staying at there, why don't apple make a "delete" button for it? :confused::confused:

Sirious
Aug 24, 2013, 05:08 AM
It so annoying like staying at there, why don't apple make a "delete" button for it? :confused::confused:

Agreed. I was going to make a thread about this. Thanks for doing it for me :D

lazybump91
Aug 24, 2013, 05:23 AM
Agreed. I was going to make a thread about this. Thanks for doing it for me :D

hmm...maybe I should change the title as well? ;)

pmontanarella
Aug 24, 2013, 05:30 AM
I don't understand how it bugs you... it doesn't badge the app store icon so it doesn't confuse you with apps that need updates and if you don't look at it it will go away after a couple of days...

Pietro

lazybump91
Aug 24, 2013, 06:04 AM
I don't understand how it bugs you... it doesn't badge the app store icon so it doesn't confuse you with apps that need updates and if you don't look at it it will go away after a couple of days...

Pietro

it doesn't confuse me, just someone like me doesn't keep a record in there. Perhaps, delete button in there not a bad thing too right?

Sirious
Aug 24, 2013, 08:10 AM
it doesn't confuse me, just someone like me doesn't keep a record in there. Perhaps, delete button in there not a bad thing too right?

But then again, Apple doesn't let us 'clear all' running apps so why would they let us clear all updated apps? :(

C DM
Aug 26, 2013, 02:02 PM
Had a few threads about this over the past few betas.

Certainly having a way to clear that would be useful, or at least have it be in a separate section on that updates tab, similar to the purchased items, to separate things out better.

----------

PietroAn updates tab is for available updates, not things that have already been installed. It's a quick stop where if it's essentially blank there's nothing to update, and if it's not, then there are updates. Now with previously installed updates you get both sort of mixed in and it's not exactly a quick stop where it's either empty or has something.

That's not even really counting the fact that it's pretty much a standard where an updates section pretty much across other OSs and apps that have it is generally either blank when there's nothing to update or has something when there are updates available (previously installed updates are not mixed in with available updates or if no updates are available).

treichert
Aug 26, 2013, 02:58 PM
An updates tab is for available updates, not things that have already been installed. It's a quick stop where if it's essentially blank there's nothing to update, and if it's not, then there are updates.

Nope, it's for everything updates-related. Now it keeps track of what apps were updated. If there were any updates to install, there'd be a badge on the App Store icon. Also, there is autoupdate.

jtfolden
Aug 26, 2013, 03:02 PM
An updates tab is for available updates, not things that have already been installed. It's a quick stop where if it's essentially blank there's nothing to update, and if it's not, then there are updates. Now with previously installed updates you get both sort of mixed in and it's not exactly a quick stop where it's either empty or has something.

No, the default in iOS 7 is to do auto-updates, so the "Updates" tab is mainly so you can check to see what has updated recently and what the changes were (which is why oldest updates eventually fall off the list).

How else would you know what apps have auto-updated if a log wasn't available?

C DM
Aug 26, 2013, 03:03 PM
Nope, it's for everything updates-related. Now it keeps track of what apps were updated. If there were any updates to install, there'd be a badge on the App Store icon. Also, there is autoupdate.Maybe that's what Apple set it up to be like in iOS 7, but that doesn't mean that it's a good implementation, nor that's what the industry standard is for something like that.

Nothing wrong with providing access to recently updated apps (in fact that's a good idea, especially now that auto-update functionality has finally been made available), but it should either be separated from available apps (like purchased apps already are on the updates tab), and/or there should be a way to clear that section if a user wishes to.

kaiseryeahhh
Aug 26, 2013, 03:04 PM
What it's the problem?
If not badge no update.
The history of updates it's great info

C DM
Aug 26, 2013, 03:05 PM
What it's the problem?
If not badge no update.
The history of updates it's great infoAlready purchased apps is also great info, and it's even also on the updates tab, but it's in a separate section, instead of littering the updates tab.

jtfolden
Aug 26, 2013, 03:16 PM
Maybe that's what Apple set it up to be like in iOS 7, but that doesn't mean that it's a good implementation, nor that's what the industry standard is for something like that.

Industry standard?

On an Android tablet I have right here, if I go into the Pay Store and tap the button to see downloads/updates, I see a list divided into 3 sections Updates, Recently Updated, and Up to date. So it's essentially Updates & Purchases all in one... and no way to clear it, either.

C DM
Aug 26, 2013, 03:22 PM
Industry standard?

On an Android tablet I have right here, if I go into the Pay Store and tap the button to see downloads/updates, I see a list divided into 3 sections Updates, Recently Updated, and Up to date. So it's essentially Updates & Purchases all in one... and no way to clear it, either.Poor implementation there too then (although perhaps the fact that they are at least separated into sections--assuming fairly clearly separated ones--might help a little).

Now, go to software update on OS X, or Windows, of many other apps that have update pages/sections--vast majority of them will only show you available updates in those places or a message saying there are no updates if none are available. Some will allow you to see previously installed updates and things of that nature, but that will be separated from the available updates in one way or another (another tab, another link, etc.).

WordMasterRice
Aug 26, 2013, 03:33 PM
Poor implementation there too then (although perhaps the fact that they are at least separated into sections--assuming fairly clearly separated ones--might help a little).

Now, go to software update on OS X, or Windows, of many other apps that have update pages/sections--vast majority of them will only show you available updates in those places or a message saying there are no updates if none are available. Some will allow you to see previously installed updates and things of that nature, but that will be separated from the available updates in one way or another (another tab, another link, etc.).

You can't say that it is industry standard and then say that doesn't count when you are presented evidence that it isn't. This is the smart phone industry, not the PC industry.

C DM
Aug 26, 2013, 03:43 PM
You can't say that it is industry standard and then say that doesn't count when you are presented evidence that it isn't. This is the smart phone industry, not the PC industry.One other example (Android, and perhaps only particular version or few versions of it) doesn't necessarily break it. Currently, not counting a non-publicly available beta, iOS has had a standard for years of only showing updates in the update section. Windows Phone does it that way too.

The concept of updates, on the phone or not, is pretty much the same, at least as far as what generally needs to be displayed--the available updates--so it's not like it needs to be somehow different in a mobile environment than on a desktop environment simply because one is mobile and one is desktop.

----------

You can't say that it is industry standard and then say that doesn't count when you are presented evidence that it isn't. This is the smart phone industry, not the PC industry.By the way, the bars for cellular signal strength are pretty much a mobile industry standard too, and just because in iOS 7 Apple will suddenly (and more or less pointlessly) use dots that take up more space than necessary doesn't somehow make the bars any less of a pretty much accepted standard.

benji888
Aug 26, 2013, 04:14 PM
I agree it's nice to have the info, and, with automatic updates, I want to know what apps have been updated, but, like notifications, once I've seen it, I'd like to be able to clear that info out.

bbfc
Aug 26, 2013, 04:32 PM
Poor implementation there too then (although perhaps the fact that they are at least separated into sections--assuming fairly clearly separated ones--might help a little).

Actually, in the MAS (on Mavericks) the updates tab displays updates installed within the past 30 days (likely due to auto-update being new in Mavericks).

Like someone had said, it'll be because of auto-updates.

Clearly a first world problem.

C DM
Aug 26, 2013, 04:39 PM
Actually, in the MAS (on Mavericks) the updates tab displays updates installed within the past 30 days (likely due to auto-update being new in Mavericks).

Like someone had said, it'll be because of auto-updates.

Clearly a first world problem.Yeah, figures that more than likely it's due to auto-updates given that it's being introduced for the first time in these releases. That said, first-world problems or not (and pretty much this whole site, if not the whole internet, falls into that category), it's pretty clear that simply having recently updated apps somewhat separated, like purchased apps already are, and/or having a way to clear them out when/if the user chooses to, would be an improvement.

jtfolden
Aug 26, 2013, 05:16 PM
it's pretty clear that simply having recently updated apps somewhat separated, like purchased apps already are, and/or having a way to clear them out when/if the user chooses to, would be an improvement.

I'm not opposed to a choice to clear the listing at all but I just don't see the point in separating them now as the primary function of the Updates tab is to see what has already been updated rather than to see what needs updated.

I don't even get a notification badge on the App Store now about pending updates, it just does them...and I only know they are done as it appears in the NC. After that I can go to Updates to see the changes.

When I *do* catch updates in the App Store before they're applied they have a "Update" button next to them which seems enough of a differentiator.

C DM
Aug 26, 2013, 05:27 PM
I'm not opposed to a choice to clear the listing at all but I just don't see the point in separating them now as the primary function of the Updates tab is to see what has already been updated rather than to see what needs updated.

I don't even get a notification badge on the App Store now about pending updates, it just does them...and I only know they are done as it appears in the NC. After that I can go to Updates to see the changes.

When I *do* catch updates in the App Store before they're applied they have a "Update" button next to them which seems enough of a differentiator.As far as iOS is concerned, for years, until iOS 7, the primary function of the Update tab has always been to see what needs to be updated. That is how it is in Windows Phone, OS X (at least until Mavericks), Windows Update, and how it is on most other update systems as well.

Now, with the introduction of automatic updates (which, by far, not even close to everyone will actually use or even want to use) having a list of recently updated apps becomes that much more useful and important, but that doesn't really mean the whole purpose of the Update tab suddenly changes from what's available to update to what was already updated. It's clear the two need to coexist due the new features that are introduced, but there are better ways that it can be accomplished rather than simply taking over the already existing tab with known and previously established (for a long time) functionality and almost repurposing it for something else, or at the very least sort of throwing multiple things into a single pile.

jtfolden
Aug 27, 2013, 07:38 PM
Now, with the introduction of automatic updates (which, by far, not even close to everyone will actually use or even want to use)

Actually, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the vast majority of iOS 7+ users will NEVER alter this setting from it's defaults.

having a list of recently updated apps becomes that much more useful and important, but that doesn't really mean the whole purpose of the Update tab suddenly changes from what's available to update to what was already updated.

Ummm.... but that's exactly what it means because it's already happened.

It's clear the two need to coexist due the new features that are introduced, but there are better ways that it can be accomplished rather than simply taking over the already existing tab with known and previously established (for a long time) functionality and almost repurposing it for something else, or at the very least sort of throwing multiple things into a single pile.

The only reason they would need to equally coexist is if both methods were being given equal attention by Apple... but that's not the case. It's obvious that Apple fully intends for auto-update to be the default. It's not an alternative to exist alongside the old way of doing things, it's meant to be the new and improved way and I think it is.

For this reason, the listing/log of recently updated apps should not be shuffled off to a separate screen like Purchases because this listing is the primary use of that tab now. It would make no sense to have the Updates screen only show pending updates because it will almost always be blank now.

I think providing a way to clear the list is really the biggest concessions that should even be made here and I'm not sure Apple will do that... certainly not in 7.0 i don't think.

SakuraSuki
Aug 27, 2013, 07:45 PM
No, the default in iOS 7 is to do auto-updates, so the "Updates" tab is mainly so you can check to see what has updated recently and what the changes were (which is why oldest updates eventually fall off the list).

How else would you know what apps have auto-updated if a log wasn't available?

No no. When people check update, they expect only update to show up. Display already updated app along with app needs to be apdate p, it sill confuse people.

Also people don't need to know the app is being updated and notification centre shows you which app being updated.

jtfolden
Aug 27, 2013, 07:48 PM
No no. When people check update, they expect only update to show up. Display already updated app along with app needs to be apdate p, it sill confuse people.

Have you actually been running iOS 7? Updates generally doesn't show apps that need updating because it's already been done... that's the point... and when it does there's no confusion because it's immediately obvious which ones have yet to be installed.

Also, I think you're being rather unkind to the intellect of iPhone users as Android users have lived with a similar system for years now without issue or confusion.

C DM
Aug 27, 2013, 07:49 PM
Actually, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the vast majority of iOS 7+ users will NEVER alter this setting from it's defaults.

Ummm.... but that's exactly what it means because it's already happened.

The only reason they would need to equally coexist is if both methods were being given equal attention by Apple... but that's not the case. It's obvious that Apple fully intends for auto-update to be the default. It's not an alternative to exist alongside the old way of doing things, it's meant to be the new and improved way and I think it is.

For this reason, the listing/log of recently updated apps should not be shuffled off to a separate screen like Purchases because this listing is the primary use of that tab now. It would make no sense to have the Updates screen only show pending updates because it will almost always be blank now.

I think providing a way to clear the list is really the biggest concessions that should even be made here and I'm not sure Apple will do that... certainly not in 7.0 i don't think.The Updates tab for years has been (and still is in most other OSs) something that lists only available updates, not those that have already happened. If you are saying that automatic updates suddenly made that tab have a different meaning, well, even if that's the case, then what at least some of some of the people are saying that it could have been done better than simply taking what that tab used to be and is typically is and simply adding other items into the mix. That's really what it comes down to. The fact that Apple might think that most people want auto-updates or don't care about things being mixed in, doesn't mean that the way they went about the design is good or at least couldn't be better.

SakuraSuki
Aug 27, 2013, 07:51 PM

I think providing a way to clear the list is really the biggest concessions that should even be made here and I'm not sure Apple will do that... certainly not in 7.0 i don't think.

If the tab intended to show you the list of already updated apps, then shouldn't it named as Updated not Updates?

C DM
Aug 27, 2013, 07:53 PM
Have you actually been running iOS 7? Updates generally doesn't show apps that need updating because it's already been done... that's the point... and when it does there's no confusion because it's immediately obvious which ones have yet to be installed.

Also, I think you're being rather unkind to the intellect of iPhone users as Android users have lived with a similar system for years now without issue or confusion.It might already been done for those who might have auto-updates on, and even for those people the auto-updates don't happen on a continuous basis, so they can still catch an available update before it's been automatically updated on their phone.

Plenty of people don't/won't care for auto-updates, just like plenty do/will, and just like plenty that won't care either way. But, again, none of that means that the way the tab suddenly changed meaning and the way it's been all sort of lumped together is a good one or at least couldn't be better.

jtfolden
Aug 27, 2013, 08:11 PM
If you are saying that automatic updates suddenly made that tab have a different meaning, well, even if that's the case, then what at least some of some of the people are saying that it could have been done better than simply taking what that tab used to be and is typically is and simply adding other items into the mix. That's really what it comes down to. The fact that Apple might think that most people want auto-updates or don't care about things being mixed in, doesn't mean that the way they went about the design is good or at least couldn't be better.

I completely understand the idea that the new way may not be a great fit for every last user but the reality is that Apple doesn't offer a lot of choices in most instances and this seems like one of the last places they would begin to do that.

In reality, if a clear/delete option were added to the screen then I can't see how that wouldn't appease those that want to manually install updates. You could clear the screen immediately after installing your updates and the Updates tab would work essentially just like it always has...

C DM
Aug 27, 2013, 08:17 PM
I completely understand the idea that the new way may not be a great fit for every last user but the reality is that Apple doesn't offer a lot of choices in most instances and this seems like one of the last places they would begin to do that.

In reality, if a clear/delete option were added to the screen then I can't see how that wouldn't appease those that want to manually install updates. You could clear the screen immediately after installing your updates and the Updates tab would work essentially just like it always has...Sure, an option like that would be useful...that's essentially (at least part of) what this thread is about.

And it's not so much that new might not be fitting to some, but that the new part can be done better since right now in this case it's sort of mixing old and the new together without a way to even clear that up if the user wishes to, which doesn't create for as good of an experience.