PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried this?

Irishman
Aug 24, 2013, 07:59 AM
I am trying to find a way to record my Mac speaking things, and saving it to a file that I can edit and mix in Garageband or Audacity.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/siri-voice-mac/

So, has anyone tried doing what this site suggests? I'm not quite sure how to do the "How to Get" and "Save" steps, not being a Terminal pro.

b06tmm
Aug 24, 2013, 10:42 AM
I just tried it and it works pretty well.

Once you enable text to speech, open terminal and type: cd desktop

copy and paste this in the terminal window: -o "test_file" "Master, my name is Siri. I am here to serve your every desire"

You will not hear anything but the playable test_file.aiff file should now be on the desktop.

Irishman
Aug 24, 2013, 12:14 PM
I just tried it and it works pretty well.

Once you enable text to speech, open terminal and type: cd desktop

copy and paste this in the terminal window: -o "test_file" "Master, my name is Siri. I am here to serve your every desire"

You will not hear anything but the playable test_file.aiff file should now be on the desktop.

I've had text to speech enabled for quite some months, so I followed your directions to the t, but it didn't save a test file to my desktop.

Bummer.

What am I doing wrong? I got this error msg back:

"-bash: -o: command not found"

b06tmm
Aug 24, 2013, 12:29 PM
If you type the following in a terminal window, can you hear it?

say "Master, my name is Siri. I am here to serve your every desire"

You can just copy and paste it into terminal then press enter.

I have the latest rMBP running 10.8.4.

Edited to add - Sorry, did you press enter after the cd desktop command above?

Irishman
Aug 24, 2013, 06:25 PM
If you type the following in a terminal window, can you hear it?

say "Master, my name is Siri. I am here to serve your every desire"

You can just copy and paste it into terminal then press enter.

No, I don't hear it.

b06tmm
Aug 25, 2013, 10:25 AM
OK, I tried it on my iMac and rMBP and it worked right away, with me not configuring anything, both running ML. It did not on my mini running 10.7.5, Lion.

On my mini I went to Preferences, Dictation & Speech, Text to Speech. I selected a voice and then pressed Play. I now hear a voice. Do you?

I opened up terminal again and tried it again, no voice.

Before I tried it again, I pressed Option+Esc and now I heard my typed in text.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/b06tmm/Desktops/Text-to-Speech_zpsb2049ad6.jpg

See if that works for you.

ChrisA
Aug 25, 2013, 12:46 PM
No, I don't hear it.

If you don't understand the "say" command, of if you want to learn more abut it then type "man say" (without the quotes) into the terminal. This will print the manual page for "say". There are many options where you can specify the voice and the speed.

You also have the ability to mark up the text to be spoken for inflection, pauses, pitch and what not so it does not sound so flat.

There was a time when everyone who used computers only used the command line. Back in those days people could get the computer to do all kinds of thing that even the software developers never thought of. Today with the dumbed down user interfaces if there is no button you can't click it so the computer does no more than the developers envisioned.

The little say command will let you read a play aloud switching voices for each actor and using dramatic pauses and so on. If only you invest in time to write the markup.

malog
Aug 29, 2013, 02:21 AM
I also tried it and it just worked well

Peace
Sep 14, 2013, 02:32 AM
Works for me but I don't see the purpose of it.

:confused:

Irishman
Sep 16, 2013, 07:29 AM
OK, I tried it on my iMac and rMBP and it worked right away, with me not configuring anything, both running ML. It did not on my mini running 10.7.5, Lion.

On my mini I went to Preferences, Dictation & Speech, Text to Speech. I selected a voice and then pressed Play. I now hear a voice. Do you?

I opened up terminal again and tried it again, no voice.

Before I tried it again, I pressed Option+Esc and now I heard my typed in text.

Image (http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/b06tmm/Desktops/Text-to-Speech_zpsb2049ad6.jpg)

See if that works for you.

Alright, so kids back to school and I'm just now getting back to this. I typed the say command into terminal that you suggested, and now I heard Siri speak the line.

However, I still don't see a saved file on my desktop when I copied this into terminal: -o "test_file" "Master, my name is Siri. I am here to serve your every desire"

cheekypaul
Sep 16, 2013, 12:53 PM
I am trying to find a way to record my Mac speaking things, and saving it to a file that I can edit and mix in Garageband or Audacity.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/siri-voice-mac/

So, has anyone tried doing what this site suggests? I'm not quite sure how to do the "How to Get" and "Save" steps, not being a Terminal pro.

not quite what everyone is discussing but i use this, it does what you want.
but not siri, you need to add the voice as mentioned.
http://toauapp.com/

interesting post.