PDA

View Full Version : Fresh install after GM?

Nolander07
Aug 24, 2013, 02:15 PM
When the final iOS 7 is released to the public, does one have to do a fresh install if already using the GM, or just update the iOS via wifi or iTunes?
Thanks.

Cougarcat
Aug 24, 2013, 02:17 PM
The GM is the same as the final. You don't have to do anything.

WhackyNinja
Aug 24, 2013, 02:19 PM
If you are going from Beta to GM, you have to do a fresh install. Assuming it will be like last year when iOS 6 GM'd. But no, the GM is the final build for the public.

Osullivan1
Aug 24, 2013, 04:56 PM
You don't have to, but it's recommended and I will, simply because sometimes installing the GM over the beta can leave some bugs behind and create others.

Plus, a GM is a great chance to start afresh. A clean install leaves your phone feeling brand new and fresh.

Smwdesigns
Aug 24, 2013, 06:08 PM
So we won't need to update from GM to the final update when released?

ionjohn
Aug 24, 2013, 06:18 PM
So we won't need to update from GM to the final update when released?

The GM is basically the release version, same build number. But there's a chance that it might be a different version so we can't say for sho

----------

It wasn't for iOS 4 and iOS 3

Smwdesigns
Aug 24, 2013, 06:22 PM
The GM is basically the release version, same build number. But there's a chance that it might be a different version so we can't say for sho

So will we get a update on GM to update to the final? How has it worked for previous iOS releases?

g35
Aug 24, 2013, 06:31 PM
Is the GM only for developers or can anyone download it and shift-click restore in iTunes and choose the GM ipsw?

ionjohn
Aug 24, 2013, 06:33 PM
So will we get a update on GM to update to the final? How has it worked for previous iOS releases?

No, you'll have to restore. Can't go from beta to GM or release version. Can't go from GM to release version (if the release is a different build)

----------

Is the GM only for developers or can anyone download it and shift-click restore in iTunes and choose the GM ipsw?

Anyone can download it, you only need to find a place where to download it.

Smwdesigns
Aug 24, 2013, 06:52 PM
No, you'll have to restore. Can't go from beta to GM or release version. Can't go from GM to release version (if the release is a different build)

I suppose I'll just update to GM once it's released then restore to iOS6 and update to iOS7 once it's released to public.

Tyler23
Aug 24, 2013, 07:31 PM

The GM is the same thing as the public release. Once you update to the GM you don't need to update again

batting1000
Aug 24, 2013, 07:40 PM

Not all the time, but most of the time.

WhackyNinja
Aug 24, 2013, 08:04 PM
I suppose I'll just update to GM once it's released then restore to iOS6 and update to iOS7 once it's released to public.

Anyone can download the GM before the public release. I did it with iOS 5. So once you have the GM you have the final release so there's no need to go back to iOS 6

ionjohn
Aug 24, 2013, 08:54 PM
Anyone can download the GM before the public release. I did it with iOS 5. So once you have the GM you have the final release so there's no need to go back to iOS 6

Unless the release build is not the same as the GM which has happened before, I wouldn't be surprised to see it this time

Tyler23
Aug 24, 2013, 08:57 PM
Unless the release build is not the same as the GM which has happened before, I wouldn't be surprised to see it this time

The only time it happened was on an iOS 4 point release, I believe 4.1 but correct me if I'm wrong.

Otherwise, GM is the public release.

ionjohn
Aug 24, 2013, 09:09 PM
The only time it happened was on an iOS 4 point release, I believe 4.1 but correct me if I'm wrong.

Happened with iOS 3, iOS 3.2, iOS 4, iOS 4.2, iOS 4.3... Actually, when you check how many GMs got out, most of the time the final build was different but since iOS 4.3 it hasn't happened so maybe it won't...

Tyler23
Aug 24, 2013, 09:17 PM
Happened with iOS 3, iOS 3.2, iOS 4, iOS 4.2, iOS 4.3... Actually, when you check how many GMs got out, most of the time the final build was different but since iOS 4.3 it hasn't happened so maybe it won't...

Source? I'm pretty sure that's inaccurate.

Nolander07
Aug 24, 2013, 09:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

ntrigue
Aug 24, 2013, 10:00 PM
Typically the GM is the same build number that the public installs 9 days later.

For that reason you will be eligible for OTA updates and the 'beta' won't pink screen or expire.

I highly recommend this final build be installed via Setup as New and not just updated.

WhackyNinja
Aug 24, 2013, 10:08 PM

Tyler it was iOS 4.0 that had a different GM build.

Anyways why does it matter? If you get the GM build and the final release is different cant you just update? Or am I wrong?

----------

Typically the GM is the same build number that the public installs 9 days later.

For that reason you will be eligible for OTA updates and the 'beta' won't pink screen or expire.

I highly recommend this final build be installed via Setup as New and not just updated.

Most likely will, correct me if Im wrong but thats what happened with iOS 6 last year

ionjohn
Aug 25, 2013, 12:50 PM
No I don't think you can. We'd have to DFU and install the release build but anyways, we'll see in a couple of weeks

----------

Source? I'm pretty sure that's inaccurate.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_SDK and I googled some missing

Tyler23
Aug 25, 2013, 12:57 PM

ionjohn
Aug 25, 2013, 01:03 PM

Look at the build numbers for iOS 7 *or google the rest you'll see

VSMacOne
Aug 25, 2013, 01:11 PM
Tyler it was iOS 4.0 that had a different GM build.

Anyways why does it matter? If you get the GM build and the final release is different cant you just update? Or am I wrong?

----------

Most likely will, correct me if Im wrong but thats what happened with iOS 6 last year

If the public release has a different version number than GM you'll have to download it from a direct link to Apple (or wherever else you find it) because neither iTunes nor OTA will pick it up as an update. I think this is how it's been in the past. Basically the way I understand it, the GM is the first version of iOS 7 out of beta, and in the past it wasn't possible to upgrade from beta to GM OTA. Had to be done via iTunes after downloading the ipsw.
What I'll do is download the GM and update the software on top of the beta and then when the public launch occurs I will do a fresh install.

JetBlack7
Aug 25, 2013, 02:54 PM
I always do a fresh install after an update rolls out. From beta to GM? I'd advise you to do it so any bugs remaining on the beta won't transition on to the GM ;)

WhackyNinja
Aug 25, 2013, 03:44 PM
If the public release has a different version number than GM you'll have to download it from a direct link to Apple (or wherever else you find it) because neither iTunes nor OTA will pick it up as an update. I think this is how it's been in the past. Basically the way I understand it, the GM is the first version of iOS 7 out of beta, and in the past it wasn't possible to upgrade from beta to GM OTA. Had to be done via iTunes after downloading the ipsw.
What I'll do is download the GM and update the software on top of the beta and then when the public launch occurs I will do a fresh install.

Oh well...I was hoping when GM came out I can jump straight to it from iOS 6 but since there a possibility of the public being a different version and me having to do a fresh install...seems like Im better off waiting for the Public release.

andrewsjra
Aug 25, 2013, 04:04 PM
Does anyone know if I didn't install the developer file to reset my itunes library in beta 6 if it will be fixed in the GM update? If not it sounds like I'm better off downgrading to ios 6 and updating to the official release.

batting1000
Aug 25, 2013, 04:11 PM
Does anyone know if I didn't install the developer file to reset my itunes library in beta 6 if it will be fixed in the GM update? If not it sounds like I'm better off downgrading to ios 6 and updating to the official release.

Yeah, should be. Don't see why they wouldn't fix it. I doubt they'd want everyone to install that profile. That'd be a mess.

----------

Oh well...I was hoping when GM came out I can jump straight to it from iOS 6 but since there a possibility of the public being a different version and me having to do a fresh install...seems like Im better off waiting for the Public release.

You can. The GM has only been different from the public version twice, with it happening most recently with iOS 4.2 and that was almost about 3 years ago.

WhackyNinja
Aug 25, 2013, 05:11 PM
You can. The GM has only been different from the public version twice, with it happening most recently with iOS 4.2 and that was almost about 3 years ago.

Hm well I'll see maybe I will upgrade once the GM is out