PDA

View Full Version : iOS 6 once iOS 7 is released...

Plx32
Aug 25, 2013, 06:11 AM
I have a few questions. Based on iOS history, once iOS 7 is released, those who would want to stay on iOS 6 :

a) who get an update badge on the Settings app, impossible to remove unless they jailbreak ?

b) would not be able to restore from an iOS 6 ipsw file, since that version would not be signed anymore ?
So any major problem would force them to restore to iOS 7 ?

Am I right ?

TheRainKing
Aug 25, 2013, 06:18 AM
Yes to both.

ethan028
Aug 25, 2013, 06:27 AM
It's time to move on. By the time iOS 7 hits.

SeenJeen
Aug 26, 2013, 08:11 AM
It's time to move on. By the time iOS 7 hits.

If iOS 7 isn't adding significant features for people, there's nothing to move on to.

The very computer I'm writing this on is running Snow Leopard, since Lion or Mountain Lion adds no really useful features.

I always recommend to people to wait for .1 or .2 releases of iOS, since the first release is still very buggy, especially on an major overhaul like iOS 7.

WhackyNinja
Aug 26, 2013, 08:26 AM
If iOS 7 isn't adding significant features for people, there's nothing to move on to.

The very computer I'm writing this on is running Snow Leopard, since Lion or Mountain Lion adds no really useful features.

I always recommend to people to wait for .1 or .2 releases of iOS, since the first release is still very buggy, especially on an major overhaul like iOS 7.

I will agree that the very first release is very buggy, since I had iOS 6.0 when I got my iPhone 5 and upgraded to iOS 6.0.1 I noticed a significant change in the performance.

However once the release of iOS 7 is out I will upgrade right away...I cant wait to leave iOS 6 for good

Tubamajuba
Aug 26, 2013, 08:41 AM

Control Center alone is a pretty big "significant feature". Not to mention the dozens of smaller features. Such as the ability to FINALLY have granular control and a breakdown of each app's data usage.

And it's really not a comparable situation between iOS and OS X. Many people still use Snow Leopard, but nobody uses iOS 3.0 anymore- both released in the same year. OS X has long been a solid, feature-filled OS, and that's why Snow Leopard is still a viable choice. The rate of progress in iOS is much faster and you'll begin to miss out on new features and new apps much quicker- some apps already support iOS versions no earlier than 6.1, and I'm willing to bet that iOS 6/6.1 support will be dropped even faster than iOS 5 support is presently dropping due to the immense amount of API changes included in iOS 7.

I completely understand waiting a couple of weeks after release to make sure that you don't become a victim of a show-stopping bug, but the move to iOS 7 is something that really shouldn't be delayed for too long.

Plx32
Aug 26, 2013, 04:25 PM
Still, they should at least give you the possibility to restore from a saved iOS 6 ipsw file, if you made the effort to save it and never upgraded to iOS 7 before...

I intend to wait a little while before I upgrade to iOS 7, because I really like my iOS classic :D

I tried iOS 7 for a month then switched back to iOS 6 and it's like I found what made the iPhone magic again...

bbfc
Aug 26, 2013, 04:26 PM
Still, they should at least give you the possibility to restore from a saved iOS 6 ipsw file, if you made the effort to save it and never upgraded to iOS 7 before...

I intend to wait a little while before I upgrade to iOS 7, because I really like my iOS classic :D

I tried iOS 7 for a month then switched back to iOS 6 and it's like I found what made the iPhone magic again...

So you tried the Beta of iOS 7 for a month and that made up your mind?!

It's always been the case - once a new version of iOS is released, the previous versions are no longer signed (unless its the last version your device will support, like iOS 6 on the 3GS).

Switchback666
Aug 27, 2013, 02:46 AM
Eventually you will be using the new iOS anyway if you plan to continue using an iphone/ipad, might aswell just jump and get used to it early like i did :D i miss my jailbreak but control center and the new ui make it easier; whe just need quickreply Apple ! :p

Skika
Aug 27, 2013, 03:40 AM
Feel free to cling to the past and familiarity while the rest of us move along to the fresh future, we will be waiting for you to get your courage and jump.

Do your best!

The-Real-Deal82
Aug 27, 2013, 03:51 AM
If people want to stay on an old OS then I have no problem with that, but I really don't understand it at all. If something new comes out and its free, I don't see why anyone would want to stick to something old and out of date. If iOS wan't bringing anything new in the way of features and doing things, it wouldn't be released. I haven't used it myself yet, but have seen the feedback of what it is bringing and I can't agree it is not adding any 'significant features for people'. I think perhaps it is one of those things where people are determined not to like it or give it a go. I say move with the times and see.

g-7
Aug 27, 2013, 03:58 AM
If people want to stay on an old OS then I have no problem with that, but I really don't understand it at all.

One example: Beta versions of iOS 7 are significantly slower on iPhone 4 than iOS 6. If the release version is also slower, than it may be a perfect reason for iPhone 4 users to stay with iOS 6.

The real problem is that one cannot downgrade once Apple stops signing the previous version (AFAIK iPhone 4 is an exception here, *if* you have shsh files copied). So, when you accidentaly update, you have no way back.

The-Real-Deal82
Aug 27, 2013, 04:04 AM
One example: Beta versions of iOS 7 are significantly slower on iPhone 4 than iOS 6. If the release version is also slower, than it may be a perfect reason for iPhone 4 users to stay with iOS 6.

The real problem is that one cannot downgrade once Apple stops signing the previous version (AFAIK iPhone 4 is an exception here, *if* you have shsh files copied). So, when you accidentaly update, you have no way back.
Fair enough I understand those reasons. It might be the perfect time for iPhone 4 users to consider upgrading during the next release. I don't keep phones for longer than 2 years maximum as I used to be sick to death of falling out of favour with the developers when updates came out. The iPhone 4 is 3 and half years old now so I can understand why it would struggle with iOS 7. I can imagine when iOS 8 or whatever comes out this time next year my iP5 will start to lack capability so it'll be time to change and coincide with my upgrade date :)

TheRainKing
Aug 27, 2013, 04:18 AM

That's just your opinion.

Full Screen Apps
Notes/Reminders
Launchpad

I use these features all the time so I wouldn't be able to go back to Snow Leopard.

HarryAinslie
Aug 27, 2013, 04:33 AM
Until you've used iOS 7 as your daily driver then you haven't experienced it fully, i've been using it since Beta 1 and still finding cool things with it!

You gotta learn to evolve folks, this is why Apple is still stamping it's ground on the market place, because it as a company has the ability to evolve! Woz did a interview a few days ago explaining how Microsoft etc haven't evolved, and he's right! They're still boring old microsoft with the boring same features!

You couldn't possibly say that iOS 7 brings LESS to the table than iOS 6 does, therefore it would be silly not to upgrade!

Plx32
Aug 27, 2013, 06:46 AM
I tried iOS 7 for a month, and I felt my iPhone had somewhat lost its magic...
When I reinstalled iOS 6, the magic was back.

That's why I intend to stay on iOS 6 as long as possible.

I'm not saying that iOS 7 is unusable (there are some nice features, and it is basically the same OS with a new skin), but there are so many things I dislike (control center looks ugly to me, 3 tabs in notification center ??, opaque video controls ?? really ??, etc.. ) that it feels less fun and cool to use IMO.

SeenJeen
Aug 27, 2013, 08:06 AM

Full Screen Apps
Notes/Reminders
Launchpad

I use these features all the time so I wouldn't be able to go back to Snow Leopard.

Exactly. This is just your opinion. I use literally nothing of what you listed, and in fact, on my ML machine, I removed LaunchPad from my dock and put in an Applications grid stack because LaunchPad is atrociously garbage. What was Apple thinking?

I've been using the iOS 7 betas on my spare iPhone, but no new features are awful like Launchpad.

JaySoul
Aug 27, 2013, 08:07 AM
Some people value stability over shiny new features.

Me? I need the shiny new features.

SeenJeen
Aug 27, 2013, 08:09 AM
If people want to stay on an old OS then I have no problem with that, but I really don't understand it at all. If something new comes out and its free, I don't see why anyone would want to stick to something old and out of date. If iOS wan't bringing anything new in the way of features and doing things, it wouldn't be released. I haven't used it myself yet, but have seen the feedback of what it is bringing and I can't agree it is not adding any 'significant features for people'. I think perhaps it is one of those things where people are determined not to like it or give it a go. I say move with the times and see.

Bugs and performance. .0 release are usually slower and more bug filled than the previous iOS version.

The point being made here is that people don't need to upgrade right away, and there's nothing wrong with that.

The-Real-Deal82
Aug 27, 2013, 08:16 AM
Bugs and performance. .0 release are usually slower and more bug filled than the previous iOS version.

The point being made here is that people don't need to upgrade right away, and there's nothing wrong with that.
I can understand your point, but that was not the OP's point. They are not upgrading, because they feel the 'magic' has been lost with iOS 7. My advice to that would be to consider using another OS as iOS 6 will soon be outdated once updates move on.

You are right that there is nothing wrong with not updating right away and there is nothing wrong with choosing to update either from my point of view.

FlatlinerG
Aug 27, 2013, 08:21 AM
If security improvements aren't enough of a reason to update, then by all means stick with your outdated OS.

Other than that, I would reserve judgement for the official release before judging iOS 7 by its speed or performance.

naasrd
Aug 27, 2013, 08:23 AM
For me, iOS 7 has, more or less, made my iPhone 5 into a whole new experience. I liked 6, a lot. But 7 has raised the bar more than a little and I can only look forward.

Nanasaki
Aug 27, 2013, 08:34 AM
If security improvements aren't enough of a reason to update, then by all means stick with your outdated OS.

Other than that, I would reserve judgement for the official release before judging iOS 7 by its speed or performance.

An OS is not outdated unless none of the software and hardware supports it. You can say iOS 1-4 is outdated, but iOS 5 and iOS 6 is hardly outdated.

C DM
Aug 27, 2013, 09:04 AM
If people want to stay on an old OS then I have no problem with that, but I really don't understand it at all. If something new comes out and its free, I don't see why anyone would want to stick to something old and out of date. If iOS wan't bringing anything new in the way of features and doing things, it wouldn't be released. I haven't used it myself yet, but have seen the feedback of what it is bringing and I can't agree it is not adding any 'significant features for people'. I think perhaps it is one of those things where people are determined not to like it or give it a go. I say move with the times and see.New doesn't meant better (and at least certainly not necessarily better for everyone) simply because it's new.

The-Real-Deal82
Aug 27, 2013, 09:09 AM
New doesn't meant better (and at least certainly not necessarily better for everyone) simply because it's new.
I know. I'm in an ongoing discussion about this in the following posts. My point was originally being made against those who will not upgrade simply because they dislike change, not the people who avoid buggy releases or feel their 3 and a half year old iPhone will not run the new OS smoothly. Obviously I don't want to keep repeating that.

FlatlinerG
Aug 27, 2013, 09:13 AM
An OS is not outdated unless none of the software and hardware supports it. You can say iOS 1-4 is outdated, but iOS 5 and iOS 6 is hardly outdated.

Well if you really wanted to get technical then no version of iOS is outdated unless it is no longer used by anyone. What I simply meant was that running up-to-date software provides feature and security enhancements and that the older software is left to go stale.

bransoj
Aug 27, 2013, 09:49 AM
One example: Beta versions of iOS 7 are significantly slower on iPhone 4 than iOS 6. If the release version is also slower, than it may be a perfect reason for iPhone 4 users to stay with iOS 6
Sure i've read on various threads and other boards plenty of people using iOS7 on an iPhone 4 with no issues.

TheRainKing
Aug 27, 2013, 11:08 AM
Exactly. This is just your opinion. I use literally nothing of what you listed, and in fact, on my ML machine, I removed LaunchPad from my dock and put in an Applications grid stack because LaunchPad is atrociously garbage. What was Apple thinking?

I've been using the iOS 7 betas on my spare iPhone, but no new features are awful like Launchpad.

Well I wouldn't have Launchpad on the dock either. Launchpad is most useful when you set it up as a keyboard shortcut or if you have a magic trackpad.

C DM
Aug 27, 2013, 11:29 AM
I know. I'm in an ongoing discussion about this in the following posts. My point was originally being made against those who will not upgrade simply because they dislike change, not the people who avoid buggy releases or feel their 3 and a half year old iPhone will not run the new OS smoothly. Obviously I don't want to keep repeating that.Just as there are those who will upgrade no matter what because there's something new and shiny (sometimes without even really knowing or caring about the changes). It's a spectrum as it is when it comes to many things.

cmichaelb
Aug 27, 2013, 11:47 AM

Sometimes there's a really important app to you, that isn't updated and won't work with the new OS. That's one reason- something which I have run into before.

charlituna
Aug 27, 2013, 12:00 PM
I

Depends on what you call major. Short of something like a disabled passcode lock many issues can be solved by just doing the onboard erase all which doesn't require a reinstall of the iOS and thus no forced update to iOS 7.

Plx32
Aug 27, 2013, 03:06 PM
Depends on what you call major. Short of something like a disabled passcode lock many issues can be solved by just doing the onboard erase all which doesn't require a reinstall of the iOS and thus no forced update to iOS 7.
Thanks for the tip !

thadoggfather
Aug 27, 2013, 03:23 PM
staying on 6.1.2 jailbroken until iOS 7 gets it

then if battery and performance are alright, I guess i'll upgrade?

ethan028
Aug 27, 2013, 03:38 PM

I think Apple will be on it this fall. I'm sure they have learned from the past.

thadoggfather
Aug 27, 2013, 04:28 PM
I think Apple will be on it this fall. I'm sure they have learned from the past.

I guarantee there will be an iOS 7-gate feature or two.

Music app-gate? Battery-gate? Opening/closing window animation-gate? UI-gate?

I dunno.

ethan028
Aug 27, 2013, 04:29 PM
I guarantee there will be an iOS 7-gate feature or two.

Music app-gate? Battery-gate? Opening/closing window animation-gate? UI-gate?

I dunno.

The only one I can see is battery-gate. But maybe apple has some surprises in store for us.

thadoggfather
Aug 27, 2013, 04:36 PM
The only one I can see is battery-gate. But maybe apple has some surprises in store for us.

I hope so too.

Or maybe 'buy a 5S, A7 is 20% more efficient' is their solution?

ethan028
Aug 27, 2013, 04:37 PM
I hope so too.

Or maybe 'buy a 5S, A7 is 20% more efficient' is their solution?

Doubt it. Only 20 percent?

Nermal
Aug 27, 2013, 05:02 PM
a) who get an update badge on the Settings app, impossible to remove unless they jailbreak ?

You can avoid that if you keep the phone full enough that it doesn't have enough space for the update. Easy for me because I only have a 32 GB phone, but could be harder on a 64 GB one!

b) would not be able to restore from an iOS 6 ipsw file, since that version would not be signed anymore ?

Does anyone know what the story is with iOS versions requiring new versions of iTunes? I think I read somewhere that iOS 7 requires iTunes 11... but I can only run up to 10.7. Presumably iTunes 10.7 won't offer to install iOS 7 on the phone, but wouldn't it still try to do an OTA update?

I believe that "Erase All Content and Settings" will work around most issues (so long as you're not jailbroken).

thadoggfather
Aug 28, 2013, 12:53 AM
Doubt it. Only 20 percent?

That's a rumor at least:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/08/15/apples-a7-soc-expected-to-be-20-more-efficient-debut-in-iphone-5s

bbfc
Aug 28, 2013, 05:54 AM
You can avoid that if you keep the phone full enough that it doesn't have enough space for the update. Easy for me because I only have a 32 GB phone, but could be harder on a 64 GB one!

Does anyone know what the story is with iOS versions requiring new versions of iTunes? I think I read somewhere that iOS 7 requires iTunes 11... but I can only run up to 10.7. Presumably iTunes 10.7 won't offer to install iOS 7 on the phone, but wouldn't it still try to do an OTA update?

I believe that "Erase All Content and Settings" will work around most issues (so long as you're not jailbroken).

You won't be able to download iOS 7 through iTunes if you cannot update to the required version.

kevpan815
Aug 28, 2013, 06:06 AM
I have a few questions. Based on iOS history, once iOS 7 is released, those who would want to stay on iOS 6 :

Am I right ?

and exactly why would you want to miss out on Apple's improved Anti-Theft measures put in place with IOS 7's improvements to Find My IPhone?

----------

I thought new versions of iOS (from 6 to 7) were not pushed OTA and always required you to update through iTunes.

from 6.0.x and/or 6.1.x to 7.0 is OTA. What is NOT OTA is 7.0 Beta x to 7.0 GM.

Plx32
Aug 28, 2013, 06:09 AM
I'm not exactly sure on this one, but since I tried iOS 7 betas, I was required to enter my iTunes password every time I restored the phone, even when I restored iOS 6.

What is odd is that I wasn't required to disable Find my iPhone to do so, as I thought I read somewhere.

Anyway, that's a great new feature for sure, but not enough to postpone upgrading for a few months in my opinion.

bbfc
Aug 28, 2013, 06:09 AM
and exactly why would you want to miss out on Apple's improved Anti-Theft measures put in place with IOS 7's improvements to Find My IPhone?

----------

from 6.0.x and/or 6.1.x to 7.0 is OTA. What is NOT OTA is 7.0 Beta x to 7.0 GM.

I realised that after I typed it.

kevpan815
Aug 28, 2013, 06:24 AM
I'm not exactly sure on this one, but since I tried iOS 7 betas, I was required to enter my iTunes password every time I restored the phone, even when I restored iOS 6.

What is odd is that I wasn't required to disable Find my iPhone to do so, as I thought I read somewhere.

Anyway, that's a great new feature for sure, but not enough to postpone upgrading for a few months in my opinion.

You can also try using an App called Lookout Mobile Security if your NOT too impressed with the Improvements to Find my IPhone.

----------

and while it is true that I like the Android Version of Lookout Mobile Security better, the IOS version can still both Locate and Scream your IPhone. Just remember to turn off the ability to Delete Apps in Restrictions.

abshole765
Aug 28, 2013, 11:00 AM
Launchpad.

Ill never understand this; how lazy are you that you cant open the applications folder or do a spotlight search.

TheRainKing
Aug 28, 2013, 11:29 AM
Ill never understand this; how lazy are you that you cant open the applications folder or do a spotlight search.

I'm lazy because I choose to save myself a few seconds by using Launchpad to get to my applications. Right... :rolleyes:

bbfc
Aug 28, 2013, 03:43 PM

It's quicker to use Launchpad.

dBeats
Aug 28, 2013, 04:26 PM

Actually the quickest is spotlight

[Cmd]-[Space]
Numb
[Enter]

Bam, Numbers pops up.

That being said, I've taught my non-technical friends/family to use Launchpad and they are MUCH happier about using it that way.

TheRainKing
Aug 28, 2013, 04:31 PM

[Cmd]-[Space]
Numb
[Enter]

Bam, Numbers pops up.

That being said, I've taught my non-technical friends/family to use Launchpad and they are MUCH happier about using it that way.

F5 (my launchpad key)
Move mouse to icon
Click

I found that quicker. Guess it depends what your use to.

bbfc
Aug 28, 2013, 04:43 PM
F5 (my launchpad key)
Move mouse to icon
Click

I found that quicker. Guess it depends what your use to.

F4 for me.

appleisking
Aug 28, 2013, 05:12 PM
Don't understand what the hate is on launchpad, but then I'm a newbie to OS X (came in at Lion) so to each his own.

Costee
Aug 28, 2013, 05:35 PM

[Cmd]-[Space]
Numb
[Enter]

Bam, Numbers pops up.

Since Mountain Lion if you use a keyboard shortcut to open Launchpad it's just as fast (if not even faster), because you have search.

abshole765
Aug 29, 2013, 06:45 AM

Yeahhh. No.

dBeats
Aug 29, 2013, 12:34 PM
Since Mountain Lion if you use a keyboard shortcut to open Launchpad it's just as fast (if not even faster), because you have search.

I tried that. You're right! I didn't realize I could just start typing the name in Launchpad (since I don't use it that much, but maybe I will now)

JarScott
Aug 29, 2013, 01:56 PM

It just seems so dumb not to update the software the company provides for your product. I can see Mac being different as you have to pay for updates. But having the latest version of your OS makes sure you have all the latest security fixes and features. When iOS 7 is free, why wouldn't you update? It just seems beyond me that people actually have that attitude.

C DM
Aug 29, 2013, 04:56 PM
It just seems so dumb not to update the software the company provides for your product. I can see Mac being different as you have to pay for updates. But having the latest version of your OS makes sure you have all the latest security fixes and features. When iOS 7 is free, why wouldn't you update? It just seems beyond me that people actually have that attitude.Well, one of the main reasons is if there are some likely downsides for you (based on what you use in the OS and how you use it).