PDA

View Full Version : [iPhone] What's the easiest way you guys backup your photos for ios 7?

NickyLanzz
Aug 25, 2013, 11:53 AM
So when the GM comes out, I plan on doing my first ever fresh install. I plan on doing it and obviously the main thing I want is my photos and contacts. What would be the easiest way of going about this to back them up and then get them both back?

Thanks,

--Nick

chabig
Aug 25, 2013, 11:56 AM

NickyLanzz
Aug 25, 2013, 12:46 PM

I never attempted to restore from an iCloud backup. I would like to test it before I go about it. I usually do iTunes, but that would defeat the whole purpose of a fresh install, it will restore my whole phone again.

chabig
Aug 25, 2013, 12:49 PM
Well you Contacts are saved on your Mac. Your photos are in iPhoto. When you sync for the first time, they will sync to your new phone as always.

cleo1
Aug 25, 2013, 01:11 PM
Use iPhoto—it does not sync to/from a particular iPhone profile—it just detects duplicates and allows you to back up whatever you present it with. I have a single linear iPhoto backup dating back to before the iPhone. Use iCloud for everything else but photos—the fact that your photo library likely exceeds the free space is how Apple gets you to pay for more.

bransoj
Aug 26, 2013, 07:28 AM
Dropbox has a built in photo back up utility that runs when you open the app. Just need to open an account with Dropbox to use it or use another of the cloud based data stores.

LadyX
Aug 26, 2013, 11:50 AM
I use iPhoto.

aDRock1154
Aug 26, 2013, 02:23 PM
+1 for iPhoto. Makes things A LOT easier.

iRetired
Aug 26, 2013, 02:27 PM
iFunBox - free for PC/Mac.

bbfc
Aug 26, 2013, 02:29 PM
iPhoto for me.

charlituna
Aug 26, 2013, 02:37 PM
If you have a Mac, image capture for the photos. Sync contacts via iTunes or icloud

aristobrat
Aug 26, 2013, 02:41 PM
I use PhotoSteam.

Anytime I'm on WiFi, and new photos on my iPhone automatically upload to PhotoStream.

The next time I open Aperture on my Mac, any new photos in PhotoStream automatically copy down to my Mac.

Love that system.

Ann P
Aug 26, 2013, 02:44 PM
If you have a Mac, image capture for the photos. Sync contacts via iTunes or icloud

Image Capture works great from iPhone to Mac, but how do you transfer photos back to your iPhone? I haven't figure out an easy way to do this.

iMerik
Aug 26, 2013, 02:47 PM
iFunBox - free for PC/Mac.
Interesting

pottyvick
Aug 26, 2013, 02:49 PM
I use dropbox since i am on windows mostly. Its cross platform compatible...

SandboxGeneral
Aug 26, 2013, 02:51 PM
I use iPhoto with Photo Stream and also use the Dropbox camera upload since it's there.

benji888
Aug 26, 2013, 05:23 PM
So when the GM comes out, I plan on doing my first ever fresh install. I plan on doing it and obviously the main thing I want is my photos and contacts. What would be the easiest way of going about this to back them up and then get them both back?

Thanks,

--Nick

Contacts: are you using a Mac? If so, and you are syncing with iTunes, and have it set to sync your contacts, then, when you set up the phone it should sync with your contacts on your Mac.

Photos: I usually backup w/iPhoto also. But, when I went to iOS 7, I set the phone up as new, so everything is fresh, but, then you can restore from backup and get all your photos, texts, settings, everything fom your last sync fom iTunes (IF you have iTunes set to backup on this computer) my preferred way, saves iCloud space for other things.

charlituna
Aug 26, 2013, 05:56 PM
Image Capture works great from iPhone to Mac, but how do you transfer photos back to your iPhone? I haven't figure out an easy way to do this.

Tell iTunes to sync from a folder.

And someone pm'd to ask me why not iPhoto. My reason is two fold. One you can selectively delete from your camera roll, including previous imports, easier in IC.
And two, it doesn't get bogged down doing all that faces scanning etc that iPhoto does.you can copy, cleanup your camera roll and move what you really want into iPhoto later

biosci
Sep 20, 2013, 11:00 PM
Does photostream take the full quality 8mp image? So file size on iPhone is the same filesize coming out of photo stream?