PDA

View Full Version : Walking into a Apple store with iOS 7.

Am3r1ca16
Aug 25, 2013, 08:21 PM
Have any of you walked into the Apple store with your iPhone with the iOS 7 betas. I know employees can get fired for publicly displaying iOS 7 to customers. But what if you did? Would you get kicked out?

I'm just wondering lol.

narutoninjakid
Aug 25, 2013, 08:23 PM
No to do so I belive you must be a developer for them to service your device

Dennis187
Aug 25, 2013, 08:27 PM
What if you walked into the Apple store with Google Glass on

Nermal
Aug 25, 2013, 08:30 PM
No to do so I belive you must be a developer for them to service your device

I don't think he's talking about service, just showing it to other customers.

zigzagg321
Aug 25, 2013, 08:52 PM
I don't think he's talking about service, just showing it to other customers.

Apple will not service an iOS 7 equipped device, only developers should have it and as a developer one should be able to do any repairs short of physical on their test mule phone.

As for showing iOS 7 around...doubt you'd get kicked out.

Tmelon
Aug 25, 2013, 09:06 PM
I'm sure they would't kick you out, but they won't service your device. And if you're showing it around they might kindly remind you of an NDA you may or may not have agreed to.

zamudiovsky
Aug 25, 2013, 09:17 PM
I'm sure they would't kick you out, but they won't service your device. And if you're showing it around they might kindly remind you of an NDA you may or may not have agreed to.

They service your phone even if you have iOS7, i got my phone replaced with iOS7 and they knew I had it

Tmelon
Aug 25, 2013, 09:18 PM
They service your phone even if you have iOS7, i got my phone replaced with iOS7 and they knew I had it

Technically they aren't supposed to. Whether or not they do is on the employee.

famous600
Aug 25, 2013, 09:25 PM
Have any of you walked into the Apple store with your iPhone with the iOS 7 betas. I know employees can get fired for publicly displaying iOS 7 to customers. But what if you did? Would you get kicked out?

I'm just wondering lol.

I've seen a better post holding my fence up. You would actually be publicly executed on site.

bjb.butler
Aug 25, 2013, 10:02 PM
Apple will not service an iOS 7 equipped device,

Not true, at all.

I had my 5 replaced a few weeks ago with iOS 7 beta on it... Home button was failing. They didn't even check to see if I'm a registered "developer". Genius was just like "oh cool you're running iOS 7"

In addition, I've seen at least three other threads on here where a person with iOS7 has gotten their phone replaced.

charlituna
Aug 25, 2013, 10:39 PM

I'm just wondering lol.

No you wouldn't get kicked out. However if you are going in for service and it's not something that is 100% hardware like a busted screen you are most likely SOL. Policy is they tell you to contact developer support, restore it etc. they do not support pre release software in stores.

----------

Not true, at all.

I had my 5 replaced a few weeks ago with iOS 7 beta on it... Home button was failing.

You got lucky. One that they didn't send you home to restore it first and second that they swapped the whole phone. They are supposed to fix just the home button.

Oh and they have no way to check that you are a legit developer. Which is why they assume you are and tell you to contact developer support. If you ask what that is you just confirmed it for them.

Nanasaki
Aug 25, 2013, 10:41 PM
I actually showed iOS 7 beta 1 on the released day to one of Apple store manager. I talked with that manager few times before, so I kind know him personally. I also showed iOS 7 to 2 other employees. They were all amazed by iOS 7 and we had chat around half an hour.

So, no you won't get kicked out. If you do, you could sue them for money. LOL

WhackyNinja
Aug 25, 2013, 10:46 PM
One of the Geniuses had iOS 7 on their phone and he showed it to me like it was nothing.

justblais
Aug 25, 2013, 11:13 PM

I'm just wondering lol.

there's two apple stores in my city and one has a pretty huge reputation for being super dick-ish to all their customers

so healthily for the last two years it's been tradition for me to install the beta and wander in to the store with it running day 1

and have the particularly douchey people stand mouth agape when i ask for advice re: something

(I am a dick)

whtrbt7
Aug 25, 2013, 11:28 PM
It's fine to show the latest developer build iOS in any Apple Store. You just shouldn't be obtuse about it or mention anything that would be considered a trade "secret". They won't usher you out of the store and some of the employees might even chat with you about it. Basically, if it wasn't covered in the keynote, you probably shouldn't talk about it. You also shouldn't misrepresent the OS because it's not finalized. You have in your hand a draft copy of the OS. Things are always subject to change by the time it reached GM. It's kind of like insider trading. You have to know what information is public and what is not public. If you had a pre-developer release copy of iOS on the other hand, there was probably a very strict NDA with that and Apple would enforce.

Macman45
Aug 26, 2013, 01:49 AM
If you are properly registered with Apple and are entitled to be running BETA software, then they will happily service / replace your phone irrespective of what version of IOS it's running. I suspect that roaming around the store showing off the new OS to other customers might get you a warning though..:)

bandofbrothers
Aug 26, 2013, 01:49 AM
Slightly off topic....

I remember when I walked into my Network Shop {02} in the Uk, with my iPhone 5 with the iOS 7 Theme {i'm not a Dev}, and the employee looking gob smacked , and asked to have a play around with it !

:D

mirageboss
Aug 26, 2013, 01:50 AM
Have any of you walked into the Apple store with your iPhone with the iOS 7 betas. I know employees can get fired for publicly displaying iOS 7 to customers. But what if you did? Would you get kicked out? I'm just wondering lol.
No you wouldn't get kicked out, It just depends on what exactly you were doing as to if you would get kicked out.

Technically they aren't supposed to. Whether or not they do is on the employee.
Not true, at all.
I had my 5 replaced a few weeks ago with iOS 7 beta on it... Home button was failing. They didn't even check to see if I'm a registered "developer". Genius was just like "oh cool you're running iOS 7"
In addition, I've seen at least three other threads on here where a person with iOS7 has gotten there phone replaced.
Same, except my issue was with the Sleep/Wake button. The Genius however did indicate they aren't supposed to do anything with iOS7 and advised next time to bring the device with iOS6 until iOS7 is made public.

BvizioN
Aug 26, 2013, 02:07 AM

I'm just wondering lol.

Why would you? For showing an Apple product in an Apple store? I don't think so. iOS 7 announcement was prodcasted to public on WWDC 2013 so it's not like you are revealing their secret or something.

glitch82
Aug 26, 2013, 02:14 AM
Who cares seems like a simple cry for help "Ooh look at me I have BETA ios 7" Geezus people get a life

Just relax, why don't you? Nothing going on here but some nice Apple fans sharing the iOS 7 experience with Apple employees and vice versa. We all like Apple things and short of this being escalated to a regional director or something I'm sure no one is going to get in any trouble.

Virginaustralia
Aug 26, 2013, 02:28 AM
Genius was just like "oh cool you're running iOS 7"

Its great that theyre being like that. It would be unfair for us iOS7 owners to have less control over service on the device just because its under software testing

dhlizard
Aug 26, 2013, 06:33 AM
This thread reminds me of someone gloating over having "gotten" away with something :rolleyes:

It also amazes me the inaccurate stories that circulate about what Apple employees will do or not do if they encounter a jailbroken device (in this case running developer software). Where do folks come up with these ?

Todd B.
Aug 26, 2013, 07:21 AM
What if you walked into the Apple store with Google Glass on

You're probably get laughed at and then pitied by everyone for spending $1500 on beta software?

iphonehype
Aug 26, 2013, 08:29 PM

I'm just wondering lol.

Walked into the Apple Store Westfield today for an appointment for my MacBook Pro Retina.

As I was using my iPhone the Genius who was serving me said "ahh iOS 7 how do you like it"

So no. No one is getting fired.

Apple's marketing. Thats all it is.

C DM
Aug 26, 2013, 08:34 PM
What if you walked into the Apple store with Google Glass onYou might get a funny story out of it: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/26/siri-giving-attitude-to-okay-glass-prompt/

nooaah
Aug 26, 2013, 08:52 PM

I'm just wondering lol.

I've gone in the Philadelphia Apple store several times (including the first date of release) with iOS 7. Nobody has ever cared. Shrug.

charlituna
Aug 27, 2013, 12:10 PM
If you are properly registered with Apple and are entitled to be running BETA software, then they will happily service / replace your phone irrespective of what version of IOS it's running.

No they won't. In store does not service beta software. They don't have the tools for it. So unless it is something that is clearly hardware you have zero guarantee of service. You might get lucky if you are known to the store as someone that's not a reseller etc but that kind of thing is against policy and many stores will go with the letter of the law.

----------

Its great that theyre being like that. It would be unfair for us iOS7 owners to have less control over service on the device just because its under software testing

That is why you are discouraged from using your daily use device for testing. Because your options are limited.

Apple stores have no way of knowing if you are legit or not. They have no tools for testing etc. That is why they are to send you to developer support which has the tools and info. If you don't know what they they are talking about then they can and are supposed to deny service for unauthorized modification. Either way, outside of clear hardware issues, no service in store.

itjw
Aug 27, 2013, 12:17 PM
I walked into an Apple store with my 2G (back in 2008) jailbroken , unlocked, and on T-Mobile. They were awestruck, and oddly enough very few people there even knew it was possible. They did not kick me out.

Why would they, even with a custom OS?

They wouldn't SERVICE your phone (because you have violated and terminated your warranty), but they aren't collossal douchebags like those reps at all the Samsung stores (wait... are there Samsung stores? or am I just trolling because they would be if there were???).

:apple:

unplugme71
Aug 27, 2013, 12:25 PM
You won't get kicked out, however, they will remind you of the NDA if you are really showing it off.

As for service. Yes they will service it. Most likely not check if you are actually a developer. However, they typically ask you to restore back previous iOS if possible before performing warranty work.

Reason being they can't actually do anything with iOS 7 since they don't run the beta iTunes or beta version of their iDevice tool.

Luuthian
Aug 27, 2013, 12:26 PM
Of course they won't service phones with iOS7. It's a Beta. It's going to have problems. You knew that when you signed up. They're not going to replace your phone because eBay force closed during the first three Betas. Half the problems they would encounter they would be powerless to fix.

They will still fix hardware problems though. I actually had my iOS7 iPhone 5 replaced about four weeks ago because my original phone got a purple speck in the camera. At first they didn't want to do anything because of the OS but I told the manager it was clearly a hardware issue, after which they had no problem replacing it.

PS: They do not check your developer status.

janitor3
Aug 27, 2013, 01:17 PM
I went into an Apple store to ask them to check a problem on my iPhone 4, I was running beta 5, they had no problems with looking at the phone. The assistant just asked me how I liked using iOS 7.

P.s. The problem was nothing to do with the beta.

tmanto02
Aug 27, 2013, 05:35 PM
Apple will not service an iOS 7 equipped device, only developers should have it and as a developer one should be able to do any repairs short of physical on their test mule phone.

As for showing iOS 7 around...doubt you'd get kicked out.

Incorrect sorry - I had my iPhone 5 replaced a week ago and I had ios7 installed. The Apple Genius said that it was not an issue that I had iOS 7 installed and that while they could not officially support the software, the hardware it's self is still covered under warranty.

And I'm not a paid developer either, they didn't even bother checking.

All in all I was really pleased with the service I received. :D

C DM
Aug 27, 2013, 05:46 PM
There's the official Apple store policy...and then there's YMMV. In the end, you never really can know for sure one way or another until (if you need to) you try and see if it works or not for you personally.

nheilweil
Aug 27, 2013, 05:55 PM
Incorrect sorry - I had my iPhone 5 replaced a week ago and I had ios7 installed. The Apple Genius said that it was not an issue that I had iOS 7 installed and that while they could not officially support the software, the hardware it's self is still covered under warranty.

Same here. :D And both of the Apple folks who helped me were really curious what I thought about the new SW.

AFDoc
Aug 27, 2013, 08:13 PM

I'm just wondering lol.
Why would you want to be "that guy"? Nothing says "I'm a major D-Bag" more than approaching people in an apple store and showing them your phone because you have iOS7 on it.

Am3r1ca16
Aug 28, 2013, 02:29 PM
Why would you want to be "that guy"? Nothing says "I'm a major D-Bag" more than approaching people in an apple store and showing them your phone because you have iOS7 on it.

Where did I say I want to be "that guy"?

zigzagg321
Aug 28, 2013, 04:43 PM

You got lucky, and I posted correct information based on Apple policy.

marsmissions
Aug 28, 2013, 08:35 PM

I'm just wondering lol.

That would just annoy the employees. If you're not shopping GTFO, nobody thinks you're cool.

martinocando
Aug 28, 2013, 09:09 PM
I'm reading, and re-reading the OP's post, and still can't find where he said his intentions were to have the phone serviced :confused:

mikeydeezy
Sep 3, 2013, 12:22 PM
I had dust under my screen and they wouldn't service it with iOS 7.

Users saying they absolutely will service if you are a registered dev are either misinformed or lucky.

kevpan815
Sep 4, 2013, 06:32 AM

I'm just wondering lol.

That will VOID your 1 Year Warranty. You need to Downgrade back to Apple IOS 6.1.3/6.1.4 first.

cheeseplane
Sep 4, 2013, 07:22 AM
Well, my brothers iPhone 4 failed to charge (tried several other chargers etc, nothing worked..), so he made an appointment with a Genius.
Turned out the logic board got all corroded (i.e. water damage). The guy did mention he was running iOS 7, but because his iPhone was registered with a developer (my developer account) it wasn't an issue and they were happy to replace it.

TL;DR: as long as it is registered as developer device, running iOS 7 is not an issue.

Daveoc64
Sep 4, 2013, 07:29 AM
That will VOID your 1 Year Warranty. You need to Downgrade back to Apple IOS 6.1.3/6.1.4 first.

Explain why this is the case?

A warranty is effectively a contract between the manufacturer and the consumer.

Apple's warranty does not mention the installation of pre-release software AT ALL, let alone stating that it invalidates the warranty.

If Apple did not honour the warranty for that reason, then they would be breaching the terms of that contract.

The US doesn't have the best consumer protection laws, but in many European countries that would be flat out illegal.

People also seem to think that the terms and conditions of the Apple Developer programme state that warranty service is not available with pre-release software - they do not. That would be illegal for the same reason as above.

You won't get kicked out, however, they will remind you of the NDA if you are really showing it off.

This is another misconception. The NDA is so permissive that it's unlikely you'd be able to show anything in a retail store that would be covered by it.

Zimmy68
Sep 4, 2013, 07:34 AM
Imagine walking into a store with the sole intent to show off something or bother customers.

Oh what I would do to have that kind of time on my hands.

I am so envious of you.

dec.
Sep 4, 2013, 07:41 AM
(I am a dick)

No, you're probably just looking forward to your 14th birthday.

roadbloc
Sep 4, 2013, 07:45 AM
I walked into an Apple Store with a Windows Phone once. Nobody cared. Just as I had suspected.

chibiterasu
Sep 4, 2013, 08:00 AM
Has everybody who said they will send you home to restore it forgotten that there in an apple store?? They have macs so if you get a genius who wont serve you for a hardware problem, back up to iCloud, buy a cable (lightning or 30pin) restore by plugging your phone into a mac of some sort (I'm sure you can find one) and then return the cable when your done under apple's 14 day no questions asked policy to get a refund.

Simple then they can serve you!

The-Real-Deal82
Sep 4, 2013, 08:07 AM
there's two apple stores in my city and one has a pretty huge reputation for being super dick-ish to all their customers

so healthily for the last two years it's been tradition for me to install the beta and wander in to the store with it running day 1
What sort of reaction do you get from fellow Apple store customers? Do they stand in awe at the amazing pass time you have? Taking time to go to an Apple store and do this, really?!! :P

Geckotek
Sep 4, 2013, 08:37 AM
Everyone in this thread is focusing on either the service/warranty aspect or acting like people are walking in for the sole purpose of flaunting iOS 7 when the OP asked about neither. I don't get it. :confused:

FYI, they cannot void your warranty for loading a beta software. There are consumer laws that protect us from crap like that. However, they can refuse to service you until a currently supported version is loaded to prove the beta software is not the cause.

Ok, back on to the OP's post; I did walk in with mine while I was looking to buy some accessories. I was trying to use the Apple Store App to check out, but it kept failing. So I grabbed a rep and asked them to check me out since my Apple Store App was failing on iOS 7. The asked to see it and asked me how I liked it. That was about it. No big deal and I still wonder why people in this tread are making a big deal out of it.

flux73
Sep 4, 2013, 02:23 PM
I know for a *FACT* that they don't care if you have iOS 7 beta installed. I know because I brought in my drowned iPhone 5 that had a screwed up screen from water damage. The screen was 80% fine, but had all kinds of bands and fluid lines across it and the touch wasn't functioning. Two employees looked at it - one was the store manager. The other guy asked the manager if it was a problem replacing it since it had iOS 7. The manager said no, since it was a water/hardware issue not software. So they pleasantly offered me their standard replacement phone for $219 which I was quite happy to pay (vs the $750 I would have had to pay for a new unlocked 32GB). They never once grumbled about iOS 7 being on the phone. They were happy to help me wipe the phone and transfer all my info to the new phone (which of course only had iOS 6 on it). They never once asked me for proof of being a developer (which I am not).

C DM
Sep 4, 2013, 02:35 PM
Everyone in this thread is focusing on either the service/warranty aspect or acting like people are walking in for the sole purpose of flaunting iOS 7 when the OP asked about neither. I don't get it. :confused:

FYI, they cannot void your warranty for loading a beta software. There are consumer laws that protect us from crap like that. However, they can refuse to service you until a currently supported version is loaded to prove the beta software is not the cause.

Ok, back on to the OP's post; I did walk in with mine while I was looking to buy some accessories. I was trying to use the Apple Store App to check out, but it kept failing. So I grabbed a rep and asked them to check me out since my Apple Store App was failing on iOS 7. The asked to see it and asked me how I liked it. That was about it. No big deal and I still wonder why people in this tread are making a big deal out of it.And that's really all/any of this comes down to. Nothing more, nothing less.

Geckotek
Sep 4, 2013, 03:20 PM
And that's really all/any of this comes down to. Nothing more, nothing less.

None of this discussion is on topic w/ the OP.

C DM
Sep 4, 2013, 03:24 PM
None of this discussion is on topic w/ the OP.Right, but it seems to be where the thread turned pretty much from the beginning and remained on for the most part.