PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 much smoother on iPhone 5S due to 64 bit processing

Gary500
Aug 26, 2013, 02:35 AM
http://9to5mac.com/2013/08/25/apple-said-to-have-tested-64-bit-a7-chips-for-iphone-5s-31-speed-increases-reported/

What do you guys think?

ionjohn
Aug 26, 2013, 02:56 AM
http://9to5mac.com/2013/08/25/apple-said-to-have-tested-64-bit-a7-chips-for-iphone-5s-31-speed-increases-reported/

What do you guys think?

I think iOS 7 beta 6 is very smooth on iPhone 5 and it'll be even smoother on the final build so 64 bit or 32, I don't think it matters, it gets to a point where it can't be smoother.

balcis
Aug 26, 2013, 03:36 AM
they are trying to make us feel old about our "iphone 5"s. nothing more. it's a new phone and that's it.

Chazz08
Aug 26, 2013, 05:11 AM
they are trying to make us feel old about our "iphone 5"s. nothing more. it's a new phone and that's it.

Exactly. While 64bit would be awesome and will give Apple an even further edge over the competition, I'll stick with the 5 until the 6 comes out.

shenfrey
Aug 26, 2013, 05:29 AM
Exactly. While 64bit would be awesome and will give Apple an even further edge over the competition, I'll stick with the 5 until the 6 comes out.

Agreed, I usually get new phones, not sure if it's age or I'm just steering to see sense, but I too am going to wait for the iPhone 6.

batting1000
Aug 26, 2013, 05:48 AM
Isn't there already a news thread about this

Chazz08
Aug 26, 2013, 06:07 AM
Isn't there already a news thread about this

There's a new thread about the possibility of a 64bit processor and it being 31% faster, there isn't one about whether it would make iOS 7 smoother. I'd say of course it would. Thanks for your great contribution to the discussion though!

jonnyb098
Aug 26, 2013, 07:33 AM
It's a bunch of BS since iOS 7 beta 6 animations ran very smooth on my 4S. Or else they think the animation timing will just be 31% faster. Hahahahaha

stooovie
Aug 26, 2013, 07:41 AM
64bit != smoother or faster. Especially on a phone with limited RAM. Main advantage of 64bit is the ability to address more than 4GB RAM. Apple is nowhere near that limit.

The main reason to go 64bit is to proof the future.

pickaxe
Aug 26, 2013, 08:07 AM
iPhone 5S will run iOS 7 more smoothly because Apple has a habit of gimping previous gen iOS devices to make the hardware appear dated.

matttye
Aug 26, 2013, 08:22 AM
iPhone 5S will run iOS 7 more smoothly because Apple has a habit of gimping previous gen iOS devices to make the hardware appear dated.

It does seen that way. My iPad 2 is quite sluggish on iOS 6.

zbarvian
Aug 26, 2013, 09:04 AM
It does seen that way. My iPad 2 is quite sluggish on iOS 6.

Exactly. I sold my iPad 2 when I picked up the Mini, and though they pack the same internals, the Mini felt noticeably peppier.

C DM
Aug 26, 2013, 09:25 AM
iPhone 5S will run iOS 7 more smoothly because Apple has a habit of gimping previous gen iOS devices to make the hardware appear dated.Source?

locoboi187
Aug 26, 2013, 09:34 AM
Isn't 64bit overkill? The RAM won't certainly make use of it below 4gb.

matttye
Aug 26, 2013, 09:38 AM
Exactly. I sold my iPad 2 when I picked up the Mini, and though they pack the same internals, the Mini felt noticeably peppier.

Surely eventually they're going to realise how obvious it is though :\ the iPhone 5 is blazing fast on iOS 6, if it's suddenly sluggish on iOS 7 ill be really annoyed :p

zbarvian
Aug 26, 2013, 09:43 AM
Surely eventually they're going to realise how obvious it is though :\ the iPhone 5 is blazing fast on iOS 6, if it's suddenly sluggish on iOS 7 ill be really annoyed :p

I'm running beta 6 on my 5 and the animations are lethargic but it's mostly smooth. Rotation happens at like 6 fps, unfortunately. On the 4 it's not even worth using.

matttye
Aug 26, 2013, 09:48 AM
I'm running beta 6 on my 5 and the animations are lethargic but it's mostly smooth. Rotation happens at like 6 fps, unfortunately. On the 4 it's not even worth using.

Cool thanks!

Maybe they'll speed animations up if people shout loud enough.

stooovie
Aug 26, 2013, 09:54 AM

Hm, on my i5, even rotation is smooth. The ipad 4 is another case though - jerky and generally glitchy.

Menneisyys2
Aug 26, 2013, 09:58 AM

Definitely. See the 4.x update on the 3g, for example.

----------

Source?

Experience. Also mine.

C DM
Aug 26, 2013, 01:47 PM
Definitely. See the 4.x update on the 3g, for example.

----------

Experience. Also mine.Ah, so more of an opinion. Got it.

MikhailT
Aug 26, 2013, 02:24 PM
64bit != smoother or faster. Especially on a phone with limited RAM. Main advantage of 64bit is the ability to address more than 4GB RAM. Apple is nowhere near that limit.

The main reason to go 64bit is to proof the future.

Isn't 64bit overkill? The RAM won't certainly make use of it below 4gb.

It's not about the addressing 4GB of RAM. If Apple is using/testing 64-bit CPUs, that means they're likely customizing their own ARMv8 chips, which has several major changes to what the current ARMv7 chips are doing.

Simplified instruction set, additional registers, more specialized registers for some HW acceleration (like encryption) and so on can lead to much quicker CPUs at lower power consumption rate.

Not to mention, it can also have a faster interconnection bus, so that processing between CPU/GPU can be done quicker as well.

64-bit ARMv8 is not the same thing as ARMv7 with an additional 64-bit instruction set, it is far more than that.

ajay96
Aug 26, 2013, 02:27 PM
It comes to the point where I don't need anything smother than it already is. My phone runs fine so why upgrade?

Nanasaki
Aug 26, 2013, 04:00 PM
Agreed, I usually get new phones, not sure if it's age or I'm just steering to see sense, but I too am going to wait for the iPhone 6.

Meh... I am not upgrading until my iPhone 4S 3 year contract runs out on 2015. By the time. It will be iPhone 6S.... LOL

----------

It comes to the point where I don't need anything smother than it already is. My phone runs fine so why upgrade?

Because Apple wants you upgrade. By the way, which phone are you using. I think by the time my contract runs out on 2015, my phone will not even run any new apps. I am highly doubt iPhone 4S will get iOS 9, I want to, but not likely. Heck, it might not even get iOS 8

C DM
Aug 26, 2013, 04:11 PM
It's not about the addressing 4GB of RAM. If Apple is using/testing 64-bit CPUs, that means they're likely customizing their own ARMv8 chips, which has several major changes to what the current ARMv7 chips are doing.

Simplified instruction set, additional registers, more specialized registers for some HW acceleration (like encryption) and so on can lead to much quicker CPUs at lower power consumption rate.

Not to mention, it can also have a faster interconnection bus, so that processing between CPU/GPU can be done quicker as well.

64-bit ARMv8 is not the same thing as ARMv7 with an additional 64-bit instruction set, it is far more than that.And that's likely the bigger piece of information behind it all.

ajay96
Aug 26, 2013, 04:15 PM
Meh... I am not upgrading until my iPhone 4S 3 year contract runs out on 2015. By the time. It will be iPhone 6S.... LOL

----------

Because Apple wants you upgrade. By the way, which phone are you using. I think by the time my contract runs out on 2015, my phone will not even run any new apps. I am highly doubt iPhone 4S will get iOS 9, I want to, but not likely. Heck, it might not even get iOS 8

I'm currently on a 4S. I doubt it will get iOS 8 too but runs fine as of now.

Armen
Aug 26, 2013, 05:34 PM

What do you guys think?

What's there to think about? It runs fine on my iphone 5 and from other reports it runs fine on the 4S and iPad Mini as well.

This isn't Android where you need the latest/greatest hardware to run their latest software revision.

TommyA6
Aug 26, 2013, 08:18 PM
I'm currently on a 4S. I doubt it will get iOS 8 too but runs fine as of now.

There's no reason for you to doubt. It will most likely get iOS 8. Apple has never stopped updating 2 generations of the iDevices at the same time, and considering iPhone 4s is twice as fast in CPU and 7x in GPU (compared to 4), it means it will have enough to run iOS 8 (how it will run it is a different thing). :)

RoboWarriorSr
Aug 26, 2013, 08:43 PM
There's no reason for you to doubt. It will most likely get iOS 8. Apple has never stopped updating 2 generations of the iDevices at the same time, and considering iPhone 4s is twice as fast in CPU and 7x in GPU (compared to 4), it means it will have enough to run iOS 8 (how it will run it is a different thing). :)

Yeah it's going to be like the 3GS due to its internals, at least 4 iOS software updates before Apple ditches it. The reason it'll be ditch would be the lack of lightning connector and screen size. (One of the reason Apple stopped supporting 3GS is the not retina screen though I'm not too sure it would run ios 7 nicely anyway)

ajay96
Aug 27, 2013, 08:09 AM
Oh wow. Then I'm happy with my device for the. next few years.

Skika
Aug 27, 2013, 08:15 AM
Yeah it's going to be like the 3GS due to its internals, at least 4 iOS software updates before Apple ditches it. The reason it'll be ditch would be the lack of lightning connector and screen size. (One of the reason Apple stopped supporting 3GS is the not retina screen though I'm not too sure it would run ios 7 nicely anyway)

It would probably run better than the 4.

TommyA6
Aug 27, 2013, 09:53 AM

I would assume they stopped updating the 3GS due to it's limited RAM (only 256 mb)

RoboWarriorSr
Aug 27, 2013, 06:10 PM
I would assume they stopped updating the 3GS due to it's limited RAM (only 256 mb)

That's another reason, but having a HVGA screen and not retina, 256 MB isn't too little compared to the 4th Gen iPod Touch which showed that 256 MB is barely enough to push retina and the operating system.

SakuraSuki
Aug 27, 2013, 09:18 PM
That's another reason, but having a HVGA screen and not retina, 256 MB isn't too little compared to the 4th Gen iPod Touch which showed that 256 MB is barely enough to push retina and the operating system.

But iOS 7 is more resource hungry. 256MB definitely not going to cut. Even with 512MB, Safari frequently reloading pages.

oplix
Aug 28, 2013, 04:07 AM
if ios 7 runs slow on my iphone 5 that will be the end of apple products for me. Not gonna be suckered into that.

BvizioN
Aug 28, 2013, 04:16 AM

Technology moves on and people have to move with it or stay behind. As a matter of fact, Apple supporting a 3 year old phone with a new OS is impressive. Just have a look around and see how often the other phone brands/models get the latest OS.

bnnentertainmen
Aug 28, 2013, 12:17 PM
although the animations and graphics would be much smoother on the 5S but it doesnt mean that the iphone 5 (and below) dont run it well enough. they run it flawlessly, havent found any lags, low-quality graphics.

RoboWarriorSr
Aug 28, 2013, 12:39 PM
But iOS 7 is more resource hungry. 256MB definitely not going to cut. Even with 512MB, Safari frequently reloading pages.

I'm using my 4S and if I remember correctly I didn't reload pages frequently, either on iOS 6 and 7 (on the first 3 betas there were problems with Safari, contantly refreshing and slow, after beta 4 it became a lot better)

mcdj
Aug 28, 2013, 12:48 PM
iOS 7 much smoother on iPhone 5S due to 64 bit processing

Or not. (http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/082713-apple-iphone5s-chip-273251.html?hpg1=bn)

TommyA6
Aug 28, 2013, 04:09 PM
although the animations and graphics would be much smoother on the 5S but it doesnt mean that the iphone 5 (and below) dont run it well enough. they run it flawlessly, havent found any lags, low-quality graphics.

I think iPhone 5 will be pretty future proof. It is the only iPhone so far that got a significant CPU and GPU upgrade combined with upgraded RAM (4s only got faster CPU/GPU but retained 512 mb of RAM, and the 4 only got upgraded RAM, with CPU and GPU staying identical to 3GS (only 200 MHz bump to CPU, and slight bump to GPU).

watchthisspace
Aug 28, 2013, 05:51 PM
My turn, even though it's probably been mentioned.

64 /= Smoother O/S. An architectural change will bring bandwidth benefits, but for O/S animations, noope! Already been proven that iOS:7 will look and feel great on an iPhone 5.

Secondly, I don't expect Apple to make animations appear smoother on the new iPhone compared to the 5. E.g. the opening and closing apps will look the same as on iPhone 5.

What I would suspect will be that the 5s will be in a usable state faster than the 5 after an animation. But this won't be because of an architectural change.

Either way, the 5s will be overall faster and nippy device.

bnnentertainmen
Aug 29, 2013, 07:59 AM
I think iPhone 5 will be pretty future proof. It is the only iPhone so far that got a significant CPU and GPU upgrade combined with upgraded RAM (4s only got faster CPU/GPU but retained 512 mb of RAM, and the 4 only got upgraded RAM, with CPU and GPU staying identical to 3GS (only 200 MHz bump to CPU, and slight bump to GPU).

possible, but i own an iphone 5 ad havent seen any problems on it.

desithugsr
Aug 29, 2013, 08:42 AM
Wouldn't updating to the new 64-bit architecture require developers to overhaul their apps to support it? I am by no means a architecture expert, but it seems like there would be a significant gap between the current 32-bit apps vs. the potential for new ones.

Xenomorph
Aug 29, 2013, 11:19 AM
Being "64-bit" doesn't make things smoother.

A slow 64-bit CPU would run like crap compared to a fast 32-bit processor.

TommyA6
Aug 29, 2013, 12:40 PM
possible, but i own an iphone 5 ad havent seen any problems on it.

That's what I said :) . I own it too, and judging by some YouTube reviews of the 5 running iOS 7 beta it appears it is faster on 7 (beta) than on 6.
For ex. Sun spider scores are better, and web pages load faster. (And it beats all the competition there with 2013 hardware :) )

ScottishDuck
Aug 29, 2013, 02:41 PM
64bit != smoother or faster. Especially on a phone with limited RAM. Main advantage of 64bit is the ability to address more than 4GB RAM.

Why do people continuously propagate this when it's entirely untrue. 64-bit has a huge array of capabilities that 32-bit does not.

oplix
Aug 29, 2013, 02:47 PM
I think it's just another gimmick to perpetuate the never ending D measuring contest.

Ashin
Aug 29, 2013, 04:11 PM
The funny thing is that 64bit processing has more overhead, and typically runs slower than 32bit... obviously you won't notice it due to the cpu being higher spec anyway... but being 64bit has no effect on speed, at least not a positive one

MikhailT
Aug 29, 2013, 05:12 PM
The funny thing is that 64bit processing has more overhead, and typically runs slower than 32bit... obviously you won't notice it due to the cpu being higher spec anyway... but being 64bit has no effect on speed, at least not a positive one

Please provide sources of this, I'd like to understand why because this is the first time I've ever heard of this.

64-bit ARMv8 chips are going to be faster than 32-bit ARMv7 chips at the same clock speed and also more power efficient because one, the overhauled/simplified instruction set that they're doing for ARMv8, in addition to more specialized hardware registers for hardware-accelerated tasks.

The simpler the instruction set, the quicker it can process stuff per clock.

bnnentertainmen
Aug 30, 2013, 09:52 AM
That's what I said :) . I own it too, and judging by some YouTube reviews of the 5 running iOS 7 beta it appears it is faster on 7 (beta) than on 6.
For ex. Sun spider scores are better, and web pages load faster. (And it beats all the competition there with 2013 hardware :) )

it beats all the competition there with 2013 hardware? really? wow:eek:

JarScott
Aug 30, 2013, 10:19 AM
Nice! I can totally understand people who are choosing to stick with their 5s but I've had my iPhone 4 for the past two years and it's feeling so old now. That's why I'll be first in line for a 5S. I'll probably go for the 6 as well when that comes out because it'd be another big upgrade.

TommyA6
Aug 30, 2013, 12:12 PM
it beats all the competition there with 2013 hardware? really? wow:eek:

For ex. Sun spider scores are better, and web pages load faster. (And it beats all the competition there with 2013 hardware :) And it beats all the Android competition that use quad, octa or whatever core processors).

Wow indeed:) :apple:

teknikal90
Aug 30, 2013, 12:16 PM
For ex. Sun spider scores are better, and web pages load faster. (And it beats all the competition there with 2013 hardware :) And it beats all the Android competition that use quad, octa or whatever core processors).

what happens when the A7 comes out, are you going to make a new account called TommyA7?

Be real. Newer androids smack iPhone 5's butt from left to right and left again.

bripab007
Aug 30, 2013, 12:25 PM
Be real. Newer androids smack iPhone 5's butt from left to right and left again.

How so? Serious question. I don't keep up with all these benchmarks, but the last I remember, the iPhone 4 and 4S used to hold their own in, say, javascript benchmarks and such.

MikhailT
Aug 30, 2013, 02:46 PM
How so? Serious question. I don't keep up with all these benchmarks, but the last I remember, the iPhone 4 and 4S used to hold their own in, say, javascript benchmarks and such.

Here's the recent benchmarks from Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7107/htc-one-and-samsung-galaxy-s-4-google-play-edition-review-nearly-nexus/5

iPhone 5 is holding on but it is behind the recent Android devices, which is expected as we're talking about a device that's been on the market since Sept '12. However, it is certainly not being smacked around left and right for sure.

TommyA6
Aug 30, 2013, 02:53 PM
what happens when the A7 comes out, are you going to make a new account called TommyA7?

Be real. Newer androids lag from left to right and left again.

(Just a small correction.)

And regarding my account; I'm not a troll like somebody :) , so when the A7 soc is announced I'll proudly keep my old, slow name :)

apollo1444
Aug 30, 2013, 03:02 PM
what an assholic news if you ask me, it's the first ever big software update that the iPhone 5 will get and we're basically being told it will not run stellar.

When I upgraded my 4S to iOS 6 it ran flawlessly.

TommyA6
Aug 30, 2013, 03:16 PM
what an assholic news if you ask me, it's the first ever big software update that the iPhone 5 will get and we're basically being told it will not run stellar.

When I upgraded my 4S to iOS 6 it ran flawlessly.

It' not assholic news. In fact it's not news at all. It's just a rumor someone spread, nothing more. iPhone 5 will run ios7 perfectly fine. Just ask people who run iOS 7 beta on their 5. It runs great (with maybe some minor hiccups, which is expected for BETA software)

apollo1444
Aug 30, 2013, 03:18 PM
It' not assholic news. In fact it's not news at all. It's just a rumor someone spread, nothing more. iPhone 5 will run ios7 perfectly fine. Just ask people who run iOS 7 beta on their 5. It runs great (with maybe some minor hiccups, which is expected for BETA software)

I have it installed and while it is in fact stable. framedrops with the animations aren't looking very promising.

TommyA6
Aug 30, 2013, 03:24 PM
I have it installed and while it is in fact stable. framedrops with the animations aren't looking very promising.

It's a BETA. If by the time GM ships it still shows noticeable frame drops, (then) complain. I highly doubt it happens though. :)

teknikal90
Aug 30, 2013, 03:37 PM
(Just a small correction.)

And regarding my account; I'm not a troll like somebody :) , so when the A7 soc is announced I'll proudly keep my old, slow name :)

haha touche!

blackhand1001
Aug 30, 2013, 03:44 PM
64bit has absolutely nothing to do with the gpu processing uses to render the animations and scrolling. It also doesn't magically make things faster.

----------

Here's the recent benchmarks from Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7107/htc-one-and-samsung-galaxy-s-4-google-play-edition-review-nearly-nexus/5

iPhone 5 is holding on but it is behind the recent Android devices, which is expected as we're talking about a device that's been on the market since Sept '12. However, it is certainly not being smacked around left and right for sure.

Those browser benchmarks don't add up. My nexus 7 2013 with a slower clocked sd600 does much better than that. It sounds like they were using an ancient version of chrome. Also things like exynos 5250 dual core in the easily do 500-600ms sunspider scores but anandtech always lists it at like 1100-1300. I also have never seen another website post such inflated battery life times for the iphone 5. No one is realistically getting 8 hours of lte browsing time on it.

Heres what people are actually posting from the galaxy s4 for example.
http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx240/Tsepz/Screenshot_2013-05-01-22-26-24.png

bnnentertainmen
Aug 31, 2013, 10:31 AM

it means that the a7 chip would be even better, aw great! the 5S is definitely my next phone.:D

GoSh4rks
Aug 31, 2013, 04:47 PM
Those browser benchmarks don't add up. My nexus 7 2013 with a slower clocked sd600 does much better than that. It sounds like they were using an ancient version of chrome. Also things like exynos 5250 dual core in the easily do 500-600ms sunspider scores but anandtech always lists it at like 1100-1300. I also have never seen another website post such inflated battery life times for the iphone 5. No one is realistically getting 8 hours of lte browsing time on it.

Heres what people are actually posting from the galaxy s4 for example.
http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx240/Tsepz/Screenshot_2013-05-01-22-26-24.png

Anandtech was testing with sunspider 1.0. Your screenshot clearly says 0.9.1

blackhand1001
Aug 31, 2013, 07:08 PM
Anandtech was testing with sunspider 1.0. Your screenshot clearly says 0.9.1

When they ran the nexus 10 benchmark it was 0.9.1.

seble
Sep 1, 2013, 04:23 AM
Nice! I can totally understand people who are choosing to stick with their 5s but I've had my iPhone 4 for the past two years and it's feeling so old now. That's why I'll be first in line for a 5S. I'll probably go for the 6 as well when that comes out because it'd be another big upgrade.

This. I'll be selling the 5S (hopefully 128Gb) and a 32gig iphone 4 to help fund a 6. time will tell if I need those 128 gigs (if apple even release such a thing)