PDA

View Full Version : iPod exposes lame Japanese competitors

MacBytes
Nov 21, 2005, 07:32 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: iPod exposes lame Japanese competitors (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051121083205)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

mainstreetmark
Nov 21, 2005, 10:23 AM
You get to say "lame-ass" in Japan Today?

Daedalus256
Nov 21, 2005, 10:29 AM
Aww, for some reason I was expecting something like a bunch of low quality japanese rip-offs of the iPod, like the "iFrog" or like the "ePaw" or something. Too bad it's just about Sony.

Lacero
Nov 21, 2005, 10:48 AM
However, this is a lame-ass effort, given that the iPod is sexier, smaller, and cheaperLOL. Talk about unbiased reporting. That statement was too funny. The article seems to cry over Japanese makers like a mother trying to scold their children.

PCMacUser
Nov 21, 2005, 10:54 AM
It's only a matter of time before Apple complete their monopolisation of the electronic music industry. The Microsoft of music.

winmacguy
Nov 21, 2005, 11:48 AM
It's only a matter of time before Apple complete their monopolisation of the electronic music industry. The Microsoft of music.
Except that Apple has done something that Microsoft could never manage to achieve; become the number one product supplier by legal means. This means that even when Apple achieves 100% world domination for the MP3 player market with the iPod in about 6 months to 1 years time, they wont be 'hauled over the coals' by the US DOJ for having an "illegal monopoly" :p

Eidorian
Nov 21, 2005, 11:54 AM
Except that Apple has done something that Microsoft could never manage to achieve; become the number one product supplier by legal means. This means that even when Apple achieves 100% world domination for the MP3 player market with the iPod in about 6 months to 1 years time, they wont be 'hauled over the coals' by the US DOJ for having an "illegal monopoly" :pYeah, the market chose the iPod. It wasn't really forced onto Windows users at all. Mac users get crappy support from other companies. Then again we get the BEST iPod support through OS X with all of the semi-PDA features.

I bought my Mini since it'd seemlessly integrate with my library. iTunes has actually INCREASED my interest in managing my music, searching for new albums, and BUYING individual songs off of a CD.

Photorun
Nov 21, 2005, 09:44 PM
Except that Apple has done something that Microsoft could never manage to achieve; become the number one product supplier by legal means. This means that even when Apple achieves 100% world domination for the MP3 player market with the iPod in about 6 months to 1 years time, they wont be 'hauled over the coals' by the US DOJ for having an "illegal monopoly" :p

Feh, all Apple has to do is buy off the DOJ like Microshaft did by throwing big bucks at the Bush coffers which then their admin wiped M$'s antitrust problems clean (after all, the corrupt love the corrupt). Money can't buy you love, it can sure buy off politicians though.

2nyRiggz
Nov 21, 2005, 10:14 PM
good for apple, sucks for sony....

Bless

irmongoose
Nov 22, 2005, 08:12 AM
I also was surprised to find "lame-ass" in a news article.. until I realized I was at Japan Today. I don't mind the catered-for-foreigners stuff, but they just pale in comparison with real news sources like The Daily Yomiuri and the Japan Times.

:rolleyes:

Oh well, at least the guy knows what he's saying.

irmongoose

iGav
Nov 22, 2005, 09:18 AM
It's difficult to really disagree with that article isn't it, though I love the design of a couple of the Sony MP3 players and applaud them for taking their own steps as opposed to every other company that seems to rip the iPod off, particularly with regards to its navigation aesthetic/method.

Sony's problem is less about the actual hardware, and more the hardware/software/content integration, and that's where Apple have really aced it, that and a seemingly invincible brand in the iPod, of which Sony once had, and missed the boat with, the Walkman.

That said, Sony Ericsson's Walkman phones W800i, W550i and the W900i are vastly better than the Apple/Moto iTunes phone... so yeah, it works both ways.

Never underestimate Sony though... as and I'm sure that Job's and Apple don't.

Seasought
Nov 22, 2005, 09:25 AM
However, this is a lame-ass effort, given that the iPod is sexier, smaller, and cheaper, and since Mora only has a catalog of 200,000 tunes, users are flocking to the iTunes site instead.

lol

This wasn't hacked was it? Seems kind of a blunt and uncommon transition in language. I was picturing some respectable, suit-wearing journalist, very distinguished, speaking this to me. Suddenly he turns, very casually and says "However, this is a lame ass effort" (British accent). :D

iGav
Nov 22, 2005, 09:29 AM
[I]"However, this is a lame ass effort" (British accent). :D

we'd use 'arse' though... heheh.

Seasought
Nov 22, 2005, 09:33 AM
we'd use 'arse' though... heheh.

My apologies...hopefully the point is still made however. :D