Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

midniter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
I am trying to get imessages on my ipad2 and my iphone4s at the same time.

For example... Someone text msgs me on my iphone4s... and i want to get the same msg on my ipad2 & also be able to text msg back with my ipad2

I went to the apple.com website and they have instructions on how to do this... i followed them step by step... and still i am unable to text msg anyone with my ipad2 or send/ recieve imessages.

Others sites have mentioned to turn off the Imessages on both devices for couple minutes and turn them on.... and it should work... Did not work for me.

Any suggestions/ comments will be helpful ... thanks :)

midniter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
No i have not setup iCloud on my iphone 4s.
I have set up iCloud on my ipad2.

>> I want to send and recieve imessages using my ipad2 <<

Update: I signed into iCloud on 4s... with my apple id but i did not do 'back up' yet.... as I want to save memory on my 4s.
Tried turning off imessages on both devices and turned them back on... still wont work

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
What version of iOS are on your iPad and your iPhone? I believe they must both be on iOS 5 or above.

Which steps have you tried? Perhaps you can post a link to a site whose instructions you have followed.

Especially important, have you done the following on your iPhone?
"To use iMessage with your Apple ID, navigate to Settings > Messages > Receive At and tap Use your Apple ID for iMessage."

Last edited:

midniter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Ipad2 ____6.1.3
Iphone 4s __Jailbroken, 5.1.1, 2.0.12, Sprint.

http://www.apple.com/ios/messages/

If you scroll to the bottom of the page... you can see the Apple instructions.

"To use iMessage with your Apple ID, navigate to Settings > Messages > Receive At and tap Use your Apple ID for iMessage."

Yes i did try these instructions. But still imessage dont work on my ipad2

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Okay, so now on your iPhone, Settings > Messages > Send&Receive, you have your Apple ID at the top, then under that, you have your phone number, plus your Apple ID email address?

And on your iPad, it looks the same?

What happens if you send messages from your iPad?

midniter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Okay, so now on your iPhone, Settings > Messages > Send&Receive, you have your Apple ID at the top, then under that, you have your phone number, plus your Apple ID email address?

And on your iPad, it looks the same?

What happens if you send messages from your iPad?

On my ipad i only see my apple id email
When i send imessage from my ipad it say 'Not delivered"

So How do i add my phone number above my apple id email ? It only allows me to add another email

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
On my ipad i only see my apple id email
When i send imessage from my ipad it say 'Not delivered"

That's weird, your phone number should also show on your iPad. I can't remember now what I did to get it to do that. :(

And you can't send any messages out from your iPad? Even if you try to send to the person's iMessage email rather than their phone number?

midniter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
I dont know anyone imessage email
I just have phone numbers in my Contacts

You think i may have to update my iphone 4s to Os 6?

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I dont know anyone imessage email
I just have phone numbers in my Contacts

You think i may have to update my iphone 4s to Os 6?

Well, maybe that's the problem. Do you know anyone with iMessage who is willing to give you their email?

Also, you do realize that in otrder to send iMessage to and from the iPad, the other person also has to have their iMessage enabled, right?

Have no idea if updating your iPhone will help, and I'm guessing it's not worth losing your jailbreak.

midniter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
At the moment I dont think I can ask any1 for their imessage email

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
At the moment I dont think I can ask any1 for their imessage email

What i am trying to do right now is Restore my iphone 4s to 6.0.0 and then Jailbreak it and see if the OS 5 was the problem

Update: Won't Restore to 6.0.0... downloading 6.0.1

Any harm in restoring to 6.1.3 ?

I think you just lost your jailbreak. If I remember correctly, you can't restore to anything other than 6.1.3, and that is not jailbreakable.

midniter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Itunes would not restore to any older firmware, so i gave up on that.
And I still have my JB of 5.1.1

So I guess nothing much can be done about it... Unless i un-jailbreak to 6.1.3 on my 4s

Last edited:

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I would of waited until you can ask someone to send you a message via their iMessage email addy before trying to restore or anything. Have you tried going into your apple ID account and seeing if you can add the number there?

Maybe this step by step link might help:

http://randomnerds.com/2012/09/24/m...your-phone-number-for-facetimeimessage-bliss/

Just curious have you tried sending a message to yourself? Like from your phone first? Just to see if you will receive it on your ipad then try send a reply on your ipad just to see if that will send...since you mentioned you tried sending and it failed.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
You need iOS 6 installed on the 4S for the Apple ID+Phone Number merge. Otherwise it won't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.