Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
Well, this was quite unexpected...

4kh1.jpg

Nintendo.co.uk

:apple:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Oh my word that looks awful...

Although apparently it comes out as the same day as the new Pokemon, and combined with the lower price, could make parents give in to pester power from younger children!

I does make sense for 7ish year olds, as there's no hinge to break and no 3D to make their eyes go funny :p

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'd be very interested to see the sales figures for this! It looks awful and has less functionality than the regular 3DS'.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
That is disgusting.

I get what they're trying to do - a cheaper system that plays 3DS/DS games, achieved by cutting a few features (3D...), but the design is terrible. The clamshell design protected the screens, whereas these are going to get scratched by its target market of kids, and take up way more space in a bag than needed. They should have taken the standard 3DS and simply stripped the parallax screen out and maybe changed the plastics.

Nintendo, the 80s called and want their stuff back. Oh, and I shudder to imagine the circle pro accessory for this one...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
That is just stupid. I agree they should have just kept the original design and taken the effects out.

Actually, and now that I say that, I would have REALLY liked that so I could switch my 3DS for it. I already turn the 3D off because it makes me sick.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Everyone who says this is awful - this isn't for you.

It is a system designed for children 7 and under whose eyes are still developing and 3D is not recommended for. It fits that both in the no hinge design, which is more durable and in price point that is almost impulse levels for parents.

I see tons of these being sold along side Pokemon X or Y this holiday season.

I think it'll look better in person too than the images give it credit. Kids will love this system. For adults the 3DS XL is the handheld console for you.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK

It is a system designed for children 7 and under whose eyes are still developing and 3D is not recommended for. It fits that both in the no hinge design, which is more durable and in price point that is almost impulse levels for parents.

I see tons of these being sold along side Pokemon X or Y this holiday season.

I think it'll look better in person too than the images give it credit. Kids will love this system. For adults the 3DS XL is the handheld console for you.

Rubbish. This system is for me, because I am physically incapable of seeing 3D due to a defect in one eye. It's not just for children under 7 (and why are you buying them a console in the first place?), it's for people who want a cheaper unit and no 3D gimmick for whatever reason.

Yes the lack of hinge is more durable, but at the expense of making the screens incredibly vulnerable to scratches. I'd rather have a hinge that may, or may not, break, over an exposed screen that will get scratched.

Mark my words, this will end up like the last refresh of the Wii, ignored.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles

$130 is a an impulse buy price point for a toy for a kid 7 years of age or younger? Really? Added durability is up for debate. There is longer a hinge to break but now the screens are exposed.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

And (possibly worst of all!) it's MONO.
It's similar to how we got that PSP "street" version here, without wifi or stereo speakers. Sometimes I wonder what goes on in the minds of these manufacturers.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
$130 is a an impulse buy price point for a toy for a kid 7 years of age or younger? Really? Added durability is up for debate. There is longer a hinge to break but now the screens are exposed.

For many $130 is an impulse buy for a kid - if not an impulse - it is something very easy to pick up as a birthday or Christmas present.

The screen is indented so laying it on the table won't scratch it - the hinge was a problem with younger kids. I think they will sell a ton of those cases that go along with it so you can just throw it in your backpack and go. But, this is for sure a 7 and under gaming console and its cool they are making a device just for that age group.

----------

Rubbish. This system is for me, because I am physically incapable of seeing 3D due to a defect in one eye. It's not just for children under 7 (and why are you buying them a console in the first place?), it's for people who want a cheaper unit and no 3D gimmick for whatever reason.

Yes the lack of hinge is more durable, but at the expense of making the screens incredibly vulnerable to scratches. I'd rather have a hinge that may, or may not, break, over an exposed screen that will get scratched.

The market Nintendo is going after with this is 7 and under. Sure there will be some adults that want this too, but it is designed with children in mind. The 3DS XL is for adults that have more room in the budget for more expensive hardware. You can simply turn off 3D if its not something you use.

It is a device designed for children and many older folks will opt for it as well. This device has a market - the Wii mini did not and I'm not sure who they released it for except the collector market :)

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
And (possibly worst of all!) it's MONO.
It's similar to how we got that PSP "street" version here, without wifi or stereo speakers. Sometimes I wonder what goes on in the minds of these manufacturers.

Oh that PSP was stupid. UMD games only? Really? Bad Sony!

For many $130 is an impulse buy for a kid - if not an impulse - it is something very easy to pick up as a birthday or Christmas present.

The screen is indented so laying it on the table won't scratch it - the hinge was a problem with younger kids. I think they will sell a ton of those cases that go along with it so you can just throw it in your backpack and go. But, this is for sure a 7 and under gaming console and its cool they are making a device just for that age group.
You clearly don't have kids, or be around them much. Kids don't put things in cases, it just gets chucked in a bag along with pens, pads with ring binders etc.

Also totally not sold that there is a massive untapped market of under 7s. At that age I was running round the garden and wanting a bike.

If Nintendo sold me a 3DS XL with a 2D screen for £30 less I would be all over it, and it would have appeal across all ages. This...thing...just lacks appeal full stop. I can see why they wanted a cheaper unit, and that the only way to do it was to cut 3D, but that did not mandate a redesign into this freak.

Last edited:

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Oh that PSP was stupid. UMD games only? Really? Bad Sony!

You clearly don't have kids, or be around them much. Kids don't put things in cases, it just gets chucked in a bag along with pens, pads with ring binders etc.

Also totally not sold that there is a massive untapped market of under 7s. At that age I was running round the garden and wanting a bike.

If Nintendo sold me a 3DS XL with a 2D screen for £30 less I would be all over it, and it would have appeal across all ages. This...thing...just lacks appeal full stop. I can see why they wanted a cheaper unit, and that the only way to do it was to cut 3D, but that did not mandate a redesign into this freak.

I think once you hold it you'll get what the design is all about - I also think it may be more durable than we give it credit for - the Vita and the iPad also have an open glass style design.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles

Maybe we have different definitions of "impulse buy" but I thought the common usage was for buying something on a lark (like a pack of gum at the check out counter or a $30 R/C helicopter in a bargain bin). $130 on the spur of a moment for a child 7 or younger (not just a kid, but a very young child) is a lot of cash for the average American family. As a special gift (xmas, b-day, etc.,) maybe put that seems more like planned purchase to me, not an impulse buy.

If Nintendo puts in gorilla glass (or any equivalent) the odds are good it will hold up, but only time will tell.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
If I were in the market for a new Nintendo handheld, I'd consider the 2DS over the 3DS. I currently have a 3DSxl and while I do enjoy it, the worst feature is the 3D. 3D is a stupid, gimmicky feature that just gives me a headache. I'd gladly pay less for a 2D-only version.

and yes, I agree that the 2DS looks stupid.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I think once you hold it you'll get what the design is all about - I also think it may be more durable than we give it credit for - the Vita and the iPad also have an open glass style design.

Yep, and I've lost count of the number of scratched Vitas and PSPs I've seen. I baby my handhelds, yet one of my PSPs has a small screen scratch (we have four in the house, an original launch PSP, a PSP Lite, PSP Go and a Vita)

iPads have glass covering the screen, providing protection. The 2DS doesn't.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Great idea.

HORRIBLE execution!

Sounds like a finishing move from Mortal Kombat ;)

But yeah I don't know why they didn't just release it as a flipper but with just 2D supported. Heck I don't even turn on the 3D in my 3DS as I just can never get into the sweet spot for it to work and not give me a headache - so if this had been an option as a flipper I would have picked it up instead of my Animal Crossing 3DS-XL.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
And here is the explanation:

Nintendo 2DS features one big touch screen, not two separate displays

Nintendo 2DS was unveiled last night and a fresh report from the States confirms that the handhelds dual screens are in fact one singular touch screen.

A report from USGamer states that the single screen is split into two by the console’s plastic casing, and that the upper portion is protected by a plastic sheet. In theory, modders could remove the sheet and use the top part of the screen as a touch panel as well as the lower portion.

The site adds that the rationale behind having one big screen is cost-driven, as it is much cheaper to manufacture a single touch screen that have two separate displays.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/29/nin...e-big-touch-screen-not-two-separate-displays/

Pretty clever! But that doesn't make it less ugly... :)

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I'm getting one.

It's cheap, probably built like a tank and it plays current Nintendo games.

Sold.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I just can't get over the fact that it's mono. Has anyone tried the fake surround-sound the 3DS has? It's pretty convincing! Seems crazy to drop that considering a speaker part is extremely cheap and has no licensing costs.

Yep, and I've lost count of the number of scratched Vitas and PSPs I've seen. I baby my handhelds, yet one of my PSPs has a small screen scratch (we have four in the house, an original launch PSP, a PSP Lite, PSP Go and a Vita)

If I ever got a scratch on my PSP's I'd cry :p

Mad if true! But wouldn't it drain battery more? The larger the touchscreen element, the wasted pixels being lit under the case... it all adds up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.