Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

John Leake, co-host of the RetroMacCast, has crafted a 1/3 scale miniature replica of the Mac Plus (via Cult of Mac). The computer, which he calls the "Mini Mac", is made from a Raspberry Pi, PVC, and a Linux-based Mac emulator running System 6.

minimac-800x747.jpg
The mini computer's casing was created from sheets of 3M Sintra PVC plastic, which were shaped with an X-Acto knife and then sanded. The monitor is a 3.5-inch composite LCD panel, held in with two brackets and velcro, and it all runs on a Raspberry Pi. It also includes Wi-Fi, an HDMI port, two USB ports, with a Bluetooth dongle to be added in the future.

Constructing the tiny Mac required Leake to cut the SD card, trim the USB cable, and solder wires to bypass the power connector. Leake has a detailed description of how he built the computer on his blog, and during a podcast, he mentions that it took him 12 hours to build. If he produces more Mini Macs in the future, he plans to use a 3D printer.

Article Link: 1/3 Scale Classic Macintosh Made With Raspberry Pi

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Cutest.
Thing.
Ever.

WANT!

Is it weird that I want a little mini working keyboard to go with it? (Even if you need a little pointer to use the keys?)
Or I'll settle for an iPhone keyboard that syncs to it. Using a regular sized keyboard for this little cutie just seems wrong... :D

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Wow! So cute! Besides the fact it works, I'm impressed with all the bevel cuts in the plastic. ---Particularly for the screen. Hand cut or routed with a template?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
That is ridic.

My Raspberry Pi is still in the box... What have most used it for?

Right now:

- NAS
- Aquarium Camera server
- CCTV
- 2x for dev servers
- VOIP box
- 2x Plex Clients for media streaming
- 1x spare

Plenty of stuff to do with it :D

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
Right now:

- NAS
- Aquarium Camera server
- CCTV
- 2x for dev servers
- VOIP box
- 2x Plex Clients for media streaming
- 1x spare

Plenty of stuff to do with it :D

You can also use RPi for home automation, streaming with RASPBMC, etc. I have two RPi and added remote control, connected with arduino boards, etc. Pretty fun stuff.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Kinda wish they could make full-sized Classic Macs and have all the old Mac software on it. I miss Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, Oregon Trail, Number Munchers, etc.

Unfortunately, even with this, how soon will Apple sue?

Renzatic

Suspended
That is ridic.

My Raspberry Pi is still in the box... What have most used it for?

What rmweb said, plus many, many more things. I'm pretty sure at lest 3 people have made flying robots using one.

If I were a better program (read: I could program at all), I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Hell, I might learn how to program specifically so I could do awesome things with it.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
This ... is ... awesome ...

Where can I buy ? Crowd source and bring it to market; only problem: :apple: will not like it. They should and even promote.

Renzatic

Suspended
Kinda wish they could make full-sized Classic Macs and have all the old Mac software on it. I miss Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, Oregon Trail, Number Munchers, etc.

It'd be a DIY project, but with the board from this, a shell from a broken classic Mac, a screen, and a tiny bit of knowhow, you could have a full sized classic Mac with all those games on it.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
This is fantastic. would it run on a regular screen/sound system via the HDMI?

I'd love to play some old school Myst on one.

I can't watch the video from where I am, but does System 6 just install on it, or need to be hacked? would System 7/8 work?

Really if I could find a good replacement something that could run system 9.2 I'd be jumping up and down :) but I doubt this would.

Edit: Nevermind, just read it's a linux emulator. but still very cool.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
What rmweb said, plus many, many more things. I'm pretty sure at lest 3 people have made flying robots using one.

Yep you can, quite a few people have used a 3D printer to print out the parts and then have a Pi running the show. I plan on trying it out myself and writing a little iPhone app to control it. Just gotta finish calibrating my RepRap before I can give it a go tho :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.